BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2012-12-30 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: I can start now!

GROUP FOCUS:  I am mainly a sprinter, but I have mentored all levels from Sprint distance to Ironman.  I enjoy working with older athletes because I am proof that ANYONE can do this, but I also enjoy all age levels, newbies or experienced.

NAME: Hildebeast / Hilde

STORY:  Hi all, I'm Hilde and I LOVE the sport of triathlon.  This next season will be my 5th season, and I have been a mentor for a few seasons now.  My friends call me "Hildebeast" and I'd like you to become a beast too!  I am an older athlete and just turned 55, or 56 in triathlon years.  Don't let my age fool you though, I am no feeble athlete, I can hold my own and usually place in the top 5 in my age group.  I am a swimmer first, I do fairly well at the bike, and I have really worked on my run, to where I do not embarrass myself out on the race course!  I mainly do Sprint distances, although I am signed up to do an Oly as my first tri of the season.  My former mentor groups have been crazy, but have been extremely motivational to each other.  If you want a fun group, who will check on your training logs and give you a kick in the you know where if you start slacking off, then this is the group for you.  I have had both male and female athletes in the group, all ages and racers of all distances, from Sprint to Ironman.  I may not know everything about this sport, but I will do my best to find you the answers you need to train and race.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 29 years, 2 grown children, 2 grandsons.  I am an elementary music teacher.  I live in central Texas.

CURRENT TRAINING: During this off season I have been concentrating on my run, and just completed my 6th half marathon.  I am not a great warm weather runner, and living in Texas that means I have to take advantage of the 3 days a year it gets cold here!  Just kidding, but I do spend a lot of my off-season time working on my run.   My New Year's resolution is to get back to all three sports consistently, which means doing two workouts a day most days.  But that is me, I'm a true overachiever, you can easily train for a sprint distance race doing less than I do, and I have had many members that do more!

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My 2012 races included four sprint tris, one Olympic where I did the swim leg of a relay, two half marathons, a 10K, and some 5K's and a few organized bike rides.  I placed 1st or 2nd in my age group in the majority of those.

2013 RACES:  I don't have my whole season mapped out just yet, but it will be very similar to last years.  My goals are to continue to work on my run and to focus on the bike this season.  I would like to be averaging 18 mph in training and over 20 in races if possible, but it's gonna take some work on my part!

WEIGHTLOSS: 2013 is the year to get down to race weight... need to eat healthier and be smart about my fueling.  My goal is to lose approximately 20 pounds.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a good mentor because I will be checking on you DAILY!  You train, I inspire you!  You have a great race or a great workout, I am your biggest fan.   Things didn't go so well?  I'm STILL your biggest fan and can hopefully give you some insight on making your next race or workout better. You slack off and I can be your worst nightmare!  Not really, but I will get on your case and hope to get you back on track.  I try to keep you motivated with lots of humor, and personal attention.  I expect to have some returners of my old mentor group and they have been fabulous at inspiring everyone in the group. 

WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD BEAST?:  Use the BT training logs, be consistent in your training, inspire others in the group and check in on our group forum to post questions and successes and such. 

So come join us!  Become a BEAST!

sdf

Edited by Hildebeast 2013-01-08 10:57 AM

2013-01-06 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, Become a BEAST! (OPEN)

I'm in!

NAME: Hoffsquared/Melanie

STORY:  Rediscovered my "inner athlete" at the age of 43 (now age 51).  Started running, getting fit, and then 3 years ago discovered the sport of triathlon.  Fell in love with training for three different sports and racing!  I am still setting PRs every year and get on the podium every now and again.  Swimming and running are my strengths.  Although I commute by bike every day to work with 18 miles roundtrip - cycling is my weak point.  I love race days and being around people with the same frame of mind --- being healthly, getting outside, and challenging oneself.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 28 years, 1 soon to be college graduate, 1 still in high school, and one very old, very deaf dog.  I am an environmental professional.  I live in Northern Virginia (inside the Beltway as they say).

CURRENT TRAINING PLANS: Focus on leg strength and endurance for the bike.  Keep my run up to snuff.  Put up with the swimming.  This works out to:  2 days swimming, 3 days running, 5-6 days biking, 1 day strength, with some stretching and yoga thrown in.  I'm trying to use 10 minutes each morning while the coffee is brewing to do some strength work.  

2013 RACES: My 2013 races so far are Wash DC RocknRoll 1/2 marathon, Columbia Triathlon, Iron Girl Columbia (with my daughters), Nation's Triathlon, Dogfish Dash 10K, and MCM.  I'm looking to move up a few placements in each this year.

Season Goals:  Less than 8:00 min/mile pace @ Dogfish Dash, 20 mph bike portion during race, no breastroke during swim!

WEIGHTLOSS:  I think my race weight is about 11 lbs less than where I am now.  But I look really skinny in the face at that point so the target might be 8 lbs less.

I am looking forward to a great year.  

Edited by hoffsquared 2013-01-07 5:46 PM
2013-01-06 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4564499

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Welcome Melanie!!!  Sounds like you've thought out your season to address your strengths and weaknesses and the one good thing about getting older is that our AG's start to shrink giving us a better chance at that podium!!
2013-01-06 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

NAME: soccermom15 - Janet

STORY: 48 years old - never much of an athlete growing up and even less of one in my 20's and 30's.  Played a little rec softball and tried indoor soccer but not very good at either one.  Finally decided in my early 40's that I needed to do something.  I volunteered at a local tri and saw a lot of "normal" people participating so thought I'd like to give it a try some day.  I knew how to swim and ride a bike so decided to start with the running since that was something I couldn't do.  Did my first 5k a couple of months later.  I was slow but finished.  After a couple of years of just running, I did my first tri in May of 2009.  I've done a couple of sprints since then and would like to do an Oly eventually.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 22+ years, 2 kids - 22 & 18.

CURRENT TRAINING: Kind of starting over at this point.  I had surgery on my shoulder 6 weeks ago and have just gotten the OK to start training again.  I was walking but no running, swimming or biking.  Hoping the running will come back pretty easily.  Did my first swim since August this week and it's going to be a slow comeback there.  Biking has always been my limiter so not sure how that will go but hoping to put in some good time on the trainer this winter.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Besides some running races, I attempted 2 sprints this year.  DNF'd on both Frown.  Woke up sick the day of the spring race and only made it halfway through the bike before I had to stop.  The fall race I was unprepared for the hills on the bike route and my shoulder was not working properly so the swim didn't go so well.

2013 RACES:  Gateway sprint in May and hopefully another sprint in the fall.  Not sure which I'll end up doing - have several choices so we'll see how training goes before I decide.  Also some running races - 2 15k trail races in Feb and some 5k's this spring.

WEIGHTLOSS: I gained about 5# while recovering from surgery so would like to lose that at least.

2013-01-06 4:30 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area

I'm in as well.

Name: apglave/Page

Story: I've been involved with sports my whole life.  Between grad school (ironically studying exercise science), marriage, and the first of 2 babies, I got ridiculously out of shape.  Started to get things back in order when I finally graduated and got my "big girl" job.  Then came baby #2.  Hoped to do a sprint last year, but decided to wait until we figure out how to handle 2 kids (3 and 9 months).  I think we've got it figured out as much as we can, so I'm planning a sprint for next fall.  

Family: Married 5.5 years, 2 boys (3 and 9 months)

Current training: Almost all biking at the moment as leaving the house is a challenge.  Plan on starting 1 run a week this week.  Swimming will have to wait until the pool at work opens.

Weight loss: I hope to drop about 25 lbs in the next 5 months.  Then I'll determine how I feel about endurance sports at that weight (155).  I've found a performance drop off under that point for my previous sports - I'm built like a linebacker. 

2013 Races: Not sure, but probably the Houston Oaks Tru Tri Sports sprint in September.  1 race a year will probably be my limit for a while.

2013-01-06 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4564891

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Welcome Janet and Page!  I am loving the bios, really giving me some insight as to where you are and where you want to be.  I know it is hard to train consistently when you have little kids at home! 

Once the group is closed I will give you all a list of our members that you can post on your Dashboard or so that you can load everyone as a friend!

2013-01-06 6:32 PM

User image

New user
KY
I am definitely in!  I will post tomorrow with a more detailed history.  Looking forward to reconnecting with some faces from the old group and meeting some new folks, too:-)
2013-01-06 9:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-06 11:32 PM

New user

Chicago
I'm in. I am training fo my first tri. I have done many 5k runs and used to swim as part of my job but a reassignment took me away from the swim and the excersize. Several years went by and the pounds slowly added up. Now at 47 I find myself 50lbs overweight. So hear I am trying to get some encouragement and help to keep up the motivation.
2013-01-07 4:30 AM
in reply to: #4565355

Expert
Temple, TX
Welcome Erin, Bryan?, and Bearhawk.... Would love to help you get through your first tri or your first Ironman!  Please post a bio for us, especially with your real names...Bearhawk we have another member from Chicago, Alex-wrkinprogress is also from Chicago.  And I surely understand the weight loss thing, trying to lose 20 myself.  Looks like we are filling up nicely!
2013-01-07 5:54 PM

Expert
Falls Church

Looking forward to this group!

My day did not start off great but has ended nicely.

Didn't sleep very well and my plans to do 10 minutes of strength exercises while morning coffee was brewing fizzled out due to general grumpiness.  Rest of the day was so so until trip to orthodontist to get daughter's braces off.  Her smile is so beautiful!  Then I turned grumpy again.

A vanilla chai helped turned things around.  Then my new goggles arrived!

I now have a pair of Aqua Sphere Eagle interchangeable optics goggles.  Prescription goggles essentially.  I am very excited to try them out this week!  Even more than that to try them in a race.  No more trying to figure out which colored shape on the horizon is the actually buoy I'm supposed to swim towards!

Seriously, I think this will help my swim immensely.  Maybe not improve time so much but just make feel more comfortable being able to see with some clarity beyond a few yards.  

So tomorrow I hope to get the morning coffee brewing 10 minutes of strength exercises in.  

2013-01-07 7:21 PM
in reply to: #4564642

Spring/Woodlands Area

Hi Janet,

Whereabouts are you in Missouri?  I went to school at SMS (now Missouri State) in Springfield.

Love the state.

Page

2013-01-07 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4566906

Spring/Woodlands Area

I had a similar day :-(

Sick baby means not a lot of sleep.  And sick everyone else makes for a grumpy house.  I did at least get a short playground workout with the 3 year old followed by a quick weight workout.  

I would have liked to make up for the workout I missed yesterday because I thought I needed to rest, but trying to be good on my normal rest day.

I can't imagine doing an OWS with that much limited vision.  I bet it will help a lot.

2013-01-07 9:17 PM

Expert

I am SO in and ready for a new season!

NAME: Alex (short for Alexandra)

STORY:  Hi everyone-- I'm Alex, and I'm one of Hilde's devotees, back for my third year in her mentor group, fourth season in triathlon. I swam and skated a lot as a kid, but was never involved in any sports beyond that except for the high school badminton team. Got considerably out of shape through undergrad and most of grad school, then lost 45 pounds or so in my final year of grad school (stress plus better eating and exercise will do that!). Discovered triathlon 4 seasons ago more or less by chance, and have been loving it ever since, even despite injuries and setbacks along the way...Hilde will tell you: I will NOT let things stop me. I'm on sabbatical for the spring semester, so can spend a bit of extra time on training without losing too much sleep, too. After a season of firsts in 2012, I'm looking forward to seeing what 2013 will bring!

FAMILY STATUS:  Single, living just outside Chicago, IL at the moment-- I grew up in Canada.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Just started my training for 2013, so have scheduled things to get me ready for a late spring marathon on my way to a half-Iron in July and a full IM in early September. I'm also going to try to fit in three CrossFit sessions a week to work on strength and general conditioning, as those are aspects of my training I neglected last year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  As I said, 2012 was a year of firsts: first full marathon (Ottawa), first half-Ironman (Antwerp), and first full Ironman (Esprit Montreal). Finished them all, smiling and uninjured, just as I'd planned! Also did two half-marathons to bracket the season and a sprint tri shortly before the IM to practice nutrition and transitions under race conditions.

2013 RACES:  Back for more: I've already signed up for the Ottawa marathon again, then IM 70.3 Racine (hills on the bike course!), finishing up with the Esprit Montreal Ironman in September. May well fit in an Oly and a half-marathon somewhere early in the season to see how things are going and just for fun, but we'll see-- my travel schedule this year is a bit up in the air still.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm probably about 15 pounds heavier than my ideal racing weight, so that's certainly a goal of mine along the way. Eating wisely and doing more interval and strength work will help with that, I hope!

After 2 seasons under Hilde's command guidance, I can honestly say she is the BEST! We all work hard, have fun, and cheer each other on like crazy! Come on in, the water's fine-- with or without a wetsuit...

2013-01-07 9:41 PM

Middle Tennessee
Ok I'm in!shadow67/ShadMy Story: Been doing triathlon since 2007. Started out riding a bike in 2005 to lose weight and discovered triathlon two years later. Did my first sprint and was HOOKED! I took a year off to finish college then started back in 2011. I started at sprint level and this year is my year for a full Ironman! I'm big and I'm slow but I always finish what I start. Family Status: Partnered for 3 years to the love of my life (she is also the world's best IronSherpa). We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I am a physical therapist assistant and we live in Tennessee.Current Training: Swim 3 days a week, trail run or road run 2 days a week, and try to get in at least one long road ride or trail ride a week. The bike is my strong point. Swimming is doable. Running is my weakest link right now. I'm not getting too structured until April when I start the 20 week Beginner Triathlete Ironman plan. I am also gonna do about two months of kettlebell training to develop some more functional strength. 2013 Races: 15K trail/road running race in March, Heel and Crank Duathlon in April, Viola Valley Half Marathon in May, Mach Tenn Sprint Tri in June, Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic in July and IM Louisville in August. WHEW! I'm tired already!! LOL.Weight Loss Goals: I am currently at 200 lbs with 20% bodyfat. I want to be down to 185 with 15% bodyfat by August. Gotta clean up my eating a bit and get my fueling plan dialed in for events.I haven't used the BT training logs yet, but I will start now! I'm looking forward to becoming a BEAST!!

Middle Tennessee
Ok I'm in!shadow67/ShadMy Story: Been doing triathlon since 2007. Started out riding a bike in 2005 to lose weight and discovered triathlon two years later. Did my first sprint and was HOOKED! I took a year off to finish college then started back in 2011. I started at sprint level and this year is my year for a full Ironman! I'm big and I'm slow but I always finish what I start. Family Status: Partnered for 3 years to the love of my life (she is also the world's best IronSherpa). We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I am a physical therapist assistant and we live in Tennessee.Current Training: Swim 3 days a week, trail run or road run 2 days a week, and try to get in at least one long road ride or trail ride a week. The bike is my strong point. Swimming is doable. Running is my weakest link right now. I'm not getting too structured until April when I start the 20 week Beginner Triathlete Ironman plan. I am also gonna do about two months of kettlebell training to develop some more functional strength. 2013 Races: 15K trail/road running race in March, Heel and Crank Duathlon in April, Viola Valley Half Marathon in May, Mach Tenn Sprint Tri in June, Chattanooga Waterfront Olympic in July and IM Louisville in August. WHEW! I'm tired already!! LOL.Weight Loss Goals: I am currently at 200 lbs with 20% bodyfat. I want to be down to 185 with 15% bodyfat by August. Gotta clean up my eating a bit and get my fueling plan dialed in for events.I haven't used the BT training logs yet, but I will start now! I'm looking forward to becoming a BEAST!!

Middle Tennessee
2013-01-07 9:44 PM

Middle Tennessee
Sorry for the multiple replies. I'm not sure how that happened. OOPS!
2013-01-07 10:53 PM

atlanta
m in!NAME: jackflashSTORY: I am 39 and a life long soccer player. I have played multiple sports (basketball, track, football...) Most of my life, but after numerous injuries I decided to slow it down and be smarter about my health. I currently play soccer on Sundays and referee multiple games during the week. After watching Kona highlights I have found a new and exciting sport/challenge to be a part of. Now if only I could swim longer than 50 meters without dying, manage my planter fasciites and get more rest/training I should be good for my first ever Tri season.FAMILY STATUS: single with a daughter in college, I live near Marietta, GA.CURRENT TRAINING PLANS: strength train 3x, run 2-3x, bike 2-3x, swim 2-3x, soccer drills 1-2x a week. I increase my bike/run by 5 minutes every week. My swimming is just terrible.2013 RACES: My first race will be the Lagrange GA sprint Tri. I will schedule 2-3 more pool based sprints before setting the rest of my schedule to include open water and longer distances.Season Goals: complete a couple of sprints followed by longer distances. Do a half marathon and a couple of 5k & 10k races. Greatly improve my swim, prepare for a 2014 ironman, all while maintaining my soccer speed and agility.WEIGHTLOSS: at 5-8 and 160lbs (my hair probably weighs 7 pounds, I just need to shed body fat.I am ready for beast mode training.
2013-01-08 4:42 AM
in reply to: #4567295

Expert
Temple, TX

Welcome Shad and Jack(?)!  And of course our resident Canadian, Alex!  Love the bios, and sooo many future Ironmen!!  Makes me feel a bit like a weenie, it's not even on my bucket list.  I think we'll take a few more in the group before we close 'er down and get to work!!

This is the place to reach out to the group, ask questions about pretty much anything, we're not embarassed easily over here!  Successes, motivational needs, whatever, post here.  And as we get ready to really get down to the nitty gritty, go train like a Beast!

2013-01-08 4:49 AM

Expert
Falls Church

Got the 10 minute exercise while coffee brewing in! Yeah. Also got a good nights sleep.

I kind of like thinking like a BEAST! Will have to come up with some sort of mantra along these lines to keep me going when the going gets tough.

Jack flash - I had PF a few years back. Good luck getting through it. I'm always on the lookout for little signs of its return so I can take needed rest. I am a diehard 'barefoot in the house' person ever since full recovery.

Edited by hoffsquared 2013-01-08 7:29 AM

2013-01-08 7:19 AM

Veteran
I don't really feel like a "BEAST!" but I'd like to join in if you'll have me (I'm two-timing, I'm in another group as well). You guys are my MMMers, evrn if you make me look like a total slacker, LOL!

I'll post an ontro when I get to a computer.
2013-01-08 7:29 AM
in reply to: #4567524

Expert
Temple, TX
Well of course Andrea, welcome back..,. I saw that you had joined another group, but all former MMMers are welcome to join the Beasts!
2013-01-08 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4567539

Expert
Temple, TX

A welcome also to Joe, one of my "old" timers, just kidding Joe!  He's been with me awhile and we banter back and forth as old people are wont to do, ha ha!

Page... can you set your log page to be viewed by everyone, or add me as a friend?  I can't see it unless I'm listed as a friend.  Thanks!!  No fair keeping your logs secret, I can't nag what I can't see!

2013-01-08 8:54 AM

Regular

NAME: Joe (short for Joseph which my Mom called me at very inopportune times)

STORY:  I am Joe, and this is the 3rd or 4th year with this crazy group. I have been running, biking, swimming, playing tennis for a very long time

FAMILY STATUS:  Married, living just near Madison, WI and I grew up in Madison, WI.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Trying to figure out what exactly what training I need to do based upon what races I decide to do for 2013. I'm going to try to compete in a couple runs and maybe a Oly or a 1/2 IM this year we’ll see…time and training will tell.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I'm going to try to compete in a couple runs and maybe an Oly and/or a 1/2 IM this year we’ll see…will run a 20K and maybe a 20 miler run in early spring.

WEIGHTLOSS: The holidays did me in so some obvious work to do—not worried will get ‘er done.

Hilde's OK actually a card. But one thing for sure she goes after her exercising pretty much every day. Along with checking in as to how everyone is doing and that you are doing. Brutal commander!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17