BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-12-20 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: January

GROUP FOCUS: Xterra, sprint & Olympic distance

NAME: tzcoaching / Tony Zamora

STORY: Been doing triathlon since I was a teenager, 14 years ago!  Adapted the lifestyle at a young age and never looked back!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 "kids"; a black lab & golden retriever 

CURRENT TRAINING: Train consistently year round focusing on Xterra races. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Raced & won the mid-west series in Xterra (age 30-34) and raced at Xterra Nationals. 

2013 RACES:  Going to do less xterra races, with a focus of qualifying for Xterra Maui! 

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost about 50 lbs several years ago during tri's.  But really focused on getting enough healthy calories in to keep on training. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been racing the better part of my life and have seen and experienced quite a bit.  Taking this experience I started coaching a few years ago informally by helping out a group of beginner female triathletes.  I enjoyed watching them success so much, I wanted to continue to do so so became a licensed (USA Cycling now, going for USA Triathlon next year) coach! Want to bring that experience and knowledge and share it with the BT community. 

2013-01-02 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

Hi All!  Group's officially open!  Open to all, but focus on Xterra, spring, Oly.  If your a 1/2 or full IM your welcome too!  

2013-01-03 10:03 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

I'm in a carry over group already.  But since you're my coach and I'm also doing some sprints, oly's and xterra's along with HIM's I'd love to join your group too if it's ok?

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Last week!

FOCUS: HIM

NAME: Meulen / Brian

STORY: I've been doing tri's for about 5 years now.  Although, technically, my first year was only one indoor tri and the second was mainly mtb racing.  After that I dove in!  Really got into road tri's.  I still ride the MTB and do some trail running for fun. This year I'll get back to some Xterra too!  It will also be my first year as a coached athlete.  I've been working with TZCoaching for a few months now after the season ended last year.  I'm really looking forward to racing this year!  Although, I will have some challenges dealing with my Plantar Fasciitis and ongoing sinus issues that curbs a lot of my swim training.  But I've still been making good progress lately, and am working on hard on what I can work on!  Hoping to overcome and set some PR's next season and maybe qualify for some bigger races!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 3 "kids"; 2 black lab mixes & a cat!  All rescues.  We love animals in our house! 

CURRENT TRAINING: Train consistently year round focusing HIM. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Raced 2012 Racine 70.3 to a bit dissapointing results but still at least MOP,  Took 10th in my AG at the Palos Half Marathon, and 5th in AG at the Naperville Sprint triathlon and qualified for USAT nationals there. 

2013 RACES:  Going to do two 70.3's, Kansans and Muncie, focussing on a futal attempt to qualify for LV.  Also racing the Palos half marathon, Xterra ft Custer, and possibly another Xterra and or an Oly in prep for the 70.3's.  I'll top off the season with USAT nationals in Milwaukee and the Naperville Sprint tri.

WEIGHTLOSS: Lost about 50 lbs in my early years of during mtb racing and tri's.  Have put a few back on in the last year.  Looking to get down to a new low and find an ideal racing weight for me.  TZCoaching is guiding me through the MET diet starting Jan 1.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I've been around racing/training a while now and love to share my experiences.  I also love to hear others experiences and continue to learn and find better ways to trian/race/and achieve goals. 

Edited by Meulen 2013-01-03 10:04 AM
2013-01-03 11:46 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
Hi there!

my name is Kyle I would like to join this group as it is in line with the races I want to train for!

I did my first tri last summer, it was a 500m swim, 15km bike and 5km run! poured rain and was awesome!

I have been away from the site for a while, been really focused on strength training!

I have not picked any races yet, but would like to do at least one sprint and one Olympic. And have been looking into the xtrera series as well, but am unsure of how technical the trails can be for biking!

I would like to be on a structured training plan, but I work 14.5 hour days and some days it's just not possible! but I aim to do my best!

So Tony can you be my mentor?
2013-01-04 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Hey Kyle!  Welcome to the group.  Brian, your not welcome, I have to hear enough from you outside of here... )  

Kyle, the Xterra's are FUN!  Brian has done them before, and I'm sure he can share his experience but the trails aren't too technical at all.  

2013-01-05 12:00 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
awesome! I am looking to really step up my game this year. I took up tri on a bit of a whim last summer as a challenge to get my fitness back. So I am thinking I am going to shoot for a oly as my end race and do some sprints as a train up to the distance.

2013-01-05 12:08 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
I was looking at my local tri association for races and these what I was kind of thinking!

may 11 sprint Dayton valley 

June 16 sprint lake summerside

July 20 sprint athletes in action

August 11 sprint st. Albert road runners

August 18 oly Alberta challenge

I know I can be ready for the may 11 I trained for my first race in less time and was in far worse shape! (265 and I mean couldn't run 1/4 mile out of shape)

but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, if I worked a normal job I have no doubt I could do it!

but I don't, I work long shift work 14-14.5 hrs a day for anywhere to 2 weeks on 1 week off to 24 day stretches!

I am by no means trying to complain or make excuses! Just letting you know where I am at where I want to get I guess
2013-01-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4563112

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Thats a lot of hours working! But dont let that stop you.  W all have to work around life, just focus on quality over quantity.  You can use your off weeks from work to build some volume in.
2013-01-05 8:59 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
If I'm not welcome maybe I won't comment! ??

Kyle

Xterras are fun! IMO courses are a bit less technical than normal XC racing. It's not like you see on tv with the red bull challenge for sure. Even though they are sprint distance though I would equate them more in the Oly category. They aren't quite as long but close. The terrain adds some extra challenge and will definitely slow you down more than the road. I mean, 10 miles in the bike trails at a 10mph effort can't easily compare to 20 miles at 20mph on the road.
2013-01-05 9:12 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
yeah that's sorta the plan, try to do as much as possible after work with out exhausting my self.

And really bring it on my off weeks!
Put in 3.19 miles in 40 mins last night!
2013-01-05 9:27 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
The Canadian xttera nationals is in september, they are hosting a sprint on a non techincal course! so I think I will add that to my list.

I got a lot of work to do!

2013-01-05 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning. I'm actually part of the KBurns mentor group (for two years now) and saw this Xterra Group. I'd like to keep up to date on this group if its ok. I had an off year last year due to 2 surgeries (shoulder and peroneal nerve decompression) due to a not at fault car accident in Sept 2011. In the spring I race a local XC MTB series, and then Tri's the rest of the year. I really want to get in an Xterra this year. I'll post my bio shortly.
2013-01-05 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4563489

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Welcome to the group Rizer!
2013-01-05 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
Name: Jeff (rizer22)
Story: I started with XC mountain bike racing in late 2010. Pretty much chatted with a father at my kids birthday party in June 2010. He raced mountain bikes. Somehow, I was convinced that had to be easy. 2 days later I bought a mountain bike, and entered my first race 3 weeks after that thinking 3 weeks of riding the bike was plenty of training. Needless to say, it was an eye opener and got my a$$ handed to me. But, the natural high of finishing that first race, made me addicted to endurance sports. Bought a road bike in Feb 2011, for the sole purpose of building endurance for mountain bike racing. That led to me loving the road bike, and then seeing an advertisement for a Sprint Tri in my home town. I couldn't turn down a challenge, so started training for that. 2011 was a great year and built a great base. I had plans for Rev 3 Quassy half iron in June 2012. Those plans got sidelined after I was involved in a car accident in Sept 2011. Although i participated in a couple mountain bike races, and a 5k, 2012 was pretty much non existent. Shoulder Surgery and most recent peroneal nerve decompression surgery in the left knee, have all but sidelined me. I am determined to make 2013 my year.

Current Training: I feel as if I'm almost starting fresh. I only had about 2,400 cycling miles in 2012, 25-30% being mountain bike/trails. 4-6 more weeks for the nerve to heal in my knee, then am clear to get back on track. I am cleared to get back in the pool next week. So mid to late January, I start an Olympic Plan on BT, followed by HIM plan on BT as well

2012 Races: a few Route 66 XC MTB races, 5k, one small, local Sprint Tri.

Planned 2013 Races: Route 66 XC Mountain bike Races (3), King of Burlingame MTB TT, Ten Penny Ale Glastonbury Duathlon (May) REV 3 Quassy Olympic Tri (June), Timberman 70.3 in August is the plan for now. Possibly another Olympic and def a Sprint.

Weightloss: I typically don't struggle here too much. I'm 5' 9". Race weight for me, where I felt my best was about 155. Today, I'm at 160. Weight is still fine for that height, but I feel like sh*t. I can't wait to get back in the best shape of my life, like 2011.

I'm excited to be back for 2013.

Edited by rizer22 2013-01-05 12:12 PM
2013-01-05 3:31 PM

Tirana

Hi, I am Steven, 46Y, I'd like to join your group as my first try at Tri will be the Xterra Greece 15th of june. the next 2 month I want to focus on getting the volumes in and adapting to consistently training. saturdays for the long bike sessions, sundays the long runs and during the week 6AM sessions before work, in the fitness center, swimming, treadmill, spinning and weights.

current data; weight 69kg, in race form should be dropping to ca.63kg, in "tourist "mode I can complete all distances.

Edited by samwear 2013-01-05 3:43 PM
2013-01-05 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Hi there! I'm already in another mentor group (and actually one more in the archives too...) so I wouldn't want to take up anyone's spot, but I was wondering if I could pop my head in here from time to time? I'm quite intrigued by the xterra focus, as I am very much considering my first xterra this spring/summer! I haven't committed myself yet though, which is why I think it would be great to keep up with this group! ...to keep up the excitement and such. That and reading more about xterras makes feel a bit intimidated so I think I could stand to hear a little more about them! -Samantha

2013-01-05 11:39 PM

Hi Tony,

My name is Gordon VanderMeulen. I'm the almost 65 year old father of Brian, who along with his wife, Ann have inspired me to begin training for my first Triathelon. The goal is for me to run the Naperville Sprint Tri in August. I'm new to this type of training. I have weight trained and done some bikeing for years, but until last May I never ran as far a city block in my life. Brian wisely instructed me to use the couch to 5K program and by June, I was running 5K's 3 times a week with no ill effects on these old joints and bones. Initially lost 30 pounds in the process and now weigh about 175 lbs. I'm almost up to the point of running 10K and if all goes well, I might try to run a 1/2 marathon with Brian in Mayin Palos Heights. I've been running 3 days a week, biking 2 days , and swimming 3 days. I'm by far the weakest at swimming and am working with the Swim Smooth program to get me to where I can get through that part of the Tri. I'm not quite as dedicated at this as Brian because I'm still involved in my main hobby, the Shooting Sports, but I've come pretty far allready and I've made up my mind to do this. I hope you will accept me in your group. I'm looking forward to meeting you

2013-01-06 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome Tony. I think it's great your on the right path to health and being addicted to Tri. Watch, after you complete your first, you'll be addicted like the rest of us. As for the swim, I think even some of the best still get nervous on the swim sometimes. I don't have a ton of experience here, but I can tell you to get some open water swimming in before your Tri in August. It's completely different than swimming in a pool. Best of luck to you.
2013-01-06 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
1 hr 35 min ZR trainer ride this morning. Still keeping the pace and HR low to make sure this nerve heals properly. Followed up with 3 egg omelet loaded with green pepper, cauliflower, mushrooms, , 1/2 avocado, spinach and a little salsa. Mmmmmm.

What do the rest of you have planned for today?
2013-01-06 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Nice work Jeff!

I just took the wife to breakfast. She's got to work so I'm going to squeeze in 3 hours on the trainer with some hill intervals while she's working.
2013-01-06 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4563827

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Hey Samantha! 

Welcome to the group!  I see your in Michigan, they have a couple great Xterra's out there!  They aren't as intimidating as you'd thing; there actually really fun!  Relaxing environment, everyone is super friendly and they aren't as adrenaline filled as your typical tri's.  Give one a try!  We'll be out there probably at Fort Custer, so stop by and try it! 

2013-01-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: #4564216

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hey Gordon, welcome to the group!  Glad to hear Brian & Ann got are influencing you with the bug.  It's a good one to have! 
2013-01-06 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4564523

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Good work Jeff!  My plan for today, once I recover from the wine drinking with Brian last night I plan on getting on the trainer for a couple of hours.  Already tore up a 5 egg omelet, so with you on that one!
2013-01-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4564561

User image

Expert
MI
tzcoaching - 2013-01-06 12:24 PM

Hey Samantha! 

Welcome to the group!  I see your in Michigan, they have a couple great Xterra's out there!  They aren't as intimidating as you'd thing; there actually really fun!  Relaxing environment, everyone is super friendly and they aren't as adrenaline filled as your typical tri's.  Give one a try!  We'll be out there probably at Fort Custer, so stop by and try it! 

Thanks Tony!  I actually was looking into Fort Custer, I think that would be a neat one to do, but I have another (regular) triathlon in mind I'd like to do the week after, and I have no idea what my recovery would be like from an xterra!  (I dunno, I feel like I'll be using extra muscles I'm not used to using??)  If it were the weekend AFTER the regular triathlon, I wouldn't mind so much!

So, I'm looking at doing the Torn Shirt one.  Have you (or anyone else) done that one?

2013-01-06 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4564600

User image

Expert
MI

So as I mentioned, I am hoping to pop my head in here from time to time to learn more about xterras!  

Now for a little bio.  I'll be entering my third season of triathlons.  I learned about triathlon through watching the Ironman world champs on NBC (very original, I know). That was in high school, at which time I did an indoor triathlon and that was it.  Finally many years later I did my first outdoor tri which was in 2010.  That year I did 4 sprints which culminated with an HIM which I had been training all summer for.  Sadly, little did I know, I had an injury waiting to happen the whole summer, and it blew up during my HIM.  That left me with an assortment of hip issues, and I basically took the following tri season off.  I tried to get back into things slowly last year and did 3 sprints.  I managed to not run into many major problems all last year, but now, it seems that now something has cropped up! Undecided So I'm continuing to manage it, and it is really just about making sure it doesn't get to a horrid stage.

My mind keeps changing about specific races I want to do this year, but I will be sticking with sprints... although the xterra torn shirt I'm looking at I would count slightly longer than a sprint! (regular swim with 18 mile bike and 6 mi run).  At this time I am also thinking of having a run focus (fall running race) and leaving my July/August open without races...... but, that could change!  We'll see!

Samantha

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16