BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-04-05 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4684504

New user

Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN
Blanda, thks for advice. There is a riding group at the cycle shop where I get my bike tuned up, I will join them and see what I can learn. I hope to really start working on my running after hockey is over this weekend, build up endurance and distance. My thought was to minimize my swimming workouts because I'm fairly strong there and concentrate on the running and biking for awhile, is that advisable

2013-04-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4687859

The Chupacabra - 2013-04-05 8:49 AM

Thebodybuilder - 2013-04-04 5:06 PM Swimming makes me negative... Logged .63 miles today.... It took 45 minutes :-( Being a crazy person I decided I needed to find out what I could different and found this:
Swim a mile in 6 weeks.

WEEK one (Three Days):
4 x 100 yards (or meters)...rest for 12 breaths between 100s
4 x 50 yards...rest for 8 breaths between 50s
4 x 25 yards...rest for 4 breaths between 25s
total: 700 yards
(Your pool is 50 meters? Just add 2 50s instead of the 25s)

Y do I feel this is beyond my capabilities?

That looks like Ruth Kazez's 0-1650 in 6 weeks program. If it is, I can say it worked for me. I started after flailing around in the pool for about 5 weeks. I felt like it was beyond my ability as well, but you just have to stick to what she says. I focused on slowing my breathing during those breaks. I might pick up some of those later sessions in that plan to build up my endurance again. I think she has another plan that's a little more beginner than that one too (just looked it up...it's that same workout but with fewer reps). I thought this workout would be beyond me, but when I got to the pool and started, I found I was more capable than I thought.

Also...I'd recommend reading as many swimming technique articles as possible and watching some videos online. Swimsmooth.com is great for this. If you search Total Immersion on YouTube you get tons of great videos as well. I also still pull up 1500m elite level races to watch. I focus on the swimmers form and look for something new. When I first started this, I didn't understand a lot and a lot of the swimmers looked the same. After awhiel though, you start to see the differences.

I haven't become a great swimmer (I'm trying...it's my new focus after the May marathon!), but I can average less than 2:00/100 (barely...).

You can do it! Keep at it!

Ok... perhaps its just the idea of the water that freaks me out because I got to the pool this morning and I was able to do Ruth Kazez's 0-1650 in 6 weeks program Day 1 without much of a problem.   Surprised myself too as I did an extra 100 (2x 50sEmbarassed

I will stick to this program for now and make sure that I get a minimum of 3 swim sessions per week until I am comfortable swimming a mile non-stop.

2013-04-05 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4688052

Robpest - 2013-04-05 10:35 AM Hey bodybuilder I live on vancouver island just north of Seattle, we've been cutting lawn for 4 wks already, I think we had maybe 3 days of snow sticking around this winter, we are Canada's best kept secret, don't tell anyone. We like our privacy even though most of us come from other parts of cold Canada. Best of luck to you in the east, spring is coming, I will send you some nice weather, keep up the training. Rob

Thanks Rob.   We can sure use it (woke up to -6.7*C) but hoping to get some good road time as temps may reach a whopping 10*C.  It will be nice to get a break.  

Regards,

Frank (because thebodybuilder sounds so formal)

2013-04-07 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Hi everyone!  How did everyone's weekend go?  We finally saw some sunlight here in Chicago so was finally able to get on some much needed singletrack!  
2013-04-07 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Tony - Glad you were able to get out to the trails! I'm still waiting for my chance. I miss it!

I ended up straying from my original plan of running my 8k Race then just tacking on 15 miles for my long run today. There were a few variable for the race I wasn't planning on, so I just did my 20 miles nice and slow on Saturday so that I'd have something left for Sunday. I didn't really care much for the 8k, so I didn't have high hopes. Ended up turning out a decent 31:14 official for an average pace of 6:17. Not too bad. Didn't feel too bad after the race. After I got home, ate, and napped for a bit, I feel a little more beat up. Easy day tomorrow. 

- Joel

2013-04-07 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Also just figured out I PRed my 5k in this race too. Came through it at 19:42. Beat the 19:49 from November. Neat bonus.

- Joel

2013-04-09 1:30 AM
in reply to: #4690361

User image

Master
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-07 9:10 PM

Also just figured out I PRed my 5k in this race too. Came through it at 19:42. Beat the 19:49 from November. Neat bonus.

- Joel

That's fast 5k! Awesome job!

This past weekend I got in a 1500m swim and most of the Xterra Bike Loop in for training. Good day. Monday I had 1200m of 100m sprints, and today I had hills with the MTB. I'm enjoying having an actual training plan. Check calendar, and just do it.

Had my 1st flat on the bike and learned how to change it out watching youtube. That that was pretty cool.

Happy training!

2013-04-10 7:18 AM

User image

Master
So far, this week's Xterra Maui training has been 1200m of 100m sprints on Monday, hills on the MTB Tuesday, and today was supposed to be a 12-1500m swim and an easy 4 mile run. I ended up sick at lunch, my swim training time, and skipped out on my swim. I did get a soccer game in and the 4 mile run this afternoon after a nap and some Pepto Bismol.

Tomorrow I'm making up my swim, then it's an hour spin at the gym with a 3 mile transition run after.

Hope you're all getting some decent training in! Have a great day.
2013-04-10 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4694325

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Blanda - 2013-04-10 7:18 AM So far, this week's Xterra Maui training has been 1200m of 100m sprints on Monday, hills on the MTB Tuesday, and today was supposed to be a 12-1500m swim and an easy 4 mile run. I ended up sick at lunch, my swim training time, and skipped out on my swim. I did get a soccer game in and the 4 mile run this afternoon after a nap and some Pepto Bismol.

Tomorrow I'm making up my swim, then it's an hour spin at the gym with a 3 mile transition run after.

Too bad about getting sick! You still have time until Maui, so no huge deal.

I'm in my last big week of marathon training. Llllooonnnnggg run on Saturday (22 miles) then starts the long taper. I'm nervous about this long taper. I have never taperd much for races in the past, but it seems like it's more common for longer races, which I'm fairly new to. I decided to follow the advice of the experts and am going with it. I'll get 55-60 miles this week, then next week I'm down to 40, then 26 or so. Wow...getting close.

Edited by The Chupacabra 2013-04-10 3:26 PM
2013-04-11 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4694325

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Blanda - 2013-04-10 7:18 AM So far, this week's Xterra Maui training has been 1200m of 100m sprints on Monday, hills on the MTB Tuesday, and today was supposed to be a 12-1500m swim and an easy 4 mile run. I ended up sick at lunch, my swim training time, and skipped out on my swim. I did get a soccer game in and the 4 mile run this afternoon after a nap and some Pepto Bismol.

Hope your feeling better Blanda!  Sucks getting sick, but you have plenty of time before your big race so you should be good to go!

2013-04-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4695135

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-10 2:17 PM

Too bad about getting sick! You still have time until Maui, so no huge deal.

I'm in my last big week of marathon training. Llllooonnnnggg run on Saturday (22 miles) then starts the long taper. I'm nervous about this long taper. I have never taperd much for races in the past, but it seems like it's more common for longer races, which I'm fairly new to. I decided to follow the advice of the experts and am going with it. I'll get 55-60 miles this week, then next week I'm down to 40, then 26 or so. Wow...getting close.

Thanks a long run!  Have fun with that.  Don't worry about the taper, it's good for you!  You'll feel tired and question the shorter days, but come race day it will all be worth it!

2013-04-11 12:41 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Hope you feel better Blanda!

Nice going Chup!  you'll do great, just trust the plan!!!

I went down to Brown County IN last weekend and had a great day on the MTB.  However, I ate some bad fish at a restaurant the night before.  So I started to suffer out there.  I came down with full blown, no pun intended!, food poisoning by the time I got home.  Spent a few days in or near a bathroom, and had to go to the doctor.  He got me on meds, but I'm still not feeling all that great.  Haven't done anything since Saturday and California is in 9 days!

2013-04-11 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4696499

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Meulen - 2013-04-11 12:41 PM

I went down to Brown County IN last weekend and had a great day on the MTB.  However, I ate some bad fish at a restaurant the night before.  So I started to suffer out there.  I came down with full blown, no pun intended!, food poisoning by the time I got home.  Spent a few days in or near a bathroom, and had to go to the doctor.  He got me on meds, but I'm still not feeling all that great.  Haven't done anything since Saturday and California is in 9 days!

Lesson learned, don't eat fish in Indiana!  Or anywhere else where you can't see the fish being pulled out of the water... can't wait for Cali! 

2013-04-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4696518

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
tzcoaching - 2013-04-11 12:48 PM

Lesson learned, don't eat fish in Indiana!  Or anywhere else where you can't see the fish being pulled out of the water... can't wait for Cali! 

LOL, It was a fancy restaurant in Naperville! 

2013-04-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4696530

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Oh ok, Naperville, the fresh water capital of IL... 

I got food poisoning from Sushi out there too! 

2013-04-11 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4696534

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
tzcoaching - 2013-04-11 12:51 PM

Oh ok, Naperville, the fresh water capital of IL... 

I got food poisoning from Sushi out there too! 

Well that's sushi!  you can get sick from sushi anywhere..............that's what you get, IT'S RAW!!!!!! LOL Tongue out

2013-04-11 4:39 PM
in reply to: #4696499

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

I've heard good things about Brown County trails, but have never been. Is it worth the trip?

Last summer I made the trip to Chequamegon Nat'l Forest in Northern Wisconsin and had a blast up there. Ever been up there?

2013-04-12 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4696946

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-11 4:39 PM

I've heard good things about Brown County trails, but have never been. Is it worth the trip?

Last summer I made the trip to Chequamegon Nat'l Forest in Northern Wisconsin and had a blast up there. Ever been up there?

Trails are GREAT out in Brown County.  Definitely worth the trip!  Never been to Chequamegon.  I've done some other places in WI though.  I raced some of the WORS series about 5-6 years ago now.  I've also gone up to Kettle Morraine, which IMO is a little overated. 

2013-04-15 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4697594

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Meulen - 2013-04-12 8:46 AM
The Chupacabra - 2013-04-11 4:39 PM

Trails are GREAT out in Brown County.  Definitely worth the trip!  Never been to Chequamegon.  I've done some other places in WI though.  I raced some of the WORS series about 5-6 years ago now.  I've also gone up to Kettle Morraine, which IMO is a little overated. 

Cool. I'll have to plan a trip down to Brown. Kettle Morraine is where I usually get my mtb rides in. I like it. It's the same distance (driving time) from me as Palos and I prefer KM to Palos. It could just be that I never got to know the web system at Palos well enough. 

Ended up with a 21 mile long run this weekend. It actually went pretty well. I was able to pick up the pace at the end to see how uncomfortable it was. It wasn't any more uncomfortable than my long run pace (7:45-8:00). Keeps me encouraged. Ended up with 55 running miles last week. I'm down to around 45-50 this week, then next week is the big drop. 

Happy training everyone!

2013-04-18 10:52 AM

New user

Rob the Canadian here, I'm the older newbie to all of this and must say that as I read your blogs it is great encouragement, with a bit of discouragement, in that I can,t imagine being able to do a 21 mile run. I bow down to all of you, we'll done. I'm trying to make sure that I pace myself properly and don't feel I have to catch up to you all right away, even though I'm trying. My problem is trying not to do everything at once, because I can swim quite easily I end up doing usually 1.5km in the pool, for me that is like a warm up, then go up to the gym ride the bike for 10-20min , do some stretches then jump on the treadmill for 3-4 miles. I'm happy right now that I can actually do this, as 2 mths ago that would not be the case, so getting stronger. I usually pay the price the next day being fatigued. But can get back to the gym with a lighter workout. I'm at least trying to run most days as that is my weak spot. I will take my road bike out on weekends for a longer ride. Because of work, family life etc, I feel that it is hard to get all the disciplines in so I jam them into one day when I feel great. I realize I should maybe focus just on one discipline ie. swim hard one day, bike hard another etc, but because of time how to fit everything in?????????? Should I get up early in the morning, run or bike, then do another part after work at night? Appreciate the advice and thanks to all of you for raising the bar for me. It's encouraging to read your blogs If anyone one of you wants to come to vancouver island in Canada, ranked as one of the top 10 places in the world to live, we have a nice acreage with a guest suite for anyone to use. Some fantastic tri-s coming up this spring and summer
2013-04-18 11:02 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Hey Rob!  a good book for you is The Time Crunched Triathlete

I'm a couple days away from meeting Tony out in Callifornia.  The first race of the year will be an MTB race at the Sea Otter.  Got my bib number over email last night.  Had to ease back into the week after that nasty bout with food poisoning last week!  READY TO GO!

2013-04-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4705483

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Robpest - 2013-04-18 10:52 AM Rob the Canadian here, I'm the older newbie to all of this and must say that as I read your blogs it is great encouragement, with a bit of discouragement, in that I can,t imagine being able to do a 21 mile run. I bow down to all of you, we'll done. I'm trying to make sure that I pace myself properly and don't feel I have to catch up to you all right away, even though I'm trying. My problem is trying not to do everything at once, because I can swim quite easily I end up doing usually 1.5km in the pool, for me that is like a warm up, then go up to the gym ride the bike for 10-20min , do some stretches then jump on the treadmill for 3-4 miles. I'm happy right now that I can actually do this, as 2 mths ago that would not be the case, so getting stronger. I usually pay the price the next day being fatigued. But can get back to the gym with a lighter workout. I'm at least trying to run most days as that is my weak spot. I will take my road bike out on weekends for a longer ride. Because of work, family life etc, I feel that it is hard to get all the disciplines in so I jam them into one day when I feel great. I realize I should maybe focus just on one discipline ie. swim hard one day, bike hard another etc, but because of time how to fit everything in?????????? Should I get up early in the morning, run or bike, then do another part after work at night? Appreciate the advice and thanks to all of you for raising the bar for me. It's encouraging to read your blogs If anyone one of you wants to come to vancouver island in Canada, ranked as one of the top 10 places in the world to live, we have a nice acreage with a guest suite for anyone to use. Some fantastic tri-s coming up this spring and summer

Runs 10 miles seemed outrageous to me until I just decided one day that I was going to do it and there were no 2 ways about it.  

You said swimming comes easy to you...and it does not to me. I swim about as good as a rock. Running has always been easy for me. I made a mistake when I first started training for tris by focusing so much on swimming that I almost dropped running and I lost a lot of fitness there. Keep up your A discipline while building the others, even if its just for self-esteem and feeling good about it.

As far as how to fit everything in, it takes creativity. I'm a teacher and have work outside of normal work hours to do, but also have shorter than normal work hours. I've found that for me, it works best to do my B (lower priority workout) of the day before work and then my A (priority) workout after work. I know some people recommend the opposite, but I've always had better workouts in the afternoon. I say it's because of years of track and soccer during my schooling. That was always in the afternoon or evening.

I've heard that Vancouver island is awesome! I've always wanted to get out that way but never done it. Hope you get to enjoy that weather and scenery a lot!

Keep up the consistency! Happy training everyone!

2013-04-18 8:14 PM

Ok so 2 quick updates....I swam my first 200m nonstop this week.Followed by 4 x100s, 4 x 50s, 4x 25, 2 cool down 50's (35 minutes)Thing number 2... After months of juicing and training and losing weight and eating clean...... I finally got sick! Today was the first day that I have not trained :-( weeks. Feels weird.Body just aches.
2013-04-19 1:04 AM
in reply to: #4705510

New user

Thanks for the help everyone.
2013-04-19 10:57 PM

User image

New user

Concord, NC

I am set to race the Xterra Whitewater Tri here in Charlotte, NC... 1K swim 26K MTB 6.5K run - July 14th.

I have been running about 16 months... run 1 marathon, 3 HM, a few smaller races... best race 1:48 HM.  Started running trails just recently, did trail HM a few weeks ago.

I have 0 swim experience, unless you count growing up in MI and swimming in lakes ALL the time as a child and young man.

I was an avid MTB rider back in MI from 16-20 (33 now), and have ridden maybe 10 times (on trails) here in NC.  My bike is a 2000 Kona Cinder Cone... old hardtail with airshock on front.  

I run 25-40 mpw, running not a problem.  I casually ride my bike, but will try to hit the trails maybe 8-12 times before the race.  Plan to do some stationary biking at gym as well.  Swimming - need to find a place, but maybe 10-15 sessions someplace, sometime?  Will this get me by? 

Edited by mdhall41 2013-04-19 11:00 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16