BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-02-01 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4551230

New user

UK
Subject: RE: Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN

Hi all

First off to Hubbie wow I'm super impressed by your life saving skills, the person you saved was really lucky to have you at the right place at the right time

As we've moved out of January it made me think of what I've achieved this month and what are my goals for Feb.

My achievements are : losing 7lbs, completing 5k jog/walk on the treadmill and completing 20k cycle on a gym stationary bike.

My goals for Feb are : lose 5lbs, ride a bike on the road and improve my jog/walk intervals to 6 min jog and 1 min walk (currently 3min jog/1min walk)

So... what does everyone else think their achievements for Jan were and what are your goals for Feb?

2013-02-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4601606

That is amazing! I dropped my bike off to be tuned and I pick it up on Tuesday and I can learn how to use my wind trainer! The roads are so icy I doubt I can road ride until April.
2013-02-02 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4605748

User image

Veteran

Themangoprincess - 2013-02-02 2:38 PM That is amazing! I dropped my bike off to be tuned and I pick it up on Tuesday and I can learn how to use my wind trainer! The roads are so icy I doubt I can road ride until April.

I used to HATE the trainer but now that I have my DVD's its not so bad. Don't get me wrong, I will take the open road to the trainer any day but with the snow and ice on the ground it's not possible right now.

Beth

2013-03-01 1:41 PM

Hi I am a 43 year oldfemale veteran who has been actively cycling running and swimming for about a year now. I have decided to set my sites on a triathlon in september and could use any advise offered.
2013-03-04 7:03 AM

hey guys...been a few weeks since Ive checked in....    lots of real life drama...nothing traumatic...

Swimming lessons ( 7 weeks) went well...  I progressed a lot and am 90% over my fear of deep water...  I still have a somewhat irrational fear of swimming in open water vs the pool...   Im planning to attend an open water clinic in early May...

I havent really been bikiing at all.... but today I decide on a bike...  I have one picked out online but I wanted to go to a bike shop for one last time before I pull out the credit card....

What I need a a bike training schedule.... start out with XX amount of miles...increase by XX every other day/every week until you get to goal...   Anyone see one around??

the running is going OK...   could be better but none of the tri's I have planned are over 5K so I should do fine...

2013-03-05 11:53 AM

User image

Hi There - Is it still possible to join this group?

I'm a 32 year old mom of two little guys (3 and 1.5 yo) and work a little less than full-time. I've wanted to do a triathlon for awhile, and finally feel like I'm in a place where I am able to commit. My fitness definitely isn't what it was before kids, but I've taken up running again in the last few months, recently signed up for a triathlon-focused swim class (I can swim okay, but until last week, hadn't been in the pool since last summer), and have been trying to make use of the bike trainer in our basement.

I've set my sites on a sprint tri in early August. My biggest challenge is finding time to exercise with the kids and my work schedule, so I'm looking for some inspiration and motivation in that regard, as well as general advice as I enter into this world! I've found this site really helpful in starting to formulate a plan!

2013-03-05 1:28 PM

Hi All.

Name is Kamala. I just signed up to do an olympic tri in september. I don't even know how to swim (!!!). Am I nuts?

Have a 5 yr old, work full time, stressed, and not fit (could lose 20 lbs).

PS Would love to get some recommendations on good swim coaches in northern NJ.

Edited by desigirl 2013-03-05 1:29 PM
2013-03-10 8:13 AM

I'd love to join thi group. Working towards my first sprint Tri in may. Iron girl Atlanta.
2013-03-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4647399

User image

New user

Kamala,

If you literally do not know how to swim, I would not start with an olympic distance. I suggest you start with a sprint or even super sprint (preferably with a pool swim) before you tackle a mile in open water. I have seen several women have to quit or be rescued by lifeguards during the swim because they weren't strong enough swimmers yet to make it the distance.

It's great that you are going to start though - good luck!

Mary

2013-03-10 10:10 AM

User image

New user

Hi all,

I am just starting to formally train for a sprint in May. I have done 4 sprints over the last couple of years and while my swim and run times have improved, my pace on the bike doesn't get any better. How do I speed up - just by biking more? I have done indoor spinning all winter and now can start riding outside with the time change. Last summer I probably only rode about 30-40 miles per week before the tri, so maybe I am just not riding enough?

Thanks!

2013-03-12 9:58 PM

I would love to have another mom as my mentor! I am a stay at home mom to two rowdy preschool boys who I homeschool and I am in school part time. I was a competitive gymnast and then cheerleader all through high school and even made the college squad but had to quit for time for a part time job to work my way through college. I had 2 c-sections and a lot of stressors in the past 5 years that I've overco e and I am so eager to start training and re-claim my body, mind, and overall health. I just need a little nudge and some advice/direction from a mentor and I know I can do this! I'd like to train with a 20week program for a sprint triathlon in the fall. I'm ready, lets do this!Thanks for considering being my mentor =) Mellissa

2013-03-24 4:41 PM

Virginia my name is Cassie, I'm 55 and just finished a girl power Tri in New Orleans. My goal is to place and I panicked when I jumped in the pool. Swallowed water and lost my stroke. I finished 4th so I was able to focus and get my act together. I didn't sleep last and lost focus when I swallowed water. I practiced for months and focused so much on the swim and then panicked. So sad but signed up for 2 more Tri.I need to put myself in the atmosphere so it doesn't freak me out. I normal run 8.30 minutes per mile and I dropped to 9.30 and cycled ok but there was a 25 mile head wind. I want to overcome and not freak. Nerves were jagged not relaxed. I mentally missed the podium. Can you help me? Cas

Edited by CassieForeman 2013-03-24 4:42 PM
2013-10-23 7:12 AM
in reply to: vtate75

Hi all,
Is this still an active group.?
2014-01-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ---

Edited by alainaroche 2014-01-01 12:43 PM
2014-01-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: vtate75

Blevinurself/ Tricia I would like to join the group, I am 40, 41 in Feb.

I am also a mother of four whom works about 30 hours a week and I decided to go back to school with a major in exercise science where I am enrolled full time. I took up running about 8 years ago. Four years ago I was running pretty decent but have declined a lot in the past couple of years due to time constraints and work travel. My work situation has changed and I would like to resume my running and train for a sprint tri that is at the end of April. I also have a 10k planned in Feb and a 5 mile 30 obstacle course planned for Oct. I would also like to put another tri on my calendar later in the year.

My goals are to improve my running ( I have had some issues with my legs hurting but am working through that). Learn to ride efficiently ( I just bought my first road bike at the end of last yearned have only road it a few times) and learn to swim efficiently. I need some guidance on efficient training to make the best use of what little time I have.

In the past I have done numerous 5k, 10k, half marathons, 40 mile bike, and 1 obstacle course.
2014-01-05 11:43 PM
in reply to: Blevinurself

I guess that this group is re-starting, from the looks of it. I would like to join your group.
My name is Erica Walker. live in MS and am a mother of 2 boys ages 6 and 8 years. I work in a hospital 10 hour days for 8 days straight then usually have 6 days off. Now we are short handed so I will be working extra. I also plan to get my older son into boy scouts this year and I bowl 2 nights a week, so time is a problem sometimes. I decided to do my first sprint triathelon. It is a hilly coarse for biking and running, so it will be challenging. I have run some 5 ks and acouple of half marathons. last year I only ran 1 5k and 1 half marathon, but PR'ed both. I bought a Trek bike and began biking last year, but I am still not comfortable on the bike. I plan to join a community college pool to begin swimming soon. That will be my weakest area as I don't swim much and only know how t do the crawl.

2014-02-12 8:04 PM

Hi Virginia!

Ide love to join this group! I am working towards my first Sprint Tri in July but I'm also looking at doing a 10k before then. About me....

Name: Michelle

Age: 29 (would love to get in my first Tri before my 30th!!)

I've been married 10 years this December and we have 3 beautiful girls aged 6, 2 & 9mo old! I'm really working on toning, lots of weight training & abdominals. I hate to admit I just got back into running again (literally just started the couch to 10k)! I have a couple of 5ks under my belt but that's it! I have ALWAYS wanted to do a Tri but injured my hip about a month before the start after my second daughter. I know slow and steady wins the race, so I'm doing everything possible to focus on building strength & endurance nice and steady this time.

One question I have (I'm running 3x a week) I read to increase your running by only 10% increments each week. Do you agree with this? I have always been a swimmer more so then a runner, so I'm not terribly worried about that but I want to get with a trainer to focus me on "race terminology" any suggestions? Biking at the moment is indoor cycling classes but plan to get outside once we have no snow on the roads.

Thanks for listening & hope to get to know some of you here!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mommy Tri Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 10