General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First metarsal tendonitis/tenosynovitis recovery time?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-03 1:33 PM

User image

Subject: First metarsal tendonitis/tenosynovitis recovery time??

i.e., too tight laces syndrome. I have very high arches so the tops of my feet press into the shoes. Been dealing with this for about 2 months, believe it started after a run where the shoes were way too tight and kind of lingered, and was ramping up the BarryP plan so didn't let it heal properly. Saw my running doc/ART guy, pretty convinced it's not a SFX. Stayed off it for a bit, relaced the shoes so there was no pressure, and it got better. Also using a trigger point roller for the bottom of the foot.

Raced HITS oly yesterday, trying a new set of bungee laces (the ones with all the knots so they stay in place). That might have been
a mistake.....

Shoes didn't feel too tight, but on the run the tendon area started to get sore, was worse after the race, and by the end of the day though and this morning it's incredibly sore. I notice when I flex my big toe up on that side, and place my fingers over the tendon area, I can feel a friction as the tendon goes back and forth. Other side is smooth.

Anyone else had this, and have any tips for helping recovery along? My PT is fairly popular it seems and cannot get in to see him until next week (I think it's more of a PT
thing than an ART thing)

TIA

Edited by ChrisM 2012-12-03 1:34 PM

2012-12-13 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4519703

Subject: RE: First metarsal tendonitis/tenosynovitis recovery time??
What does the pain feel like? I am having an issue right now with my big toe but I think it's more around the joint. What did your PT say?
2012-12-13 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4533308

User image

Subject: RE: First metarsal tendonitis/tenosynovitis recovery time??

Pain at the top of my foot when I would lift my big toe.  Could feel the friction of the tendon sliding through the sheat when toe was flexed

Took about 7 days for the friction (tenosynovitis) to go away, another few for the general pain (tendonitis).   If pain came back, might suspect a dtress fracture, but haven't started running again yet.

PT and ART guy said likely tendonitis, too tight shoes, etc.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First metarsal tendonitis/tenosynovitis recovery time?? Rss Feed