Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any scuba divers out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-28 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Subject: Any scuba divers out there?

Just sitting in the sun room on a cold, wet, and dreary day.      All I bought for myself this holiday were the parts I needed to put a cracker engineered hookah system together.    I bought an oil-less air compressor from Lowes, an adjustable second stage to serve as the hookah regulator and 30 feet of air hose, which I didn't skimp on and was the most important part.     I bought the few fittings to adapt the two hose systems together along with the appropriate filters.    This system is good for one diver down to about 5 meters or so.     It's to use when I'm on my sailboat.   It's better than keeping tanks on the boat as my boat is only 20 feet LOA.

If the weather is nice this weekend I'll try it out at the sailing club.  

Dreaming of taking it to Florida on MLK weekend.   Do some float diving and communing with Manatees.       Crystal River or there about.

P.S.    I do know what I'm doing as I am a retired YMCA scuba instructor.

Cool

2012-12-28 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4552356

User image

Veteran
Puyallup, WA
Subject: RE: Any scuba divers out there?

Used to be a commercial diver back in the 70's. On one job we put together a Desco mask system using a regular compressor with mineral oil (instead of petro based) and a homeade filter packed tight with sanitary pads. Worked great, could stay down long enough to get hypothermia in the cold Puget Sound waters. Took a refresher dive a couple years ago & need to get another in before our sailing trip to BVI in March.

2012-12-28 8:37 PM

User image

Little Harbour
Love it..been SCUBA diving for 12 years now.
2012-12-28 9:50 PM

User image

Wetaskiwin Canada
I haven't dove for awhile but i have been scuba diving in Egypt  (red sea) , Maldives, south Africa, Mexico including a cave dive and in Belize the blue hole and of course in Holland where i got my certificate. unfortunately my diving buddy got asthma and didn't pass hiss medical and gave up and i can't convince my wife to take it up.
2012-12-29 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

I've been diving for about 12-13 years now. Some years more than others. One of my goals for the upcoming year is to dive more. Starting with a trip to Bonaire in a couple of weeks (my second trip there).

I don't have a regular diving partner, and I live in an inland state, where most of the weekend dives available are going to be at the quarry (sort of like only skiing the bunny slopes), so they get boring after a few dives. My daughter's ex-boyfriend got certified, and we took him on a couple family trips to the Keys to dive with me. After he dumped my daughter, I told my kids any future dating partners also need to be divers. (Ironically, she just started dating again, and he is, in fact, a diver as well)

I picked up a nice drysuit that was a demo model relatively cheaply, so I am hoping to get in some dives off the Jersey shore next summer. All my prior cold water dives where in my 7 mm suit, which is a bit constricting. 

2012-12-29 9:03 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Got certified summer of last year.  So far had only been diving in New England oceans.  Yeah,  not  much, but this past summer we dived a ship wreck.  Don't have a wreck cert so my buddy and I couldn't go "inside".  Still very cool.  Also did some scalloping.

Will get a lobster license for next year.

2012-12-29 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4552840

User image

Master
D.K. - 2012-12-29 9:03 AM

Got certified summer of last year.  So far had only been diving in New England oceans.  Yeah,  not  much, but this past summer we dived a ship wreck.  Don't have a wreck cert so my buddy and I couldn't go "inside".  Still very cool.  Also did some scalloping.

This pretty much why I don't teach anymore.   I was first certified in 1974 and PADI only had two certification levels.   After pool training and a few river dives I went to Panama City and my first ocean dive was to 100 feet with the second dive being around 80 feet.     Those are the depths of the good dives in the Gulf.     Within a year I was diving the Empire Mica before a salvage hunter used explosives to free the prop so he would use it as a display item in front of his shop.    That dive was in water depth up to 125 feet.    This was the days before computerized diving.    With two years I was doing decompression dives. All this as a teenager.

Now one has to have a specialty class to do any of the real fun stuff.   Law suits and all that.    

2012-12-29 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4552854

User image

Pro
MadMathemagician - 2012-12-29 10:22 AM

This pretty much why I don't teach anymore.   I was first certified in 1974 and PADI only had two certification levels.   After pool training and a few river dives I went to Panama City and my first ocean dive was to 100 feet with the second dive being around 80 feet.     Those are the depths of the good dives in the Gulf.     Within a year I was diving the Empire Mica before a salvage hunter used explosives to free the prop so he would use it as a display item in front of his shop.    That dive was in water depth up to 125 feet.    This was the days before computerized diving.    With two years I was doing decompression dives. All this as a teenager.

Now one has to have a specialty class to do any of the real fun stuff.   Law suits and all that.    

You don't HAVE to have a specialty class to do any of that stuff. But what I see are several problems: first, a lot of shops push the classes as a money maker (PADI actually stands for Put Another Dollar In). Second, a lot of people take classes like they are collecting merit badges - so they have little real world dive experience, but call themselves AOW divers because they took the class. Third (and this is the flip side of the second), you get people who, newly certified, dive out of their safety zone - I recall my college roommate getting certified and going to the Keys with me one year. I had been diving maybe 5 or 6 years, and he had literally just gotten his C-card. He sped up past me on the reefs, then turned and kept going. By the time I caught up to him, we lost track of the boat, and ended up doing the "ride of shame" when he ran out of air and we had to catch a lift with a nearby boat. I am a fan of people getting knowledge and experience  - sometimes that means classes, and sometimes it means diving with people who are better divers than you (and patient enough to teach skills).

2012-12-29 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4552904

User image

Master
gearboy - 2012-12-29 10:18 AM

You don't HAVE to have a specialty class to do any of that stuff. But what I see are several problems: first, a lot of shops push the classes as a money maker (PADI actually stands for Put Another Dollar In). Second, a lot of people take classes like they are collecting merit badges - so they have little real world dive experience, but call themselves AOW divers because they took the class. Third (and this is the flip side of the second), you get people who, newly certified, dive out of their safety zone - I recall my college roommate getting certified and going to the Keys with me one year. I had been diving maybe 5 or 6 years, and he had literally just gotten his C-card. He sped up past me on the reefs, then turned and kept going. By the time I caught up to him, we lost track of the boat, and ended up doing the "ride of shame" when he ran out of air and we had to catch a lift with a nearby boat. I am a fan of people getting knowledge and experience  - sometimes that means classes, and sometimes it means diving with people who are better divers than you (and patient enough to teach skills).

True, but if you are an instructor with one of the recreation diving associations that is what you are required to push.   If you are a full time instructor and that is your primary job then it's in your best interest to stress certifications.      That's why I chose YMCA over PADI or NAUI.  

2012-12-29 10:57 AM

Coquitlam
Built the exact same setup a few years ago for simply going under our sailboat to clean, change zincs and prop work. First year it worked great but after using it last summer I came out of the water feeling awful. Had to lay down for quite a while to recover, headache, dizzy, upset stomach. My thought is that the air tank itself has rusted inside and even though I had filters on the system I was breathing really toxic air. My idea to improve is to buy a new air canister that I would connect and only use when diving. I would also assume that even when the tank was built new in China the inside of the tank was probably rather dirty. The other option I am considering is to just buy a small diving tank, leave it on the dock or in the boat and hook up my long hose and regulator to it. Down side is I have to get the tank refilled.
2012-12-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4552932

User image

Master

oldrunner - 2012-12-29 10:57 AM Built the exact same setup a few years ago for simply going under our sailboat to clean, change zincs and prop work. First year it worked great but after using it last summer I came out of the water feeling awful. Had to lay down for quite a while to recover, headache, dizzy, upset stomach. My thought is that the air tank itself has rusted inside and even though I had filters on the system I was breathing really toxic air. My idea to improve is to buy a new air canister that I would connect and only use when diving. I would also assume that even when the tank was built new in China the inside of the tank was probably rather dirty. The other option I am considering is to just buy a small diving tank, leave it on the dock or in the boat and hook up my long hose and regulator to it. Down side is I have to get the tank refilled.

Thanks for the input on the hookah setup.   Gives me an excuse to take the compressor apart.   Gold mining equipment sites have a plastic canister just for that reason.   Seems that some miners prefer to use hookah.   Learn sumpin new.   My mad money has ran out for this month but I'm not in that big of a hurry.      I love to tinker, and cracker engineer.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2012-12-29 11:21 AM

2012-12-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4552904

User image

Pro
MA
gearboy - 2012-12-29 11:18 AM

I agree with Gearboy.  I usually dive with 3 others friends along with a group in my dive club - one is my brother and he is usually my partner.  Sometimes one of us cannot make it and one had to partner up with a stranger.  

One of my friends is like "gear boy", who likes to play with equipment.  He is a photographer and right after certification he can't wait to start playing with stuffs underwater - plus all other non-photo accessories like blades, lights everything.  One time he was too busy taking photos he drifted further and further away and his partner had to chase him back.  As a beginner he went further than usual, got low in air and freaked out. The dive leader yelled at him afterward.  My philosophy is, underwater photography is fun, and I can handle the "photography" part.  But I need to make sure I am comfortable with the "underwater" part before I start playing with other stuffs. 

My 3rd open water dive was a 80-ft scallop dive.  My brother couldn't make it that time so I partnered with a stranger.   He is more experienced and made sure we do all the right things (checking on my air, checking time and directions, made sure I am not too cold, safety stops etc).  I felt confortable diving with him.  

2012-12-29 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4552958

User image

Pro

D.K. - 2012-12-29 12:25 PM

I agree with Gearboy.  I usually dive with 3 others friends along with a group in my dive club - one is my brother and he is usually my partner.  Sometimes one of us cannot make it and one had to partner up with a stranger.  

One of my friends is like "gear boy", who likes to play with equipment.  He is a photographer and right after certification he can't wait to start playing with stuffs underwater - plus all other non-photo accessories like blades, lights everything.  One time he was too busy taking photos he drifted further and further away and his partner had to chase him back.  As a beginner he went further than usual, got low in air and freaked out. The dive leader yelled at him afterward.  My philosophy is, underwater photography is fun, and I can handle the "photography" part.  But I need to make sure I am comfortable with the "underwater" part before I start playing with other stuffs. 

My 3rd open water dive was a 80-ft scallop dive.  My brother couldn't make it that time so I partnered with a stranger.   He is more experienced and made sure we do all the right things (checking on my air, checking time and directions, made sure I am not too cold, safety stops etc).  I felt confortable diving with him.  

This is why I waited until I had at least 40-50 dives under my belt before I started taking photos underwater. And I tell my friends who ask about getting started to wait as well - it takes a while to master all the tasks and still be safe, IMHO

2012-12-29 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4552916

User image

Pro
MadMathemagician - 2012-12-29 11:29 AM
gearboy - 2012-12-29 10:18 AM

True, but if you are an instructor with one of the recreation diving associations that is what you are required to push.   If you are a full time instructor and that is your primary job then it's in your best interest to stress certifications.      That's why I chose YMCA over PADI or NAUI.  

I get that - it's one reason I haven't gone further in my own training to become even an assistant instructor. Sure, I would get lots of diving, and I would get to teach (two things I love), but the idea of upselling classes disturbs me. 

2012-12-29 11:42 AM

User image

Master
I was always patient and attentive to my students when we were diving together, so much that fun for me was not in the equation.    I have the certification, equipment, and experience to dive alone, and prefer to dive that way now that I'm only diving for pleasure, once again.   I don't mind diving with a group but I most always refuse to buddy up unless it's a favour for a friend.
2012-12-29 4:20 PM

User image

Certified 20 years last August. Been diving a lot of places but I live within a mile of some of the best diving in the world, California kelp diving. Need to do more next year. Got some pics at underwaterplanet.com and underwaterplanet.com/gallery

2012-12-30 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
I just gave my son scuba certification for his 14th birthday, yesterday. I can't wait to begin this chapter of life with him. I learned from my step-dad and have many wonderful memories. He is still living, so I hope to get out with the 3 of us this summer. It will be neat to have 3 generations in the water together. We dove Mexico and Belize a ton back in the late 70's through early 80's. Mostly based out of Akumal in Mexico, as my step-dad was the banker that did the loan on a big dive shop there.

I took my son snorkeling there 4 years ago. He saw a turtle within 15 seconds in the water. He loved it. Now, he can add to the experience. We have a friend with a dive shop in Puerto Rico, so I know we'll head there pretty quickly.
2012-12-30 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4553197

User image

Master

ChrisM - 2012-12-29 4:20 PM Certified 20 years last August. Been diving a lot of places but I live within a mile of some of the best diving in the world, California kelp diving. Need to do more next year. Got some pics at underwaterplanet.com and underwaterplanet.com/gallery

Thanks for the pictures!  It helps to wile away a cold winter's day.

2012-12-30 10:06 PM
in reply to: #4552833

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gearboy - 2012-12-29 8:49 AM

I've been diving for about 12-13 years now. Some years more than others. One of my goals for the upcoming year is to dive more. Starting with a trip to Bonaire in a couple of weeks (my second trip there).

I don't have a regular diving partner, and I live in an inland state, where most of the weekend dives available are going to be at the quarry (sort of like only skiing the bunny slopes), so they get boring after a few dives. My daughter's ex-boyfriend got certified, and we took him on a couple family trips to the Keys to dive with me. After he dumped my daughter, I told my kids any future dating partners also need to be divers. (Ironically, she just started dating again, and he is, in fact, a diver as well)

I picked up a nice drysuit that was a demo model relatively cheaply, so I am hoping to get in some dives off the Jersey shore next summer. All my prior cold water dives where in my 7 mm suit, which is a bit constricting. 

I heard Bonaire is really nice for diving! Was it? How were the prices for food, etc. ? Would you recommend a place to stay?

When I was 18 I got PADI certified. Went SCUBA diving on a regular basis to Cozumel from age 22-30 ish. But I haven't been since then (I'm 40 now).

My boyfriend and I are going to get certified in April 2013. While I know my certification lasts forever, I seriously don't remember a darn thing. I figure it best to just retake the course. That way I'm not risking my life and he has a buddy at the class.

I figured we would go on a SCUBA trip May 2013, and toyed with the idea of Bonaire. But Cozumel is nice for diving. It's relatively inexpensive from Dallas, and drift diving is the best!

2012-12-31 2:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

Also certified for over 40 years.  I worked for the local scuba shop in San Diego and dove every day in the beautiful La Jolla cove (protected underwater park), and the La Jolla Shores (down into the San Andreas fault.  Every weekend we dove Mexico from La Bufadora way down into Baja both ocean and gulf sides. 

It is by far one of the greatests sport/hobies every.

2012-12-31 8:26 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Became certified about two years ago. Haven't dove in over a year but will be heading to Hawaii in Mar. to pick it up again.

2012-12-31 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4554745

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Took the classes (twice) 20 years ago when I was living in Bermuda, but never made all of the certification dives. Pretty much just did a lot of snorkeling & free diving. Still have the dive tables around here somewhere.

My mom was at one time the highest certified female diver in the Great Lakes/Lake Erie region (in the mid-80's). Wrecks, caves, mixed-gas, etc... she did it all. 

2012-12-31 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4554745

User image

peby - 2012-12-31 6:26 AM Became certified about two years ago. Haven't dove in over a year but will be heading to Hawaii in Mar. to pick it up again.

Where at in HI are you planning? That's where I've done most of mine,,,,,,, actually most of my diving has been on one reef,,,, Puako.

To the OP, I got certified about 10yrs ago, have only dove a few places, Florida, Lake Mead and Hawaii.  Most of the diving we do is shore diving on the Big Island. June won't get here quick enough.

Here is one of my favorite videos, on the Purako Reef.

2012-12-31 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4555000

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
crusevegas - 2012-12-31 8:45 AM

peby - 2012-12-31 6:26 AM Became certified about two years ago. Haven't dove in over a year but will be heading to Hawaii in Mar. to pick it up again.

Where at in HI are you planning? That's where I've done most of mine,,,,,,, actually most of my diving has been on one reef,,,, Puako.

Should have been more specific. We'll be on Honolulu and will do most of our dives at Sharks Cove.

2012-12-31 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4555176

User image

peby - 2012-12-31 10:05 AM
crusevegas - 2012-12-31 8:45 AM

Should have been more specific. We'll be on Honolulu and will do most of our dives at Sharks Cove.

Great beaches up there and great diving, it won't disappoint!!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any scuba divers out there? Rss Feed  

of 2