General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance sports bad for heart? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-03 8:38 PM

Subject: Endurance sports bad for heart?

http://now.msn.com/running-marathons-can-damage-the-muscles-of-the-heart-study-says

I just read this little article based on a british study that says that marathons/endurance sports in general can damage the heart.  I am curious, does anyone know of any good studies that compare long term outcomes of say marathon runners with normal population with certain disease states (like heart disease)?

It does seem that there are quite a few deaths.  I'm not sure if it is media sensationalism skewing the actual numbers, but I ran the philly marathon in 2011 and 2 people died. I do think its possible that endurance sports can damage the body at some level in some cases, but I cant see it outweighing all of the positive contributions to health.

2012-12-03 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4520321

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Endurance sports bad for heart?

first, many of us knew one of the guys who died in the PA marathon, and his autopsy showed NOTHING wrong. So you cannot call that endurance sports damaging his heart.

the studies that come out have usually been about RUNNING fast (ie over 8.5mph) for more that 20 miles per week.  So we are already down to a skewed population.

take it with a grain of salt.

2012-12-03 9:34 PM

Veteran
Other studies were based on professional cyclists in the 80s and 90s. We all know that there was no drug use durring this time that might effect the results.
2012-12-03 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
2012-12-04 3:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
ImSore - 2012-12-04 3:38 AM

http://now.msn.com/running-marathons-can-damage-the-muscles-of-the-heart-study-says

It does seem that there are quite a few deaths.  I'm not sure if it is media sensationalism skewing the actual numbers, but I ran the philly marathon in 2011 and 2 people died. I do think its possible that endurance sports can damage the body at some level in some cases, but I cant see it outweighing all of the positive contributions to health.

First, I if I'm not mistaken, this is an old story picked up by yet another news outlet, not yet another confirmation of a previous study.

Second, it may be true that the risk of death is increased for the duration of the race, but those who exercise regularly have an overall reduced risk of premature death, compared to the average couch potato. If having a goal such as a race is what keeps you committed to regular exercise then it pays off despite the risk during a race. Regardless of how you die, you will become part of the statistics.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're having fun, do what you like to do. A pop concert could be dangerous too, just sayin'.

2012-12-04 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Thing to remember, is these studies typically are talking about extreme endurance sports.  Running 15-20 miles a week is different from marathon runners running 60-80 miles a week.  Even when you through in 100+ mile bike weeks and 4 miles swimming a week, you are adding non-impact less stressful milage.  As a recreational athlete, the work that we do is very good for us and should not be discounted.  Compared to the obese general population, what you are doing is very good for you.

2012-12-04 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4520644

Regular
Life is a terminal disease. Why not enjoy it?
2012-12-04 9:38 AM

I decided to not be so lazy and do a bit of research myself.  Some of the studies that caught my interest are below.  I do have some concern, since I have a tendency to the extreme, and I do see myself wanting to do some of the more challenging events, 100 mile ultras for example.  On the other hand, there are plenty of other things I could be doing that could be far more detrimental to my health.    And besides, you have to have some fun right?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22236223  -Cardiac arrest during long-distance running races.

Atherosclerotic cardiac disease (clogged arteries) and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) seem to be the main issues. Two of the highest profile running deaths fall into these categories, Jim Fixx (atherosclerotic cardiac disease) and Micah True (hypertrophic cardiomyopathy).  Fixx, if I can recall, didn't start running until late (40s maybe??), and was a smoker too.  And Micah True was very extreme, I'm not sure what he logged, but well over 100 mile/week for years is what I've heard.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22677079 -Potential adverse cardiovascular effects from excessive endurance exercise.

"Emerging data suggest that chronic training for and competing in extreme endurance events such as marathons, ultramarathons, ironman distance triathlons, and very long distance bicycle races .... Over months to years of repetitive injury, this process, in some individuals, may lead to patchy myocardial fibrosis, particularly in the atria, interventricular septum, and right ventricle, creating a substrate for atrial and ventricular arrhythmias."

This was concerning, but there is no hard evidence presented.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22160404 -Exercise-induced right ventricular dysfunction and structural remodelling in endurance athletes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15342317/ -Clinical significance of increased cardiac troponins T and I in participants of ultra-endurance events.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22562789 -Mortality among marathon runners in the United States, 2000-2009.

“Of 3,718,336 total marathon participants over the 10-year study period, we identified 28 people (6 women and 22 men) who died during the marathon race and up to 24 hours after finishing.”  These odds don't seem too bad, especially since on marathon day, one could easily be sitting drinking beer, eating chips and watching football (why do I do this again???).  I'm not too happy with the increased risk for men though.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8800121 -Risk for sudden cardiac death associated with marathon running.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3409063/ -The Transeurope Footrace Project: longitudinal data acquisition in a cluster randomized mobile MRI observational cohort study on 44 endurance runners at a 64-stage 4,486km transcontinental ultramarathon

This was an interesting article, not really focused on the heart, but interesting nonetheless.

2012-12-04 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4520924

User image

Expert
McAllen

You can also get cancer from not only the sun, but starlight as well so you probably shouldn't go outside. Ever.

Don't worry about it Smile. I would say if there's any risk that needs to be taken into account is the duration of time an athlete trains out by the road where a car will hit him/her.

2012-12-04 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4522004

User image

Sensei
Sin City

When I see things like that, they get an *eye roll* and a "whatever".

Someone runs with some story for attention.  It's a known fact that cardio vascualar activity/excersize is good for you and probably borderline required for good health.

If someone starts to tell me otherwise or I see a title of an article, I don't even waste my time.  Mostly because they are either WRONG or taking an extreme case or specific situation/example that doesn't apply or concern me directly.

2012-12-04 6:22 PM

User image

New user
Breckenridge

YouTube clip, Run for Your Life! At a comfortable pace, and not too far: James O'Keefe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6U728AZnV0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2012-12-04 7:32 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
At ACSM last year (American College of Sports Medicine) there were some good studies presented looking at cardiovascular changes in marathoners...not elite marathoners just average Joe marathoners.  I do not remember the exact stats etc but the gist was that there is some damage but it resolves within 24 hours.  If you look for the data you will find it
2012-12-05 10:28 AM

User image

My goal is not to live longer.  It's to maintain my ability to function and be active as close to the end as I can.
2012-12-05 11:00 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

The problem with that oft cited study is that they are looking to see the benefit (or lack thereof) of only running on your lifespan. As is explained in the Runner's World article above, they try to isolate the effect of running from a lot of other variables: "What this means is that they used statistical methods to effectively "equalize" everyone's weight, blood pressure, cholesterol, and so on."

So, (for a completely made up example) if a guy lived to 90 with a healthy weight, blood pressure and cholesterol, these factors would drop his adjusted age of death. The idea is that having low blood pressure probably had a lot to do with his longevity and so that may have given him 10 more years. Same with cholesterol...5 years. And the same with his weight...8 years. Therefore, when it comes time to match his adjusted age of death, 68, it is revealed that he ran 40 miles per week. Therefore, they conclude that he lived shorted than the the average man of about 72 years.

It is instantly obvious that this is a ridiculous way of manipulating data. Certainly, leading an active lifestyle is a huge contributor to those variables and they should therefore not be controlled out of the equation.

We are left with crappy science that is quickly picked up the media who knows that the majority of their readership will relish a little schadenfreude and spread it around. 

2012-12-05 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
ya never know what's gonna bite ya...just do it.
2012-12-05 3:17 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Dude; bad news. We're all dead anyway.

Trying to prolong your life is largely futile, usually dillusional.

Best to get it on when you can since you have nearly zero control over when your number is up.

Once you're in a hospital bed and get the "bad news" it's too late.

Make hay while the sun shines.

2012-12-05 4:11 PM

User image

I would'nt have found out I had a mitral valve defect (repaired last year) unless I WAS involved in endurance sports; training for a half-ironman at the time.  Knowing my heart, I got to a cardiologist several years after the HIM because I noticed some issues - that I would have been oblivious to otherwise, unless it was too late.  I am proud of my "cardiac rehab" t-shirt, and have done a sprint and some HMs since.  Ran 10.5 miles Saturday.  Hope to do an OLY or two and other stuff next year.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Endurance sports bad for heart? Rss Feed