2012-12-23 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4545512

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Recent Gun Purchases
gearboy - 2012-12-22 8:59 PM

Left Brain - 2012-12-22 9:19 PM

This is exactly right!!  And, unfortunately, the reason gun owners are absolutely unwilling to compromise.  The amount of ignorance with regard to guns and ammunition, coupled with the outright lying about anything firearm related, and what do you  have? ...... Gun owners just laughing at the other side because it's so blatantly ridiculous.  

I wish it wasn't so, but you better go ahead and arm yourself if you want to be able to protect yourself from your perceived danger.....I can't see gun owners giving way to this nonsense.

Then I guess there is nothing to say, if there is no willingness to compromise.

Compromise on my Constitutional rights? No, absolutely not. You willing to give up your right to vote in exchange? You know, just for the sake of compromise? You're not giving up a damn thing, just demanding others do.

Edited by mdg2003 2012-12-23 7:07 PM

2012-12-23 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4546302

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
mdg2003 - 2012-12-23 7:06 PM compromise on my Constitutional rights? No, absolutely not. You willing to give up your right t vote in exchange? You know, just for the sake of compromise? You're not giving up a damn thing, just demanding others do.

X2 brother!!
2012-12-24 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4546306

User image

Expert
2012-12-24 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4545362

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills
DanielG - 2012-12-22 4:15 PM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 4:24 PM
Left Brain - 2012-12-22 12:41 PM

DanielG - 2012-12-22 8:45 AM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 7:17 AM My wish list would be the banning of high capacity magazines, with a buy-back of any that are out there now; ditto for kevlar-piercing bullets.
This one is something that makes me wonder how honest people are about the ultimate goal of banning firearms. So, you're for banning all hunting rounds. That's not a question, it's a statement. All rifle rounds will penetrate a kevlar vest most worn by police (Class II) Quite a few pistol rounds will as well, some not all that powerful. There are also more than a few that are for banning hollowpoints as well as all rounds that will penetrate a vest, yet they believe there would still be legal ammo over about .22 long rifle and more than one I've said something to ended up with "Okay, ban all ammo" as an answer.

The problem with the crowd that really pushes ammo or gun-control in any measure is that most of them don't have a clue what they are talking about with regard to firearms or ammo.  I think we are stuck with that ignorance.

Only if you are unwilling to provide information to correct common misperceptions. I am not the only person who believes that certain ammo should be banned. If all of it penetrates a vest, then why do vests exist? Why do cops wear them? Why would a person need the kind of firepower that penetrates vests if they are hunting (I cannot imagine it is needed to shoot at paper targets or clay pigeons)? Maybe if you can document the need for a higher degree of penetration (e.g. I am hunting elephants; or the fence failed and the raptors have gotten loose in the park), you can obtain a waiver for "legitimate use" rather than just having the firepower to take down the Chicago PD because you just want to have it.

I must assume you're either kidding or intentionally being dense as all those are answered regularly without having to resort to your hyperbole of raptors or elephants. Notice I said "All rifle rounds" That means even the anemic .223 (Illegal for deer in quite a few states because it's not powerful enough), the not much better 7.62x39, .270 (good deer, marginal elk, NOT moose round), .308 (one of the most popular deer rounds made), .30-06 (M1 Garand, another rather popular round, good for most things in N America but not even close to being an elephant round), etc. No real firepower involved, as I said, ALL (or close enough) rifle rounds penetrate vests cops wear. M1 Carbine and .22 long rifle as well as rifles made for pistol calibers are the only exceptions to that. Ignorance is one thing, that can be corrected with training or teaching. Willful ignorance and flat out lying to make political points are the primary new sources about these things and you seem to have a learning block about it because all of this has been in at least one thread previously. Vests are to stop pistol rounds. The rifle round vests are too bulky and plain hot to wear regularly, those are what SWAT teams wear for raids. Willful ignorance, lying to push a political agenda or a learning block about this topic are the only reasons I can think of that any intelligent person wouldn't have any clue about it, considering how much information has been in newspapers, online, in chat groups, on forums. Hell, asking without all the hyperbole would answer a lot of those questions. Blathering on about raptors and elephants only suggest you're not even willing to have a serious discussion and probably aren't really interested in facts regarding what you're willing to ban just because it sounds bad.

To be completely honest, I appreciate that you spent a little bit of time explaining some things in with your sarcasm.  I did not know some of the things you explained. I do not think it makes me willfully ignorant.  I did not know a great deal about bike training when I started here.  I came here as a swimmer.  But through many posts of explaining and reasons for things I learned.  Just a bit of educating goes a long way.  I understand that you may be tired of explaining, but there are more people watching and reading than who you are fighting with....

I would like to just have a conversation and get some feedback without the usual BS from both sides.

2012-12-24 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4545512

User image

gearboy - 2012-12-22 6:59 PM

Left Brain - 2012-12-22 9:19 PM

This is exactly right!!  And, unfortunately, the reason gun owners are absolutely unwilling to compromise.  The amount of ignorance with regard to guns and ammunition, coupled with the outright lying about anything firearm related, and what do you  have? ...... Gun owners just laughing at the other side because it's so blatantly ridiculous.  

I wish it wasn't so, but you better go ahead and arm yourself if you want to be able to protect yourself from your perceived danger.....I can't see gun owners giving way to this nonsense.

Then I guess there is nothing to say, if there is no willingness to compromise.

So in your world "compromise" means one side takes and the other side gives?

Don't feel bad gearboy, you have the same thoughts on compromise as the President does.

2012-12-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4546776

User image

Elite

magic - 2012-12-24 8:55 AM http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-as... good read on this topic

Thanks, that is a really good read. Nice to see it in print.

2012-12-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4546818

User image

crusevegas - 2012-12-24 11:52 AM

So in your world "compromise" means one side takes and the other side gives?

Don't feel bad gearboy, you have the same thoughts on compromise as the President does.

Since 1934 that's what those who want to ban all firearms believes the word means.

Might even be convinced it was since 1911 and the Sullivan Act.

2012-12-24 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4546796

User image

AddysDaddy - 2012-12-24 8:20 AM
DanielG - 2012-12-22 4:15 PM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 4:24 PM
Left Brain - 2012-12-22 12:41 PM

DanielG - 2012-12-22 8:45 AM
gearboy - 2012-12-22 7:17 AM My wish list would be the banning of high capacity magazines, with a buy-back of any that are out there now; ditto for kevlar-piercing bullets.
This one is something that makes me wonder how honest people are about the ultimate goal of banning firearms. So, you're for banning all hunting rounds. That's not a question, it's a statement. All rifle rounds will penetrate a kevlar vest most worn by police (Class II) Quite a few pistol rounds will as well, some not all that powerful. There are also more than a few that are for banning hollowpoints as well as all rounds that will penetrate a vest, yet they believe there would still be legal ammo over about .22 long rifle and more than one I've said something to ended up with "Okay, ban all ammo" as an answer.

The problem with the crowd that really pushes ammo or gun-control in any measure is that most of them don't have a clue what they are talking about with regard to firearms or ammo.  I think we are stuck with that ignorance.

Only if you are unwilling to provide information to correct common misperceptions. I am not the only person who believes that certain ammo should be banned. If all of it penetrates a vest, then why do vests exist? Why do cops wear them? Why would a person need the kind of firepower that penetrates vests if they are hunting (I cannot imagine it is needed to shoot at paper targets or clay pigeons)? Maybe if you can document the need for a higher degree of penetration (e.g. I am hunting elephants; or the fence failed and the raptors have gotten loose in the park), you can obtain a waiver for "legitimate use" rather than just having the firepower to take down the Chicago PD because you just want to have it.

I must assume you're either kidding or intentionally being dense as all those are answered regularly without having to resort to your hyperbole of raptors or elephants. Notice I said "All rifle rounds" That means even the anemic .223 (Illegal for deer in quite a few states because it's not powerful enough), the not much better 7.62x39, .270 (good deer, marginal elk, NOT moose round), .308 (one of the most popular deer rounds made), .30-06 (M1 Garand, another rather popular round, good for most things in N America but not even close to being an elephant round), etc. No real firepower involved, as I said, ALL (or close enough) rifle rounds penetrate vests cops wear. M1 Carbine and .22 long rifle as well as rifles made for pistol calibers are the only exceptions to that. Ignorance is one thing, that can be corrected with training or teaching. Willful ignorance and flat out lying to make political points are the primary new sources about these things and you seem to have a learning block about it because all of this has been in at least one thread previously. Vests are to stop pistol rounds. The rifle round vests are too bulky and plain hot to wear regularly, those are what SWAT teams wear for raids. Willful ignorance, lying to push a political agenda or a learning block about this topic are the only reasons I can think of that any intelligent person wouldn't have any clue about it, considering how much information has been in newspapers, online, in chat groups, on forums. Hell, asking without all the hyperbole would answer a lot of those questions. Blathering on about raptors and elephants only suggest you're not even willing to have a serious discussion and probably aren't really interested in facts regarding what you're willing to ban just because it sounds bad.

To be completely honest, I appreciate that you spent a little bit of time explaining some things in with your sarcasm.  I did not know some of the things you explained. I do not think it makes me willfully ignorant.  I did not know a great deal about bike training when I started here.  I came here as a swimmer.  But through many posts of explaining and reasons for things I learned.  Just a bit of educating goes a long way.  I understand that you may be tired of explaining, but there are more people watching and reading than who you are fighting with....

I would like to just have a conversation and get some feedback without the usual BS from both sides.

Excellent post AD. I think and I'm not speaking for Daniel but the issue I have is with people making statements that are wrong, ignorant and ask for legislation that just makes NO sense whatsoever.

Daniel knows a lot more about firearms than I do and calibers but just a bit of info that I'm aware of.

Most of the "assault" rifles/weapons that people are so upset about are a 5.56 round which is basically the same a a .223 round. For all practical purposes they are rounds that are suitable for "varmint" hunting, things like coyotes, groundhogs and similar animals. I believe in a lot of states they are not allowed for deer hunting because they are not powerful enough and will cause many deer to end up being wounded instead of killed.

Regarding the vests that police officers use and again I'm speaking with limited knowledge and others could answer this better but the majority of police wear a Kevlar or similar type vest that is designed to stop most handgun rounds. Most rifle rounds including the .223 aka 5.56 are capable of penetrating the Kevlar. The big difference between the rifle and pistol is the amount of powered propelling the round and generating speed out of the end of the barrel. Another factor in determining bullet speed is barrel length, the longer the barrel the more speed. This is just a thumb nail view but most of your pistol ammo will generate about 1,000 feet per second out of the barrel, give or take a few hundred ft. per sec. Rifle speed will vary more widely but if you said between 2,000 and 3,000 ft per second you will cover the vast majority.

Again, great question AD, I hope others will expand on this and if I have any of this wrong will correct it.

2012-12-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4546776

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills

magic - 2012-12-24 9:55 AM http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-as... good read on this topic

That was worth the read, thank you.

2012-12-24 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4546830

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills

<snip>

Excellent post AD. I think and I'm not speaking for Daniel but the issue I have is with people making statements that are wrong, ignorant and ask for legislation that just makes NO sense whatsoever.

Daniel knows a lot more about firearms than I do and calibers but just a bit of info that I'm aware of.

Most of the "assault" rifles/weapons that people are so upset about are a 5.56 round which is basically the same a a .223 round. For all practical purposes they are rounds that are suitable for "varmint" hunting, things like coyotes, groundhogs and similar animals. I believe in a lot of states they are not allowed for deer hunting because they are not powerful enough and will cause many deer to end up being wounded instead of killed.

Regarding the vests that police officers use and again I'm speaking with limited knowledge and others could answer this better but the majority of police wear a Kevlar or similar type vest that is designed to stop most handgun rounds. Most rifle rounds including the .223 aka 5.56 are capable of penetrating the Kevlar. The big difference between the rifle and pistol is the amount of powered propelling the round and generating speed out of the end of the barrel. Another factor in determining bullet speed is barrel length, the longer the barrel the more speed. This is just a thumb nail view but most of your pistol ammo will generate about 1,000 feet per second out of the barrel, give or take a few hundred ft. per sec. Rifle speed will vary more widely but if you said between 2,000 and 3,000 ft per second you will cover the vast majority.

Again, great question AD, I hope others will expand on this and if I have any of this wrong will correct it.

Thank you.  I grew up in Illinois with a single mother who was against guns.  I had not fired my first gun until a few years ago and to be honest have been pretty intimidated.  My Step Sons have been hunters and I encourage it, not all out you must go hunting, but that they learn about it and how to be safe, etc. ( I rely on my FIL and Cousins in Michigan to help with this).

2012-12-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4546830

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

crusevegas - For all practical purposes they are rounds that are suitable for "varmint" hunting, things like coyotes, groundhogs and similar animals. I believe in a lot of states they are not allowed for deer hunting because they are not powerful enough and will cause many deer to end up being wounded instead of killed.

.223 cartridges are allowed in Pennsylvania for deer hunting, but I don't know anyone who uses it or would use it. I wouldn't.  

That's for exactly the reason you said, it's not powerful enough.  There's a high risk of simply wounding the deer.

2012-12-24 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4546841

User image

Elite
dontracy - 2012-12-24 10:24 AM

crusevegas - For all practical purposes they are rounds that are suitable for "varmint" hunting, things like coyotes, groundhogs and similar animals. I believe in a lot of states they are not allowed for deer hunting because they are not powerful enough and will cause many deer to end up being wounded instead of killed.

.223 cartridges are allowed in Pennsylvania for deer hunting, but I don't know anyone who uses it or would use it. I wouldn't.  

That's for exactly the reason you said, it's not powerful enough.  There's a high risk of simply wounding the deer.

Wow, that is really surprising. You would have to have a perfect shot. The smallest cartridge for deer I have seen is a .243 Win. But I am not a hunter, nor do I know every state.

2012-12-24 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4546853

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

powerman - Wow, that is really surprising. You would have to have a perfect shot. The smallest cartridge for deer I have seen is a .243 Win. But I am not a hunter, nor do I know every state.

Regs in PA allow any centerfire cartridge for deer or bear hunting.

.243 is the smallest I know anyone to actually use.

The most popular ones seem to be .30-06 and 12 gauge slugs.
You can also use buckshot in special regulation areas surrounding Philly and Pittsburgh where there is an extended doe season after Christmas. 

Semi-auto rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not allowed for deer or bear hunting.  

Semi-auto shotguns are allowed for turkey, waterfowl, and small game such as squirrel, rabbits and upland birds.

The big controversy here is about hunting on Sundays.
It's currently not allowed.
Given the changes to family life, many feel that allowing hunting on Sundays will help to bring more young people into the sport 

Edited by dontracy 2012-12-24 12:01 PM
2012-12-24 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4546796

User image

AddysDaddy - 2012-12-24 11:20 AM

I've got no problem with you at all and you were not included in willfully ignorant. You have not been demanding legal changes with wrong information as your basis. You seem to be actually looking for information prior to having a strong opinion either way. No issues with that at all.

But this is also a thread started with what kind of purchases have we made recently so I'll add to that as well.

Got a few thousand rounds of .45 out of my Dillon and I had to restock primers, powder and bullets.
Got a few hundred .338 Winchester Magnum rounds now. I guess if I want a "one caliber for everything" that's not a bad one to have

2012-12-24 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4544625

User image

Pro
Tejas
.338 Win magnum. Clearly that's an anti-tank weapon round...Surprised
2012-12-24 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4546868

User image

Expert
Central Mass
dontracy - 2012-12-24 10:00 AM

powerman - Wow, that is really surprising. You would have to have a perfect shot. The smallest cartridge for deer I have seen is a .243 Win. But I am not a hunter, nor do I know every state.

You can also use buckshot in special regulation areas surrounding Philly and Pittsburgh where there is an extended doe season after Christmas. 

Semi-auto rifles, shotguns, and pistols are not allowed for deer or bear hunting.  

Semi-auto shotguns are allowed for turkey, waterfowl, and small game such as squirrel, rabbits and upland birds.

Given the changes to family life, many feel that allowing hunting on Sundays will help to bring more young people into the sport 

In Mass, you can't hunt deer with a rifle at all.  Bow, Shotgun, or "primitive firearm" - a primitive to Mass is a muzzle loader, so it could actually be a rifle.

But you can use a rifle over .23 (so no .223) for a bear (or a muzzle loader, or a 40lb bow, or a 357 mag+ pistol).  Not a shotgun though lol.

And you can't hunt on Sundays here either.  But this is MA, and they are wacky.

2012-12-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4547004

User image

Elite
scorpio516 - 2012-12-24 12:52 PM
dontracy - 2012-12-24 10:00 AM

In Mass, you can't hunt deer with a rifle at all.  Bow, Shotgun, or "primitive firearm" - a primitive to Mass is a muzzle loader, so it could actually be a rifle.

But you can use a rifle over .23 (so no .223) for a bear (or a muzzle loader, or a 40lb bow, or a 357 mag+ pistol).  Not a shotgun though lol.

And you can't hunt on Sundays here either.  But this is MA, and they are wacky.

I'm sorry... that makes no sense what so ever. Not saying you made the law.... but your legislature would rather have an animal killed by a arrow or a inaccurate big ball of lead than a precise shot.

2012-12-24 2:44 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Does the MA rule have something to do with max range? I think muzzleloaders max range is like 1/2 mile. 30.06 can go about 6 miles.

Arrows probably only go a few hundred yards.
2012-12-25 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Beijing

Back to the topic at hand:   While not a purchase, I *did* recently inherit one of these: A WWI-era m1917.  It was my grandfather's (I'm not sure when he acquired it) It's a S&W model in .45 ACP.  It's a nice little piece of history.   My uncle is keeping it in his safe for me until I return from China.  I'll add it to my Marlin Model 39 and an old Brazilian ERA 12-guage.  (I love this gun because you open it by pulling on the trigger guard.   You hand it to someone and ask them to open it and they generally have NO IDEA how to get it open.  A little but of knurling on the front of the trigger-guard is the only clue)

Edited to get the correct war!

Edited by moondawg14 2012-12-25 8:12 PM
2012-12-26 9:26 PM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI

Do ammo purchased count? If so, I found some great deals on brass and bullets lately. Shooting is much more fun (and cheaper) when you can custom load rounds for different purposes for each firearm and the wife and kid like to shoot too.

We shoot about 300 rounds a week.

7,62x39

7,62x54

Except for the post-election AK's that have doubled in value, everything else has been in the safe for awhile.

2012-12-26 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4549194

User image

Elite
firstnet911 - 2012-12-26 8:26 PM

Do ammo purchased count? If so, I found some great deals on brass and bullets lately. Shooting is much more fun (and cheaper) when you can custom load rounds for different purposes for each firearm and the wife and kid like to shoot too.

7,62x39

7,62x54

Except for the post-election AK's that have doubled in value, everything else has been in the safe for awhile.

So help me out... what's the break even on that. How much do you have to shoot, to pay for all the equipment?

2012-12-26 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4549194

User image

Elite
Woops

Edited by powerman 2012-12-26 10:12 PM
2012-12-27 12:11 AM
in reply to: #4549231

User image

Master
Beijing
powerman - 2012-12-25 11:11 PM

7,62x39

7,62x54

So help me out... what's the break even on that. How much do you have to shoot, to pay for all the equipment?

At 300 rounds per week the payback could be pretty quick!

http://www.about-shooting.com/Why_Reload.php

(I don't reload but I did when I was in college.  My school had a gun club and so we'd reload thousands of rounds before each outing.)

2012-12-27 1:57 AM

User image

powerman - 2012-12-26 11:11 PM

7,62x39

7,62x54

I've got a Dillon. One of the first things I noticed is you never "break even", you just shoot more

2012-12-27 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
powerman - 2012-12-26 10:11 PM

7,62x39

7,62x54

All depends on your equipment and what rounds you are loading. I started with a Lee single stage press kit for about $100 with another $100 in dies and a manuals and associated other items.

Later I added the ability to cast bullets from old lead for another $100.

I can load 9mm plinking loads for less than a dime and match grade rounds for the rifle for about 50 cents a round.

The ability to sit back and relax as everyone pays panic prices for ammo these days is priceless.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Recent Gun Purchases Rss Feed  

of 4