General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super Sprint in 2 months, first timer ?s Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-28 8:34 AM

Subject: Super Sprint in 2 months, first timer ?s

Brand new noobie here.  I am entering a Super Sprint race in the end of January.  This will be my first Tri event ever.  I am already a good runner.  2 marathons this year, happy with my speed etc.  Pretty good on the bike as well as far as speed and endurance goes.  I started taking swim lessons last week and am practicing 2-3 days a week.  Im going to join a local training group but they dont start till January 1st.  What should  I work on till then?  I dont have a goal in mind for the race other than to finish and not be last which shouldnt be a problem.  I know its a generic question but what should I focus on in my training till then?

Thanks for all of your help

2012-11-28 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4513007

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Super Sprint in 2 months, first timer ?s
After you have the base miles on your bike built up (and you already do have that on the run...), start adding bricks to your training. It's very important to be able to run after a hard bike and the only way to get somewhat comfortable doing that is to practice. Since you're a marathon runner, I would assume that you have a great base already, so start adding speed training (intervals) to your run. You will more than likely have to get used to run hard and fast.

And don't forget the 4th sport, transition. I've seen some great athletes lose enough time that they remove themselves from any podium contention that they would be in with a decent transition time. Set up a spot in your basement, garage, really anywhere you have a bit of space available and practice getting out of you wetsuit (and don't do it dry... put it on, jump in the shower for a few seconds and make sure you get water in the suit and then get to transition), and make sure you work on the transition from bike to run. Get fully suited up in all you bike gear you plan to use, then do a quick transition to the run. The more often you do this, the more of a routine it will be and everything will happen automatically.
2012-11-28 9:21 AM

Subject: RE: Super Sprint in 2 months, first timer ?s
Good advice thank you.  The one I'm doing is in an indoor pool since it will be freezing cold here and the swim is last.  My thoughts were to wear cold weather gear over my tri-suit and that will make things easier I guess so I can just strip off my gear and get in the pool with my tri-suit.
2012-11-29 9:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super Sprint in 2 months, first timer ?s Rss Feed