Sartenejas,
Venezuela
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 56s
Overall Rank = 9/43
Age Group = 30-34 Female
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich, like usual on race day, and some gatorade.
Event warmup:

I rode around at the parking lot for 10 minutes and did some stretching.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 56s
  • 12 kms
  • 10.30 km/hr
Comments:

My race strategy was changed since the organizers decided to cut the race two laps short because of time constraints, and I hadn't find out until race morning.

I decided to go fast on both laps, trying to get a lead on the other girls on both the climbs and downhills. I wasn't familiar with the other 7 girls, so I didn't want to take any chances.

I received a lot of support throughout the course, which really helped. Friends told me how far ahead I was on the other girls. I was also very pleased and surprised to be right behind Julieta, my Special K team manager, who is a very fast racer. She beat me by only one minute, and I hardly ever lost her from my sight.

Right before the race started, FĂ©lix told me that the girl who placed second in my Half IM a couple of weeks ago (I was third) was also racing.

I was really happy to never see her in the race. I beat her on my turf, the dirt, by over 8 minutes. In that tri, she made an ironic comment as she passed me on the bike back then. But, now, it was sweet revenge. ;)

I liked the way I raced and felt confident on the downhills and always in control.

Another excellent thing was that my whole team placed 1st in each respective age group. Go Special K!
What would you do differently?:

I'm going to continue training on the dirt to get better and, hopefully, try to catch the other girls, even if they're not in my age group.
Post race
Warm down:

None; I was so happy that I forgot to stretch and warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm beginning to focus on the mountain bike now that my Half IM is over.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the course and had a lot of fun. This was the first MTB that actually felt like an international race. There were several UCI officials, so the organizers went out of their way to put on a perfect event and succeeded.

I'm glad to be part of the MTB family. The environment is so different from other types of races, much more relaxed and fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-25 12:00 AM
Biking
01:09:56 | 12 kms | 10.30 km/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 0/43
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Two laps beginning with a medium climb for about 2km and then a big climb for about 1.5km, followed by a short downhill and another harder and longer climb to finish with a very fast, non-technical downhill.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-25 7:42 PM

User image

New user

Brisbane, Queensland
Subject: Sartenejas MTB

2006-06-25 9:52 PM
in reply to: #465195

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Sartenejas MTB
You're becoming a regular on the podium these days Mayde!

Congratulations on a great race!!
2006-06-26 9:46 PM
in reply to: #465305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: RE: Sartenejas MTB
WOO HOO!!  You rock Mayde...great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sartenejas MTB Rss Feed