General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coffee alternative? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-11 1:33 PM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: Coffee alternative?

I usually sleep 6-7 hours per day but never a good deep sleep. I was always a person that needed a lot of sleep which is not a luxury I have now with 3 beautiful princesses (9 month, 3, 5). I am not a morning person and still have a hard time getting up in the morning but once showered, I am good to go.

However my energy level lately is not great. The issue is when I am at work; I get very sleeping in the afternoon and can’t help my eye from closing.

I don’t drink coffee. I’ve tried but still don’t like the taste of it. I usually substitute coffee by a steep tea every morning and most days a coke in the afternoon to give me a boost. I usually snack (a lot) to keep myself from falling asleep at work. This is just getting annoying and I would like to know if there is any other alternative out there.

I don’t nap at lunch because I use that time to do some sort of training or just plain exercise. Here is my typical day:

6:00 – wake-up and shower
6:30 – commute to work
7:00-12:00 – work
12:00-13:00 – workout/exercise
13:00-15:00 – work
15:00 – commute home
15:30-20:30 – family time and house duty
20:30-22:00 – workout
22:00-23:00 – shower/read/relax before going to bed

I also find that I am exhausted after my lunch activities. I really don’t know if it is because of the lack of sleep or it is just my body telling me that I am pushing too hard. My week activities are:

Monday: easy run or speed work (lunch), sufferfest session (night)
Tuesday: circuit training (lunch), easy run (night)
Wednesday: volleyball (lunch), tempo run (night)
Thursday: circuit training (lunch), easy run (night)
Friday: ball hockey (lunch), easy run or a quick trainer session (night)
Saturday or Sunday : easy long run (night)

Squeeze in all that is once a week ice hockey which usually replace my night activity.

Kudos to all of the folks out there dedicating training time on only 5-6 or even less hours of sleep per night. I really don’t know how you do it!

So beside coffee, any other suggestion? (I am not a big fan of energy drinks too ‘alla’ Red Bull)

Thanks

Cheers.

Minh

2012-12-11 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4530972

User image

Regular
Madrid
Subject: RE: Coffee alternative?
Looks like you have a pretty full schedule. I'd have a really hard look at your nutrition especially the sugar and proteins.
2012-12-11 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
I found a new flavor of Crystal Light called "Energizing - Wild Strawberry" or something like that.  It's got caffeine but no sugar and the flavor is fairly light and delicious.  I can mix one individual packet with up to 30 ounces of water and still like the flavor.  The minimum is 16.9 ounces but I find that to be too sweet.  Trying this will also help with hydrating, which will also help you feel better. 
2012-12-11 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Have you tried Yerba Mate? There are a variety of delicious teas that have it as the caffeine source. Much better tasting than coffee and according to some reports much better for than coffee. (and especially energy drinks) What I enjoy most about it is that it's a "slow release" caffeine. This is beneficial for people who are looking for a boost, without the "jitteriness" that coffee can give some people.

It's usually sold anywhere that loose teas are sold...

2012-12-11 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

I don't think coffee is the answer, most likely you need to have more breaks in the training.  It looks as though Sunday is your only off day.

Caffeine is a drug that you want to use minimally if ever....

The other area to focus on is diet.  With as much working out as you do you may need more carbs.  Lots of things to think about as you head down that path but I'd still recommend looking at your food intake as a solution vs. caffeine...

I was formerly a caffeine junkie and now am caffeine free and feel great...It can be done.

Good luck.

2012-12-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4531050

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I only read the subject line, but whenever I get the notion up to change to something healthier for my caffeine,  I look no further than green tea.  It's good for you on so many levels (mostly anti-oxidents) and it has caffeine.

2012-12-11 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
MI
My caffeine source is usually tea.  Generally green tea, but if I am feeling like I am very tired, I will go for black tea.
2012-12-11 2:10 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I was also going to suggest Mate tea.  It has a lot of caffeine, but that is probably not the right answer in the long run.  It really just sounds like you need a break and you are trying to do too much.
2012-12-11 2:13 PM

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio

my $0.02

1. make sure you're drinking enough water. A lot of times people feel tired for lack of hydration.

2. as TriMike said, make sure you subsidize your full schedule of training and life with enough carbs to power you. Not enough fuel/energy = sleepy!

3. Try to get a good night sleep in there by not taining every night if you can. I am really tired when i train at night and i sleep really hard those nights. But i dont do it that frequently if i dont have to. I know your deal with work/family, and you have to do what you have to do, but you need sleep too.

4. I'm a coffee/caffeine person. try to limit to 2-3 servings a day also. I like green tea. Also try 5 hour energy. I take it before my workouts sometimes, i feel good. Some people don't like it, so be it. I have taken it before races also.

5. Don't drink pop. Coke/Diet Coke doesn't do for you what you think it does. And it actually pulls nutrients from your bones. I'm being hyporitical here because i drink it also, but really cut back and trying to stop. i feel cruddy when i drink it and i notice it.

Edited by Bnclev 2012-12-11 2:14 PM
2012-12-11 2:15 PM

User image

Maybe try to get 20-30 minutes more sleep on weeknights or try to get a nap in on the weekend.  Or cut back some of your training.

I was in your shoes for a while.  Eyes getting droopy around 2pm.  I don't drink coffee and tried green tea.  It helped a little.  But what really worked was just getting more sleep.  Your body is telling you to get more sleep so just do it instead of trying to find ways to avoid it.

2012-12-11 2:29 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
You don't need caffiene.  You need more sleep.  Bedtime needs to be earlier.

2012-12-11 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

The main thing that stuck out to me in your post was the first line "I usually sleep 6-7 hours per day but never a good deep sleep".  I don't know if you need MORE sleep; you go to bed at 10 or 11p and get up at 6a.  That should suffice.  You need BETTER sleep.  Even 8-10 hours won't keep you feeling energized if it's not good sleep.

Take a look at what is causing you to sleep poorly.  My first guess is you workout too close to bedtime.  Many people need more than an hour for their bodies to wind down especially after a hard workout.

As for the caffeine, if you're already having trouble sleeping soundly, caffeine could just add to the problem.  

Could you jockey your schedule around at all to make those two shorter workouts into one longer one, earlier in the day?  Or could you at least move the later day workout to an hour or two earlier than it is normally to give a bigger buffer to bedtime?

How about examining other reasons for the disturbed sleep?  Your 9 month old should be sleeping through the night....hopefully..?  Do you have a TV in the bedroom?  Major bad sleep culprit.  What do you eat for dinner and how close to bed?  Is it dark enough, quite enough?

My guess is if you manage to figure out how to get a better night's sleep your energy problems will be solved.

Edited by noelle1230 2012-12-11 2:48 PM
2012-12-11 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

7 hours of sleep is for amateurs.  You need more.

"My name is Mike.  I am a coffee addict."

2 cups to start my day & one at noon.  Less than some.  More than many.

2012-12-11 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4531215

Master
, California
pga_mike - 2012-12-11 1:21 PM

7 hours of sleep is for amateurs.  You need more.

"My name is Mike.  I am a coffee addict."

2 cups to start my day & one at noon.  Less than some.  More than many.

I can get by with less sleep if I nap.

Work out at 5am and take a nap from noon-1pm if you have a place where you can get away with it.

2012-12-11 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4531141

User image

Expert
noelle1230 - 2012-12-11 2:46 PM

The main thing that stuck out to me in your post was the first line "I usually sleep 6-7 hours per day but never a good deep sleep".  I don't know if you need MORE sleep; you go to bed at 10 or 11p and get up at 6a.  That should suffice.  You need BETTER sleep.  Even 8-10 hours won't keep you feeling energized if it's not good sleep.

Take a look at what is causing you to sleep poorly.  My first guess is you workout too close to bedtime.  Many people need more than an hour for their bodies to wind down especially after a hard workout.

As for the caffeine, if you're already having trouble sleeping soundly, caffeine could just add to the problem.  

Could you jockey your schedule around at all to make those two shorter workouts into one longer one, earlier in the day?  Or could you at least move the later day workout to an hour or two earlier than it is normally to give a bigger buffer to bedtime?

How about examining other reasons for the disturbed sleep?  Your 9 month old should be sleeping through the night....hopefully..?  Do you have a TV in the bedroom?  Major bad sleep culprit.  What do you eat for dinner and how close to bed?  Is it dark enough, quite enough?

My guess is if you manage to figure out how to get a better night's sleep your energy problems will be solved.

X2 - I think Noelle is right on.  I couldn't have said it better myself.

2012-12-11 3:56 PM

Veteran
Fort Worth, Texas

You are trying to treat the symptom and not fix the problem. No you don't need caffeine! More than likely the problem is your diet. You said that you snack during the day. What do you eat for a snack? Different things work for different people. If I eat a high carb meal I get very sleepy, but my brother doesn't have the same problem. I would experiment with some different healthy snacks and see how that goes.

Also you are probably over training. Cut back to just one workout a day for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If that does the trick then you may need to change your race goals to fit your current lifestyle. Maybe that long distance race just doesn't fit into your daily schedule.

I can tell you what worked for me when I was having the same problem, but just because it works for me does not mean it will work for you.

I stopped all caffeine about two years ago. That was the best thing I have ever done. I feel much more energized all day long. No peaks and valleys. Remember the caffeine rush is always followed by a low. I also gave up wheat. This has helped me sleep better and has cleared up acne that I have dealt with my whole life. If I have just a little wheat my face breaks out bad. So I am sensitive to wheat somehow. It only took me 39 years to figure out why my face was always broken out! 

The best advise you can get is to get a library card. READ READ READ. You will find the secret that works for you it may take several tries, but you will get there.

2012-12-12 1:06 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
The best recovery and energy boosting solution is adequate sleep. I'd consider cutting back some of the physical activity to include more sleep or a nap, even if it means short term reduction in trainign...see what it's like to live life when you're not so sleep deprived. Ou may just get more out of hte training you are doing and enjoy time wiht yoru daughters more!
2012-12-12 2:47 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
I agree with the "get more (and better) sleep" crowd.  More caffeine means poor sleep for me - it becomes a vicious cycle.  I cut back to a single cup of coffee first thing in the morning and the quality of my sleep improved dramatically.
2012-12-12 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Diet Mt. Dew!!!

Ok, I'm mostly kidding (I have 1 can a day, I'm a junkie!!). Seriously though, I have found that just getting an extra half hour of sleep a night makes a big difference. Experiment with going to bed just a little earlier for a week and see if you can tell a difference. You aren't working out too much. It is very rare that an Age-Grouper is over-trained and I don't think your schedule looks like you fall into that category. Good luck!

2012-12-12 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4530995

User image

Expert

BikerGrrrl - 2012-12-11 2:40 PM I found a new flavor of Crystal Light called "Energizing - Wild Strawberry" or something like that.  It's got caffeine but no sugar and the flavor is fairly light and delicious.  I can mix one individual packet with up to 30 ounces of water and still like the flavor.  The minimum is 16.9 ounces but I find that to be too sweet.  Trying this will also help with hydrating, which will also help you feel better. 

We got a soda stream machine on Black Friday. I use the Crystal light Strawberry Energy drink with that.. Fabulous.

Like pink champagne with caffeine. I'm hooked on it. 

2012-12-12 8:12 AM
in reply to: #4531106

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

JohnnyKay - 2012-12-11 2:29 PM You don't need caffiene.  You need more sleep.  Bedtime needs to be earlier.

yes this.  But your most important issue is the fact you don't like coffee!!!  What universe did you come from? 

Srsly, get more sleep.  i have also found a 10 minute "powernap" VERY helpful in the afternoons.  more than that is counterproductive but 10 minutes is golden.

2012-12-12 9:01 AM

The popular answer is, sleep more, and honestly, it would be the best for your general health and workout recovery.    However, I would be a hypocrite.  I choose to sleep less because it would result in me missing out on things I want to do, its as simple as that.  If I was a professional athlete, I may think different, but I probably wont change.

First of all, I do have a caffeine addiction, but frankly, I don't think that caffeine by itself is bad for you.  I usually do a 24 oz. coffee on the way to work, and one or two other caffeinated beverages during the day.  And if I can, I actually try to time one about 30-60 min prior a workout since it can provide a higher energy level, and caffeine has been shown to help endurance performance.  There are more healthy sources than others, but there are a ton and with little effort, I am sure you can find something you like. 

Secondly, I will work in a power nap once or twice a week. I always thought it was odd that people can even do it, it just didn't make sense that a person could fall asleep almost on command.  Occasionally I will get hit by what I call a "wave of fatigue", and if I am in a place that I could sleep for 10 to 20 minutes, I go for it. It is just about being in tune with your natural energy level.  And nothing cures a headache for me better than a power nap, it is almost like a "reset" button for my body.  Your block of time 15:30-20:30 is a nice block of time, and 10-20 minutes of power nap would probably make you more productive during that time. 

Lastly, I know it sounds crazy, but this is probably what could help you the most.  You could probably train before work.  When you exercise your body releases all sorts of endorphins that can get you all wired.  You are not giving yourself enough down time after your workout to relax.  For me at least, I can't see any possible way to get a good quality workout in and then be sleeping in an hour.  You will find that you feel no worse at 4:30am than at 6:00am, provided you go to bed earlier.  Just toughen up and give yourself a trial run, do it for 2 weeks or better yet, a month, and see how you feel. Also, just consider the struggle to sit up and get out of bed as the first part of the workout.  Training is not supposed to be all easy anyhow Wink.

Good luck.

2012-12-12 10:23 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON

Thank you everyone for your responses.

As many of you have mentioned, I do acknowledge that my sleeping habit is the root issue of all of this. Sleeping has been a challenge and I have to accept that fact. All the kids are in bed by 7:30-8:00 and on good night, none of them will wake up. (Those nights are rare but the sleeps are greats on those nights) Can’t really complaint about it because it is what kids do; they need their parents and waking up at night is something that I believe is common for whatever reason they have. (Need to go to the potty, need a drink, just want mom or dad, &hellip I just have to deal with it that. I am sure that most of parents on this board understand fully what parenting is all about and the younger they are, the challenge is more physical rather than mentally. From my understanding is that it will be the opposite when they get to their teenage years. No matter how hard it can be, I would not change it for anything in this world!!

I will definitely try to go to bed an extra 30min earlier and see if it will help me. Since we don’t have a TV in our bedroom, I usually just surf the net, read a book or watch a little bit of Netflix. That is usually what I do to relax and help myself to get ready for bedtime.

As far as nutrition, I have to try to look more into it. My eating habits are somehow healthy from my point of view. Being Asian, we eat a lot of rice at home and anything derived from it. I rarely eat fast food (even lunch time - left over from diner), lots of fruits/vegetables and jerky (I am addicted to beef jerkey 'alla' asian style or the typical one you find in any stores). My snacks consist of mainly nuts and some bars. (Cliff, cereal base, &hellip Honestly it is hard to keep track of my protein and carbs since it is not always easy to figure that out how much am I taking in from a homemade Asian dish but I will try. Hydration might be a cause as well as I don’t drink much water during the day unless I train or play sport.

I know that coffee or anything similar is not a solution but being a little selfish, I want to find out if there was any other alternative out there to keep me up and running while I can still do what I love.I have always said to my wife and friends that tri can be a very selfish sport and I am somehow guilty of it as I want to do as much as I can for myself without affecting family or work but this started to back firing on me. Training or sport is what keeps me level and a great stress relief so that is why I choose to sometime let my body/mind take a ‘pounding’ before taking a break.

I will try to cut back on some activities but can't promise. Deep down I still think that I am not over doing it right now and that if I can decent sleep, all this might 'go away'.

Again thank you for all your replies. This constant support from the tri community is one of the true reasons why I am in love with this sport. Sportsmanship in tri is really different than in other sport, especially team sport. (e.g. ice hockey)

Cheers.

Minh

2012-12-12 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Alternative to Coffee?   Maybe....DEATH! (or Meth)

If your blood work is good, then you need more rest.  Something has to give in your life.  To me, triathlon is more about managing my time. 

2012-12-12 11:31 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Understanding that your kids will be priority and interrupt your sleep - something I think a lot of folks overlook when sleeping poorly is the quality of their mattress. Just a thought.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coffee alternative? Rss Feed  

of 2