BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-04-12 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4698514

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!!
trei - 2013-04-12 6:52 PM

I do have a question:  Since Ive been on thetrainer over the winter, I need to get new bike tires.  I am cycling illiterate, so what should I be looking for?  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Todd

I'm assuming you have clinchers?  I'm not an expert on tire selection.  I've been using Bontrager Racelite X on my road bike most of the time and like them.  Mostly depends on how much money you want to spend.

2013-04-13 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4698621

User image

Elite
Ontario
Birkierunner - 2013-04-12 10:31 PM
trei - 2013-04-12 6:52 PM

I do have a question:  Since Ive been on thetrainer over the winter, I need to get new bike tires.  I am cycling illiterate, so what should I be looking for?  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Todd

I'm assuming you have clinchers?  I'm not an expert on tire selection.  I've been using Bontrager Racelite X on my road bike most of the time and like them.  Mostly depends on how much money you want to spend.

Lot of data coming out lately showing theat the Conti |GP4000S are proving to be incredibly good.  Take a look at the data from FLO - lots of info on ST as well.  They really seem to be the go to tire at the moment.  Great all rounder, and fast.

2013-04-14 4:46 PM
in reply to: #4542585

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hi Everyone,

First I want to thank those of you that inquired as to whether I am still alive or not and if so, where have I been. 

Back in the middle of February I suddenly started having really, REALLY bad cramps in my right leg.  I have a history of DVT (blood clots) in my right leg so my first thought was I had developed another blood clot.  When I went to the doctor (this was my first visit to this doctor as we recently changed insurance), he didn’t think we needed to do an ultrasound as, other than my history, there was no sign of another DVT.  I vehemently disagreed however, he was the one that could authorize the testing.  So that, as they say, was that.  He recommended I take a few days off, then resume training as I could tolerate it.

OPPS!

The last day of February I was clinically diagnosed in the E.R. with a DVT in my right leg.  Because of my history (this is the fourth one in the last 16 years) I was hospitalized while they started anti-coagulation therapy.  In an abundance of caution, they kept me chained to a hospital bed for 8 days.

After a couple weeks at home, the quack – I mean doctor, released me to start working out again.

Eight workouts later, and not particularly difficult workouts at that, I threw a clot, which resulted in a pulmonary embolism…and another week in the hospital.

Needless to say, I have changed my primary care physician!

At this point, I have a primary, an internal medicine doctor, and a physical therapist.  Depending upon which one you listen to, my options range from: a) resume full workouts immediately, b) resume very light physical activity – swimming and short walks, c) only bed rest.

I am opting for the somewhat conservative path and starting with easy walks, some swimming and weights, and daily re-evaluation in consultation with the PT (who interestingly is the one who recommended the conservative path).

Sadly, my plans for the half-marathon early next month are cancelled.  Beyond that, I have no idea when I may be able to resume a full training schedule so kind of difficult to plan for future races.  My Kona attempt is not until next year so hopefully this doesn’t take that off the table.

I have always been a somewhat black and white kind of guy.  Either you’re going to do something or you’re not and I HATE excuses.  First it was emergency surgery, then it was the flu, now this.  The last six months has been 180 days I would just as soon forget.  That said, this is only a temporary roadblock.  Kona is still out there – calling me!

I will be lurking in the background.  Thanks again to those who have asked how I am doing.

2013-04-15 8:08 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
That's a really tough go Scott.  I hope you can find the middle ground in a hurry and just back to being healthy.  Tri's and Kona aren't going anywhere, so just focus on getting yourself in a good place, and the training will fall back in place once you are ready.
2013-04-15 9:48 AM

User image

Pro
Wow, Scott...not sure what to say other than take care of your health first.  Kona is not worth trying to come back too soon.  The behavior of your first primary physician is appaulling.  And he gets away with it and keeps practicing.  Unreal.  Keep us updated.
2013-04-15 11:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach

Hello, May I join?

Name: Karen- trigator01

Story: I joined BT, trained and raced in 2011.  Did 4 sprints.  Loved it.  In the fall and winter, I switched over to marathon training, did  Marine Corps in DC and Donna in Jacksonville, FL.  Spring of 2012 I switched back to tri training.  Feb 29 (Leap Day) I hit a pick-up truck, fell, broke my hip and pelvis in three places.  I was not allowed to exerciese at all for 7 months. So, 25 pounds later, I gear up for one marathon: Melbourne Music marathon, just so the year wasn't a total bust. I also did 2 halfs, but they were just "for fun".   Now in 2013 I am back to training for triathlons. 

Family status : Married, hubby is very suportive of my tri training.  2 kids: 18 senior in high school, daughter.  14, 8th grade son. Great kids.

Current Training: I have the Frogman coming up in Daytona Beach this weekend, the the Rocketman, Pineapple man and Halifax.  All are only sprint distances, except for the first.  I hope to find 2 olympics to complete this season before I again transition back to marathon training.

Weight loss: I've taken off 20 of the 25 I put on.  Now I'd like to lose about 5-8 more.

What would make me a good mentee: I knjoyed the mentor group I was in two years ago.  I found I looked forward to sharing my training woes, and encouraging others.  I do feel, a bit out of it asking to join an already established group. If you'll have me, I'd love it. Smile~Karen

2013-04-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4700734

User image

Pro
trigator01 - 2013-04-15 11:16 AM

Hello, May I join?

Name: Karen- trigator01

Story: I joined BT, trained and raced in 2011.  Did 4 sprints.  Loved it.  In the fall and winter, I switched over to marathon training, did  Marine Corps in DC and Donna in Jacksonville, FL.  Spring of 2012 I switched back to tri training.  Feb 29 (Leap Day) I hit a pick-up truck, fell, broke my hip and pelvis in three places.  I was not allowed to exerciese at all for 7 months. So, 25 pounds later, I gear up for one marathon: Melbourne Music marathon, just so the year wasn't a total bust. I also did 2 halfs, but they were just "for fun".   Now in 2013 I am back to training for triathlons. 

Family status : Married, hubby is very suportive of my tri training.  2 kids: 18 senior in high school, daughter.  14, 8th grade son. Great kids.

Current Training: I have the Frogman coming up in Daytona Beach this weekend, the the Rocketman, Pineapple man and Halifax.  All are only sprint distances, except for the first.  I hope to find 2 olympics to complete this season before I again transition back to marathon training.

Weight loss: I've taken off 20 of the 25 I put on.  Now I'd like to lose about 5-8 more.

What would make me a good mentee: I knjoyed the mentor group I was in two years ago.  I found I looked forward to sharing my training woes, and encouraging others.  I do feel, a bit out of it asking to join an already established group. If you'll have me, I'd love it. Smile~Karen

Hi Karen.  Don't worry, we've had a couple of new folks join recently so jump right in and participate

2013-04-15 3:45 PM

User image

Jim, I'm glad to read what you wrote of the swells that day in Madison while filming.  I got a bit nervous about the swim after seeing the waves!

Thanks Neil and Jim with the tire recommendations.  I will check out both. 

Scott sorry to hear about the health issues.  I hope everything gets back to normal for you.

Also, my heart goes out to those injured at the Boston Marathon.  Hard to Believe!

Todd

2013-04-15 11:46 PM

User image

I rode the IM Louisville course Sunday.

Hills, hills and more hills.  If you are planning on doing the IM Louisville, don't take the  bike lightly.  It is challenging. 

Todd

2013-04-16 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
I have my first tri of  the season this Sunday.  Wetsuits should be allowed.  I just bought one this year, so I have never raced in it.  Any tips on T1 with a wetsuit?  Thanks ~Karen
2013-04-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4702244

User image

Elite
Ontario

If you can, try and get in at least one swim in it before hand.  If it fits properly then it will feel a bit restrictive, and that can be a very odd sensation the first couple of times swimming in it - it especially can feel constrictive around the shoulders (but every suit is a bit different).  I learned the hard way that I really need to hike my suit up around my shoulders so I have enough "play", otherwise I was kind of fighting the suit and ended up with sore shoulders.  I'm tall, but light, so my suit looks decidely small on me - but fits me well.

For getting in and out of the suit - make sure to use ample amounts of something like body glide on your arms and legs to help the suit slide off + do the back of your neck as some people have issues with the suit chafing them.

2013-04-16 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Daytona Beach
Thanks for the insite Neil.  I swam in the wet suit this past weekend at the beach.  Other than getting knocked all around due to the rough surf, I felt fine in the suit.  Body glide on the legs, arms and neck is a great suggestion. I'll try it this weekend for the race.~KarenLaughing
2013-04-17 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4702932

User image

Pro

trigator01 - 2013-04-16 2:27 PM Thanks for the insite Neil.  I swam in the wet suit this past weekend at the beach.  Other than getting knocked all around due to the rough surf, I felt fine in the suit.  Body glide on the legs, arms and neck is a great suggestion. I'll try it this weekend for the race.~KarenLaughing

Neil hit the high points already.  One thing I try to do is to use the lubricating effect of water inside the suit as much as possible.  So, when I am coming in to shore approaching T1 and can stand up I try to get my zipper undone ASAP and start getting my arms out of the suit while I'm walking to shore.  In some races I've done the distance from shore to the transition area is rather long and the water inside your suit leaks out before you get to your bike.  The sooner you can get the suit off the better you can use the lube of the water (combined with body glide) to help getting the suit off.   

2013-04-19 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
First bike race of the season cancelled for tomorrow due to 8" of new snow....
2013-04-20 9:14 AM

User image

no hurry on this, but could someone kind of go over the special needs bag in an ironman.  How does it work, how many are there,  and what do you usually put in there.  Thanks in advance.

Spent my 3 hour ride this morning on the trainer watching the Spinervals IM-Madison DVD.  Can't wait to get outside on the bike - Hopefully in a week or two, but I love running in the cold.

Todd

2013-04-20 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4708151

User image

Pro
trei - 2013-04-20 9:14 AM

no hurry on this, but could someone kind of go over the special needs bag in an ironman.  How does it work, how many are there,  and what do you usually put in there.  Thanks in advance.

Spent my 3 hour ride this morning on the trainer watching the Spinervals IM-Madison DVD.  Can't wait to get outside on the bike - Hopefully in a week or two, but I love running in the cold.

Todd

Todd, just about to head out for a run but I'd be glad to outline the bag process for IM when I get back....as well as things that go in each...although the special needs bags can be quite an individual thing.

2013-04-21 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4708151

User image

Pro
trei - 2013-04-20 9:14 AM

Todd

I'll go over bike and run gear bags in addition to special needs for those who haven't done an IM.  At check-in you will get all of your bags that are usually color coded for each of the different purposes.  You will be given a sheet of decals with your race number that you have to affix to all of the bags.  Here are all the bags you will be given: morning clothes bag, bike gear bag, run gear bag, bike special needs, and run special needs.

The bike and run gear bags are dropped off the day BEFORE the race.  Each race is different as to how they set up transition areas, bag drop-off, etc and will be outlined in the athlete guide published about a month before the race.  There will be separate areas to drop off your bike and gear bags.  Even though you have to drop off these 2 bags the day before the race you will be allowed last-minute access prior to race start the next morning to put in anything you may have forgotten or to put in bottles on your fuel belt for the run.  I prefer to put run bottles in the bag in the morning versus day before.  When you drop off these bags you will find the location based on signs for ranges of bib numbers.  Find your location for your bags and then note the general location of the bag in relation to the entire transition area.  This will help you orient yourself in the morning, so note which row number and how far up the row your bag is located. 

Its handy to have a small headlamp to have for the morning when you are checking your bike, putting water bottles on, checking bike computer, checking tire pressure, etc.  Having one of those small headlamps provides light in the darkness of the pre-race and keeps you hands free.

Morning clothes bag - place all the items you will need at the finish line (dry clothes, keys, etc).  This bag is dropped off near the start line or near transition (depending on race) at designated spots/boxes/barrels based on your bib number. 

Bike gear bag - this bag holds everything you will need for the bike leg.  Don't include anything that won't be absolutely needed, such as a pump.  The obvious things are helmet, bike shoes, sunglasses, race number belt with bib number attached, whatever clothes you will need to put on dependent on weather, any food you want to eat before jumping on the bike.  Most (if not all) IM races do not allow you to clip your shoes on your bike prior to the race.

Run gear bag - this bag holds everything you will need for the run leg.  Obvious things are running shoes, socks (I put mine in a ziplock bag to keep them dry), hat or visor, fuel belt or hydration belt if you use one, any clothes you will need to put on dependent on weather, any food you want to eat before you start the run.  I usually put in an extra race number belt with bib attached as a backup in case the one you put on for the bike gets damaged or water-logged in the rain during the bike (not all bibs are waterproof).  My bib number got totally destroyed on the bike at my first IM at IM WI....torrential rains and wind all day and the bib they provided didn't hold up very well.  I think most races have durable bib numbers now.

You can also include sunscreen in both of the above bags but there are usually designated areas in transition where volunteers are located to put sunscreen on you.

On race morning you will drop off your special needs bike and run bags at designated areas based on bib number.  Each race is different and where the bags are located for the race is also different.  Some races have these bags located near the transition area if they bike and run courses loop back towards transition.  Other races will haul off the bike and run bags and have them located near the halfway point of the bike and run legs.  As you approach these areas spotters will ask for or notice your bib number so they can yell it down the line and have volunteers get your bag ready as you approach.

The content of the bike and run special needs bags are highly individual based on the racer.  I will jot down what I put in mine but you may want other things.  One thing to keep in mind for the contents of these bags is that you shouldn't put anything in them that you don't mind losing forever.  Some races will not bring the bags back to the finish where you can pick them up so don't count on it.  However, I've had good luck with getting these bags back at all races that I've done.

Bike special needs - I put in a spare CO2 cartridge, spare tubular, a lightweight rain jacket and whatever energy product I want.  In some races I have actually put full bottles of energy drink in the bag if the race offers a drink something other than what I want, but I would recommend using and training with what the race offers.

Run special needs - extra pair of socks (in ziplock), whatever body lube you use for chaffing, whatever clothes you might want to put on for the second half of run dependent on weather especially if you expect it to cool off in the dark, whatever energy products you want to have available. 

A volunteer will assist you at the finish to get your medal, tee shirt, photo, and to where the morning clothes bags are located.  I'm sure I've forgotten something but I think that covers it.

One thing I've also done is create an excel spreadsheet for Ironman race equipment.  I create one sheet in the file for a packing checklist to help me remember everything when packing at home.  I then create another sheet that is divided up into different sections with headings for each of the bags outlined above and list under each heading what will go into each bag.  This file can be saved and used for future races as well.  Another tool that BT provides for doing this is located on your personal blog area on the right hand side.  There is a button labeled "RACE CHECKLIST" that you can click to create your own gear checklist.

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-04-21 11:04 AM
2013-04-22 10:23 AM

User image

New user

Montgomery County

Hey Jim! I see this group reopened and I would love to be a part of it!! I am newbie and need some guidance Laughing

NAME: Colleen 

STORY:  I am a 21 year old student at the University of Maryland and I am interested in doing my first sprint! So I was a ridiculously bad swimmer growing up, and I was forced into an "Advanced" swimming class this semester. Although most of the class was filled up with people from the swim team and were amazing swimmers, I worked hard to get better. I am still not very good at swimming, but in just a few weeks I dropped a minute on my 500 time. My goal is to get better at endurance training, as I am currently better at anaerobic activities. Today I am going to start the 20-week program to be ready for my sprint in September.

FAMILY STATUS: Single 

CURRENT TRAINING: The sprint triathlon I am signed up for (or about to be signed up for) in September has a 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike, and a 5k.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: The race I am doing is the Dewey Beach  Triathlon.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I would like to be more lean, but I am not too worried about weight loss.

2013-04-22 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4709833

User image

Pro
collyd123 - 2013-04-22 10:23 AM

Hey Jim! I see this group reopened and I would love to be a part of it!! I am newbie and need some guidance Laughing

NAME: Colleen 

STORY:  I am a 21 year old student at the University of Maryland and I am interested in doing my first sprint! So I was a ridiculously bad swimmer growing up, and I was forced into an "Advanced" swimming class this semester. Although most of the class was filled up with people from the swim team and were amazing swimmers, I worked hard to get better. I am still not very good at swimming, but in just a few weeks I dropped a minute on my 500 time. My goal is to get better at endurance training, as I am currently better at anaerobic activities. Today I am going to start the 20-week program to be ready for my sprint in September.

FAMILY STATUS: Single 

CURRENT TRAINING: The sprint triathlon I am signed up for (or about to be signed up for) in September has a 1/2 mile swim, 15 mile bike, and a 5k.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: The race I am doing is the Dewey Beach  Triathlon.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I would like to be more lean, but I am not too worried about weight loss.

Hi Colleen.  Welcome to the group.  I lived in Columbia, MD for 8 years so know the area.  Look forward to helping you prepare for your race.

2013-04-22 12:25 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Jim - great write up on the bags at IM.  If I ever get to that distance I'm going to keep this page linked.
2013-04-22 3:32 PM

New user

NAME: Hal

STORY: I'm a 46 year old attorney, always been athletic but not a small person.  I'm 6 ft 230 and maintain a painful face when exercising.  I come from a long line of prolific sweaters.  I live in Auburn, Alabama and love the heat.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 18 yrs, two daughters 14 & 8

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm focused on getting ready from my first sprint at Calloway Gardens in June.  The course sounds like one of the more easy ones around.  I need to bike more, run more and swim more.  Right now I would have to say my form sucks on each of the three.  My bike is my strong point, followed not too closely by running with swimming being last.  On the swim I dont sink but I dont glide through the water either.  I really need some help with my swim form and have considered some private lessons.

2013 RACES: Registered for Calloway Sprint, we will see how that goes.

Possibly others later in the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Right now I am 230 and want to be down around 200-210.  I am just going to eat the right foods and let the exercise gods determine how much weight I lose in this process.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I train hard and have a good sense of humor.  I listen very well and always have lots of questions.  I am very much looking forward to learning about this sport from you guys who have already been down the road that I have recently turned down.  

2013-04-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4710434

User image

Pro
hwalker67 - 2013-04-22 3:32 PM

NAME: Hal

STORY: I'm a 46 year old attorney, always been athletic but not a small person.  I'm 6 ft 230 and maintain a painful face when exercising.  I come from a long line of prolific sweaters.  I live in Auburn, Alabama and love the heat.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 18 yrs, two daughters 14 & 8

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I'm focused on getting ready from my first sprint at Calloway Gardens in June.  The course sounds like one of the more easy ones around.  I need to bike more, run more and swim more.  Right now I would have to say my form sucks on each of the three.  My bike is my strong point, followed not too closely by running with swimming being last.  On the swim I dont sink but I dont glide through the water either.  I really need some help with my swim form and have considered some private lessons.

2013 RACES: Registered for Calloway Sprint, we will see how that goes.

Possibly others later in the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: Right now I am 230 and want to be down around 200-210.  I am just going to eat the right foods and let the exercise gods determine how much weight I lose in this process.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I train hard and have a good sense of humor.  I listen very well and always have lots of questions.  I am very much looking forward to learning about this sport from you guys who have already been down the road that I have recently turned down.  

Welcome to the group Hal.  When I first went to grad school in Missouri, after having lived in the northeast my whole life, another grad student from Auburn Univ arrived at the same time.  Nothing personal....but it literally took me a week to understand half of what he was saying....and I'm sure it was the same for him.  Start asking those questions!

2013-04-25 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4710722

User image

Jim, thanks for the awesome write up on the bags used during the ironman.  It will really help.  I'll start making the spreadsheets as I go to my earlier triathlons. 

I have another question about swim technique (don't know if Scott is still checking in from time to time, but anyone can answer):

I have been entering my hand to start my pull at about the top of my ear (this was from total immersion video) and then reaching under the water to length before beginning my pull, but the local swim team coach saw me swimming and said I should be reaching as far ahead as I can above the water before entering to start the pull (because by entering the water earlier I am pushing back before the pull begins and slowing myself down.

The swim coach advice seems sound to me.  I tried it and found it hard to stay in "balance" first (my legs seemed to drop a bit), but it did get better the second day around, so it may just take some getting used to. 

Any input on either method?

Hope I'm not bothering people with the questions, but I guess thats why we're here.

Thanks, Todd

2013-04-25 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4714988

User image

Pro
trei - 2013-04-25 1:03 PM

Jim, thanks for the awesome write up on the bags used during the ironman.  It will really help.  I'll start making the spreadsheets as I go to my earlier triathlons. 

I have another question about swim technique (don't know if Scott is still checking in from time to time, but anyone can answer):

I have been entering my hand to start my pull at about the top of my ear (this was from total immersion video) and then reaching under the water to length before beginning my pull, but the local swim team coach saw me swimming and said I should be reaching as far ahead as I can above the water before entering to start the pull (because by entering the water earlier I am pushing back before the pull begins and slowing myself down.

The swim coach advice seems sound to me.  I tried it and found it hard to stay in "balance" first (my legs seemed to drop a bit), but it did get better the second day around, so it may just take some getting used to. 

Any input on either method?

Hope I'm not bothering people with the questions, but I guess thats why we're here.

Thanks, Todd

Not bothering at all....like you said, that's why we're here.  Hopefully Scott will give his input, but I know my hand is entering well ahead of my ear....not slapping on the water but definitely well ahead of my entire head to the extent that there isn't nearly as much "reaching" underwater as your first method would suggest.

2013-04-26 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
What are the big plans for the weekend folks?  I'll be tackling (or vice versa) the Get in Gear half marathon in Minneapolis on Saturday.   Spring has finally arrived here.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25