BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-05-04 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4727243

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Pink Socks - 2013-05-04 11:26 AM  TMI here but since I've changed my diet to more beef to attempt to pump up the hemo, well it is reaking havoc on my digestive system. 

Pam, I hear you on the meat stuff.  I do not eat a lot of meat.  Maybe twice a month because I have a very bad stomach. I've found that if I get hormone free and preservative free, from a Whole Foods or Natural food market it makes a BIG difference.  Eating it VERY rare as well...

2013-05-04 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
thanks folks, the trainer ride was a good one today, and as much mental as physical. It just *sucked* after about an hour, and I seriously thought about bailing at 1.5 hours thinking how I could go lay on the sofa upstairs and just sleep. That I started the ride at 4:15 AM didn't help, but its the only time I could fit it in. Kept going and at 2 hours figured I was more than 1/2 way, so just keep going. Kept doing the math in my head about needed average speed to get 50 miles in 3 hours, etc, and went accoringly. Kept a pretty even pace the entire time, and my average cadence was 86. When I finished I was completely psyched. And did I ever sweat a ton. Wow. And if you get  the chance, the chocolate-cherry CLIFF gels are super good!!! Got one for free at REI last night and tried it this AM. Yum!!!
2013-05-04 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

1900 yard swim last night, 35 mile trainer ride for me this morning, hopefully 6 mile run tomorrow. Fridge appears to be dying 8(.  Not sure what its problem is.  It looks like my new group isn't posted yet.  When it is I won't be able to keep up with stuff here and there at the same time.   

It sounds like things are starting to come together for folks.  It has been a long time coming, patience muscles in good shape.

2013-05-04 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4727382

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Baowolf - 2013-05-04 5:20 PM

It looks like my new group isn't posted yet.  When it is I won't be able to keep up with stuff here and there at the same time.   

It sounds like things are starting to come together for folks.  It has been a long time coming, patience muscles in good shape.

Is it normal for the old group to post in the archives?  From what I've read most of us seem to be joining the next group anyhow....am I missing something?

I totally agree with Steve, things are on the up for the group!

Mike: Nice ride this morning!  I've tried that clif choco/cherry....I like it too.

Mitch: I'm impressed your holding your reins back by doing 8 again because you feel its safer!

Nothing new to report here workout wise.  I'm going to get IronFit again because I realized when I made my spreadsheet of Fink's workouts, I just put in the discipline, HR zone, and time....I didn't think I'd need to know if they were bricks or whatever....silly me!  I also found a book on HR training which I'll give a whirl to see if I can learn anything new.

Good luck to our racers tomorrow!  Much like Pam, just a drive by post for now. 

2013-05-04 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Quick hi from Knoxville where Anthony and I have the Rev3 tomorrow.  Not looking like it will be a particularly delight sensory experience as the water temp in the river is 59 degrees and a decent current (though only 1/3 upstream, 2/3rds downstream).  Fair amount of rain as well.  But, had a delightful meal last night with old friends and my BIL is doing the HIM, so at least we should have some good stories to tell.  Anthony, don't know if you drove the bike route, but just pay attention on the downhill sections as there are some technical turns and blind spots.  With the narrow road and wet conditions, best to err on the safe side.  Spent too much time on my feet today walking here and there, but that will quickly be forgotten after the plunge in the river :-)

Hope everyone is doing well and that the MASH unit is in an improving state!  Sorry to have been quiet recently.  Work has been a bear and training has been middling at best.

Stu

2013-05-04 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Good luck Anthony and Stu!  Have fun and be safe!

Once the new group is up I will jump to that and only follow the new...

2013-05-04 10:44 PM

User image

Veteran

Anthony and STu - Looking forward to hearing about your race. That is some cold water.

Carol - Good to hear from you. I do hope you are doing well!

Mitch - I know what you mean about sharing with this group. It's a community for sure. Great job on your running, and I'm happy for you and your recovery!

Joe - Your wifes response made me chuckle. It sounds like all the wives and husbands are supportive to a point. How you all train and take care of families is beyond me, but y'all make me proud. Great 5K pace.

Mike - Nice work on the trainer!

Pam - way to get out there and keep the body moving forward. Sometimes that's all a person can do.

Steve - you are getting back at it and that is FANTASTIC! Talk about a crazy road.

Jay - We usually jump into the next group. So as soon as Steve's shows up we can begin posting there instead.

Today was a fantastic training day for me. I decided to head to a trail called "Trail of the Couer D Alenes". The powers that be decided to take an old railroad path and pave it. It winds through lakes and forrest; it is beautiful. Since I was riding 95 miles and have done my last several ride on the IM course I decided I needed a different challenge, and this trail is flat. Which means pedaling the whole time is required. No breaks on the downhill sections. Although I went further down the trail than I've ever been and found the one and only hill. It's a 5 mile sustained 3% grade. Perfect light challenge for me. On the way out I had a nice tail wind and was pushing 17-22mph most of the time. Of course, when I turned around the tail wind became a head wind. It wasn't as bad as last week and I was able to keep my speed above 13mph. I really hate the wind, but I must learn to live with it. In the end I maintained over 16mph and that is pretty darn cool. After I finished the bike I did a four mile run. It was also a very sunny day with temps around 70; so very nice after so much cold and rain. Tomorrow I swim 4500, bike 35 and run 10. Phew!

Oh, and when I mentioned what I learned about stop lights and signs I meant during training rides not races

Happy Sunday training!

2013-05-05 5:14 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Pam - I understand about the spouses working differently and I think it was Jay who said his wife showed some interest in Tri. Last year as I began to train my wife started to walk more and worked a bunch on the elitical. So I kidded with her that she would be ready for a 5K in now time. Nothing overbearing, and only once maybe twice a week. Well one day from out of the blue she says there is no way she is ever running a 5k. I thought it funny she must have considered it but as I already knew would have to be in her time. I still hold out some hope as she does like to be in good shape.

Samantha - Sounds like a very nice trail for a bike ride. This year more than last I find it important to mix up the scenery. 

Stu, Anthony - Hope the weather gets better. Have a good race!

This has been a fun three days with a run/swim thursday, BRICK friday and then a morning swim and afternoon run yesterday. Not overly tired this morning but putting off any WO to the afternoon. First week with over 7 hrs training so psyched about that. Repeating it will be the trick! Have a great weekend everyone no matter what you are doing.

2013-05-05 5:49 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Anthony & Stu -- have a great race!!! Look forward to hearing all about it!

When the new group is up, I'll jump over there.

Off for a nice easy long run this AM. Bye!

2013-05-05 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Stu, great to hear from you.  Hoping you and Anthony are tearing up the course about now!

Samantha, awesome ride!  So glad you have such a beautiful trail where you can put in those miles.  And yes, 16+, especially over that distance is something to celebrate for sure!

Been too busy to keep up like I'd like to here.  Work cranked up quite a bit, and also have had some fun.  I volunteered for packet pickup for a local 5K for 4 hrs on Friday, which gets me another race entry.  Went garage saling with a friend yesterday morning, and scored the best deal ever -- FREE upholstered lounge type chair that does not seem worn at all, and is the perfect colors for our living room!  Know that's not tri related, but makes me giddy, so had to share.

Speaking of spouse workout dynamics -- hubby & I are doing a 30 mile bike rally in a couple of weeks.  He's been having some trouble getting rides in, so I "suggested" that he needed to ride a total of 30 miles this weekend...any combo.  Told him if he did not ride at least 30 this weekend, I was going to have zero sympathy for him hurting at the rally, but it was his call (evil grin).  So we headed out yesterday afternoon and rode 19...half of it into a 25 mph headwind.  He was none to happy with me during the ride, but got over it quickly and was glad I pushed him a bit.  11 more miles to go this afternoon and the wind is supposed to be up again .   

2013-05-05 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good morning all!

First off, I hope Anthony and Stu are doing well on the course in Knoxville right now!  You all are making me glad that I'm not the only one that thinks training with a spouse is a tough undertaking!  To take it a step further, I do most of my training alone because I can't find a clone of myself :D

I got out and did a 15 mile bike ride this morning.  I have no idea of pace or anything because 8% battery life on my Magellan is code for NOTHING!  I've been trying to use Map my Ride but I can't figure out how to use...perhaps its user error.  Either way, it was a nice make up ride for Friday.

Thanks for the responses on where you guys will post when Steve's new group pops up.  I knew we'd eventually end up there but wasn't sure if we'd start in the archives as to not scare the new mentees.

Have a good day everyone.

2013-05-05 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Finished the race. Not sure the official time yet, but I had fun once I got out of the water. Bike and run were wet but the temps were perfect for me. I wasn't able to find Stu this morning so I hope he had a good day too! I will type up my race report later. First things first. Off for some brunch with the fam now.
2013-05-05 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran

Way to go Anthony!!!!

This morning I did 4500 yards, and I looked at my time for 4200 (IM distance) and I swam it in 1:40. It was basically a continuous swim and I am super stoked about it so I had to share.

Have a great day everyone!

2013-05-05 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Nice job, Samantha!!!

Anthony, congrats. Hope you ate all you wanted at brunch -- you've earned it!

2013-05-05 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Yea Anthony!!!!!  Can't wait to hear about the race and read your report.

Jay, it's great to finally see you.

Samantha, wow on that swim time!!!!  Can't wait til your IM.

As for training with spouse.  Hubby and I can swim together because neither of us can talk during that.  Biking, he leaves my butt and I'm glad.  But with running, he likes to hang with me during races and I just don't like anyone with me during races because I'm doing my pace.  At the Boston tribute run, he was staying with me and I couldn't get rid of him.  Then we caught up with a cute little girl that had been in our DU and a cute neighbor.  We all chitchatted for a while and then I told hubby to hang with the girls.  And I took a walk break.  Now should a husband get angry with his wife if she hooks him up with two cute young girls and then gets lost?  I don't think so.  And he didn't complain either.

Carol, furniture?   Oh wow, furniture is my downfall.  I don't like to shop for groceries, jewelry, or clothes but furniture...well I salivate.  But my house doesn't show it.  Between the boy, the man, and the dog, well I don't get nice things anymore.  And right now, my dachshund's back is out so we have all of "his" furniture blocked - ottoman on the side in front of my chair, exercise ball in hubby's recliner, foam roller and pillow blocking the sofa.  Dang, I digress.  Congrats on the furniture and I've very jealous.

Family was gone this afternoon so prepped all of the food and then went for a 6 mile run.  It felt great.  Now I'm celebrating Cinco de Mayo with a margarita!  We had tacos for lunch but son had ball game and I had to get my run in so no margarita until now.  Have a great day everyone.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-05-05 3:51 PM
2013-05-05 4:10 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Grats Anthony, you just need more open water swims to be better at OWS.  

Samantha if your leg has held through your 10 miler I think you will be fine for your IM.  The 95 was solid so that is great and your swim buys you 40-50 minutes in the bank for your other two events.  It is important to keep in mind that on race day you will have had 3 weeks of taper giving you a bit more energy than you have currently.  If you survive the next  weeks without issue with your calf you are sitting pretty for your IM.  You have stepped up your game tremendously and I am not worried about you making the time cutoffs if you are able to stay healthy.  

Ya so was feeling a little fatigue on the 6 mile run this morning.  However, I am putting in 12 hours of workouts this week from um not much er any base 2 weeks ago so that kinda makes sense.  My plan is fairly flat with mostly only adding to the long and slight additions to the swim each week.  Before picking up more with weekly runs in a few weeks.  

For the new group.  They will fill up the current open groups and then open up another 6 or so groups probably mid this week. Again don't worry about the timing ya'll can join whenever.   

2013-05-05 5:22 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I for one would be all for hanging with the 2 cuties.
2013-05-05 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Anthony, saw your splits - great job overall, but especially on the bike and run you were cooking!  Congrats.  Sorry that we weren't able to meet.  I went by your spot a couple of times as well, but I guess we were just off in timing.  Ah well, next time.

Sorry for the late board check-in.  We drove back to Virginia right after the race so we could be back at work in the morning (bah).  I was generally happy with the results (other than the conditions - unlike Anthony, biking in a a downpour is not my idea of fun, though, he's right, the temps were good).  Swim was not as bad as I expected... numbing, of course, so it took me a little while to get my head together, but once we headed downstream, it went smoothly.  Even enjoyed doing some backstroke as we passed underneath the bridges across the Tennessee River.  I didn't push the bike due to a combination of light training and some concerns on the downhills, so lost some time relative to my usual there, but that was expected.  Anyway, that may have helped my run as I was able to finally break 1 hour for the 10K and kept a fairly steady pace other than the last 1/2 mile which was kind of an uphill haphazard layout.  Have to say, it was the first time in a race I was actually looking forward to the run :-)  My transitions were horrid, more gear changes than usual, but it wasn't like I was going to placing or anything, so I decided to err on the side of comfort.  Good call for me. 

My BIL placed 3rd in the Clydesdales in the HIM, so he was a happy camper.

Thanks all for the well-wishes, especially after it had been while since I posted (though I have lurked now and then!)  Need to get my butt back up on the Skyline Drive.  I've been a slacker on the bike. 

Stu

2013-05-06 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran

Pam - You feel about furniture the way I feel about outdoor gear (bikes, backpacks, etc.) Funny how we all have something that we will spend money on and others think we are crazy. Nice run and I sure hope the margarita tasted delicious.

Steve - I made it through my 10 miler with minimal issues. I definitely noticed my calf more than normal bceause I was focusing on it, and it is still very tight. So there were some twinges; not painful just reminders to take it easy. So I stayed at a 4/2 and it went as well as could be expected. And that is taking into consideration I had that long swim this morning and I biked 30 miles before running. All said and done, it was good I think. Tomorrow I have a 5 mile and I'm gonna see how running the whole distance goes. Thanks for your encouragement about being ready; means an awful lot. Can you explain to me how special needs works? So glad you are feeling tired BECAUSE YOU ARE TRAIING AGAIN....WOOHOO!

Stu - Great work man. And we support all our members no matter how often they post because it is fun to share in the excitment and hear how it went. Now go make friends with your bike

Oh, and something funny happened today while I was biking. So I told y'all about the stop light/stop signs laws for Idaho. Well today I came to a stop light and a motorcycle pulled up beside me. I came to a complete stop, looked both ways and there was an opening so off I went. Next thing I know the guy on the motorcycle is pulling up beside me yelling "You are supposed to stop at the stop lights. Follow the rules." I kept riding and didn't look at him, and the car in front of him started to slow down and I think he nearly ran into it. I really wanted the chance to tell him to go read the laws for bikers, but the chance didn't come up. I think I am gonna try to find ways to make people - bike riders and motorists - more aware of the laws since this area is increasingly becoming a biking community. Anyway, it was a long day. I decided to post while I ice my calves.

Back to work tomorrow. Happy day to all!

2013-05-06 1:22 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Good job on your races guys, I've done a HIM in the rain... ya not ideal.

Samantha, you get 2 bags, 1 for the bike special needs 1 for the run special needs.  Each bag will be available at the half way point in your race (mile 56 on the bike, 13 ish on the run).  You can put in a spare tube, CO2, tire, calories, windbreaker, whatever you want.  For the run if you are going to be out after dark I would recommend a sweatshirt or windbreaker, temps will drop and you may still be wet from trying to stay cool during the day.  Some put a headlamp in if they know they will be out after dark.  Bike should be pretty straight forward.  As you come in to special needs you yell out your number and some kind volluneer gets you your bag.   I put my 2nd bottle of infinit in the bike bag.  Ask me specific questions fi you can think of any.  

2013-05-06 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Good morning, folks! Hopefully Ron gets the new group up soon, but we can be content here for now.

Congrats on the races. Tough to drive home after the race, and then work the next day. How you feeling today?

Woke up this AM not feeling great (self-inflicted) and somehow dragged my corpse to the pool. Nothing wakes you up like a cold pool at 5:20 AM. Did 2800 yards today, and felt better than last week. Just kept it smooth, and worked on stroke. Can't believe its only 40 days until the HIM.

2013-05-06 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Congrats to Anthony and Stu!  Glad you both enjoyed the race and kept the rubber side down on that wet ride. 

More later .

2013-05-06 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Hello everyone!  I'm amazed at how (seemingly all of a sudden too) things have turned for the better for just about everyone in the group.  The MASH contingent are starting to train again and our non MASHers are really doing well with training and/or racing!

Today was a bit of a lost day training wise for me.  I picked up my goodies at the post office this morning and was hoping to catch the mailman for my Podium Quest.  Unfortunately, things didn't go so well.  I picked up the items at 9AM sharp, brought them home and started to put together the GSC 10.  I pulled up a you tube video to help me and things were going smoothly...until I had to pair it with my Magellan.  I couldn't get it to work.  I called Garmin and Magellan seperately and both sides confirmed that everything was set up right (I even confirmed on the ANT+ site that they were compatible) but it never came together.  I went for a short ride to see if that would work but it failed.  So, I'll be returning the GSC 10 to Amazon and I'll continue biking without cadence sensors.  The good news is that my HR that I bought paired right up!  Tomorrow, I'll pick up my Podium Quest and that should do it for my bike set up (for awhile anyway)

I did get a little work in on the elliptical and then got in the pool with my new tempo trainer.  This new toy is really going to help me.  It beeps everytime you should put your hand in the water for a stroke.  My swim coach was nice enough to suggest a starting speed for it and I went off of that.  It started off fine but as I did more sets and got tired...this gadget will hear non of that.  Its job is to beep every 1. whatever seconds and thats what it did.  I ended up tired enough where I got a side stitch for the first time since I could barely swim 25 yards!  It was a good struggle though and I look forward to more of it.

2013-05-06 5:22 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Glad things are coming together Jay.  If I want to swim faster I just make the water move faster and try not to let the machine eat my toes.  I think I'll be dragging for a while here.  Today is 4 mile run, 20 mile bike and 1000 yard swim, or a long sprint tri.  Hopefully in another 3-5 weeks I will be at a reasonable base fitness to start building well. 

In RL our frig died and living where we live that means picking out fridges online and buying lots of ice while we wait a week or 2 to have a refrigorator again.  My garmin is being persnikity too. It locked up so I reset it brain and now it is just blank despite having a solid charge.  Hrm.  New group isn't live yet, but I keep checking.

2013-05-06 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Steve - I have a fridge you can have, but the shipping would make it rather uneconomical, I'm thinking. Cross continent fridge freight can't be cheap. We did just buy a new Samsung one, and its pretty cool.

Off to run tomorrow. No hammy pain of any kind in nearly a week

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52