Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Yet another gun thing this time at an elementary school Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-12-14 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4535994

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Yet another gun thing this time at an elementary school
4agoodlife - 2012-12-14 6:40 PM

pitt83 - 2012-12-14 3:18 PM
4agoodlife - 2012-12-14 5:51 PMMy boy is in K. I saw a brief news report about a school shooting before I dropped him off. My MIL called an hour later and started giving me details. Even a grocery cashier tried to talk about it...til I was rather abrupt. I didn't want to know more. I'm glad I waited til I picked him up to look at news. Devastating. Just babies. He's outside playing, oblivious to most of the evil in the world...and I can cry and be thankful for that.
Hug your boy tonight. Give him a new dirt pile to play in tomorrow.
Lots of hugs already. He'd think a dirt pile was THE BEST!!!!

I may be 51, but I remember 5.

Edited by pitt83 2012-12-14 6:21 PM

2012-12-14 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4535973

User image

Pro
NorCal
GomesBolt - 2012-12-14 3:14 PM When I was a kid, we lived in Guatemala. They'd do Earthquake drills where we'd get under our desk or get to a door jam. When the earthquake stopped, we'd go outside.

Do we need to start doing a shooting drill at schools? I know it's rare, but How often do you have a school fire? Those kids had no idea what to do. I can't even imagine what that was like for those kids. How do you prepare a kid for that what if situation?

My niece (10 yr-old) and nephew (5-yr old) live in Southern California and sadly, at school they practice lock-downs and teaching the kids to hide under their desks.  They live in a middle/upper-middle class community, much like Newtown.  Told my brother to give them extra hug and kiss from me today....such a tragedy.

2012-12-14 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4535935

KeriKadi - 2012-12-14 5:21 PM My girls ate 5, 9 and 10 and will be sheltered from what happened today. We don't usually watch news when they are around. I feel they will learn of evil and tragedies like today soon enough.

Children younger than them were killed today and saw their friends and teachers get shot and killed, have the respect to at least tell your children about it, so they can dip their toes in the horrors of the real world.

2012-12-14 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4536050

User image

Pro
Houston
XCtoTri - 2012-12-14 7:41 PM

KeriKadi - 2012-12-14 5:21 PM My girls ate 5, 9 and 10 and will be sheltered from what happened today. We don't usually watch news when they are around. I feel they will learn of evil and tragedies like today soon enough.

Children younger than them were killed today and saw their friends and teachers get shot and killed, have the respect to at least tell your children about it, so they can dip their toes in the horrors of the real world.

What good would that do? If only adults were killed should I tell them or just because it was children? We homeschool but I don't want my children to think school=a pace where children are not safe. We do not homeschool out of fear and I don't want them to fear public school. They will learn of horrible acts soon enough. I know I m glad we were spared 24 hour news stories from all over the world when I was a kid.

2012-12-14 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4536055

User image

Pro
KeriKadi - 2012-12-14 7:55 PM

What good would that do? If only adults were killed should I tell them or just because it was children? We homeschool but I don't want my children to think school=a pace where children are not safe. We do not homeschool out of fear and I don't want them to fear public school. They will learn of horrible acts soon enough. I know I m glad we were spared 24 hour news stories from all over the world when I was a kid.

That's right.  

You're a great mom....do what you feel is right. 

2012-12-14 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4535203

User image

Elite
Grew up in England at the height of Irish terrorism we had more bomb drills at school and work than lessons! The IRA may not have opened fire with guns but hundreds of innocents lost their lives through cruel bombings. No one should lose a child. RIP

2012-12-14 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Thoughts and prayers are what is required. These families have mine.
2012-12-14 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4536078

User image

Elite

FishrCutB8 - 2012-12-15 1:59 PM Thoughts and prayers are what is required. These families have mine.

Absolutely.

2012-12-15 12:41 AM
in reply to: #4536055

User image

Expert
Portland
KeriKadi - 2012-12-14 7:55 PM

I respectfully disagree, I feel children should understand that there is evil in this world.  In this CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connecticut-shooting-reader-suggestions/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

Point 8 points at parenting as a major player in these situations.  I feel that we have tried too hard to bolster a child's self-esteem, but have not done enough to give them the tools to cope when things do not go as planned.  I feel this is the primary reason our society has such a severe sense of entitlement.

Thank you to all those that care for their children (as you do), and there is not a deep enough pit in he11 for this guy.

2012-12-15 1:11 AM

Master
Houston, TX
Kerikadi, totally agree with you. This violence is completely nonsensical and there is no 8 yr old explanation for this. A lesson for a latter date. They will learn this on their own time and experience.
2012-12-15 6:52 AM

User image

Bronze member

Let's not go here, to this place where we are judging one another as people and as parents. I know we are upset and trying to put this in a box and label it - he's crazy, it's bad parenting, it's guns etc. But there is no box for something this horrendous.

Keri has dedicated her life to raising her children, there is no doubt in my mind she is making the best decision for her family.

I will also not be telling my two children - age 4 & 6. What I am doing is playing trains when they ask, giving my daughter all the kisses she wants (which is a lot), and climbing all the way to the top of my sons bunk bed to tuck him in.

Now, if my children or any other child I work with through the Sunday School program or PSR program at my church asks me questions then yes, we will talk.

2012-12-15 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4536209

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
trigal38 - 2012-12-15 7:52 AM

Let's not go here, to this place where we are judging one another as people and as parents. I know we are upset and trying to put this in a box and label it - he's crazy, it's bad parenting, it's guns etc. But there is no box for something this horrendous.

Keri has dedicated her life to raising her children, there is no doubt in my mind she is making the best decision for her family.

I will also not be telling my two children - age 4 & 6. What I am doing is playing trains when they ask, giving my daughter all the kisses she wants (which is a lot), and climbing all the way to the top of my sons bunk bed to tuck him in.

Now, if my children or any other child I work with through the Sunday School program or PSR program at my church asks me questions then yes, we will talk.

The most sensible sentence I've read.

It's a day for love and acceptance. One which is beyond overdue.
2012-12-15 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4536226

User image

Pro
Houston
pitt83 - 2012-12-15 7:42 AM
trigal38 - 2012-12-15 7:52 AM

The most sensible sentence I've read. It's a day for love and acceptance. One which is beyond overdue.

Thanks guys. Anybody who 'knows' me knows I don't take anything having to do with my kids lightly.

I grew up in lower class Arizona. During the summer of 1969 or 1970 there was a man preying on young children. He originally posed as an icecream man and got in tight with all the kids asking which room was there etc.  There were a string of break-ins. Children were attacked, raped and there was a death that may or may not be related. This man broke into my sisters room. He grabbed her and while trying to keep her quiet knocked out one of her teeth, she swallowed. My Dad chased him down the street.

This happened in my HOME.  I was not told anything about this until I was older.  If they had told me about this when I was very young like my 5 year old I cannot imagine the terror I would feel in my own room.

My daughters have thoughts about public school and I do my best to dispel the misinformation. They already think public schools are full of bullies because they have seen movies and TV shows that deal with bullies and though they are very active in a homeschool school, scouts, sports, etc. they have never had to deal with bullies so they assume it is only a public school issue.

The last thing they need is learning some bad guy walked into a public school and killed 20 children.  They would never want to go to school!  Homeschool works great for us right now but life changes and children's needs change and I don't want them to continue to homeschool solely because they are terrified of public school.

They will know the evils of the world soon enough.  We have two older children, they are not sheltered from bad things happening. We also sometimes watch the news together (though rare) They know about hurricanes (firsthand) and they know there are bad people out there.  However, we as adults are just LOST right now, if ya'll are anything like me you go between not wanting to hear anything about it to wanting all the information now.  I cannot possibly comprehend what happened yesterday and expecting young children to know how to deal with it is simply asking too much. 

2012-12-15 10:37 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I think I'll tell my son as soon as I'm ready to talk about it. It's a little too fresh right now.

I'm going to focus on the "helpers", from that Mr. Rogers quote that's going around on Facebook. There is evil in the world and that's not a secret, but there is abundant good as well and he should know that.
2012-12-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4536263

User image

Extreme Veteran

KeriKadi - 2012-12-15 8:18 AM
pitt83 - 2012-12-15 7:42 AMHowever, we as adults are just LOST right now, if ya'll are anything like me you go between not wanting to hear anything about it to wanting all the information now.  I cannot possibly comprehend what happened yesterday and expecting young children to know how to deal with it is simply asking too much. 

This is how I feel- Lost.  Yesterday was my daughter's birthday and I could not decide if I should still take her to the zoo as it just didn't feel right at all.  Then I remembered talking with a co-worker about what we would do if our co-workers in Asia texted us next Friday to say the world really was ending.  I told them I couldn't think of anything better than picking up my daughter and going to the zoo with her. 

She is just a few years younger and every year on her birthday I will mourn for the parents and families of this tragedy.  Luckily she is too young to comprehend, but I would lead towards not telling younger children.

2012-12-15 4:44 PM

User image

Master

I have a boy in K. Being a SAHM after 12 years of teaching, it was a big decision to send him to school instead of spending another year learning at home. We don't regret that choice. He loves school (most days) and his friends. Yesterday hit me hard as a teacher and a mother.

My husband came home, asked,"Did you say anything to him?", and I just shook my head. That was it. He's 5. He already knows about "bad people" in the world. We talk to him about being safe and strangers and kidnappers and lots of things like that. He asks questions when he sees/hears bad things on the news. 

But yesterday was different. Yesterday, a place where he should be able to put all his thoughts and focus into learning and having fun was attacked. I'm not going to put that kind of fear into him. Not yet. I know I can't shield him from this incident completely. He will see or hear information at some point. However, I want my little boy to retain some innocence of his world...even if only for another week.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Yet another gun thing this time at an elementary school Rss Feed  

of 4