General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-11-18 11:05 PM
in reply to: #4509327

User image

Platte City
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
Whoa there...step back and look at it objectively and without the post race emotions...the guy was probably trying to motivate you....I loved the fact the volunteers in the tents were pushing me. It was all too easy to sit down and not want to move. I had a 1:47 t2 thanks to the volunteer putting up with my jokes about peeing myself while pushing me out the door. That guy was a saint, I wish I knew who he was so I could thank him better! I couldn't be paid enough to stand in that cess pool!

I couldn't believe how incredibly amazing and supportive every single volunteer was. It was surreal. I had a heck of a good first race, and I can see why paying wtc gobs of money is worth it.

I had a great time. I can't imagine a much better day. Congrats to everybody on their finishes!

2013-11-18 11:19 PM
in reply to: thepaul500

User image

Expert
Anaheim Hills, CA
First Ironman in the books. I have to be honest, when I got out of the hospital and got cleared for exercise about 7 weeks ago I thought I may not even make the start line. As IMAZ got closer and closer I focused on just making sure that I had a decent swim and a good bike so I'd have enough time to walk most of the marathon. That is pretty much exactly how it happened. Swim was ok, I really thought it would clear up a few hundred into the swim and it just never did. I kept swimming into people who were at a dead stop in the water and found it really hard to get into a good rhythm. I was really happy with my bike. I got off feeling really good. It wasn't until about mile 4 when I started getting blisters on the bottom of my feet. About mile 10 my ITB took over and I had to shuffle it in.

Overall the experience was amazing and had a great time out there. Congrats to all of us!!
2013-11-19 7:51 AM
in reply to: thepaul500

Originally posted by thepaul500

Whoa there...step back and look at it objectively and without the post race emotions...the guy was probably trying to motivate you....I loved the fact the volunteers in the tents were pushing me. It was all too easy to sit down and not want to move. I had a 1:47 t2 thanks to the volunteer putting up with my jokes about peeing myself while pushing me 8the door. That guy was a saint, I wish I knew who he was so I could thank him better! I couldn't be paid enough to stand in that cess pool!

I couldn't believe how incredibly amazing and supportive every single volunteer was. It was surreal. I had a heck of a good first race, and I can see why paying wtc gobs of money is worth it.

I had a great time. I can't imagine a much better day. Congrats to everybody on their finishes!

No race emotions involved. He was a jerk. Even after I made it clear to him that he was p - ing me off, he continued his tirade. Even the other volunteers were miffed by his behavior. Another athlete sitting next to me felt the same way I did.

I have volunteered several times for IM events. I would never consider such insolent behavior to be "motivating." As a volunteer, I bent over backwards to assist the athletes without berating them.

Not only was this guy a jerk, he either didn't care he was or lacked the intelligence to figure it out.
2013-11-19 11:13 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, what a day! Still sore and tired but it feels damn good to be an Ironman! The entire experience was worth every boring and painful training ride in the brutal summer heat. Can't say enough about how excellent the entire week was. Race report coming soon...

Also, it was great to meet MikeyLee yesterday in the merchandise tent. Congrats to you and your wife for being Ironmen and most importantly, for racing in your sons honor. He's going to love his medal!
2013-11-19 11:29 AM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Great day... perfect weather.. fast race... still sore as hell. Glad everyone had a good day out there and safe. I saw a few accidents out on the bike, i am sure it was just too many people in a small area. Lots of people on the second loop of the bike was impossible to find a clear place to ride. Other than that the race was great and ill celebrate my 2+ hour PR.
2013-11-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

I thought it was funny when we all were jumping in the water there were a bunch of people on the dock that were just standing there staring at the water like.... um i am not getting in there! The guys with the bullhorns were doing the same thing.... "you need to get in the water.... get off my dock... jump in the water it isnt going to hurt you ladies... " guess people could have taken that a bit harsh... but with 3000 people needing to get down the very narrow stairs and in to the water i think they should have been pushing people in to the water

2013-11-19 12:13 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by Tryrn

I thought it was funny when we all were jumping in the water there were a bunch of people on the dock that were just standing there staring at the water like.... um i am not getting in there! The guys with the bullhorns were doing the same thing.... "you need to get in the water.... get off my dock... jump in the water it isnt going to hurt you ladies... " guess people could have taken that a bit harsh... but with 3000 people needing to get down the very narrow stairs and in to the water i think they should have been pushing people in to the water

I was front left at the start of the swim and about 30 seconds before the cannon went off, a guy next to me made a comment about all the people still getting in the water. I looked back and there were hundreds of folks still jumping in. Good grief, that makes for a long and congested swim.

I also saw a bad bike wreck on Alma School. Looked like the guy was done for the day
2013-11-19 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Does anyone know where or if we can locate the videos Ironman showed throughout the week? I'm primarily looking for the IMAZ race day compilation video they showed at the awards ceremony yesterday.

Edited by devilfan02 2013-11-19 1:10 PM
2013-11-19 1:12 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

It looked like the dude did not clear the turn and crashed. Saw him being loaded onto the stretcher. Hope he is ok!

2013-11-19 2:19 PM
in reply to: alex_korr

User image

yeah i saw a 3 crashes happen none looked too bad but a friend of mine wondered how a guy survived one crash.... guess he was pushing hard head down only to look up and see a cone right in front of him = him swerving hard and going airborne. The worst possible wreck i saw was on the 2nd loop back down the beeline and someone going north swerved right in to oncoming bikes flying back down beeline. Was soooo close to a 30+mph head on collision with quite a few people.
2013-11-19 2:56 PM

Congrats to all the Finishers! I worked Medical most of the day, we were busier than usual. I think the heat was an issue for a lot of folks. Truly inspiring athletes!! The "TinMen", heart transplant recipients, 2 of the 4 finished the race. A Stage 4 cancer patient undergoing radiation finished. Challenged athletes finished the course. An 80yo competitor finished the race. So many personal stories of triumph. There is nothing to compare to an IM race....truly inspiring. I thought I was done after my 2012 finish......not so sure right now.

2013-11-20 8:04 PM
in reply to: Dino019

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Well I had a better time than last year by about 15 mins, but maybe not a better race.?..?.?

I dunno, I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow, I may have a sports hernia or something and I had something go wrong with my knee, had to walk the last 12 miles or so.

14:15:28

2013-11-20 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Well I had a better time than last year by about 15 mins, but maybe not a better race.?..?.?

I dunno, I'm going to the Dr. tomorrow, I may have a sports hernia or something and I had something go wrong with my knee, had to walk the last 12 miles or so.

2013-11-20 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE

2013-11-21 12:43 AM
in reply to: cstoulil

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

How can it be over so fast? All that training and now back home... Set a PR, but I had a lot of time to work with. Had a blast at IMAZ, I finished my 3rd IM and wife finished her 1st, it was an awesome day! We lost each other 10 minutes before the swim start but found each other with enough time to jump in together. Loved the course, got to see each other on the bike as we passed and the timing was perfect on the run and passed each other 3 times, it was really great. The best moment was when I was at mile 11 and she was at mile 5 and we shared a big hug and did the math and calcualted she was almost an hour ahead of what we thought she would be. Great weather, great volunteers, great race. I miss it so much I signed up for IMTX tonight! Now I just need it to be 75 degrees in May at the Woodlands...
2013-11-21 8:43 AM
in reply to: jls42

Originally posted by jls42

How can it be over so fast? All that training and now back home... Set a PR, but I had a lot of time to work with. Had a blast at IMAZ, I finished my 3rd IM and wife finished her 1st, it was an awesome day! We lost each other 10 minutes before the swim start but found each other with enough time to jump in together. Loved the course, got to see each other on the bike as we passed and the timing was perfect on the run and passed each other 3 times, it was really great. The best moment was when I was at mile 11 and she was at mile 5 and we shared a big hug and did the math and calcualted she was almost an hour ahead of what we thought she would be. Great weather, great volunteers, great race. I miss it so much I signed up for IMTX tonight! Now I just need it to be 75 degrees in May at the Woodlands...

Jason? Texas? Really? Don't talk me into it.

2013-11-21 8:45 AM

2013-11-21 8:47 AM

2013-11-21 8:50 AM

Jason? Texas? Really? Don't try to talk me into it?
2013-11-21 8:55 AM

2013-11-21 9:51 AM
in reply to: SeeVee

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Originally posted by SeeVee

Since I see you replied 5 times, it looks like you gotta sign up now. Come on, just do it! You have a gret base to keep right on going, light December workouts and start again in January. I lost 45 pounds for IMAZ and got another 20+ to go for IMTX; it will be hot and it will suck, but it will be so much fun!!

2013-11-21 10:10 AM

User image

anyone have the flyer from the company that does the frame sets? there was a code on it for a discount... seem to have thrown mine away.
2013-11-21 12:23 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
Congratulations to all IMAZ'ers!!!! It is still hard to think it is over and I'm now an IRONMAN I know it is only three days post IM, but I'm struggling with not having a purpose. When to the gym today and felt lost?!?!?!?! I will not do an IM for the unforeseeable future as my wife will divorce me It was known going into this as she can't handle being a single parent for months on end.

Anyways, did anyone else get any flats. I flatted 4 FING times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two right out of transition (one my fault) pinch flat. After I used my last tube and CO2, I was lucky to got a tube from a support person right out of transition who was about to take off after the pro's. I then had another flat on the front at about mile 5. Got a CO2 from a fellow racer passing by and then a tube from another support person driving by. At about mile 60 I got another flat on my front. when I pulled over I thought I only had the CO2 from the triathlete and needed a tube. When I unzipped my seat bike bag I was floored to see a tube in there along with the CO2! The last support guy had slipped one in there without me even knowing it. Replaced it and finished with no other problems. I think 4 was certainly enough for one race... In all it killed my bike leg by more than 40 minutes. My run started out as good as I had hoped, then about mile 6-7 started to get blisters on my right foot. it got really bad and I was relegated to walking the final 10 – 26.2 miles. It was ok as I knew I had enough time to finish which was my ultimate goal.

Overall it made the experiance that more memorable. It provided some great stories! Great Race, Great Participants and Great Volunteers! I would love to do this race again some day.
2013-11-21 1:37 PM

Parker, Colorado
Is there a IMAZ 2014 official thread yet? Can't seem to find one....
2013-11-21 1:49 PM
in reply to: cullyatt

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by cullyatt Is there a IMAZ 2014 official thread yet? Can't seem to find one....

I think the administrator likes to wait a couple weeks after the current year's race before they allow creation of next year's.....

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 30