ALBERTA TRIATHLON ASSOCIATION
33C / 91F
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 18m 2s
Overall Rank = 70/90
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 9/11
Pre-race routine:

Firday morning, swam a lap of the course, went to Jack Astors for lunch and then drove the bike course. The course was very intimidating, questioned what the heck I was getting into. Looked like Riding Mountain National Park on steroids!

Friday night supper of pasta and meat sauce (1830) at pre race banquet(met Starcorp), nothing elsa to eat the night before. I knew I wouldnt be able to sleep, so twisted Crazycanuck's arm and went to see late show "Nacho Libre". Totally awful, crappy movie. Back to the hotel and got to sleep about 230.

Up at 500. Ate a bagel, cup of coffee and two bottles lemon water. System cleaned out and ready to role. Arrived at lake at 630, met the rest of the Ironcops and Trifactor group from Winnipeg, also some members of Ironcops from Calgary and BC.

Placed my bike gear and run gear in back of bike so I would be ready.

My goal was 8 hrs as I felt I'd struggle on the bike and the swim, but I could go 2.5 hrs on the run and be ok..1hr swim, 4.5 hr bike and 2.5 hr run, for 8 hrs and cutoff was 9. Anything less was gravy.
Event warmup:

Put wetsuit on about 15 min before start time(800). Walked down to lake and kept saying to myself,"Dont fight the suit, dont fight the suit." There were alot of first timers, like myself and Crazy and we all had that scared&))(*)less look on our faces. Took my old timex off, and my special wrist bands off as well.

Put tri shorts on under wetsuit.
Swim
  • 44m 29s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

I dreaded the first 500m leg because in the open water swims I'd done before, I couldnt get the stroke and the breathing for about 5-10 minutes and when I did a lap on Friday, the first time with the wetsuit, it was awful.
But I got it right away!!! I told myself I could swim, the heart rate dropped as soon as I hit the water and found everything immediately. Crazy gave me a tip on navigation earlier in the week and my efficiency was terrific. I got bumped around a little bit but nothing too bad.
I found myself singing a tune, relaxing and warming up for the bike. The swim set up the confidence for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

For this part, I wouldnt do anything differently. Felt strong and confident from the beginning.

Transition 1
  • 06m 30s
Comments:

As I didnt put watch on right away, my time might be a little off. I put all my stuff on the sidewalk, and was attacked by ants as I sat to put shoes on. Kinda freaked me out to have 10 or 20 ants crawling up my leg!!
Forgot to down my protien shake. Very nervous and tried to do too much at once. The transition needs practice while in training.

Seal each event gear in a ziplock bag. May consider having bike top under wetsuit, and placing shoes in peddles. Will try it in training this summer.
Bike
  • 3h 41m 26s
  • 96.7 kms
  • 26.20 km/hr
Comments:

The bike course was intimidating to say the least.

Slow start to the bike, although I didnt think initially my legs were shaky. Once I got out of the city and onto the highway, felt much better, and drank some gatorade. Very strong wind, but thought it would be an easy ride back. Within the first 10 k, I was passed by about 8-12 people and it was a little disappointing.
After the first aid station I grabbed a fresh water bottle as we entered the Park. I was about 30 km in before I realized I hadnt geared down from the top derailer even during some pretty big climbs. I'd never been able to come close to that in Riding Mountain. My confidence was restored. Only 1 leak break was on the way out and I'm glad I mastered the fine art of doing it without dismounting!
Made the turn feeling strong and confiden, I had the wind! Wrong, oh so wrong. It had changed gradually and faced an even stronger headwind on longer hills on way in. But still felt great, nothing hurting, nothing stiffening up. Dran 3 bottles on way in to prepare for run. Again, kept my gear high.
Another quick tip a kind sole gave me, in that first stage, on the first climb, I was huffing loudly, didnt have my bike legs yet. He sadi something and I smiled and laughed and he said, "No, sit up and place your hands on top, you will breath easier".And all of a sudden, he made me into a climber!!
Came into T2 with confidence!

I would drink a little more, go from 5 bottles to perhaps 7, especially if the run is in the heat of the day. But I really felt that on this course, 330-340 was a good time for me. I had budgeted 4-4.5 hrs(cut off was 1300) and exeeded my own expectations.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

I had put my run stuff back on top of my tri bag, so no ants. Really felt the heat after getting off the bike.

Need to practice a few things and get a routine down. A little anxious, but relieved that I made it to the last stage. Practice practice practice....
Run
  • 2h 52m 9s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 13m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew after the first mile this would be a huge struggle. I was passed by several leaner people right off the bat. I got into the valley or desert as I will forever refer to it and hoped I could make two laps. Only drank a cup of water at the three stations and even though I knew it was not enough, I was nauseous and hurting and couldnt drink any more. Made it in 115, and if I did the second in 120, I'd break 7 hrs!

Second lap, managed to run untill the desert and at the 7.5-8 mile mark, I started to Bonk, or as I say, I saw the "purple haze" and stopped. May have faded out a bit but gathered my wits and started power walking. No way was this gonna beat me. The next aid station was 3 miles away and off I went. Passed by alot, but recieved encouragement from everyone, including my teamates as they went by. Got to the the last station ( I knew I'd see it again as this was near a turn around) and had 3 waters and a gatorade. Swong my arms with a vengeance and as I approched the turn around/check station, the girls told me I was walking angry and looking for a fight. I told them if I cant run, I was damn well gonna walk with an attitude.
To this point nothing was hurting, but I had to sit and get the gravl out of my shoes. Almost fatal as both calves cramped up and I swore like a drunken sailor. Again encoureged by the volunteers(didnt want them to see a grown man cry) I got up and carried on.
Actually managed to run a wee bit to the last station and grapped 3 more gatorades. Even the bike patrol ambulance crew liked my walking style. THis last area was really the only hill and then about a km to the finish. Ran a bit, walked a bit and ran the last couple minutes to finish strong, but left calf cramping badly, but no way was I giving in. Sucked it up and finished.

Carry 1 bottle on the run, and always fill it up. I got cocky friday night as my concers were the swim and the bike. Crazy asked me if I was taking my fuel belt and I said no, I should be able to make easch ststion and fuel up there. Dumb ass cocky mistake, but just something I'd differently, not an excuse for the walking.
Clothing was good, tri shorts through the whole thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Fell into the lake to cool down, tried to dive in and both calves cramped, screamed something nasty in the water. Got out and got the last massage, calves only. Drank water and gatorade.
Crazy and I loaded up the gear and went back to the hotel, ordered a large pizza, hit the hut tub for awhile. Ate the pizza, showered and went to the banquet. Had beef on a bun, beer and won a shirt and hammer gel bottle(expresso flavor). Debating whether to find out friends or head to the hotel. We went out for a drink and some wings and were back in by 930 or thereabouts.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am/was the author of my own demise. My biggest hurdle is the excess baggage I am carrying. The heat was brutal and just about everyone had to walk at some point. But I know the performance would have been much better at 185, than 205. Thats the focus for the next 6-8 weeks.

Event comments:

The course was truly the greatest physical challenge I'd ever had. So when I say it was too hard for my abilities, it is not a critique of the course, merely of myself and my abilities, at this point. My decision making in some spots was poor, due to lack of experience,but I'd rather be brutally honest and learn from this experience than kid myself and say I'm ready for IM2006.

Overall, I really did exceed my expectations, and learned so much. Gotta thank Crazycanuck for getting me into this. We had a great time!

Last updated: 2005-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:29 | 2000 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 39/90
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Predator
Course: Triangular course on Lake Mindapor in a gated park for the private use of the residents and their guests. First leg(2 laps) 500m, second 300 and third 200.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 15C / 59F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:41:26 | 96.7 kms | 26.20 km/hr
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 57/90
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Just over 48 km to Kananaskas from Calgary and return, on hwy 22.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
02:52:09 | 13.05 miles | 13m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 70/90
Performance: Bad
Course: Start on bike path in residential area, move down into the "desert", all on bike paths, 2 laps.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-26 10:04 AM

User image

Regular
Winnipeg
Subject: CHINOOK HALF IRONMAN

2006-06-26 11:39 AM
in reply to: #465696

User image

Regular
Kelowna
Subject: RE: CHINOOK HALF IRONMAN

Great race report for a great race!  Very impressive to see!

There is no crying in triathlons!

2006-06-26 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Wow Chris, I still can't believe you did a 1/2 IM for your first tri!!   Riding Mountain on steroids - definitely a real challenge!

Ants is NOT something I would have thought to plan for in transition!  I can only hope to "walk with attitude" at the point in the race - good for you!

Sounds like you ran a great race, learned a lot, and used the race for exactly what a was... a prelude to the Big Show in Aug - and you're going to to be so ready!!

2006-06-26 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Whoa, that is quite a feat for your first big race....A sub-8 finish is good considering how the heat tried to eat your lunch (and then some!).  Seems sure to me that your tenacity will take you far.  IM in 2007 -- sure, why not?!  Thanks for sharing your race report.

2006-06-26 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Just what I needed, an excuse to go back to visit Calgary. Great job on the race, sounds like you did alot of things really well. Congrats!
2006-06-26 7:06 PM

User image

Woooo! You did it.. and you done good! Considering the challenges with the heat and the ants, I'd say you came out ahead. Well done on the swim.

Ah, memories.. I remember those roads out to Kananaskis. Long.. and flat. Perfect for a race!!

Enjoy your rest and revel in your glory - you're a half ironman!

IMC, here you come!

2006-06-28 12:15 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CHINOOK HALF IRONMAN Rss Feed