General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Charlotte any triathlon clubs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-03 9:58 PM

Subject: New to Charlotte any triathlon clubs?
Just checking in to see what triathlon clubs are in Charlotte; just moved here. Thanks

2012-12-04 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4520428

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: New to Charlotte any triathlon clubs?

What part of town are you in?

2012-12-04 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4520663

Just moved here don't know the names of areas yet; but I live near Quail hollow golf course if you know where that is?
2012-12-04 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4521459

User image

Master
Charlotte

The Phoenix - 2012-12-04 2:09 PM Just moved here don't know the names of areas yet; but I live near Quail hollow golf course if you know where that is?

Well in that case, no, not really and tri clubs in your area.  I am your neighbor though (I live in a neighborhood between Carmel CC and Quail Hollow CC)!!  There are/were some tri clubs further up toward Lake Norman/Huntersville.

Now for the good news: there are tons of triathletes in south Charlotte. There are triathlon programs at the Harris Y.  There are also masters swim there on Tue/Thur/Sat for a whooping $10/month.  The pool is generally full of triathletes as you will notice by their "Setup Events" swim caps (they are the big NC/SC triathlon production company).

There are track workout with a group that leaves from TrySports in Southpark near the mall (Wednesday I think).

Plenty of group rides in the area: www.weeklyrides.com.

There are hardcore rides from Inside Out Sports (the only "true" triathlon store in the area).

There is also a computrainer type class at TotalCyclist (large location at the Metropolitan near uptown and a satellite location at TrySports in Southpark.  Have heard it is great. 

I don't really do running groups with the exception of the Noda Brewing Run Club occasionally on Wednesdays. 100+ people, 1m, 3m, and 5m routes. Best brewery in town.  Fun friendly group.

For great running, check out McMullen Greenway. Closest entrance to you is along Hwy 51 across the street from Waffle House / Trio restaurant.  5.5m one way of paved trail. Great way to get in a shaded 11m run with LOTS of people around.  Go early in the morning and I guarantee you will see deer. 

I can go on and on.  Let me know specific questions if you have some. Plus I have a lot of long ride routes out of town if you need ideas on where to head.

2012-12-04 7:18 PM

For a place to run I would recommend McAlpine Park over McMullen, all dirt (McMullen is only out and back, paved/wood/dirt, and is usually too packed for my liking. Mcalpine will be a farther drive for you, but it pays off.
2012-12-05 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4522106

User image

Master
Charlotte

XCtoTri - 2012-12-04 8:18 PM For a place to run I would recommend McAlpine Park over McMullen, all dirt (McMullen is only out and back, paved/wood/dirt, and is usually too packed for my liking. Mcalpine will be a farther drive for you, but it pays off.

McAlpine will be soon closed for two years to pave it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/02/3639812/mcalpine-park-to-close-for-2-years.html

McMullen is certainly busy but I have never once in the past 5 years think it was too busy (and I usually hit the greenway in some form or fashion on my long runs in case I need a potty break).  Although I would say I am somewhat biased because I run to the McMullen from my house (I can run to McAlpine also but a lot longer run).

2012-12-05 7:38 AM

User image

New user
Aurora, Illinois

Running:

When training this year for a marathon I ran in the McMullen greenway as well, and then went all through Park Road, you will eventually reach Park Rd Park if potty break needed. 

Tuesday: Track workout from Trysports SouthPark at 5:30 PM

Wed: NoDA running club, very fun crowd and as mentioned before, great beer!

Swimming

I usually do my swimming on the Down YMCA Masters class, and beginning March-April the Lake Norman YMCA has open water swims on Saturdays, a lot of people ride their bike in there right after the swim.

Bike:

This I would also need some suggestions for routes as this is where I need to get more focus for this season, as I mostly do trainer sessions, and those get very boring.

Welcome to Charlotte!

2012-12-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4522509

User image

NC
dozzman - 2012-12-05 8:38 AM

Bike:

This I would also need some suggestions for routes as this is where I need to get more focus for this season, as I mostly do trainer sessions, and those get very boring.

Ride with the many groups in Charlotte.  As Brian mentioned, check out weeklyrides.com. 

I ride the Saturday morning Winter Bike League out of Uptown Cycles.  30 and 50 mile options. The routes are marked with a yellow circle and arrow on top, so you could ride these on your own if you wanted.  The 50 miler is not no drop, so the marked route helps if you get dropped.  I also ride the 36th Street Racing Sunday ride out of NoDa.  It's about 53 miles at 19-20 average.  Really good group. 

I haven't done it, but Bicycle Sport has a ride that sounds pretty beginner friendly Saturday morning.  Also, for a beginner sounding ride, look at the Goldilocks ride out of Park Road Shopping Center Saturday morning.  I rode with that ride leader a couple years ago and he's a good guy.

Where are you located?  Maybe someone could point you in the direction of a good ride if you aren't in town.

2012-12-05 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4522458

bgraboski - 2012-12-05 7:42 AM

XCtoTri - 2012-12-04 8:18 PM For a place to run I would recommend McAlpine Park over McMullen, all dirt (McMullen is only out and back, paved/wood/dirt, and is usually too packed for my liking. Mcalpine will be a farther drive for you, but it pays off.

McAlpine will be soon closed for two years to pave it.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/11/02/3639812/mcalpine-park-to-close-for-2-years.html

McMullen is certainly busy but I have never once in the past 5 years think it was too busy (and I usually hit the greenway in some form or fashion on my long runs in case I need a potty break).  Although I would say I am somewhat biased because I run to the McMullen from my house (I can run to McAlpine also but a lot longer run).

Only closed for people without determination to run there and/or break the law. I will be running there for the next 2 years no doubt

2016-01-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: XCtoTri

If anyone is interested in forming a south charlotte club...hit me up.

[email protected]
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Charlotte any triathlon clubs? Rss Feed