Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2013-04-05 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4679920

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: RE: Tri with Seren - CLOSED!

b2run - 2013-03-30 8:26 AM I've been at the swim classes for two weeks now.  I believe that they've helped although I haven't timed myself to see if my speed has picked up.  I feel like at least I know what I need to work on.  The trouble is to think of all the things at once.  I feel like when I try and correct one thing, something else starts getting sloppy.  Is it better to do an exercise that just focuses on one thing or just swim lots and try to swim correctly?

I find that correct one or two things is better than trying to work on everything all at once all the time.  So one work out I will just work on the catch, another one I will concentrated on keeping my head in the proper position, etc.....  When I feel like I have some proficiency with 2 things, then I try to put the 2 together and see how it goes.  Your speed might initially come down, but over time it will pick back up

2013-04-05 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4553135

User image

Thanks.  I'll give it a try.
2013-04-22 9:17 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Well it is official, I'm now a Tri-Athlete, and no longer Tri-Athlete In Training.  Finished my first sprint distance yesterday.  I haven't been able to do a bit of training over the past two weeks because of my cold I still have, but I wasn't not going to race.  I finished, and that was all I was hoping for honestly.  I'm already registered for my next one on May 19th.  I doubt my cold can last much longer so I hope to do a lot better at that one.

Lessons learned:

1)  I need to get out of my own head, when I got into the pool all I could think about was all the people around me.  I was concentrating on where they were so as not to be holding anyone up instead of just focusing on keeping my pace and racing my race. 

2)  Trying to put on my top when I'm still wet from the pool is a pain!

3) Train in my tri shorts from now on when I'm on the bike, the pad difference was quite substantial from my biking shorts. . . . OUCH.

4) Racing with a cold SUCKS!

Looking forward to my next one!

2013-04-23 8:18 PM

User image

Well done.  I'm still waiting to get my bike outside.  There's still snow on the ground here and more coming tomorrow.  I signed up for two races, one in mid July and one in mid Aug.  I'm also in for a duathlon in Sept.  I'll think about your lessons when I do my first.
2013-05-03 9:54 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Finally able to get back to some semblance of training this week after my cold seems to have dissipated.  I also rewarded myself with completing my first tri by getting a 910XT.  Just registered for my next two sprint distance races.

May 19 = 300m pool, 12.2 mi bike, 5k run

June 2 = 500m river swim, 24k bike, 5k run

Not sure if I'm going to register for the next one in the series, they aren't offering a sprint distance, only olympic.  I don't know if I will be up for that distance by June 23rd.

2013-05-04 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4725783

User image

Expert
Boston
mleech77 - 2013-05-03 10:54 AM

Finally able to get back to some semblance of training this week after my cold seems to have dissipated.  I also rewarded myself with completing my first tri by getting a 910XT.  Just registered for my next two sprint distance races.

May 19 = 300m pool, 12.2 mi bike, 5k run

June 2 = 500m river swim, 24k bike, 5k run

Not sure if I'm going to register for the next one in the series, they aren't offering a sprint distance, only olympic.  I don't know if I will be up for that distance by June 23rd.

Congratulations!!!  You have to try really hard not to let other peoples energy effect you.  Try to visualize the race in your head weeks before.   See yourself hitting your stride, see the other people around you and their nervousness.  See yourself not being effected by it. 

I always get there early and meditate at the waters edge for a bit, connecting with myself and the water.

My best race ever is when I blocked everyone out and just raced the plan!  My first race I injured both achilles tendons 7 weeks before the race.  I was gonna be damned if I wasn't gonna race.  It was one of the last races of the season and my next opportunity was going to be the following season.   I limped across that finish line proud that I had completed a triathlon. 

Can't wait to here about the next races!!!

2013-05-20 6:33 AM
in reply to: Seren

User image

Haymarket, VA
Well I can definitely say racing healthy is a whole lot better than racing sick. Finished my 2nd sprint yesterday and dropped just over 20 min off of my time. Granted the bike was 1 mile shorter, but still the whole thing felt so much better to me.

Tried out a couple different things this time too. Since I struggled with my top after the swim last time I decided to wear it while swimming this time. I could definitely feel the drag of it while swimming, and the tightness of it felt as if it was constricting me at times. I also decided to rock the contacts this time instead of my glasses. Having wrap round sunglasses to wear on the bike felt a lot better. It was rather overcast and humid so when it came to the run I didn't wear any eye protection.

The bike by far felt my best this time. Granted it was a flatter course, but I had swapped out my stock saddle with an Adamo ISM Road saddle the day before the race. I hadn't even gotten a chance to try it out on the bike before the race itself. I'm going to take the bike in for a proper fitting this week hopefully, but just the difference in the saddle made things feel so much better.

I'm still struggling by the time I get to the run. I have to figure out what's going on with my knee. If I try to pick up the pace at all I get a sharp pain right behind my right knee cap. As long as I keep a slow pace it is fine.

All in all a great day yesterday though.
2013-05-31 5:24 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Expert
Boston
Great job Matt!!! Make sure you are landing correctly when you run. If you land on your toes or on the outside or inside of the foot you can feel that all the way into the hip!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri with Seren - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 10