BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-04-18 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4544153

Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN

This is getting to be a repeat regarding my recovery weeks; I seem to lay off more than planned.  Work has gotten in the way and I don't make much of an effort to force a workout into the schedule.   I think I'm getting enough exercise in this week though.  I need to get motivated for next week's training.

I used the paddles in the pool and it felt like I was getting the proper pull/push with my hands so I just need to keep at it.

Planning to run and swim tomorrow and bike Saturday morning.  My daughter and I are participating in a bike ride event in Jackson, TN and there is a crazy cold front coming through (high today was 84 and its now under 50 outside).  I'm going to have to figure out how to dress for the morning ride.

Played racquetball tonight and promised myself that I will not play again for the next month to reduce the chance of injury before my tri.  No issues; just being careful.

Glan to hear the positive news from everyone and enjoy the race reports from Jason.

David

2013-04-18 9:37 PM
in reply to: #4700595

User image

Regular
NSW
themissj1981 - 2013-04-16 3:34 AM

well done jason and flossybach (By the way, flossybach, are you a dental person? I am a RDH)

had a decent swim workout last night.  only did drills.

was finally able to get a SPL count...took me several tries before I could get an accurate count where I felt like my form didn't suffer due to the mental effort of counting (normally while swimming I am intently focusing on my stroke, so counting is a "new" thing to think about).

anyways I got 15-14-16-14 SPL in 4 different 25 meter swims with a 8 breath (20 sec) rest  in between.  I was surprised, it wasn't too bad.  Just to double check that I did it right-I'm supposed to count each time a hand enters the water, right?

I am pretty sure I am still overkicking, but even though I KNOW that, it isn't as simple as just telling myself to slow down on the kicking.  I did a few stroke only (no kick) drills and I'm pretty sure my SPL was nearly double.

-jacki

Thanks Jacki, and to answer your question I am not in dental (although I have close friends who are dentists, so does that count?). I think from the initials that you are a Registered Dental Hygienist? Hope that is correct. I am a Nurse/Midwife Manager. 

Looking at your stroke per length, you are doing very well. I am very slack with counting, and found it a distraction that slowed me down. I do it every now and then, but mostly try and concentrate on keeping an even tempo throughout my lengths. My main piece of advice for what its worth, for people who are not swimmers or confident with swimming, is not to overthink it. Remember swimming is the shortest leg in time and distance (more's the pity). My disclaimer is that I am by no means an expert in anything, and have only just started building endurance and confidence with exercise.

I am going to start introducing paddles and go back to elastics around my legs (or old tyre tubes), based on Howards recommendations. My current splits for 100m in a 25m pool are 1:30-1:45mins. I really want to get under 1:30mins. Knowing what you are aiming for helps inform your training as well. As we are all different and at different levels.

I know that I couldn't do the amt of training that Jason does or the intensity....it makes me wanting a nanna nap just reading it!

Felicity

2013-04-18 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
NSW

I have great news! After complaining about not having a GPS watch my husband bought me a Garmin 310xt as an early Mothers day present. I think I might need another degree to learn how to use it, and it is very large, but hope that it will help me with training, particularly running.

At this point I won't use it for my group training sessions as it is too large and might hurt someone if I accidently hit them! my Polar FT7 will continue to be my trusty friend during these sessions.

Will test it tomorrow at parkrun. it better make me go faster!!

2013-04-19 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4706565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy

Put that Garmin to use!!!! I had a 310xt and really enjoyed it. It was great cause you could wear it for the entire race and even track your transition times. It ended up dying on me and now I tend to fair better with no watch for races. Having a GPS watch will definitely help you fine tune your runs. It will let you know when you are going to fast for your easy runs and to slow when you should be killing it! Have fun!

David - Stay motivated! We all have rough patches we go through and don't get in what we planned. unfortunately we are not pros so life gets in the way. Keep it up and you will be ready for that Oly guaranteed!

I did an easy 3100 yrds in the pool this morning.

Warmup: 500 swim, 400 kick, 300 pull, 200 IM drill, 100 Swim

10x100 IM on 1:30

5x100 Kick w/ fins on 1:30

100 EZ Warm down

Followed that up with some lifting. Hit the legs pretty hard and they are feeling a little wobbly!

2013-04-21 9:33 AM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: I Don't Need No Stinking Bike Shorts

I packed my bag the day before yesterday's ride.  It was going to be cold so I was little confused on what to wear; checked my bag before leaving the house and still had the feeling something was missing.  My plan was to wear running pants over my bike shorts but I forgot my shorts.  Rode a little over two hours wearing running pants (soft material) along with my boxer briefs.

I think I was more comfortable in this configuration than when I ride with my biking shorts.  I also seem to recall that I'm better off in my tri-shorts with less padding.  So, I think maybe I need to just wear my tri-shorts for bike training or maybe find a different pair of biking shorts or maybe no padding at all?

I used to wear regular athletic/running shorts when I rode in the 1980's so why do I need special bike shorts now?

Have any of you been through different shorts for bike riding before settling on a favorite?

Edited by Day-Day 2013-04-21 9:41 AM
2013-04-21 12:50 PM

User image

East of the Rockies

Hmmm interesting thought David! I just started riding semi-seriously last year and just thought that you needed "bike" shorts! I have only used my Louis Garneau's for riding and they seem to help. Might just have to try with out and see how that goes.

Just clocked 320 minutes of training time this past week, longest yet. But I can't help but wonder (because it doesn't seem like much) how much time is spent warming up and cooling down, getting to the gym, changing into sports gear, showering, pumping up bike tires etc etc. I don't include my warm up /cool down, stretching etc. into my training log, my log just shows actual training minutes. Start adding up the non-training minutes and its no wonder we don't have time for much else. I'll bet one would be surprised how much time that misc., but necessary, stuff takes up. 

Edited by hwkirby 2013-04-21 12:58 PM

2013-04-22 3:46 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
David/ Howard I tried riding on my bike on the trainer with bike, and ended up very uncomfortable. So prob wouldn't try that again. I do find that my trisuit is more comfortable than bike specific knicks. I am however speaking as a woman, so my experience will have obvious differences to both of you! Felicity
2013-04-22 10:29 PM

Is it too late to join your group-  looking at doing my first Tri in July as a tune up for the Chicago oly-

Thank you-

2013-04-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4710937

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
onebigking - 2013-04-22 11:29 PM

Is it too late to join your group-  looking at doing my first Tri in July as a tune up for the Chicago oly-

Thank you-

Never to late! Welcome. Provide some info so we know who you are and some background!

2013-04-23 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4708924

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Howard, don't be afraid to add in those Warm- ups and cool downs, depending what they are, into your training logs as time and distance. If you are stretching that is different, but if you are doing an easy jog or running drills before and after than count that time. It is part of training. Don't forget how important these drills and other things are to being a good triathlete. We don't just go out and run, swim or bike with no purpose. Today I did my track workout after my pool session. Easy 6 minute jog to the track from pool and then I started doing my drills on the track. I never stopped the watched and I don't stop it even when my rests between intervals are (even though I am typically just standing there catching my breath or walking slowly back and forth). It all counts and is part of the time and hardwork you are putting into it!
2013-04-23 10:42 PM

User image

Regular
Oregon

been sick.  only worked out once in the last 6 days and I had to quit halfway through due to light headedness.

Planning on hitting the pool tomorrow....

2013-04-24 10:24 AM

Hello-

I would love to join your group- Im training for a tri in Okoboji July 20- and have signed up for the olympic event in Chicago in August- 

Im 46- from Nebraska- trained and completed in the Tough Mudder in Wisconsin(september '12) last year and looking to up the challenge this year- Just getting started- have a specialized mountain bike that we ride trails on to work out- just bought the specialized allez comp- should be here Friday-

Started swimming mid January- when I say I started, I mean my last "lesson" was 40 yrs ago- Ive read all the challenges with the swim and am a believer! Started working just yesterday with a coach in the pool who has completed many Tris and the wisconsin ironman - amazing what he was able to show me in 20 minutes- the weather has been less than good for outside activities here- I purchased the book "Triathlon Training" - going to do the 18 week program as close as I can- will throw some insanity workouts in there and some mountain biking to keep it fresh-

Really looking forward to follow everyones success on here and help each other out!  I appreciate the chance and looking forward to learning as much as we can-

I have a buddy who is doing those two events with me-  I will try to get him to join in-

Im married with 4 awesome kids (15, 12, 9, & 5)

Not sure if there is anything else I missed- if interested, let me know- Cheers!!

2013-04-24 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4712752

User image

Regular
NSW
themissj1981 - 2013-04-24 3:42 PM

been sick.  only worked out once in the last 6 days and I had to quit halfway through due to light headedness.

Planning on hitting the pool tomorrow....

Bugger! Don't worry too much, just ease back into it.. you will be back on track before you know it! Speaking from someone who is regularly sick......its two steps forward and one back for me!
2013-04-24 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4713263

User image

East of the Rockies
onebigking - 2013-04-24 9:24 AM

Not sure if there is anything else I missed- if interested, let me know- Cheers!! 

A first name would be nice!

2013-04-25 4:20 AM
in reply to: #4714089

User image

Regular
NSW
hwkirby - 2013-04-25 12:23 PM
onebigking - 2013-04-24 9:24 AM

A first name would be nice!

Lol Howard! Yep x2 here.

Felicity

2013-04-25 4:29 AM

User image

Regular
NSW

Well, must say I am really impressed with my 310xt. It is a monster of a sport watch. Loving the data and mapping...what can I say apart from that now my workouts will actually be logged (I am a bit slack with this). 
Will need to be more vigilant with logging my in the gym sessions.

This weekend I will be doing another sprint tri. I did the exact same course as my first ever tri in Nov. Really hoping that I improve compared to then. Have been trying to increase distances in all legs to build endurance, now that I am well...so hoping that my regular 5km runs which have been slowly improving, and my base swimming will help me (I won't be wearing my wetsuit after it took me 5mins to take it off in my last sprint tri).

Did a 30km bike ride today and feel pretty good tonight. Plan on hitting the pool tomorrow morning before taking the kids for a day out in Sydney. We are staying there overnight for the triathlon.

Hope everyone's training is going well....who has their events coming up?

Felicity 

2013-04-25 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4714285

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Felicity, good luck this weekend! Is the tri a wetsuit legal swim? You just gave me an idea for a blog topic! Will write it up today!
2013-04-25 6:01 AM
in reply to: #4714297

User image

Regular
NSW
yes it will be. I doubt water will be over 22C. I have a wetsuit but have not worn it much, so I am not confident getting out of it at T1. not sure if its worth it for a sprint tri.....what are your thoughts?
2013-04-25 9:29 PM

My name is Shennen- 

Does anyone have any insight on the total immersion swimming- By Terry Laughlin.  I believe there is a book written about it as well as a video-  seems like a lot of what I read about swimming seems to refer to his swimming technique ?  Thought I would bounce it off you to see if you are using or not-

Thank you and keep working hard!! Haven't got all the names down yet, but good luck to the person competing this weekend at the sprint in Sydney- FUN !!!!! I get fitted for my bike tomorrow and plan my first ride on Saturday- hope everyone has a great weekend!

2013-04-25 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4714306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Felicity, in my opinion anytime you can wear a wetsuit you should! If you have time practice in the house taking it off as quickly as possible. You want to unzip and pull down to waste while you are exiting water and running to transition. When you reach your bike pull down as far as possible to shins or so and then use your feet to step on it while you rip your feet out with some force.
2013-04-26 2:48 PM

User image

East of the Rockies

Good luck this weekend Felicity!!! I hope all goes as planned! I to agree with Jason, wear the suit if you can. I know for myself that wearing the suit gives me the security factor that I need to get through the swim portion of the race well! If it causes you anxiety I can certainly understand that!

Welcome Shennen! I am just getting my own swimming down so I am not able to offer any advice at this time. Jason is the man and he has all kinds of great advice!

Speaking of swimming...I am getting faster with each session. I have really been concentrating on my pull and trying to get my stroke count down. Its working but have a long way to go! Jason when performing the stroke do you try to rip your hand through the water or do you have a more moderate/constant pull?

Have a great weekend all! Looking forward to hearing about your race next week Felicity! Again...good luck!         Howard

2013-04-26 7:36 PM

Bartlett, TN

Felicity--I'm glad you're feeling well and ready to jump into a sprint this weekend; hope to hear a good report after your race.  We have had such a cold spring so far I'm thinking there is a decent chance that we will be able to wear wetsuits for my May 19 race which I prefer.

Between a messed up schedule and storms in the area, I had to A) run on the treadmillFrown and B) cut my run short todaySmile  I felt good running and really wanted to get a couple of extra miles in but picked up the pace a little and got 4.4 miles done.  Had a good swim session this morning but it seems like I'm never getting any faster.

Rain tommorrow so I will probably ride the trainer but I just got a brand new rear tire.  Saved my old one to put back on for next winter.

Jacki--How are you feeling now?  Have you been able to get your training going again?

Welcome Shennen--Howard got it right; Jason has been very helpful.  I have really appreciated questions that others ask and Jason answers as much as my own questions.

2013-04-26 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4716601

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Howard, that's a good question. I really have to walk through my stroke and think about it a little, but for distance swimming a steady pull is what I do and I what I suggest. You want to apply the same force throughout the pull. To much or too fast and you will tire quickly. Thanks for all the compliments everyone. I'm glad I could be of assistance. Haven't gotten around to the blog post yet been very busy. Wifes birthday is tomorrow so I'm giving her my credit card to pay for a manicure and pedicure while I hit the pool. In the evening I'm taking her to a nice seafood and steak restaurant. Sunday is a criterium race for me which looks like great weather and going to be fast! Got in a good bike ride followed by some run hill repeats which really took a lot out of me! Columbia Trip is only 3 weeks away and I'm getting excited, feeling very strong and looking forward to taper!
2013-04-27 1:15 AM

User image

Regular
NSW

Thanks for all the comments...in no particular order....Howard, David, Jason (you guys are tops!)

and welcome Shennen, looking forward to hearing your progress.

And Jason I read your advice last night whilst in the motel, and thought "oh bugger I hadn't bought the wetsuit with me!" I hoped that the weather wasn't going to be too cold....

When we woke this morning it was a chilly 7c but warmed up to be about 17c by the time the race started. The water was 23c so I jumped in a few minutes before my wave and warmed up a bit.

Anyhow, I have uploaded the event onto my training log for you to have a look at....I will post a race report, but in the meantime bottom line is I did the event in UNDER 1.5hrs (by 18secs).....Whoo Hoo!! Am I happy or what! That means since my first Tri in Nov, I have taken close to 7 mins off my time..... and as we would say in my country THAT is bloody marvellous!

My swim was 13mins (for 750m)

Bike 41. something (20ks)

Run 30.38 (5ks).

The run in particular I am very pleased about because I have only managed sub30 3-4times without a swim and bike, so to get close is great. 

I really think this group and the conversations within it has helped enormously, particularly with my confidence.

So thanks everyone.......time for a wine and rest. Felicity

Edited by flossybach 2013-04-27 1:16 AM
2013-04-27 2:42 AM

User image

Regular
Oregon

Finally getting over my illness and back in the routine, thanks for thinking of me.

Wednesday night got a box in the mail from SwimOutlet with a bunch of new, strange goodies...Laughing

Swam Thurs night with Paddles for the first time....WOW an eye opener. Also attempted to use the Finis Freestyle snorkel...found that too odd and mostly abandoned it.  Fairly decent swim workout for me.

This morning did 10 miles on my old steel Trek beast...god I hate that thing now after renting a nice bike in Arizona for my first tri...

Did a core workout and strength training (leg focus).

Then I swam for 30 minutes...started to get the hang of the snorkel to work on my form.  Feel like a huge dork, but heck! I AM a huge dork.  Still not back at 100% lung capacity after my 10 day long hacking contest (who knew coughing up a lung was such a great core workout!)  So today the longest I could swim consecutively without needing a short rest was 50meters  Frown  On the bright side, I can tell my form and confidence is improving at least a little bit. My endurance does not seem to be...

Tonight I am obsessing over bike reviews and specs.... because tomorrow I am going bike shopping after my workout!  EXCITING!  From my research I am leaning towards a Trek Lexa SLX (Women's specific) or a Specialized Allez Elite.  Of course it depends on what the sales people want to show me or enlighten me with... My price range for the bike is roughly $1,000-$1,200 with another $300 or so in the budget for accessories and a custom fitting if needed. 

So...now comes the million dollar question: If you had roughly $1,500 and change to spend on a bike and accessories and services what would YOU get?

Edited by themissj1981 2013-04-27 2:44 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 15