General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bony spur on nail bed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-05 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: bony spur on nail bed

I had had what I thought was a nail fungal infection for a long while.  I had used Vicks Vaporub and Genetian Violet and tea tree oil, all without results.  So I took a 90 day course of Lamisil and it didn't help.  I finished the Lamisil up in July of 2012 and it looked just as bad.  I went back to the doctor yesterday, and turns out back in 2010 when I was training for a marathon ended up with runners nail.  It turned black and after a few months fell off.  It grew back, but over time it discolored again and I ended up with a fungus.  But, what had happened is with the trauma of the runner's nail, a spur formed.  That spur had been getting thicker and thicker.  It pushed the seal of my nail off so the nail was only attached in the center, and the fungal colony was able to live under the spur.  So yesterday, I went back to the podiatrist thinking I'd be getting more medicine and instead had my nail surgically removed and the spur scraped off the nail bed.  Ouch!  I have 30 more days of Lamisil to take.  Not sure when I'll be able to SBR.  Maybe in a few days.  It's pretty sore.  It's actually made my calf sore and stiff, probably from hobbling.  I definitely need to let it heal up though.  Anyone had something similar or anyone out there with a longsuffering fungal infection that might be more than a fungal infection?

jami    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bony spur on nail bed Rss Feed