Veep Races LLC
28F / -2C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 23m 42s
Overall Rank = 78/441
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/48
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got a quick shower and some breakfast at the hotel. Rode over to the race and took a few pics before Beth started the 10-miler. They started us 10 minutes after the 10-miler and relay teams.
Event warmup:

None, took a few pics of the 10-mile start and stood by the fire with Avery. I gave Avery (my middle son) my sweatshirt and lined up mid-way back.
Run
  • 5h 23m 42s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started with a short uphill and I started far enough back that I got caught up in traffic. I hit the first mile at 12 minutes and worked over the next 14 miles to work the overall pace down below 10m/m. I skipped the first aid station at around mile 4 and then started grazing as I came through the remaining stations. A handful of pretzels, a few cookies and I was very "efficient" which is where I picked up a lot of spots throughout the day. I grabbed a few cookies and pretzels at the aid stations, and a cup of gatorade at the third station. I came through the start/finish for the first loop at 2:33:30 (gun time) and saw Beth and Avery. I started focusing on the next 3 miles, so 16-17-18 where I hit mile 18 just under 3 hours. Mile 19-20-21 in just under 3:30. Coming through the first aid station, I grabbed a couple cookies and two turtles. Turtles are good, but in 30F weather, the carmel is pretty stiff and the chocolate brittle. I dropped the second cookie in the snow (oops...) and kept trotting along. Miles 22-23-24 I started to slow down closer to 11m/m. By now, my legs are starting to complain and it's just a matter of moving forward. I played around in my mind with various scenarios to see whether I could finish in less than 5:10 and I knew I'd kick myself if I finished in 5:11. No matter, as my pace slowed more. Somewhere just short of 26 miles, runkeeper quit updating (phone battery drained) but I still would have done the marathon distance in about 4:30 which is a 20 minute improvement over Tecumseh in 2010. I played leapfrog with a couple of groups and a couple of individuals, sometimes winning and sometimes losing. One of the guys was running with a huge husky named Rocky who is the race mascot. They passed me for the last time around mile 28-29. By now, I'm walking the uphills and shuffling along for the rest, but it is still a good day. As I come across the road for the last half-mile, one of the volunteers comments on the icecicles hanging from the bill of my hat (he'd said something the first loop too). I pick it up as much as I can to finish with a gun time of 5:24:00.
What would you do differently?:

I used up a lot of energy in the first 2-3 miles trying to get around slower runners. Otherwise, I wouldn't do much different.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled over to the port-o-pots and then to the warming tent for some homemade soup (Russian Cabbage and some Spicy Corn Chowder, both very tasty). We started the walk up to the campground for a shower when I realized that while I had clothes and a towel, I didn't have dry shoes, so Avery got the car and drove us the rest of the way. The shower was warm and got me clean enough for the drive on to Toledo.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of long runs (two 17-milers and a 21-miler, all on the roads).

Event comments:

It has to be a huge challenge to organize a winter ultra. I've run an aid station for an ultra (in good weather). My hat is off to these guys for making this a good race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-11-30 12:00 AM
Running
05:23:42 | 31.07 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/48
Overall: 79/441
Performance: Good
First loop: 2:33:15 for an average pace of 9:49/mile. Second loop: 2:50:27 for an average pace of 10:56/mile
Course: Two loop course around the lakes at Chain O Lakes State Park in Albion, IN. Lots of little bumps and dips but no sustained climbs. A few of the views were very good (sorry, no pictures). There was a dusting of fresh snow that the crowds packed down quickly and it stayed cold enough that the ground stayed firm for the whole time I ran. By the second loop, some of the decents were pretty icy and treacherous.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-01-01 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: The HUFF 50K Trail Run

2013-01-01 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4556755

User image

Master
MidWest
Subject: RE: The HUFF 50K Trail Run
I'm glad I was there to see you!  Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The HUFF 50K Trail Run Rss Feed