General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lateral Foot Pain...Maybe Not a Stress Fracture? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-27 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
Subject: Lateral Foot Pain...Maybe Not a Stress Fracture?

So, I started having some nagging pain in my right foot (lateral side, about three quarters of the way up from my toes, just below the ankle) after my long run on Saturday (which wasn't very long...only six miles).  I figured it was just from my shoes, which I've been having some problems with.  It bothered me on and off throughout the day, but nothing severe.  I didn't work out at all on Sunday and the pain was gone.  Yesterday I started off the day with a hard five-mile run and the foot was okay until the very, very end when it started aching.  By the time I got downtown and was walking to my office from the train the pain was excruciating.  I could hardly put any pressure on it as I limped to the office.  I took some Motrin when I got in and it felt better throughout the course of the day.  This morning I didn't take any Motrin and was able to walk fairly well, although there is definitely still some pain (maybe 4 on a scale of 10).

My question is...has anyone ever had pain on the lateral side of the foot and had it NOT be a stress fracture?  I'm trying to hold off on spending the time and money on a doctor until I can figure out how severe this is.  Maybe I just don't want to hear that it's a stress fracture, which would end my season.  Should I go to the doctor now?  Or try rest and ice on my own?  Any thoughts or experience to share?

2006-06-30 4:43 PM
in reply to: #467073

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: RE: Lateral Foot Pain...Maybe Not a Stress Fracture?

I have and still do have this pain. The doc thought it was a stress fracture, but xrays, nuclear bone scans, and MRI have found nothing there. One other thing it may be is a strain in the Lisfranc joint that was too far along the path to healing to be seen on the scans. Mine seems consistent with that, but I'm not a doctor.

A side effect of mine has been, since I'm subconsiously compensating for it, ITBS in my right lateral knee.

In any case I'd say get it checked out.

Harry

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lateral Foot Pain...Maybe Not a Stress Fracture? Rss Feed