BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-09-23 8:25 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
Been really burnt up on the bike for the last week. Had to cut two rides short... first was supposed to be 2x20' @ 260w, (which should have been 7-8 rpe) got to about 7' in and was having trouble holding so cut it to 2x10' and then yesterday was supposed to get 3 hours and cut it down to 2 and felt like I was pedaling squares the whole time. bleh

Swimming and running at least are still going well.

2013-09-24 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by Clempson

First place CAT5 at the road race today, also won the series KOM for CAT5.  Got a nice duffle bag filled with body/bike/chain wipes from Global Bike and a cool polka dot Hincapie jersey for the KOM.  

Road off the front of the pack after the first KOM checkpoint with 30 miles to go, kind of coasted downhill to let the pack suck me back in but they never did, so i just set into TT mode.  Ended up adding 30 seconds of day light between me and them each time we went around the 8 mile loop the course was on. Was a hard ride, i was very worried after the first 25 miles that they would catch me and i would be cooked

woah, that's awesome! Grats

i feel like the group gave it to me, my friend who was in the pack said no one was interested in catching me at all and just accepted i was off the front.  oh well. i also read afterwards that in a lot of cases they won't consider a race where you won by riding off the front to count towards your 10 races to cat up to cat4 since you didn't ride in a pack and that's the whole point of cat5 racing. 

that's the best way to look at it imo. I was told I could cat up after the SRS race, but I stayed down in 5 because I think I still need the practice. On the other hand, most races that are small group 4's and 5's together, so not a whole lot different.

yea, im pretty sure the CAT5 group finished with a faster time than the CAT4's and 3's.. but that doesn't always mean anything, could have been a lot more attacks in those groups.  I hope to do some more SRS races next year, at least asheville and greenville.  have to see how far the others are from me.

2013-09-24 7:47 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by jonD81 Got my first podium spot, although it was a weird one. It was pouring all night and all morning here so they changed the swim to a 1.5 mile run. Run/Bike/Run, never done that before, so I had no clue what to expect. I was registered as a clyde because, well because when they have the div I go for it. Went out really slow on the first run because I didn't want to bake my legs for the bike. Roads were slippery on the bike and it was my first ride in legit rain, so I took it kind of easy. Last run I felt good so I just went with hit. Ended up with 3rd place in the Clydesdale division at 1:21:43. First place in my div was 1:14 or something, 2nd was only a minute ahead of me, wish I did that first run a little quicker. Took over 11 minutes off my time from last year and that was with slick roads and now swim.

awesome job! sounds to me it was a solid performance.  im sure you didn't train for a r/b/r so thats even better.  usually you have to be a really strong runner to do well at those races, so your run might be better than you think.

2013-09-25 7:46 AM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. It's cool to get the 3rd place, but I'm just psyched that I'm progressing in everything. My 5k pace was 7:35, which is only a few seconds off my stand alone 5k PR, which I haven't done for almost a year, but still, good to see progress. I think I'm done racing this year as the water and mornings start getting really chilly soon. There's a sprint Sunday I may sign up for last minute, but I kind of like the idea of finishing on a high note.

How long do you guys have left in your seasons? Must be winding down pretty soon. How late into the year do the bike races go?
2013-09-25 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

How long do you guys have left in your seasons? Must be winding down pretty soon. How late into the year do the bike races go?

I'm done other than some running races which go on all year. Looking forward to putting down some serious run mileage and setting some PR's.

Goal now is a mid 18' 5k and a sub 1:25 1/2 marathon. Hopefully should be around there by the end of the year.
2013-09-25 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

First place CAT5 at the road race today, also won the series KOM for CAT5.  Got a nice duffle bag filled with body/bike/chain wipes from Global Bike and a cool polka dot Hincapie jersey for the KOM.  

Road off the front of the pack after the first KOM checkpoint with 30 miles to go, kind of coasted downhill to let the pack suck me back in but they never did, so i just set into TT mode.  Ended up adding 30 seconds of day light between me and them each time we went around the 8 mile loop the course was on. Was a hard ride, i was very worried after the first 25 miles that they would catch me and i would be cooked

woah, that's awesome! Grats

i feel like the group gave it to me, my friend who was in the pack said no one was interested in catching me at all and just accepted i was off the front.  oh well. i also read afterwards that in a lot of cases they won't consider a race where you won by riding off the front to count towards your 10 races to cat up to cat4 since you didn't ride in a pack and that's the whole point of cat5 racing. 

that's the best way to look at it imo. I was told I could cat up after the SRS race, but I stayed down in 5 because I think I still need the practice. On the other hand, most races that are small group 4's and 5's together, so not a whole lot different.

yea, im pretty sure the CAT5 group finished with a faster time than the CAT4's and 3's.. but that doesn't always mean anything, could have been a lot more attacks in those groups.  I hope to do some more SRS races next year, at least asheville and greenville.  have to see how far the others are from me.

Cat5 races are usually faster than 4/3 because it's a bit more nervous and there are less tactics (that is... sitting around in the pack)

2013-09-25 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by jonD81How long do you guys have left in your seasons? Must be winding down pretty soon. How late into the year do the bike races go?

have my last triathlon of the year this sunday, was voted the #1 best/funnest race in SC last year.  1000m/21m/7k; wetsuit legal, flat/rolling bike, completely flat run.  should be fun and fast.

doing a run race at the end of october... looking at my run volume i think its going to be a half marathon instead of a full.

not sure there are many more bike races, every weekend around here seems to have some kind of huge organized charity ride though.  Hincapie granfondo is at the end of october, supposed to be a lot of fun, but is the same morning as my run race.

2013-09-25 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
We have running races year round up here too, but a lot of them past Nov are hit or miss in regards to snow and cold, althoguh I did do a 10k on New Years last year and it was nice out. I'm doing a HM at the end of October and I'm thinking a full in the spring. This was my first full season of racing and training and I think I learned a ton. I know I have to really kick my butt in the bike and swim this winter and just keep the mileage up on the run. I still feel like if I can shed a few more pounds (think I lost about 10 just from training and racing this season) I could really make some good gains. Have you guys ever done a full on indoor tri? The local Latitude (large gym chain) have half a dozen indoor sprint tris in the winter. Might check them out just for fun.
2013-09-29 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

4th overall at my race this morning to end my tri season.  

finished 1st among the age groupers and 4 minutes behind the first place finisher overall, who is also the fastest guy in the state at the moment racing short course.  he got all that time on me in the swim. my bike/run splits were both faster than his, and afterwards he checked to see if i'd be racing open/elite next year... got to work on my swim in the off season... 

great end to the season for me, solidified my win of the south carolina triathlon series among my AG and all AG racers.  hope everyone else is out there getting in some good races before it gets too cold.

2013-09-29 7:26 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
awesome! I'm trying to squeeze out some extra time in my swim myself... for some reason it gets harder to find speed the faster you get haha

Building my P3 I have decided to go "Aero or Die" and bought some old Scott 100k bars. Hoping to do more aero and less die
2013-09-29 8:18 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by Leegoocrap awesome! I'm trying to squeeze out some extra time in my swim myself... for some reason it gets harder to find speed the faster you get haha Building my P3 I have decided to go "Aero or Die" and bought some old Scott 100k bars. Hoping to do more aero and less die

yea the amount of effort it takes to increase my 100 pace by 10 seconds is crazy.

100k's eh? i definitely want to see this build, sounds like its going to be a pretty edition to a nice bike collection you already have.  im thinking of building a bike this off season, but for road racing/crits; going Chinese carbon i think with full SRAM Red.

2013-09-30 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Awesome season man. That's cool that you're popping up on everyone's radar now too. You're going to be one hell of a force next year.

Another downfall of kids, yesterday I stubbed my toe on some table he has laying around and at first I just thought it was nothing, then my toe turned black/blue and looked like it wanted to fall off. Awesome. Never done something so stupid in my entire life. I don't think it's broken, but it looks like a grape just sitting on my foot. I have a HM coming up in a month which may get a little tricky now. Just hoping the bike and swim doesn't hurt so I can at least keep active.
2013-09-30 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
ouch, doesn't sound good. does it hurt to put weight on it?  i agree swimming/cycling should be ok while it heals as long as it doesn't get bothered too bad
2013-10-01 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Sunday it looked like it was going to fall off but I iced it down and it went back to normal size. Still black and blue but not as much pain. I did a swim yesterday and it felt fine. I'll probably push my run out one more day to Thursday just to be safe, but bike should be fine.

Popular HIM race near me opened registration today. Price stays the same until 10/31/13. I have a HM on 10/27, so maybe depending on how that goes I may register. I wish I had someone doing it with me just to do some of the rides with.
2013-10-01 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

when is the next one? im sure you will have plenty of time to improve after this one, and a bad race will teach you more about racing a 70.3 than a good one will.

committed to running a marathon at the end of the month... will be my first.  after several months of 30 mile weeks i have some work to do. going to do an 18 mile run this weekend... then another 3 days later and try to fatigue train for this thing.  taper will have to be a 15 mile run two weeks out and an 8 mile run the weekend before.  

hope this works. its not my aerobic base that needs work, its my legs running for 3+ hours without falling apart.

2013-10-01 9:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
I definitely have some time, but I want to get an idea of what I want to go after next year. I know I'd like to do some sprints and definitely step up to Olympic distance, it's whether I make the jump to a half or not that will get me. Realistically, the training time required for a HIM might be the limiting factor. I love putting in the time, it's just a matter of finding that time. I definitely know how to prepare better for a race now. This season was all about learning for me. Now I feel like I know how to race within myself.

I think that's the most intriguing thing about longer distances, dealing with how your body will feel after 2/3/4 hours of constant "go". I'm sure you'll kill your marathon. An 18 mile training run doesn't sound all that fun to me though...

Edited by jonD81 2013-10-01 9:07 PM

2013-10-02 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by jonD81

Sunday it looked like it was going to fall off but I iced it down and it went back to normal size. Still black and blue but not as much pain. I did a swim yesterday and it felt fine. I'll probably push my run out one more day to Thursday just to be safe, but bike should be fine.

Popular HIM race near me opened registration today. Price stays the same until 10/31/13. I have a HM on 10/27, so maybe depending on how that goes I may register. I wish I had someone doing it with me just to do some of the rides with.

ouch! I've done some boneheaded stuff like that before. Whacked myself in the knee with my mallet one time (just swinging it around like a moron)

:P Sign up! The great motivator!
2013-10-02 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

when is the next one? im sure you will have plenty of time to improve after this one, and a bad race will teach you more about racing a 70.3 than a good one will.

committed to running a marathon at the end of the month... will be my first.  after several months of 30 mile weeks i have some work to do. going to do an 18 mile run this weekend... then another 3 days later and try to fatigue train for this thing.  taper will have to be a 15 mile run two weeks out and an 8 mile run the weekend before.  

hope this works. its not my aerobic base that needs work, its my legs running for 3+ hours without falling apart.

Have fun with that :P I can honestly say I've never had the urge to suffer an open full marathon.
2013-10-02 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

:P Sign up! The great motivator!

I was thinking along those lines at one point, but I want to do well. "Well" is obviously different for everyone, as my well is on a totally different spectrum than the times you guys would consider well, and I don't know if I have the time to train for a HIM and finish how I want. I'm not huge into the idea of doing a race just to finish. I want to be moving at a good pace and that pace is determined by what I can accomplish in training, and my first instinct is that I don't have enough time for the 2-3 hour bike rides and 2 hour runs that would get me where I want for a HIM. Realistically I think I'd like to really nail a few sprints and gear my training towards my A race being an olympic distance. I can keep that training to about 7-10 hours per week which is all life can afford me right now but still enter a new challenge in distance, which I admit is addicting to want to keep increasing. Sorry for constantly talking out loud about this stuff, I'm pretty sure my wife is sick of hearing my musings over triathlon and my son is only 2 so his feedback isn't always the most appropriate. Thanks.
2013-10-02 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Have fun with that :P I can honestly say I've never had the urge to suffer an open full marathon.

yea.... im being pressured by my coworkers who i run with that are all big into marathons with multiple BQ's. id rather just run the half and be done with it. 

2013-10-05 4:25 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Alright... one year (maybe a little less) to get fast... Going to sign up for Nats.

2013-10-09 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Looks like I might have someone to sign up with me for a HIM next year. He's a runner but the other day we were sitting around and his wife said how it was impressive that I did so many triathlons (she must have had a few drinks, nothing I've done is impressive) and more or less called him a p*ssy and said he could never do the swim. He pretty much asked me on the spot what races I was doing year and I said I wanted to do a HIM and he said he's in. He's done a few marathons and I'm doing my HM with him at the end of the month. I can't see how this won't work out well
2013-10-11 8:59 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
Chris, I just got an email that I got invited to Nationals too.
Very tempting. But my work has our annual Customer appreciation show that weekend every year.

Ran a 10 miler 2 weeks ago and came in 7th or 8th or so, 1:13:00 I was impressed with my time.
My wife and I have been training for this Half marathon this sunday and it is rated one of the top 50 in the nation because the trees are all in great color and it follows the old canal and the river but the only problem is that it is in the National Park, and it has been rescheduled to Nov 3rd, sucks that we were ready to run our first HM and now we have to wait another month.
Ohh well Im going to run 13.5 tomorrow.

I talked my wife into letting me do a HIM next year. I think im going to do Rev3 Cedar Point since its less than 1 hr away. I had tried to talk her into a Full IM but she made a rational point and I said ok to the HIM.

2013-10-15 9:26 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by jonD81 Looks like I might have someone to sign up with me for a HIM next year. He's a runner but the other day we were sitting around and his wife said how it was impressive that I did so many triathlons (she must have had a few drinks, nothing I've done is impressive) and more or less called him a p*ssy and said he could never do the swim. He pretty much asked me on the spot what races I was doing year and I said I wanted to do a HIM and he said he's in. He's done a few marathons and I'm doing my HM with him at the end of the month. I can't see how this won't work out well

thats awesome, having someone else you know training for the same race can help keep you motivated and honest with your workouts.  that said i think your runner friend is in for a swimming surprise haha

2013-10-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: smithat05

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by smithat05 Ran a 10 miler 2 weeks ago and came in 7th or 8th or so, 1:13:00 I was impressed with my time. My wife and I have been training for this Half marathon this sunday and it is rated one of the top 50 in the nation because the trees are all in great color and it follows the old canal and the river but the only problem is that it is in the National Park, and it has been rescheduled to Nov 3rd, sucks that we were ready to run our first HM and now we have to wait another month. Ohh well Im going to run 13.5 tomorrow. I talked my wife into letting me do a HIM next year. I think im going to do Rev3 Cedar Point since its less than 1 hr away. I had tried to talk her into a Full IM but she made a rational point and I said ok to the HIM.

solid 10 mile time.  which HM are you running? i was wanting to do the woodrow wilson HM while i was up in DC a few weeks ago but it got postponed because of the shutdown.. it was rated one of the best to do too

Rev3 puts on a good race, im actually looking at maybe doing 3-4 of their races next year.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39