General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ketogenic diet...all the rage. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-12-06 12:31 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Champion
PA
Subject: RE: Ketogenic diet...all the rage.

Originally posted by Dnn I hate fad diets. They're a tiny step above dieting pills. Stupid shortcuts for people who are lazy and presumably stupid. That's in a weight loss context though, but I remain skeptical even if we are talking sports context. The science behind nutrition isn't hard to understand if you spend 5 minutes reading. Nutrition for long distance racing is more tricky, but for a regular athlete/person it should be straight forward.

I diagree with you on multiple points.  First, a low carb diet is not a fad diet.  Secondly, your choice over what foods you eat, based upon a desired result is not even close to a diet pill where a person wants to take a shortcut over hard work. 

Finally, a ketogenic diet is far from a shortcut for people who are "lazy and presumably stupid."  I can appreciate long distance endurance sports but what I chose to do now requires something far from lazy and stupid.  It is rather intense and it is well calculated.  I am targeting an all natural 400lb bench press by April and doing things natural (without shortcuts) requires some intense (not so lazy) workouts.

2013-12-06 12:42 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Dnn I hate fad diets. They're a tiny step above dieting pills. Stupid shortcuts for people who are lazy and presumably stupid. That's in a weight loss context though, but I remain skeptical even if we are talking sports context. The science behind nutrition isn't hard to understand if you spend 5 minutes reading. Nutrition for long distance racing is more tricky, but for a regular athlete/person it should be straight forward.

That escalated quickly. 

2013-12-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by lisac957

That escalated quickly. 

Depends on how you look at it. About a year after the OP.

Edited by brigby1 2013-12-06 1:19 PM
2013-12-06 3:03 PM
in reply to: DiOnMaui

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by DiOnMaui

Fat-adapted is the term you want to use.  You want to train your body to burn fat for fuel and not rely as heavily on carbs.

Paleo nutrition follows this principle and it works for endurance athletes.  It is not a fad diet - fads are not sustainable (who can live on the cabbage soup diet?).  Why do you think the majority of people are stuck in the yo-yo dieting rut? As another poster mentioned, calories in = calories out does not work for most people.

Nell Stephenson (Paleoista) is a perfect example of a successful Ironman athlete who follows Paleo and trains others to do the same.  Mark Sisson (Primal Blueprint) is your Paleo guy + dairy.  Check out Vinnie Tortorich's postcasts (outrageous fun to listen to, but good endurance nutrition advice as well) for his No Sugar/No Grains philosophy.

Unfortunately most people hear High fat diet and paleo, read one article which is one of many shades of grey. There is a lot of different theories, thoughts on the same paleo concept. I think if you do it, it should be a lifestyle change in order to become healthier. Di is correct you should be using the term fat adaptive which is basically training your body to burn fat more efficiently. Before doing it you should educate yourself on what fats are good for you and which are not. Which one you should cook with and which ones you should not.
Most of the paleo diets are calling vegetables as your base on the pyrimids along with eating more protein's. Stressing to cut out processed food which most nutritionists agree with. The major point of contention in the paleo diet is about eating grains, and if they are actually healthy for you or not. Remember that grains became the base of the food pyramid when the government started to subsidized farmers to grow wheat.
2013-12-07 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4533120

User image

Veteran
indiana
Another couple sources are dr Phil mafatone, and dr Tim noakes. Both are proponents of fat adaptive diets. And I think they know a thing or two about endurance sports.
2013-12-07 9:03 AM
in reply to: ditchmedic

User image

Milwaukee
Just adding one more.

Ben Greenfield trained for IM Canada, qualified for Kona and then did Kona on a ketogenic diet this year.

Although he admits to bonking during both races and drinking a lot of Coke to finish.

http://www./2013/09/combining-low-carb-and-triathlon/

2014-08-24 5:33 PM
in reply to: kskonkol

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
MET, metabolic efficiency training is actually the "smart" fat adapting training & nutrition plan by Seebohar. It is NOT Paleo.

Read up. Try it. You'll sleep better, lean out, and the original poster on this thread, might even be less of a nasty-pants.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ketogenic diet...all the rage. Rss Feed  

of 2