BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swbkrun mentor group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 67

2012-12-20 11:51 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: Swbkrun mentor group - Closed

NAME: SWBKRUN/ Steve Birds

STORY: I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 12 years. I remember when I was 22 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got suckered into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!!That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 11 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough! What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ALWAYS looking for the next great adventure and push myself to where all my friends and family think I am stupid !!!! Or crazy FAMILY

STATUS: Married (KIM) 10 years, Avery (30 month baby girl who already owns my heart!), and a chocolate lab (KONA) CURRENT

TRAINING: Training to me is the fun part. More enjoyable than the races.... It's all about the journey with me! I love getting out in different scenery, weather, people, etc. I guess that I lack consistency in my workouts. You won't see me on the treadmill everyday!

2012 RACES: A couple half marathons, a 50k, and few smaller runs

2013 RACES: Pacific crest half ironman, chelanman half, and a couple 50k

WEIGHTLOSS: I maintain a weight based strictly on exercise, and lucky genetics. I am a huge fan of Pizza, Chips/Salsa, and JACK AND COKES!!!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a good mentor to you for several reasons!!! I am fun, energetic, encouraging, and am a realist! I am no TYPE "A" personality, and I am an experienced MIDDLE OF THE PACKER!!! So should never be afraid to ask me questions, and I plan on learning from others, and being encouraged from others!!! My last Group had almost 300 pages of GREAT INFO, ENCOURAGEMENT, AND BANTER!!!! YOU WILL LOVE THIS GROUP, and THIS GROUP WILL LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!I have been a mentor since this program started 6 years ago, and LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! WE WILL GO FAR TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!! My mentor group rocks and are extremely smart!!! Get ready to be integrated with 3 sports, and everything that goes with it! !!! Look forward to meeting you! Hang on!!! We are as fast here as we are on the course!!!! GO GO GO!!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2012-12-26 11:27 AM

2012-12-21 12:43 AM
in reply to: #4543742

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Subject: RE: Swbkrun mentor group
I'm in for another season. Lord knows I'm gonna need the help.
2012-12-21 6:12 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
I just gave jarrett a Dutch oven.
2012-12-21 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I'm stuck.
2012-12-21 8:57 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
I'm at work. No one is here today. Eating breakfast buffet though.
2012-12-21 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Swbkrun group Newbies Encouraged

Please note, While this group as been a round since the beginning we are continuing to grow and ENCOURAGE new people to join this group.  We have several people here with a VAST level of knowledge and experience here.  You WILL get what you are looking for out of a group if you join this group.  Don't be alarmed by the rapid pace in which this thread goes.  Most of the time it is a couple guys talking about boobs, beer, and making fun of all of us, but then it get's right back in to training stuff.

"Come on in the water's warm (only because Fatty to a leak in it)"

2012-12-21 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Anyone hear the news of our local celebrity--Suzy Favor Hamilton?  
2012-12-21 10:57 AM

User image

Champion

Here is where we finish IM WI.  Looks a little different this morning, doesn't it Kim?!

2012-12-21 11:39 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

In!  Page 1!  Woot!  I need some serious help getting myself back in the game as a single mom.

I am so jealous of your snow, Suzy!  Can't wait to get on the slopes.  sadly it's 50 and raining...again.

2012-12-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4544262

User image

Master
Slacker here, signing in, reporting for duty!
2012-12-21 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4544180

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
SSMinnow - 2012-12-21 9:49 AMAnyone hear the news of our local celebrity--Suzy Favor Hamilton?  
Oh yes. Wish I had 6k to spend!!

Edited by TrevorC 2012-12-21 5:02 PM

2012-12-21 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: Swbkrun mentor group - OPEN

I'm back........................................

and, if anyone's curious, Ernesto's saying that his group had the most posts last season.  NOT.  We did!!!

Edited by velcromom 2012-12-21 6:22 PM
2012-12-21 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4544703

User image

Present!

Where are all the new people? Don't be shy, new people!

2012-12-21 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
I think it would be helpful for us to post new bios so people can see the type of freaks that hang out here.
2012-12-21 7:41 PM

User image

Champion

Suzy Shain - Madison WI (Unless a miracle happens I am the smallest elderly member of the MG!)

Background: 
Started endurance sports at the age of 40 after seeing the first IM WI in Madison. I knew one day I wanted to do the race as a way to get over my fear of water. Since I didn't know how to swim and rarely biked I turned to running and did 12 marathons before deciding to tackle the limiter holding me back from triathlon--swimming.   Support from this group, many lessons and some deep soul searching got me to my first super sprint in '08.  Since then I've done IM WI in '10/'11/'12 and plan to do it in '13.  IM is my favorite distance.  I love to run and I have really learned to like the bike.  I just started doing TRX and have really embraced it!

Family: Married for 23 years to Paul aka "the man",  no kids, but we do have an awesome Cockapoo, Cooper.   Work slightly less than full time , train as much as I can.

'13 Races/Goals:  "A" race is IM WI #4 where I hope to hit 12:XX after a bad '12 and the Oakland marathon where I would like to break my '08 PR and achieve BQ #4.

What I need to work on: Maintaining a positive frame of mind if one of my disciplines isn't improving as much as I would like.

Role in MG: I know a fair amount about running and injury management, try to be the cheerleader and the voice of reason.  I hate the HTFU approach and am not afraid to strike back when picked on by Fatty or Trevor.

Other Tidbits: I live on the IM MOO bike course, I love chocolate and support Wisconsin football--the Badgers and the Packers

2012-12-21 9:24 PM

User image

I'm in. I'll post a bio tomorrow.

2012-12-21 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Salem

I'd like to be in....

NAME: TRIGUYBRI/Brian

STORY: I am from Salem, Oregon.  Working towards my 5th year in Triathlon's.  Turning the big 50 next year and have signed up for Vineman Full in Guerneville, CA.  Race day (July 27th) is the day before my 50th B-Day (July 28th).  Happy B-Day me.  What a way to turn 50. : ) Involved in our local Tri Club here in Salem, OR...Willamette Valley Triathlon Club.  Have done Sprints, Oly Distance and Half-Iron Distance. 

STATUS: Married (Kay) 25 years and we have one son Brandon and a Westhighlander Terrier (White Westie) named Scooter.

TRAINING: Am in Week 2 of my training plan for Vineman Full.  Using the Fink Competitive Plan. I too love the training and figuring everything out.  Especially enjoy the planning and the journey; except when the journey doesn't end well.

2012 RACES: One sprint this past year. Was training for a marathon that never happened due to an injury.  Took time off to heal.

2013 RACES: Metric Century Bike, Century Bike Ride, Two local sprints, Oly Distance, OWS (Iron Distance Swim)and 2 Practice Race Simulations.  Vineman Full (1st Full).

WEIGHTLOSS - Working on getting back to 190;  Current 219.

2012-12-21 10:32 PM
in reply to: #4544188

User image

Expert
Salem
SSMinnow - 2012-12-21 8:57 AM

Here is where we finish IM WI.  Looks a little different this morning, doesn't it Kim?!

I grew up in South Dakota and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  Dang I miss those kind of days.  In Oregon we get lots of rain and a few times each winter some snow, but nothing like that.

2012-12-21 10:43 PM

User image

Little Harbour

It still say's OPEN so I'm in.

NAME: Divemedic/Jeremy Foote

STORY: I am from Nova Scotia Canada all the way on the east coast.  I watched in person my first TRI last summer but I have wanted to do it since watching IRONMAN races.  So I am a total beginner.  I am a shift worker (paramedic) I used to be in excellent shape but not somuch anymore.  I want to do a Olympic Tri which is just down the road 5km from my house and maybe just maybe a IRON distance. Also would like to do a Marathon.

STATUS: Married to my wife Angela of 7 years now we have a son Ethan(5) and daughter Ava (3) and a German Shepard Jack

TRAINING I enjoy training..I love the water and I used to run everywhere..my achilles heal will be the bike as I was never a great cyclist.

WEIGHTLOSS Don't need it..probably could stand to add a few pounds actually I'm 5'10" and 160lbs..so I'm actually going to up my protein with multi vitamins t add some strength.

2012-12-21 11:44 PM
in reply to: #4544835

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
TriGuyBri - 2012-12-21 7:45 PM

I'd like to be in....

NAME: TRIGUYBRI/Brian

STORY: I am from Salem, Oregon.  Working towards my 5th year in Triathlon's.  Turning the big 50 next year and have signed up for Vineman Full in Guerneville, CA.  Race day (July 27th) is the day before my 50th B-Day (July 28th).  Happy B-Day me.  What a way to turn 50. : ) Involved in our local Tri Club here in Salem, OR...Willamette Valley Triathlon Club.  Have done Sprints, Oly Distance and Half-Iron Distance. 

STATUS: Married (Kay) 25 years and we have one son Brandon and a Westhighlander Terrier (White Westie) named Scooter.

TRAINING: Am in Week 2 of my training plan for Vineman Full.  Using the Fink Competitive Plan. I too love the training and figuring everything out.  Especially enjoy the planning and the journey; except when the journey doesn't end well.

2012 RACES: One sprint this past year. Was training for a marathon that never happened due to an injury.  Took time off to heal.

2013 RACES: Metric Century Bike, Century Bike Ride, Two local sprints, Oly Distance, OWS (Iron Distance Swim)and 2 Practice Race Simulations.  Vineman Full (1st Full).

WEIGHTLOSS - Working on getting back to 190;  Current 219.

You're 50 before me......you're in.  Cool

2012-12-22 12:37 AM

Coeur d' Alene, and AK

Hi everyone, I would love to join in on all the fun!

I really like that there are a lot of members here that have a lot of different experience.  I hope you will have me and I think I will get a lot from this and hope to be able to give something in return as well.  

NAME: Drew Coyle

STORY: In June of 2011 I realized that I would be turning 30 in a year and figured I needed to make a change in my lifestyle.  Included on the list of things to change was weight, diet and overall well being.  It took about 8 more months before I started taking things seriously.  Last April and May I began running a little (more walking than running I think).  I started around 260lbs @ about 6'2".  I started losing weight and feeling better.  In June (the week I turned 30) my sister showed up to stay with my wife and I while she competed in her first Ironman.  It was the first year we embraced the madness that the IM brings to town and didn't leave for calmer waters.  I was beyond inspired.  It was one of the most incredible things I had ever been a part of, and I started wondering...could I maybe do this someday?    The next week I was signed up for a 5k.  Fast forward to the end of July I had a conversation with a colleague who was interested in triathlon as well.  The conversation we had made me want to start very badly.  So I found an "Internet" Half Ironman training plan on some website called Beginner Triathlete....  By the first week of August I had started swimming regularly and purchased a bike and was preparing to step up my running.  I have been training and logging as much as my schedule has allowed ever since.  To date I have lost 40 lbs and am hovering around 220 and still gaining fitness and losing weight.  The same sister, for round two of inspiration, was signed up for Ironman Canada.  Off we went to watch that.  It was equally inspirational and gave a boost of motivation when some of the excitement was waning.  She qualified for Kona on that adventure.  In October I had the privilege of traveling to witness the Mecca of triathlon.  I was able to swim the bay, run on Ali'i drive and even met and got an autograph from Mary Beth Ellis.  I was even more hooked.  I had signed up for the Boise Half Ironman as soon as registration opened.  I am committed and ready to go, but I think I might need some advice and some encouragement along the way!

Aside from the new found joy of training for triathlon, I love to ski and just bought a small sailboat this last summer.  I'm also a sucker for the great beers we are so spoiled by in the Pacific Northwest!  

STATUS: My wife Kate and I live in Coeur d' Alene Idaho, the black lab (Wilbur) & and a mainecoon are the closest things to kids.  I work and commute to Anchorage AK.

TRAINING: As a commuting pilot, training has been an adventure.  I've got 3 pools I use regularly, 2 gyms and lots of running routes.  The bike is difficult this time of year.  I've been using stationary/spin bikes when I can.  I try to train 3-6 days per week depending on what the schedule looks like.  

2013 RACES: I'm a total tri-noob, this is my first go!  I'm signed up for the Boise Half Ironman, and am looking for a sprint or two to mix into my training plan (hopefully in the Northwest).  

WEIGHTLOSS: Training thus far has rewarded me with much better results than I ever dreamed.  I hope to continue until I find my natural healthy weight.

2012-12-22 5:13 AM

User image

New Brunswick

Hi all,

I'm new to BT and to the sport in general and thought that this would be a good group to join in.  Here's my bio:

Name:     Jon

Occupation:  Civil Engineer.  On the road a lot for work that makes training a challenge sometimes.

Family Status:  Married with two young children, 2 and 4. Also make training a challenge at times....

Training:  Have always been athletic and involved in various sports.  For the last 6 months have been training (informally) with a goal of completing my first triathlon in June.  Have lost about 20 pounds and feel great.

Goals for 2013:  10k in May;  Sprint Tri in June;  Olympic Tri in August; Half Marathon later in the fall.

Looking for some training advice, motivation, and encouragement to get out and run on these cold mornings!!!

jon

2012-12-22 5:28 AM

User image

Champion

Woo-Hoo, we have new faces in the group.  Awesome!!!

Brian:  I will  be very interested to see what you think of the full Vineman.  I have considered coming out to do it.  We have several people from CA that due Vineman70.3 each year.  A little bummed that you will be 50 in July.  I am still the oldest by 2 months that way, turning 50 in April!!!  Shut up Linda!! Welcome!

Drew: You are an inspiration!  Having discovered tris in a similar way I understand your enthusiasm.  Ask as many questions as you want to.  There are plenty of people with varying experience from weight loss to their first sprint tri to IM.  Welcome!

Jon:  Welcoming another  Canadian to the MG (this is what we call the group).  It's 11F here today so I feel your pain!  Now get outside and run.

This group tends to post in waves, sometimes new people think it is overwhelming to keep up.  Don't worry about it.  Visit when you can, ask as many questions as you want.  The crazy train is about to take off!

Edited by SSMinnow 2012-12-22 5:30 AM
2012-12-22 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA

Name: Christina

STORY:  I am 39 and live in the burbs of Boston.  I was active my entire life (mostly skiing, cycling, and soccer) up til I got married, moved to the burbs and had kids. After four years of putting on the pounds, I got fed up and set myself 2 goals for 2010; run a 1/2 marathon and do a sprint tri.  Since I've done two 1/2 IM (Timberman '11 and Patriot '12) and IMWI '12 (well, sort of).  I'm not fast but I love training and competing against myself.

Family Status: Separated with 2 fabulous kids; 1 boy (Nicholas, 6.5 yo) and 1 girl (Alexa, 4.5 yo).  No pets.

2013 Races:  sprint tri in May and undecided on anything else. 

What I need to work on: I've recently taken on a new role as a full time single mom while working full time so its been tough sticking to a regular training schedule.  I feel I need to get into a good groove before commiting to any new races.

What I bring to the MG:  Not much if anything. I am still building experience in triathlons, so I take more than I give.  I do have background in many sports so I do try to speak up when I can offer perspective.

Weightloss: Since beginning this journey in 2010 I've lost 40 lbs.  Looking to rid myself of another 10-15.

Welcome newbies!

2012-12-22 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
marietta

suz, I'm carrying this over from the last round. Were you being serious when you said You guys got 21inches of snow yesterday but you hope the roads are clear today??? It's amazing you guys can handle that much snow so quickly.

On iPad. Bio later. Welcome new peeps!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swbkrun mentor group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 67