General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathletes- how'd your first year go? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-20 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
Subject: New Triathletes- how'd your first year go?

I sometimes like to throw posts up on the board so we can engage newer triathletes who might be lurking and forming their own opinions about what they read here, and the interaction between posters. I know when I first came to BT it was because I needed good information and the experience of others during my first couple of years.  I think for even more experience athletes, it is helpful to continue to learn from others.  I know sometimes the forum can generate repeat topics, circular conversations, and debating that might add value for some, but not for others.

So, I wondered if some of the first year (or just newer) athletes might talk about how their first year went, and how this forum might help them move forward in 2013?  Not just how your races went, but maybe other related challenges and successes?  

And even if you're not a newbie, anyone could post to get things rolling.... 

Edited by tri-ghost 2012-12-20 7:31 AM

2012-12-20 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4542388

User image

Subject: RE: New Triathletes- how'd your first year go?

I still consider myself a newbie.  My first sprint triathlon was October 2011 and for 2012 I did a Sprint, Olympic and ended the season doing the Augusta HIM.

This site has been a great resource over the past year and a half.  I probably login almost every day (primarily to the Georgia forum) and read alot of the posts.  Things that I have particularly been interested in reading are related to training tips and nutrition.  If it wasn't for this site and asking you all for advice I may have had a different experience (performance wise) over my first year in tris.    

2012-12-20 3:10 PM

2012 was my first year and I did four sprints over the summer.  For me, it was a big challenge as I did not have a dedicated background in any of the three disciplines.  However, I have a background in multiple sports (baseball, golf, snowboarding, basketball) and have been strength training for over 10 years.  My athleticism across other activities definitely helped me to not be a total disaster.  Aside from learning new disciplines I had to learn HOW to train properly.  

My biggest mistake was my swim training and underestimating how difficult it is to become at least a MOP swimmer.  Rule #1:  it does not matter how awesome you are out of the water, none of that matters when you get in it.  It was a humbling experience for sure.  Early on I would get in and mimic what the people who looked like they knew what they were doing but I didn't do enough of it.  It wasn't until a co-worker gave me a TI book and I discovered the 0-1650 program when I really made my big gains.  However, I know I have a flawed form so I plan on getting coaching early in 2013 as I prep for the new season.  Early in my training swimming a 25 yard lap was a chore but at my peak in August I swam 1 mile in the pool non-stop with no problem.  Aside from form and conditioning my biggest hurdle with the swim is I am terrified of the washing machine start.  I get stuck around people, get frustrated, then I panic, and then my swim suffers.  When I did the TRI PTC Sprint in August they had a wave start (2 go off every 5 sec.  Lined up by given 100 yd pace time) and I had my best OWS to date.  Did 600 yards in just over 10 minutes.  Need to find a way to not panic in the washing machine or just become really awesome so I start at the front and lead the pack and not worry about the chaos.   

I didn't own a bike before my first tri so I set a low budget and bought a decent bike but will definitely trade in this year to get better components, primarily cranks and all that.  With my job I can only really bike on the weekends but will augment that training with spin classes at night.  I really enjoy being on a bike but living in Buckhead makes it difficult.  My bike mph average in my tris was right at 20 mph and I hope to get that up a few notches.

Running.  I hate running.  I mean I absolutely hate it.  Hate it hate it hate it.  That said, I have started to ramp up my training recently and actually enjoy going for morning run.  I hate it while I am doing it but enjoy being outside and the sense of accomplishment.  My best 5K time lately was at 6:50 / mi and I did a 5 mile run a week ago at 7:15 / mi.  Starting to slowly increase my distance and will give the HR training a shot once my new toys (Nike+ Sportwatch GPS and Polarlink HR monitor) arrive next week.  I don't run all out when I go so am curious to see where I am at in the HR zones at my current effort level.  

So with the lessons learned in 2012 my focus in 2013 will be:

1.  Swim coaching 

2.  More brick training

3.  Work up to 20 miles / week running while using HR zone training

4.  Find more time for the bike and not let my golf suffer with it

Edited by tb1000 2012-12-20 3:14 PM
2012-12-23 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
Rubant & tb1000, I appreciate you stepping out there and sharing your experiences!  Best of luck in your upcoming season!
2012-12-23 2:53 PM

This year was a great success for me.  I dropped 45 pounds in the spring and then got into triathlon as a way to keep the weight off.  I did 4 sprints (My First Tri, Blue Ridge, PTC, and Douglasville Last Chance) and improved all season while also getting an age group medal in the last one.  Since then I've been focusing on running and did the Atlanta Half marathon and the Brasstown Bald Buster 5k last weekend (another age group medal!

The forum has been a great tool for me in finding tips about races, training, technique, equipment, etc.  I probably check it almost everyday and read the main forum as well as the Georgia forum. 

My biggest challenge has been money as I am on a limited budget and this can be an expensive sport.  I bought my first bike off of craigslist ($150) to start the season and have slowly purchased tri-specific clothing (the first race I was in running shorts and a soccer shirt).  I'm not swimming or riding right now again because of funds, the pool membership and winter riding clothes are out of the budget right now.  I'm planning to get started again in the spring when the weather warms up and am hoping that running 25-30 miles a week and 3x per week lifting will carry me over to next season. 

Next season I want to get an earlier start on races (April or May) and try my first olympic distance event.  I really don't have an interest or training time for anything longer (more power to those who do!) but I'm always looking for different races and the opportunity to stay in shape.  For me, triathlon is a fun way to keep the weight off.    

2012-12-23 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4546089

User image

Elite
SE

Allen,

well done on racing, training, and weight loss!

tell us what size you are and we will throw you some winter clothes. no tri lover should go without this time of year. the forum will find you what you need.

BTW nobody should listen to Coach Dan who says you can't get faster and lose weight at the same time. Another one of those things that doesn't apply to most of us noobs and/or phatties!

2012-12-23 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4546089

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
Allen, congratulations on the weight loss and a great season!  And, yes, triathlon can be ridiculously expensive. But there are many ways to make it more reasonable.  Keep at it no matter what, and the best of luck in 2013!  
2012-12-23 6:27 PM

Hi there!  This was my first summer of trying triathlons.  I decided I was going to challenge myself (and get outside my comfort zone workouts) and do a sprint for my 40th birthday.  I did the Iron Girl at Lake Lanier in May and the Blue Ridge in July.  I thought I was a pretty fit and active person, but it was hard for me to train in all areas.  I went into this not being really good/experienced at any of the three elements.  I thought I was a good swimmer and focused the beginning of the year on cycling work.  When I got to the Iron Girl the swim was MUCH harder than I expected.  I also made the crucial mistake of not practicing the open watch swim- YIKES!  The swim was terrifying for me!  I was frankly thankful I just made it out of the water!  The cycling went pretty good, still a lot of room for improvement (like on hills).  My run was pretty sad, walk/run I should say.  I was really happy to get to the end! = )

Over the summer I started a master swim group at my gym.  HUGE improvements!  I quickly got more comfortable in the water and breathing properly (which is apparently important - ha ha!), and my endurance greatly improved over the summer.  However, I still didn't work on my run that much.  Did I mention I haven't found the love of running?!?!?

The Blue Ridge race was better.  I was more comfortable on the swim, but I still have issues with open water swims.  I just get a little freaked out and I'm not really sure why?  I know I can do the distance without any problem, but something still seems to get to me.  I really need more open water PRACTICE.

My biggest challenge is finding the time to train in all three sports.  I seem to focus on one at a time and the other two suffer.  I enjoy this site because I like to see how everyone else balance it out.  Work, family, workouts and everything else that needs to get done.  I also like the workout tips people post and the race reports.  This winter I am really going to get my running under control and work hard to keep myself in all three sports constantly (instead of focusing on one).  I will also follow an actual training plan which I really didn't do before (I know, STUPID!).  I plan on following a 5k of 10k running plan starting January and then switch to an olympic training plan.  I'm not sure which tri I will do first next summer.  I would like one that my family could come to see me. = )

Thanks for everyone's helpful posts and suggestions.  I'm still a work in progress! 

2012-12-26 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4546263

User image

Veteran
Washington, Georgia
JC Mom, congrats on a great first season!  It looks like you are off to a good start.  I think you will find that improvement in the run comes pretty easy with some work.  You just have to find ways to make it fun and convenient.  Best of luck in 2013!  Let us know if you need any help! 
2012-12-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4546145

Thank for the encouragement.  As a father of four and employee of a more than full time job, time is also an issue with the shorter days.  Thanks for the offer on the clothes, I'll keep saving my leftover pennies as I appreciate things a lot more when I've saved for them.  For me, the weight loss happened before I started tri specific training so I really haven't lost anything since I started triathlon.  Have a great 2013 and thanks for all the great advice and words of wisdom on the forums.
2012-12-27 11:22 AM

User image

New user
Athens, GA
I had great fun my first year. I started with the Early Bird sprint tri here in Athens with my 30-year-old Schwinn, got hooked and used that as justification for upgrading my ride, and finished with the Rev3 HIM in Anderson. Every race I learned something new and experienced multiple "firsts." I learned that with a minimum of consistent effort (2x/week at the pool) the swim is my strongest leg, and that I really need to keep working on my bike and run (even though I thought I was a runner coming into the season). What I learned was that I need to be a little more systematic about when/what races I choose, and be a little clearer about which are A/B/C races. I will probably seek some advice here about choosing some races after the new year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New Triathletes- how'd your first year go? Rss Feed