General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you feel secure running alone at night? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-11-21 12:28 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Do you feel secure running alone at night?
There's a park in front of my house, half a mile there, half mile loops, half mile back.  Now that it's getting dark so early it's harder to fit runs in so I end up going to an indoor track or treadmill (I work nights and in the morning do my group strength/swims and I like to separate workouts to have more energy for the second, so I sleep in-between workouts).  I have a headlamp with ample of light.  Someone told me they'd rather run on the street than on a dark park loop because of the fear of being kidnapped.  Where do you run, do you consider parks safe at night (night == 6p-9p) and do you run by yourself at night?

2012-11-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4506305

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: RE: Do you feel secure running alone at night?
It's very different for me since I'm a male but I feel very secure when I run at night, in terms of being attacked. I'm just scared Ill get run over. There's a park 1.8 miles away and I can only get there by a major road. Could run on the sidewalk but don't like it... And the park has several street lamps to keep it well lit.
2012-11-21 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I run at night by myself but i do change my route mostly just because of poorer lighting and ultimately footing (we get snow and such) - I live near a couple of big parks - one i will run the main loop of the park - it's paved, lit,and still pretty well populated while the other is by a river and it is not lit at all and there have been a couple of assaults there over the years so i tend to avoid it. 

I do live in a very safe neighbourhood so that makes a big difference - it's also quite pedestrian oriented and we have some nice shopping/restaurant areas around so they make great running routes when the daylight hours recede.  I do try to be cautious and be seen but am not afraid of kidnapping or robbery or anything - more about cars and not being hit or tripping on things I can't see. 

2012-11-21 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

You might want to consider carrying some personal protection for night-runs.

This can be anything from pepper spray to a small firearm in addition to a cell phone and possibly a storm whistle. Since you live in NV, I am not sure about your laws in regard to open/concealed carrying maze, knives or firearms. 

While I am not worried about assault by humans, I am concerned from time to time about dogs, coyotes and snakes.

2012-11-21 12:43 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
The park's loop is completely enclosed and it has lamps but they turn them off if there's not a baseball game going on (there's a small baseball field).
2012-11-21 12:43 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I'm a 6' 2", 205lb male, so I'm probably not your target audience for this, but yes, I feel safe.

There are probably not too many folks that would look at me and think "yup, we should kidnap that guy".  I'm MUCH more concerned about traffic - I had a guy intentionally try to hit me with his truck as I crossed an intersection (with the light!) two Saturday's ago; apparently he didn't want to wait for me to make his left turn.

All that being what it is - I almost exclusively do all of my running on the sidewalks around my house. I will not run in the street, and if you saw traffic where I live, you wouldn't either.  It is a mostly urban/suburban area and all of my running is done along major roads.  Plenty of light to see where my feet are hitting, intersections are controlled by traffic lights.

Don't be afraid to double-up on workouts, it's a very good kind of exhaustion... you may find that you like it

2012-11-21 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

AS A female I probably would, even as an older Male I used to have the occasional misgiving about it till

My son gave ME his WKA sweatshirt  its bright white and in reflective letters across the back Has CDN Karate Champion stamped on it... I figure it might possible deture any would be idiots or at least make them think twice.Wink

2012-11-21 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4506334

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
cgregg - 2012-11-21 1:43 PM

I'm a 6' 2", 205lb male, so I'm probably not your target audience for this, but yes, I feel safe.

Was thinking the same thing.  At 6'6" 230 there isn't much that makes me intimidated.  But when the wife goes out for a run in the evening it makes me a tad nervous...

2012-11-21 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

I have done many miles at night running and cycling alone, male obviously. I don't really worry about being seen running, I almost prefer not to be seen by motorist as long as I can spot them! In my area running at night seems to draw the attention of bored/drunk kids, it is easier for me to avoid traffic at night because there is less of it, I can see and hear them sooner, things like that. Since I run against the flow of traffic-being seen isn't an issue-just stay alert for an escape route. My town is semi rural so animals are about, but animals, except dogs, really aren't interested in people-I promise, unless you are running in some truly wild area our local collection of coyotes, bob cats, snakes, skunks and whatever are not a threat. Dogs at night are the same as dogs in the day time-whatever you normally do-yell at them, squirt them with a water bottle, run faster-just do that.

A female alone would probably bring out the proprietorial types and that is unfortunate. I doubt kidnapping is as real a threat as just general harassment and unpleasantness-that would depend on the area you are in mostly.

Another thread on this topic someone noted that pre-dawn-after 4am is safer than late night. It is an in between time-most of the malicious types have gone to bed or wherever they go and the rushed, absent minded commuters haven't emerged yet

Edited by Av8rTx 2012-11-21 1:16 PM
2012-11-21 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4506379

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I run alone at night, but never in a secluded place. I will run on the sidewalks of a street with traffic and through the little downtown area of shops by my house.    I will run on the street, but only in the very well lit and very quiet streets near my house where I know the crime stats.  I avoid paths where I feel like I have no escape or wouldn't see many people.  Even if I just hurt myself, I want to be near some place with traffic.

For safety I always wear a reflective vest (I have a new one with built-in LEDs, super cool), my headlamp, and lots of reflective clothing.  Ninja runners are not cool.

I am a girl, and sort of a wimpy one, although I have about 50 lbs on you.

2012-11-21 1:24 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Where I live is pretty safe, even at night. And I run with my dog (and I STILL can't tire her out), so other than hating to be in the cold and dark, I feel secure. OTOH, where my daughter lives, I would not want to run alone, even in the daytime, due to the high crime rate and frequency of robberies, even in the middle of the day.

2012-11-21 1:26 PM

Secure, yes.  But I can see it being an issue for women, or if you live in a high crime neighborhood.  For one, if there was a rapist coming after me, I feel sorry for the rapist.  And I am far from the ideal robbery victim,  I carry nothing really, even if they stole my shoes, it would just be an excuse for me to buy new ones!!!

I do worry about stepping on large rocks, branches, other debris, or having my ankle roll from uneven pavement, cracks, potholes, etc...

Although the question does bring to mind something I read awhile ago.  If someone tries to abduct you at gunpoint, your odds are far better if you run.  I think it was a Department of Justice study.  First the gunman would have to decide to shoot at you, then they would have to hit you, then hit you critically.  The odds of those things decrease substantially in that order.

Once my kids are older and there is someone home to walk a dog, I am looking forward to having a beautiful german shepard as a running companion though, and I am sure that will be very discouraging for anyone with evil intent.

2012-11-21 1:49 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I run in the bike lane going against traffic - with head lamp, blinky lamp, reflective clothing and no ear buds. If no bike lane, I run in the street against traffic. Never on a sidewalk as even with a headlamp I trip over things a lot. 

In general I try to stay on populated streets so if anything should happen, there would be witnesses and help close by. That said, I'm probably 100x less paranoid than most of my friends, who won't seem to set foot outdoors after 6 p.m. Meh.

2012-11-21 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think the most scared I have been running was in the middle of the day on a very deserted country road where a pickup with 4 guys in it pulled over next to me.  I agree that I would stick to more populated areas if running at night.  I usually just don't do it though.
2012-11-21 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

NO!! That is why I run in the dark in the morning. (Bad guys don't wake up until noon). 

Seriously though. My female running buddy will not run the bike paths alone in the dark. 

Maybe try and find a running buddy or two from your local tri or running club. (NOT on CL!!!

2012-11-21 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
No, as i worry about spraining an ankle ;-)  If I run in the dark I will run on a flat and smooth multi-use trail near my house where I don't have to worry about landing in a pothole or edge of a curb or something.

2012-11-21 2:21 PM

User image

Seattle

Somewhat. Mostly because I know most of em can't catch me Wink

and for those who can? I have pepper spray.

In all seriousness, it's like anything. You just have to be very aware and smart about the routes you select. Also, letting at least one person know where you are going to be. Other than that, there is a certain amount of risk associated with nearly everything we do. 

*When I run alone I tend to stay away from heavily wooded areas with low visibility.

Edited by Asalzwed 2012-11-21 2:22 PM
2012-11-21 2:32 PM

Expert
Scared of vehicles, not scared of people bc I'm too ugly to be messedwith.
2012-11-21 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Now the weather is cooler in Arizona, I enjoy running around Tempe Town Lake during weekday evenings, just after the sun has set.  I'm never worried though as there are always tons of other runners and cyclists around on the paths/gravel tracks, and I'll even listen to music too.  Alternatively I run a 1-mile loop around a local high school, using either the wide paths or on the road (facing traffic with reflective hat and blinkey arm light), but I usually don't run with headphones for these runs as I have to be very aware of crazy parents coming out of the 3 school exits and trying to kill me (4 incidents so far).

However, saying all this, I'm a 5'10" 180 lb Amazon, so that might put some prospective attackers off! 

2012-11-21 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Unfotunately most of my runs are either in the early AM or at night. No worries about people or traffic, but what scares me is when I hear the eerie sounds of fisher cats or coyotes. If you have ever heard a fisher car, you will know what I mean. This is why I do not run with music when it's dark.
2012-11-21 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

Two months ago I would have said "No".  However, I then got chased by a man in broad daylight

During the summer I did a few runs late at night to avoid the heat, I actually feel safer running in dark clothes and down dark neighborhood streets (off the main roads where perp's can't see/find me).  However, I do avoid trails where vagrants can hide.

Most of the crimes in my neighborhood are gang related so I hadn't worried much.

I considered getting a little .38 w/ a short barrel, but who am I kidding?  I don't even run with a phone.

Now I run with either a can of mace (much lighter than a sidearm) and/or my new running partner (60 lb and growing GSD/Lab mix)
I also run w/ friends.

2012-11-21 3:02 PM

User image

I run mainly in the early morning before it gets light. I am female. I am not worried about being attacked or kidnapped but more about debris underfoot or uneven paving that I cannot see. For this reason I run on well lit sidewalks and wear reflective clothing so that cars can see me. If you feel unsafe running in the park then I would suggest that you run elsewhere or get a couple of friends to run with.
2012-11-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: #4506532

User image

Master
Grand Prairie
geauxtri - 2012-11-21 2:56 PM

I considered getting a little .38 w/ a short barrel, but who am I kidding?  I don't even run with a phone.

Diamond Back makes a good model.

With a belly holster not a problem at all.

2012-11-21 3:43 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I do feel secure personally, acknowledging that there are people who certainly may not for a number of valid reasons.

I am concerned about things I encounter while training though; accidents, people who have been sick or injured that I come across. I want to be able to call the police/911 if I come across an accident or a person in distress.

About a year ago I found a man who had just been hit and run over by a car laying in the street while riding. He was alive when I got to him, I adminstered what aid I could and flagged down a person with a cell phone to call 911. He coded out while I was working on him, I couldn't get him back. Lots of damage. When the responders showed up he was only gone for a few minutes so they might have been able to bring him back but he was too old and there was too much damage, so he did not survive.

When that happens again, as it inevitably will with a traffic accident or whatever, I'd like to somehow be better prepared. Even if it means having a small cell phone with me to call for help.

2012-11-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4506556

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

I read some of the posts in this thread just now and part of it has sort of morphed into one of those manly, "Dude, you should carry a .357 with you..." kind of threads.

It's always worth interjecting some much needed reality into this.

Assuming you have basic firearms safety knowledge and legally own a firearm, try this at the range:

Do a two mile run at training pace. Hit the bench, retirieve your weapon and engage a target within your "lethal circle" range, the distance an adversary can close before you can react, maybe 7 feet. Place two rounds center mass.

If you placed even one, you are a good combat shooter. Now, consider that the target you just engaged was highly cooperative. It kept still. It is light out. You aren't under emotional stress. Add those factors and imagine your effectiveness at engaging a threat.

Not practical or realistic.

Best defense? Avoidance. Caution. Situational Awareness. Visibility. Sticking to areas you feel secure even if its the health club treadmill.

Rambo tactics? not so much.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you feel secure running alone at night? Rss Feed  

of 3