General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-12 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

I have been researching these shoes.  As I am looking to increase my mileage so I am looking for opinions.  These shoes intrigue me.

I've only found three reviews here.  I've read some online reviews as well.  I'm just trying to find out all the information I can.

A little background.  I am 6'4" 200-210 with a heel striking, over pronating running gait.  Current weekly mileage now is 20-30 miles but will be increasing this in the upcoming season.  Have a bad knee (MCL surgically repair) and a three herniated discs in the lumbar region of my back (again football.)

In the past I have run in Brooks Beasts while training for a HM and several of my earlier sprint triathlons.  I had good results with them however on longer runs experienced knee and hip pain the following day. Most of this time I was in the 240 lb. to 225 lb. range.

Through my training I managed to trim that weight down.  Because of this and in an effort to alleviate some of the joint soreness I have tried out the Saucony Hurricane 14.  This has truly been a failed experament for me.  Runs over 6 or 7 miles leave me with moderate knee pain and now a noticable back pain.

Could this shoe be the answer?  I am trying to get all the information I can before ponying up the $170.00 these things are going for.  I know there is really only one way to know for sure but I thought I'd put this out to the most knowlegable group I know and see what I get back.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

2012-12-12 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4532232

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes

Someone more familiar with shoes and gait should chime in, but I can speak to the shoes themselves.

I just got a pair. To me, they have a similar feel to running on a treadmill. They won't be my full time shoe - for me they will likely be for recovery runs, and possibly some long runs once I get used to them.

There's an awesome thread over on SlowTwitch with a lot of input and responses from people with similar issues to yourself, and it could be helpful.

2012-12-12 10:38 AM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon

Search around a bit and you can get them much cheaper. I have a pair of the Mafate 2's from backcountry.com that I got for $120. They also pop up on the about once a week for $65, but in limited sizes and sell out in minutes.

I use mine for long trail runs and while the day of, my legs feel about the same as in my brooks puregrits, the day after, I feel much better. These shoes are great for fast recovery. I also like the fact that I don't have to pay so close attention where I land.

Since they are actually a very low drop shoe (around 6mm) you'd get some strain on your Achilles tendon and calf muscles the first few weeks.

2012-12-12 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I had never heard o these before, but there are lots of very positive reviews on the web.
2012-12-12 11:48 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

Just got a pair of the Stinson Evos and LOVE them.  I was sold after seeing a bunch of them at the Wild Hare 50k/50m last month, and then reading about people raving about them on ST.

Also a bunch of folks on the Tejas Trails FB page (which you should check out since you're a local) have been raving about them recently.

They are a different feel I will admit.  It's like having two giant tempurpedic mattresses on your feet.  But the cushiness is so nice.  I've done a few 10-13 milers in them and felt good so far, but haven't done my long run (30 miler) in them yet.  I'll let you know after Saturday what I thought... if you can wait that long.

Also, I had noticed that a bunch of folks were saying they were getting 800-1000 miles or more out of them.  That was a big selling point for me.  If I can get 2-3 times more miles out of a shoe than I've been getting out of my Kinvaras (300-400 miles at most), it's worth twice the cost.

2012-12-12 1:47 PM

Love my Hoka's. They look funny, but they work for me. They do 2 things for me: one, because of the 4cm drop, my heal striking is reduced, it puts me in a better position to run. Two, and this is the part I love, it absorbs the pounding from running. I've worn a variety of Brooks shoes for years, still run in them for short runs, and have loved them. When I run 4-6 miles over my lunch hour, when I return to my desk job, after sitting for an hour doing work, I've always been stiff. That's what happens to me when I'm 57. With the Hoka's, I have none of that stiffness. I can feel in my legs that I've had a workout, but I'm just not sore. I was not aware of the impact when running when I wore my Brooks. Now that I've switched to the Hoka's, when I switch out to my Brooks, I can feel the ground radiating up through my legs and hips. It's pretty remarkable. I do get questions about the shoes and everyone thinks they're heavy because of the look, but they're no heavier than my Brooks. I'm a convert.

Robin

2012-12-13 8:31 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have a pair of Bondi Bs that I have been running in for over a year. They are my go-to shoe for long runs and also for recovery runs when my legs are really beat up. I love them and am currently looking to buy another pair. I don't run in them every day, but I am a shoe rotator, I run in different shoes every day. They could easily be your every day shoe. There is a pretty good thread on ST about these shoes and Dan Empfield has a review there that is well worth the read.

Review type things:

I think they run just a tiny bit small. Not a lot but a little.

I don't do a good job of tracking mileage on my shoes. This pair probably has several hundred miles on them. I think the soles have worn a little bit more than other shoes I have with comparable miles; which is disappointing in a shoe this expensive. Others have posted that theirs wear very well.

They look really big and clunky but they are light and fast. I know a guy here in Michigan who has run a 17:xx 5K in them.

I am happy enough that I am buying another pair.
2012-12-13 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
I have the Mafate and the Stinson Tarmac. I just got them 2 months ago or so. The Stinson is my go to shoe, I use it three days a week. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or what but I can do so much more mileage on that shoe. I fatigue less during long runs and feel much better the next day. Also, my feet don't hurt as much. They have less splinting of the foot, I feel, then my NB 1063s (of which I have 4 pairs) so I guess it just must be the increased shock absorption that helps.

However, they have a low drop. Although I run in the 1063s, I also have low drop shoes that I have run in. So even though they are super cushiony I would be cautious moving to them if you don't have a history of running in low drop shoes. Go slow. Don't wear them every day.

The other concern I would have is that I think the Beasts are a motion control shoe. You probably will find that the Hokas are far less splinting effect on your foot.

Also, the Hokas are not a heel striking shoe. They are midfoot frontfoot striking shoe. Overstriding on a Hoka would be dangerous, I think there would be a greater possibility of an ankle roll. A heel strike is not out of the question though as long as you land under your hips.

Finally, and as mentioned, be very careful of rolling your ankle. I heard that people had no problems in this regard but I had moderate difficulty the first couple runs. I found this strange as I run in a large variety of shoes. I don't have any trouble with rolling my heel any more so I must have some how adjusted my stride when running in them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone familiar with HOKA One One shoes Rss Feed