General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-10-21 4:13 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread
So we just rebooked a new hotel so we could stay on the beach. I'm also hoping that it's easier to get to T1 on race morning since we'll be coming from the lone road from teh south. I know a lot of people will be coming from the that direction but I'm hoping the limited amount of hotels along the beach will mean a limited number of people!!! Plus it's only 2.8 miles from teh hotel to T1, worst case scenario, she gets out and runs to the trolleys that take you to the start.

2013-10-22 8:54 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Here's a bit of bike course recon:

The stretch on I-140 is divided highway, two lanes each way. We ride in the left lane(closest to the median) and cars are in the right lane. There will be orange cones separating the two lanes BUT the cones are placed slightly into the bike lane as opposed to directly on top of the white stripes. It sounds like a good bit of room to work with but you'll be surpised how crowded and bunched up riders can get. It is a really good idea to let people you're overtaking know that you're there because 1.wind blasts from cars going by on the right can push riders into your line and 2. those orange cones have no give whatsoever. If you clip a cone while you're in your aerobars, there's a good chance you'll lose control.

Every year at B2B, I come up on a couple of racers who got tangled and went down. Sometimes more than that..

I am as guilty as anyone of not calling out 'on your left' in the middle of a race, and it's 98% no problem. This one stretch of the course merits a bit of attention..

Almost time to hit the road to Wilmington..happy travels to all.
2013-10-22 11:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by alltom1

The stretch on I-140 is divided highway, two lanes each way. We ride in the left lane(closest to the median) and cars are in the right lane. There will be orange cones separating the two lanes BUT the cones are placed slightly into the bike lane as opposed to directly on top of the white stripes. It sounds like a good bit of room to work with but you'll be surpised how crowded and bunched up riders can get. It is a really good idea to let people you're overtaking know that you're there because 1.wind blasts from cars going by on the right can push riders into your line and 2. those orange cones have no give whatsoever. If you clip a cone while you're in your aerobars, there's a good chance you'll lose control.

Every year at B2B, I come up on a couple of racers who got tangled and went down. Sometimes more than that..

I am as guilty as anyone of not calling out 'on your left' in the middle of a race, and it's 98% no problem. This one stretch of the course merits a bit of attention..

Thanks for bringing that up, Alltom. Last year, for the half, I found myself having to pay close attention during this segment. I almost clipped a cone or two and knew i'd go down if I did. During this section, a lot of cyclists don't like to get close to the cones b/c of this (and the cars), so it makes it kind of challenging.

Definitely let riders you're coming up on them. At first, I swung wide, thinking it'd be enough, but sometimes the cyclists would decide to veer out at the same time! Had to slam on brakes a few times.

BTW, looks like Mary Lee may be joining us as part of a swim relay!

http://www.ocearch.org/

Edited by d00d 2013-10-22 11:32 AM
2013-10-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Bib # 996. It's my first Half! So, is it me or does everyone have that "throw up" feeling? Looking forward to it and putting all this hard training to the test and most of all, drinking a fine beer after.
2013-10-22 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Originally posted by d00d

Thanks for bringing that up, Alltom. Last year, for the half, I found myself having to pay close attention during this segment. I almost clipped a cone or two and knew i'd go down if I did. During this section, a lot of cyclists don't like to get close to the cones b/c of this (and the cars), so it makes it kind of challenging.

Definitely let riders you're coming up on them. At first, I swung wide, thinking it'd be enough, but sometimes the cyclists would decide to veer out at the same time! Had to slam on brakes a few times.

Oh my, where exactly on that map will we be swimming? Anyone know?
2013-10-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Is it sad that I'm way more scared of the traffic cones than the shark possibility?

2013-10-22 2:53 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Originally posted by meggfishy

Is it sad that I'm way more scared of the traffic cones than the shark possibility?

I would be much more concerned about the cones, too..

Old(very) joke: we don't have to be the first person out of the water..we just have to make sure we're not last.

2013-10-22 3:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Originally posted by pistuo

Oh my, where exactly on that map will we be swimming? Anyone know?

Masonboro Inlet...drag the map up just a little from where Mary Lee is at.

I'm more worried about the cones, too...They're much more dangerous while in plain sight!

Edited by d00d 2013-10-22 3:46 PM
2013-10-22 3:51 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by d00d BTW, looks like Mary Lee may be joining us as part of a swim relay! http://www.ocearch.org/

I will definitely be peeing in my wetsuit.

Originally posted by pistou Oh my, where exactly on that map will we be swimming? Anyone know?

Just around the corner and up north a little ways - at Wrightsville Beach; Masonboro Inlet (due east of Wilmington).

2013-10-23 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm tempted to remark on how FINE the forecast for Saturday is looking but I don't want to offend the weather gods.
2013-10-23 3:29 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Any updates on the jellyfish situation from anyone local?

I see that Mary Lee is definitely hanging out in the area for the weekend, but I'm not worried about her.... jellies give me the Heebie Jeebies, though.

2013-10-23 3:41 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

I'm tempted to remark on how FINE the forecast for Saturday is looking but I don't want to offend the weather gods.

Knock on wood. We'll probably be cold on the bike but the wind looks fine and no rain yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
2013-10-23 6:09 PM

User image

You really don't have to worry about Mary Lee, she won't go into the inlet to feed due to the amount of Bull Sharks that already hunt there... Lol
2013-10-24 1:12 PM

User image

Elite

which weather report are you looking at?!

looks cold to me!
2013-10-25 8:49 PM

Think of all the other great whites that aren't GPS tagged swimming around in the area. Besides, its the bull sharks that you have to worry about. Their the ones with the horns.
2013-10-27 7:49 AM
in reply to: slaterson19

Veteran
Tennessee
I am an ironman! Congrats to all the finishers,

2013-10-27 5:39 PM
in reply to: iruptacopula

User image

Congrats2u!!+evry1 else & I'm in the brotherhood withya....
2013-10-28 10:16 AM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Congrats to all who made it to the starting line on Saturday, esp. the half and full first-timers!!

I thought it was a great day for racing...Already planning on coming back for B2B #7.
2013-10-28 3:00 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
First half done and I thought the distance was a lot of fun! Planning to return next year.
2013-10-28 7:37 PM
in reply to: meggfishy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I've never seen so many grown men packed shoulder to shoulder shivering... that was my experience in T1... ha! And I didn't fully regain feeling in my toes until 4.5 hours into the bike! But, loved this race and enjoyed all the people we came in contact with from other racers to locals to volunteers... A++ experience for us!
2013-10-29 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
In case anyone hadn't already noticed, the wackiness has been worked out of the results pages...there were some crazy T1/T2 vs. bike or run splits in the prelim. results.

Too early to plan out next season?

2013-10-29 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Does anyone know the story behind the woman that did the full swim and it looks like the half bike and half run?  She's listed as a DQ.  I figure there's some backstory there.

2013-10-29 12:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by jmkizer

Does anyone know the story behind the woman that did the full swim and it looks like the half bike and half run?  She's listed as a DQ.  I figure there's some backstory there.

I saw that in the results, too... I have absolutely no idea what happened, but my guess was that she took a wrong turn on the bike instead of heading straight where we split and they perhaps pulled her off the run at the turnaround.

Congrats to everyone!   I had the most incredible day that I could have hoped for out there.  I even managed to stay in good spirits and smiling through the first lap of the run.

Thank God for propane heaters at swim start.  Thankfully, I went down with the third bus and got a nice position between two heaters.  I stayed pleasantly comfortable until 5 minutes before the start.

2013-10-29 6:32 PM

User image

From what we heard on the lady with the fast time was she wanted to do the 1/2 but it sold out so she signed up for the full and did the 1/2 still got her finisher swag and all her splits just dq'd. Some good news for those wanting to go back next year. The tide chart show that the current will be "SCREAMING" for the swim on October 25th 2014. Low tide around 5:30am/High around Noon rising apox 5' most of it between 7 and 9am. Congrats to all...
2013-10-30 4:19 PM
in reply to: dpg31

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by dpg31 From what we heard on the lady with the fast time was she wanted to do the 1/2 but it sold out so she signed up for the full and did the 1/2 still got her finisher swag and all her splits just dq'd. Some good news for those wanting to go back next year. The tide chart show that the current will be "SCREAMING" for the swim on October 25th 2014. Low tide around 5:30am/High around Noon rising apox 5' most of it between 7 and 9am. Congrats to all...

I've already decided that 2014 will not be a Full IM year for me, but I am soooo tempted to sign up for the Half next year.  

I absolutely LOVED this event and definitely want to be back next year.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8