BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-01-10 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4544338

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL

Today was the first time I ran/walked my 5K from my house.  Then did 30 minutes on the bike in my LR.  Last year at this time I was happy if I made the 2 mile loop which was mostly walking.

Tom

2013-01-10 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4572816

User image

Great job Tom! It's always rewarding to look back at how far we've come.
2013-01-10 8:43 PM

Schedule's been a bit wonky lately - haven't had time to be too social. Hopefully things will even out within a week or two.

I really like my swim coach. tonight I learned she was once kicked off a water polo team for breaking a guy's nose in a fight and I now like her even more.

Training is starting to get back on track after light holiday training. I think I'm going to have to do some early morning runs which bums me out. I'd been getting used to almost getting enough sleep lately.

Looking forward to a trail run this weekend.

2013-01-10 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4572816

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
TomsTri-ing - 2013-01-10 5:28 PM

Today was the first time I ran/walked my 5K from my house.  Then did 30 minutes on the bike in my LR.  Last year at this time I was happy if I made the 2 mile loop which was mostly walking.

Tom

Nice!  It's funny how perspective changes over time; a few years ago, the thought of running home from work (about 10 miles)  was pretty foreign to me.  I've done it a few times now, and would do it more if I didn't seem to always be nursing some injury these days.

2013-01-12 3:47 PM

User image

Not sure who offered the suggestion of using iPod for Sufferfest videos on travel but thanks! I was able to get a quality w/o in today while on travel. I travel a lot for work and am always struggling to get non-run workouts in.Thanks again!
2013-01-12 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4575319

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

jhoyt1 - 2013-01-12 4:47 PM Not sure who offered the suggestion of using iPod for Sufferfest videos on travel but thanks! I was able to get a quality w/o in today while on travel. I travel a lot for work and am always struggling to get non-run workouts in.Thanks again!

That was me.  I've been using the videos a lot lately, and starting to feel like I'm getting some power back after not riding much since the summer.

Also 7 days since my last run, trying to see what's causing hip/glute soreness.  Pain is almost completely gone, so it must be the running!

Anyone doing anything interesting this weekend for training?  2500 yards in the pool, then an hour on the trainer today.  Tomorrow is 1:30 on the trainer.

2013-01-13 6:38 PM
in reply to: #4575611

Anyone doing anything interesting this weekend for training? .

Just an 8 miler on the roads yesterday.

this weeks runs were 3, 4 and 8 miles. I think I'm going to keep my longest run of the week under ten miles until my shorter weekday runs are 4-5 and 6 miles.  

Mediocre week of training this past week - two swims and three runs. I think I'm going to have to do a few morning workouts (runs probably),. I'm a little bummed. Sleep's always at a premium and I'm hating to give up a chunk of what I get.

Swimming - now i'm taking coached practices twice per week through the Masters program. They're 60-80 minutes and include 2900-3200 yards total. there are some technique drill and the second half of the workout is all sprints. They're (for me) fairly brutal. If my goal race is in late July that means that a 20 week training program starts some time in March. Between now and march I'm thinking I should be good to stick with the two coached workouts per week and once, maybe twice per month doing a pure distance workout - like laps for an hour. Then once the 20 weeks starts I'll use a training plan to change the structure and format of my swimming. Sound good? Also, I got a sleeveless wetsuit today. At what temp do you think it's ok to kick the tires on an OWS? Finally, am I understanding correctly that a trisuit is worn from start to finish - it's suitable for all three legs of the race?

Edited by Area Man 2013-01-14 4:47 PM
2013-01-13 9:18 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

In mid-January in Ontario, it should not be possible to wear shorts for a run.  But, this weekend, it was.  I'm not sure whether that makes me happy or sad.

Anyway, I went for a group run on Saturday.  There were supposed to be 5/10/15k options, but somehow everyone ended up doing the 15k.  Happily, it was right on my preferred easy pace.

Sunday, after joining the wife for 2 miles of C25k, I went out for my own 10k run.  I set my watch for heart rate warnings and ran at the Maffetone / top of Friel Z2 rate for the hour, which worked out as an easy pace run according to the various calculators.  It's nice when all the metrics line up.

2013-01-15 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4576716

User image

2013-01-17 4:21 PM

User image

Getting that time of week again...Any big weekend training plans.

Most likely a 1 hour swim and 90 min trainer ride for me.  Not sure I'll get outside for another run this week.

I am meeting with a trainer tomorrow to help me develop a core training program.  Hoping to get something worked into my schedule to try to prevent injury this year.

2013-01-17 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4583295

8-9 miles on the trail early Saturday morning is about it.

Next week I'm going to start getting in a few morning workouts in. My goal is three runs, 2-3 bikes and two swims. If I'm gonna get that done there's going to have to be at least one or two morning workouts. Ugh, sleep is always at a premium.

2013-01-17 9:43 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

Oh, boy, sleep!  That's where I'm a viking!

Sick earlier this week, so I didn't get any workouts in on Monday or Tuesday, but got out to the group run Wednesday morning.  After my ultimate frisbee game tonight I did a mile on the track to try out my new fivefingers - late xmas gift.  They are "interesting" - certainly something that will take some getting used to.  I hope I can get a run or ride in tomorrow, and then I'm off Saturday morning to Cancun for a week - in theory, I should get some open water swims in on the weekend

2013-01-17 10:44 PM

User image

Matt - Mornings are tough but I couldn't get the volume in any other way.  There are just too many variables at the end of the day (work late, bad day, didn't eat right, etc...)  I find mornings are much more consistent.  Unfortunately it take a good 2-3 weeks to get into the swing of a morning routine.

Ted - Have a great vacation!

2013-01-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4583706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
fishwallop - 2013-01-17 10:43 PM

Oh, boy, sleep!  That's where I'm a viking!

Sick earlier this week, so I didn't get any workouts in on Monday or Tuesday, but got out to the group run Wednesday morning.  After my ultimate frisbee game tonight I did a mile on the track to try out my new fivefingers - late xmas gift.  They are "interesting" - certainly something that will take some getting used to.  I hope I can get a run or ride in tomorrow, and then I'm off Saturday morning to Cancun for a week - in theory, I should get some open water swims in on the weekend

Cancun, wouldn't mind going there, though so far we've had a mild winter.

Almost two weeks now since I've run, but have been hitting the bike/swim/kettlebell thing pretty hard.  Glutes still have a slight bit of soreness.  At this point I think I'm ready to try a short run, just to see what happens.

I've read a bit about the minimalist shoe thing, and talked with some experienced runners.  The consensus seems to be to go REALLY gradual into it, if you're planning on doing long distances in them.  Start with like a 1/2 mile, slowly building, while still running in other shoes.

Also it seems to work for some people, but not others.  Some get more injuries, some less.  Best thing is to not push it, you can have a real set back overdoing it.

So continuing my bike push, I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria, starting next Saturday, 1/26.  Just got the last few videos last night, to complete the collection.  Tried HHNF this morning using HRM only (at the gym on a spin bike).  Using heart rate was interesting, it didn't seem as hard as other videos.

2013-01-18 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4584381

Regular
Toronto, ON
tcj103 - 2013-01-18 11:33 AM 

Cancun, wouldn't mind going there, though so far we've had a mild winter.

Open-water swims at the resort are not wetsuit-legal Laughing

I'm told the beach at the resort is a mile long; I'll be lucky to do one lap in any given swim.

I've read a bit about the minimalist shoe thing, and talked with some experienced runners.  The consensus seems to be to go REALLY gradual into it, if you're planning on doing long distances in them.  Start with like a 1/2 mile, slowly building, while still running in other shoes.

Also it seems to work for some people, but not others.  Some get more injuries, some less.  Best thing is to not push it, you can have a real set back overdoing it.

So I've heard.  My focus isn't actually becoming a minimalist runner, but cleaning up some of my heel-strike tendency. I've been walking around in the shoes a bit too.  Last night, the first half-mile was at something like 12:00 / mile, but at that speed I don't think I'd be running at my normal gait even in my usual shoes, so I sped up a bit and did the next lap at my standard easy pace (9:55/mile) and the next lap at a tempo pace (~ 8:30/mile) just to get a sense of how they felt.  I don't think I'll be going more than a mile in them at a time for the next couple of weeks, and I'll be doing the vast majority of my running in my normal shoes.

I was considering running on the beach at the resort, but decided I'd stick to the paths.  I don't want to risk turning an ankle.

So continuing my bike push, I'm doing the Tour of Sufferlandria, starting next Saturday, 1/26.  Just got the last few videos last night, to complete the collection.  Tried HHNF this morning using HRM only (at the gym on a spin bike).  Using heart rate was interesting, it didn't seem as hard as other videos.

I love HHNF, except when I'm actually doing it, and especially except when I'm in the time trial at the end. I think the perceived exertion is lower because the intervals are longer (2x20+3:30) and there's no way you can bust out 140% for blocks like that.

2013-01-20 1:33 AM
in reply to: #4584432

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
fishwallop - 2013-01-18 11:50 AM

I was considering running on the beach at the resort, but decided I'd stick to the paths.  I don't want to risk turning an ankle.

I will be in Miami / Ft Lauderdale for a week in Feb and was planning on doing some beach running. I think as long as you stay on the hard pack you should be fine.

In other news I got an email from Honey Stinger that they will be sponsoring me for the year as part of their "Hive team" get some good discounts on their products. If any hasn't tried their stuff you should check out their waffles, I think they taste just like a fresh waffle cone from the ice cream shop.

2013-01-20 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4563044

User image

Regular
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Silver member
All,
My apologies...not used to being in a group. Anyone know how to link this chat group to my "blog" page? This will help me remember.

Fishwallop "I realize I should work on it and that it will improve my swim and my position on the bike, but so far, it just ain't happening. Anyone have any creative ways of building core muscle?"

A weakness for me as well...just don't enjoy it. I tend to binge my core workouts..not good. To get started and do a "little" what I have done was: before bed I mandated 10 Push ups, 20 Set ups. The next 2 weeks 13 Push ups, 23 Set ups, the next 3 Weeks 16 push ups and 26 set ups. After this, adding 2-3 push ups and set ups a week. (Takes less than 15 min before bed)
I know this is really simple, but it tricked me into doing "something" since I am not big on strength training. Once I started seeing progress from this "little" something before bed, it was easier to actually do core workouts.
In addition, the slow build up will help prevent injury.

You may be way past this now...if you have figured out the secret..let me know too!

sar
2013-01-20 11:46 PM
in reply to: #4566198

User image

Regular
Silver member
Ybeal,

I believe fishwallop is correct.

1. Volume is a big deal. What I have noticed from the BT plans is that most are not catered to the "older" crowd. At 49 (me) I have to watch my volume closely or I will clearly suffer for it. I pretty much follow the 10% rule (no more than 10% increase in volume per week (or two). BT plans make some "assumptions" that are not tailored to those over 40 (definitely NOT saying your over 40).
2. He is also correct that our cardiovascular system adapts considerably faster than other aspects (strength, joints, tendons, ligaments). What is really important here is the "rest" we take. This is the rebuilding and adaptation phase..again, too much distance over too much time is a problem.
3. There are a myriad of other issues: genetics, foot strike, weight (this is a big one..no pun intended), equipment that effect our injury potential.

Some thoughts:

1. Let pain be your guide. If you need to back off, please do so. Many of us get discouraged with injury and it can be a long road back. This is definitely an "ounce of prevention issue"
2. Consider icing your legs after a run. This can make a big difference in both healing time and pain management
3. http://gizmodo.com/5902699/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-mag...
--this is a pretty good exercise. Alternatively you can slip your feet underneath the couch or heavy in-table and gently lift your feet up (as if you were going to lift the couch or in-table up), s.l.o.w.l.y do 10 reps. Lift up slowly, hold for 5 seconds, then relax. Do this 10-15 times, then rest for about 10min to 10 hours, and do it again. 3-4 reps a day and shin splints should not be an issue. NOTE: you are not actually trying to lift the couch or in-table..just pushing up with firm pressure.)

sar
2013-01-23 4:21 AM
in reply to: #4587408

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

clinicisopen - 2013-01-21 12:26 AM All, My apologies...not used to being in a group. Anyone know how to link this chat group to my "blog" page? This will help me remember. ...

Not sure how to link it to a blog, but there is a "toggle email notification" button at the bottom of the page; using that, the site will send you an email with a link, anytime someone posts to the group.

It is cold here in the northeast!  14 deg F outside right now.

2013-01-23 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4590543

User image

Regular
Silver member
Thank you! I did manage to get it on my training log, but I think the email toggle will work better.

Yeah, I see that the North-East is getting hit hard..sorry. Good day to heat things up on the spinner.

Be safe and stay warm

sar
2013-01-23 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4590543

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
tcj103 - 2013-01-23 5:21 AM

It is cold here in the northeast!  14 deg F outside right now.

I waited till it warmed up some before doing my lunch time run. Went out when it was about 19*.

Edited by wolfador 2013-01-23 3:21 PM

2013-01-27 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

I'm two days, and three stages into Tour of Sufferlandria.  Pretty much going with 90% of FTP, since this is a stage race.  That and I'm not going to stop doing everything else, if possible. 

How is everyone's training going?  If you're doing this as part of New Years Resolution, this is when it's gut-check time if you've slipped out of a routine. 

I'm also battling a glute issue, which fortunately doesn't seem to be affected by biking, or even squats.  Whatever it is, it takes running a few miles to feel it.  Multisport training is great for this when you have injury issues, you can work around these kinds of injuries by leaning on other exercises.

2013-01-27 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Just finished stage 3 of the Tour of Sufferlandia.

Also found out that as an LA Fitness member I can go to Urban Active gyms and there is one 3 miles from work with a pool. Can start some lunch time swims now.

2013-01-28 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4596908

Regular
Toronto, ON

tcj103 - 2013-01-27 6:52 PM

How is everyone's training going?  If you're doing this as part of New Years Resolution, this is when it's gut-check time if you've slipped out of a routine. 

Just back from vacation.  No biking.  (Had I not been out of town, I'd have been doing the Tour).

Somehow I managed to run 30k over the course of the week (a lap of the resort being just over 2 miles).  I also got into the water for the first time in months; in addition to the 100-yard pools with swim-up bars, the resort had a nice 25-yard lap pool with several marked lanes and, of course, the Carribean sea.  I only did one proper open-water swim, and it was less than 1000 yards, because I only managed to find someone to swim with the one time.  Being in the sea swimming over the coral reef and staring at the fishes doesn't count since it wasn't employing any racing techniques, although at least it helped me get comfortable with swell.

What was nice, though, was to work through some of the Total Immersion drill sequences in the big pools.  I'm a long way from having a smooth crawl, especially since I can't get the timing right for breathing, and perhaps because after every few drills I found myself next to the swim-up bar.  Still, there's plenty of time to work on it before my tri season begins in June (and plenty of time to lose the several extra pounds a week of all-you-can eat added on).

2013-02-01 5:49 PM

Regular
Toronto, ON

Summer triathlon season seems so far away.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ted's TriMonkeys 2013 - CLOSED / FULL Rss Feed  

of 5