MetroPCS Dallas Marathon
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Espo Saturday to pick up packet. Parking at the Convention Center is a PIA but we know of a lot that holds about 10 cars and not sure why but every year we go, a car is always pulling out. Same was true this year so no $ and very close. Expo was good. Registered for Cowtown Half and 5K with a discount. Pickup was easy. No lines so in and out pretty quick.

Race morning, up at 5 and out the door at 5:30. Bananna and granola bar in the car. Got off the highway when traffic started backing up and got to the Convention Center parking lot. Great spot and lots of time. Sat in the convention center until it was time to head to the corrall.
Event warmup:

Walking to the C Corral. Hanging out with Steve, Brandt and Shannon. It was already quite warm and very humid. I knew how undertrained I was so did not feel that any warmup was necessary.
Run
  • 2h 38m 45s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 11m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

It was about as good as I could have expected based on the non-training I have done lately. This is the 3rd course that this race has used in the 6 times I have done it. I have to say it is my least favorite of the 3.

While the crowd support was fantastic, there was not scenic in the least. Ran through a lot of different sections of Dallas. I have to say that running over the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge was pretty cool. The course was not hard. Some hills but nothing terrible. Aid stations were well placed but they were a bit overwhelmed with all the people.

When you start a race with 20,000, you have to expect that it will be crowded and it was. Did not feel like I had any space for about the first 3 miles. I also had it .20 long.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I need to get better at this distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the line. Knew Brandt was not that far behind so waited for him to cross. Since they were not making us move on from the finish line, waited for Steve. Walked the 3 miles to get our finishers shirts and a little food. Walked 4 miles to find the garage and then breakfast at Cafe Brazil. Felt like a zombie for the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training or lack of it

Event comments:

This is a great event. I have to imagine trying to put on a race for 20,000 is a lot like hearding cats but they always do it well. Nice LS shirts, finishers shirts and medals. I have done this race for the past 6 years (except last year when it was 30 degrees and raining). I will keep doing it. Maybe they will have the same course next year!

Last updated: 2012-08-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:38:45 | 13.3 miles | 11m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Through many areas of Dallas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]