General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
La Quinta, California
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 9s
Overall Rank = 140/
Age Group = 44-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition and relaxed.
Event warmup:

Stretched and got acclimated to the water, really cold, swam a little to stretch then waited for the start.
Swim
  • 47m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

Terrible swim, my own fault for lack of OWS training in the past month. Course was a bit odd, swim was two laps so you had to exit the water after lap one and cross the timing strip to get counted.

Water temp was cold so it took a while to get acclimated. Very crowded start made it slow going and lots of kicking and clawing to get through the crowd.
What would you do differently?:

Swim was 7 minutes off my average need to be more consistent in my OWS training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Long run up from the beach to transition but it was nice running through the grass, easier on the feet. Had the bike in proper gear for the hill out of transition, good ride out.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall a good ride, took in plenty of fluids and nutrition since the weather was really hot.

Nothing, overall a good ride
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Good transition, smooth off the bike and into running gear.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 37m 7s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot race and I cramped immediately coming off the bike so it was a struggle. My typical Half marathon pace is about 1:45 so this was almost a full hour too long and really frustrating. I felt like my nutrition and fluids on the bike were good so I am not sure why the cramps. Heading in for a bike fitting to see if that may help.

Not sure yet but this is the second event where I cramped badly so I need to figure it out.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the 58 degree lake for about 30 minutes, then stretched while eating and had a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping

Event comments:

Except for the screw up with the run course length they were well organized and really had this planning down. The transition was the best I have seen up to this point.

Last updated: 2012-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:25 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 194/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full suit
Course: First time I have had to do a two lap swim that required leaving the water after lap one to run across a timing strip. Made a crowded swim even slower.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:49 | 56 miles | 18.90 mile/hr
Overall: 117/
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Two laps of an out and back course made it a little boring but alright. Headwinds for a couple miles on the way back to turnaround and then to the transition were a little tough. A few hills but not too many. Good overall ride, started cramping in the last 10 miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:37:07 | 14.2 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Course was laid out wrong and was actually 14.2 miles, mentally challenging when the Garmin is saying you should be done and you are still a mile from the finish. The good news was the the Half athletes were able to tell Race Officials and they corrected it for the Full.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-02 6:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Beach, CA
Subject: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Half Iron Course

2012-12-02 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4518581

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Half Iron Course
Way to work through the cramps to finish strong!!  Bet that 58F lake felt great post run.  Congrats.
2012-12-03 10:27 AM

User image

Los Angeles
Congrats on your finish.  I did the race last year and it was 54 degrees.  This year's race was warm compared to last year.  It was not cold at all to me.  Regardless, way to move on and finish.   
2012-12-03 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Great race, I don't think you can compare your HM running time with your HIM run! Sounds like you pushed through the cramps and got it done!
2012-12-04 5:45 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Wow, that's some cold water and warm air.  Add the cramping and I'd day you had a tough day.  Way to tough it out and get it done.  Congrats!
2012-12-04 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice race!

2012-12-05 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran

I read that you had cramping problems and had to speak up.

I have been a cronic cramper over the past 5 or so years. Up till October of this year, 6 marathons and 2 HIM's and I cramped in EVERY ONE of them. Each time, I would adjust nutrition, adjust training and give it another go.

In prepping for Austin 70.3 this past october, a training friend suggested I try pickle juice. (product name is pickle juice sport. comes in little 8oz bottles. and it tastes like you would imagine it is going to. nasty.) Bottom line, I drank one ethe night before, 1 pre race, 1 in t1 and 1 in t2 and for the first time in any event longer than an oly, I didnt cramp. I coulnt believe it. I was waiting for them the entire run. Of course I ended up with a big PR because I didnt have to hobble/stretch/walk the last 5 mi.

I am in no way affilitaed with the product. And it might be total coincidence. I will be giving it another try feb 24 at the cowtown marathon. If I dont cramp there I will start to think that I am on to something.

But I know how demoralizing it can be to have your muscles revolt on you. And how painful those lock up cramps are. and how tough it is to hear people suggest that maybe you didn't put the miles in.

Good luck with your 2013 season. I hope that you find a cramp solution.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS National Championship: Palm Springs - Half Iron Course Rss Feed