General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a good base, and not over doing it in year1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-03 10:33 AM

User image

New user

Zurich, Switzerland
Subject: Building a good base, and not over doing it in year1

Looking for advice from those of you who have been at this for a while.  I will start with my Question and then give you Background on my specific situation.

Question - How hard can I push my training over the next 6 months before the European Tri season kicks off in June?  Should I stick to the plan as laid out or modify to accommodate my fitness level?

Background - I will turn 50 this summer, have been swimming masters for almost a decade (3x week 3-4K/workout), and have kept in very good shape over the years.  I ran my first Xterra Tri this Fall (Sprint) didn't do much training for it and did pretty well.  I would now like to get ready and race the European circuit this summer at the Olympic distance.  I was going to use the "20 week Olympic - 3x Balanced" work out schedule.  I am currently at a fitness level that allows me to swim like month 5, bike like month 3, and run like month 1 (due to shin splint injury).  

I hate to give up my current level of fitness by throttling back, but I don't want to create any injuries that will plague me into the future.  I would like to build a solid base of endurance and strength over the first year and then focus on increasing speed once my body has fully adjusted to the new lifestyle.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

2012-12-03 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4519295

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Building a good base, and not over doing it in year1
If you do not have a history of running don't push it. Your aerobic engine will enable you to overtax your running bones and muscles and will result in injury. Building a solid base of endurance and strength for running will continue for years.

Swim as much as you like. You can also spend generous time on the bike without much risk.
2012-12-03 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4519337

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Building a good base, and not over doing it in year1

BigDH - 2012-12-03 10:53 AM If you do not have a history of running don't push it. Your aerobic engine will enable you to overtax your running bones and muscles and will result in injury. Building a solid base of endurance and strength for running will continue for years. Swim as much as you like. You can also spend generous time on the bike without much risk.

x2 on all of this, I would also just listen to your body, it will tell you when you are pushing it too much.

2012-12-03 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4519295

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a good base, and not over doing it in year1 Rss Feed