All Community Events
22F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before was something of a nutritional nightmare. I ate dinner at this gastropub~ had bone marrow, fried brussels sprouts, mussels, chimmichurri nachos, and quite a few beers. Hardly the diet I would normally eat the night before a race, but whatevs. This race was kind of an afterthought.
Up @ 7AM, and I stopped at Dunkin Donuts for a coffee. It was God awful cold this morning, the temperature when I got to Busse Woods was 21 degrees. I ended up sitting in the car because I was too darn cold to stand outside. Trying to figure out layering for this was a challenge. I opted for an Under Armour cold gear baselayer, a long sleeve tech tee, and a thermal shirt to throw away if need be. Also did compression boxers under my shorts, wool socks, full skull beanie, and gloves. This turned out to be the perfect amount of layering (note to self for future).
Event warmup:

No warmup, it was so freaking cold I sat in the car until 10 minutes before the gun. I seeded myself with the 10 minute pace group. For a "community" 1/2 there were about 1500 runners which was kind of nice.
Run
  • 2h 18m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt a little tight at the start- I was so darn cold it was going to take a while to warm up and get the blood flowing. First 2 miles were just trying to stay warm and maintain a sub-11 pace. By the 5K mark I was feeling great. I crossed 5K at 32 minutes, so I figured I could increase my pace to 10~
Next two miles I rolled through, I felt awesome and started passing some people. At mile 5.5 I was pretty warm and sweaty, so I stopped at the aid station to pee and ditch my top layer. Timing of this was good too as I came out of the port-a-potties and found some of my CARA friends from marathon training this summer. This made the rest of the way a piece of cake. I dropped my pace to 9:30 up to mile 11 at which point my HR was screaming. I still felt awesome though, so ended up finishing the race at about 10:30. Figured I could finish in 2:15, came in at 2:18. Hardly my best effort, but it was OK. Felt better than I ever have in a half.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, maybe work on pace a little more. I could have pushed harder and broken 2:15, but without any warmup (it was 22 out), I couldn't control that.
I did GU's at the start, mile 5, and mile 10. This was a good strategy, I'm going to continue with that in the future and bypass the Gatorade.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried not to freeze my a$$ off. I wasn't hungry or thirsty, so I went to the Lifetime in Schaumburg. Sat in the hot tub for 20 minutes, then steamed for another 10. By the time I left I felt normal again.

Event comments:

Definitely a fun race! I would recommend this one if you're looking for something beyond a 5K Turkey Trot. They even gave finishers medals which was cool. Swag was pretty nice too- long sleeve 1/4 zip fleece are always useful.

Last updated: 2012-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:01 | 13.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg HR was like 170, but I think that reading was off. I'd put it closer to about 160 or so.
Course: Busse Woods, from Higgins and Route 53 all the way around the preserve. 2 lane blacktop trail, about 8 feet wide.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-24 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: Schaumburg Half Marathon

2012-11-24 6:28 PM
in reply to: #4508774

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Schaumburg Half Marathon

Great report Matt! 

I ran the Schaumburg 1/2 mary  in 09 and 2010    I liked it as well.      Did not run it this year or last  but in 2010 it was REALLY cold  just like you described it.        I used to train constantly in Busse woods.  knew every inch of the course.   Usually I do not know a 13.1 course so well.    At times I think its a good thing to not know a course so intimately  to not know exactly what is coming, or really fathom just how far it is you are running and how far there is left to go.    Other times its an asset     Either way both years I kicked butt there.     And thought it to be a well put together event. 

Congrats!

2012-11-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4508774

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Schaumburg Half Marathon
Thanks, Dave!  This is one I'd definitely do again.  We'll have to coordinate on 2013 races.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Schaumburg Half Marathon Rss Feed