BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-05-20 8:25 PM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
Congrats Armondo! looks like you had an awesome race, I heard the heat was pretty bad. I guy in our tri group threw in the towel at mile 80 of the bike, of course he did 3 last year!
Can't wait to see the race report and hear your thoughts!

Great job Bull, way to stick it out, nothing worse than a mouth full of salt water to start your day. What kind of bike do you have? maybe a bike fit would help if you haven't had one yet. If you do get a new bike make sure you get a fit first. I believe that since i never got a fit it contributed to my back problem that required surgery.

Ran the Harpoon 5 miler in Boston yesterday, great race and lots of good beer after! I just wish i could find a way to get faster? 8:38 pace, i feel like I'm working hard, but not going anywhere? Oh well still had fun and I wasn't last by any means!

First swim since last fall tonight, felt pretty good, did 3/4 miles, water was nice at 63 deg. perfect for my sleeveless wetsuit, which is good since the ocean here never gets much warmer.

2013-05-20 9:30 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

Simsbury, CT
Hello everyone,

I am finally home. It was a long, long road to the finish line and crossing it felt great. I pretty much stuck to my plan with one notable exception which cost me a lot of time on the run. The weather was hot and humid. These are some of the details:

Swim - The plan was to use the wetsuit regardless of whether it was legal or optional. My goal was to spend as little energy as possible. On race morning, the temp crossed the 76.1 so it was wetsuit optional. There was no penalty for using it but we did have to start 10 minutes after the mass start. This was actually another plus for me because it never felt chaotic. I felt relaxed, never pushed the paced, did a lot of sighting to stay on track and to avoid other athletes. The buoyancy of the suit was huge for me.

T1 - I think it went relatively quick. I spent what it seemed like an eternity putting on my arm compression sleeves. I made sure the volunteers put a ton of sunscreen before I took off.

Bike - It was hot. Goal was to stay in HR zones 2-3 (regardless of speed) and to avoid zones 4-5. Within the first 10 miles, I was to be well on my way with nutrition and hydration. I had 20 oz of gatorade on my aero bottle up front, another 20oz on by rear rack and 1 18 oz of Hammer Perpetuem on the down tube cage to last me 3 hours. On the second rear cage, I had an empty bottle with more Perpetuem to be mixed around mid-way point. I wanted to consume the 2 gatorade bottles within the hour and then replenish with water and drop a CamelBack Elixir tablet to add electrolytes each time I refilled - Just the way I had done it during training. Problem was that I left the tablets at home and although I picked up some GU tables, I chose to take in Ironman Perform. I took a bottle at each aid station and grabbed 2 water bottles as well - 1 for drinking and one to cool me down. It all worked great, or so I thought. Speed wise, I was doing better than I thought I would. I will attribute this to the wheel cover I put on the rear wheel, the aero helmet I picked up and the fact that it was flatter than my training routes here at home. A lot of people passed me on the first 20 miles or so but on the second half, it seemed like I was passing many more. In any case, the issue with the Ironman Perform drink is that it has 200 calories per bottle. I don't know how many I drank but it was a lot. I started to burp and feel bloated towards the end of the ride. I finished strong and the concentration on fluid intake paid off. There were many, many athletes being attended to on the later aid stations. I has happy to not have felt thirsty at all. Oh, I should also mention that I did not turn in a bike special needs bag. Everything I thought I needed I carried with me, same as during training.

T2 - off the bike and straight into the porta-potty. Terrible burping, boated and sour taste. changed socks, put on vaseline, sunscreen, grabbed hat and took off.

Run - Goal was to do 9:30 miles. I know that off the bike, I have a hard time, keeping the cadence down and as a result, tent to go faster than I should. Not this time. The bloating kept me from getting my running legs. Not much to say here other that it was HOT, walked a lot and completely thrashed the run leg which was to be my strongest. On the plus side, I learned a ton, I think my overall time was OK given the conditions, I stayed hydrated and more importantly, I crossed the finish line, under my own power and without drama. It was a great experience.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement along the way.

Armando
2013-05-21 10:46 AM
in reply to: Armandova

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Originally posted by Armandova

Hello everyone,

I am finally home. It was a long, long road to the finish line and crossing it felt great. I pretty much stuck to my plan with one notable exception which cost me a lot of time on the run. The weather was hot and humid. These are some of the details:

Swim - The plan was to use the wetsuit regardless of whether it was legal or optional. My goal was to spend as little energy as possible. On race morning, the temp crossed the 76.1 so it was wetsuit optional. There was no penalty for using it but we did have to start 10 minutes after the mass start. This was actually another plus for me because it never felt chaotic. I felt relaxed, never pushed the paced, did a lot of sighting to stay on track and to avoid other athletes. The buoyancy of the suit was huge for me.

T1 - I think it went relatively quick. I spent what it seemed like an eternity putting on my arm compression sleeves. I made sure the volunteers put a ton of sunscreen before I took off.

Bike - It was hot. Goal was to stay in HR zones 2-3 (regardless of speed) and to avoid zones 4-5. Within the first 10 miles, I was to be well on my way with nutrition and hydration. I had 20 oz of gatorade on my aero bottle up front, another 20oz on by rear rack and 1 18 oz of Hammer Perpetuem on the down tube cage to last me 3 hours. On the second rear cage, I had an empty bottle with more Perpetuem to be mixed around mid-way point. I wanted to consume the 2 gatorade bottles within the hour and then replenish with water and drop a CamelBack Elixir tablet to add electrolytes each time I refilled - Just the way I had done it during training. Problem was that I left the tablets at home and although I picked up some GU tables, I chose to take in Ironman Perform. I took a bottle at each aid station and grabbed 2 water bottles as well - 1 for drinking and one to cool me down. It all worked great, or so I thought. Speed wise, I was doing better than I thought I would. I will attribute this to the wheel cover I put on the rear wheel, the aero helmet I picked up and the fact that it was flatter than my training routes here at home. A lot of people passed me on the first 20 miles or so but on the second half, it seemed like I was passing many more. In any case, the issue with the Ironman Perform drink is that it has 200 calories per bottle. I don't know how many I drank but it was a lot. I started to burp and feel bloated towards the end of the ride. I finished strong and the concentration on fluid intake paid off. There were many, many athletes being attended to on the later aid stations. I has happy to not have felt thirsty at all. Oh, I should also mention that I did not turn in a bike special needs bag. Everything I thought I needed I carried with me, same as during training.

T2 - off the bike and straight into the porta-potty. Terrible burping, boated and sour taste. changed socks, put on vaseline, sunscreen, grabbed hat and took off.

Run - Goal was to do 9:30 miles. I know that off the bike, I have a hard time, keeping the cadence down and as a result, tent to go faster than I should. Not this time. The bloating kept me from getting my running legs. Not much to say here other that it was HOT, walked a lot and completely thrashed the run leg which was to be my strongest. On the plus side, I learned a ton, I think my overall time was OK given the conditions, I stayed hydrated and more importantly, I crossed the finish line, under my own power and without drama. It was a great experience.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement along the way.

Armando

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats, glad to see all your hard work paid off.....
2013-05-21 12:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Fantastic race Armondo!

Now for the real question???? Will you do another?
2013-05-21 7:56 PM

Simsbury, CT
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Fantastic race Armondo!

Absolutely. New goal will be to beat my time. I will just wait a while before I share the idea with my wife

2013-05-22 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by Armandova

Fantastic race Armondo!

Absolutely. New goal will be to beat my time. I will just wait a while before I share the idea with my wife

That's probably a good idea!
Good luck to you! I can't wait until I feel I will have the time to actually train for my first. maybe next year??

2013-05-24 7:13 PM

What a inspiration you all are! Armando, you did great! I watched finish line crossing for a while - so weird seeing so many people running, waving, smiling, and then collapsing right after finish. I cannot even imagine the effort needed to conquer those Ironman miles.
Wish me luck tomorrow - still very cold here, weather forecast for tomorrow's 7 am is 46F. I 'm starting to miss those 20 lb of fat I lost since start of tri training
2013-05-25 11:53 AM
in reply to: tukutuku

Simsbury, CT
tukutuku,

I am sure you will do just fine. Waiting to hear how it went.

2013-05-25 8:48 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina

Congrats Armondo! looks like you had an awesome race, I heard the heat was pretty bad. I guy in our tri group threw in the towel at mile 80 of the bike, of course he did 3 last year!
Can't wait to see the race report and hear your thoughts!

Great job Bull, way to stick it out, nothing worse than a mouth full of salt water to start your day. What kind of bike do you have? maybe a bike fit would help if you haven't had one yet. If you do get a new bike make sure you get a fit first. I believe that since i never got a fit it contributed to my back problem that required surgery.

Ran the Harpoon 5 miler in Boston yesterday, great race and lots of good beer after! I just wish i could find a way to get faster? 8:38 pace, i feel like I'm working hard, but not going anywhere? Oh well still had fun and I wasn't last by any means!

First swim since last fall tonight, felt pretty good, did 3/4 miles, water was nice at 63 deg. perfect for my sleeveless wetsuit, which is good since the ocean here never gets much warmer.

Been riding a cheap road bike. However my wife and biggest supporter bought me a new Tri- bike for father's day. Went Hawley's (LBS) today and got it all set up and brought it home. Didn't get a chance to ride it except up and down the street a few time, but compared to my old bike it's a rocket. Can't wait till tomorrow morning to give it a ride. I've got a tri that literally starts in my front yard in two weeks coming up. I can see the start/ finish line from my front Porsche, and I'm going to run ride the bike course in the morn.
2013-05-26 12:19 AM

I finished! Last morning I saw frost on the ground and seriously thought about backing out, but somehow drove to the park and got to the start line. There was approx 10 of us without wetsuits. The swim was cold, but not to the bone, what slowed me down was poor sighting. Approximately every 20 strokes I had to switch to breaststroke and look where I am going. I meant to watch you tube videos and practice in the pool, but oh well... Transition mistake was putting on long pants (imagine the dance I did) and leaving the hoodie. My arms were freezing on the ride. Now when I think back I should have pushed harder on the bike, instead I was just enjoying that I was done with the swim. At least I did not slam on brakes going downhills like I did last year. On my run I became more focused, sped up on the second loop, even passed couple people. My total time was 1:31, nothing special, but I still got medal for the first place in my age group. Overall that was a good race, I'm glad that I did it. Next week we are going to Boston, to our daughter's graduation, so I will have to improvise with the training. I hope the hotel will have fitness room and the pool.
Thanks for all encouraging words, it meant so much to me.
Bull congrats on your new bike! Just in time for the race.

Jurga
2013-05-26 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
That's a nice fathers day gift! Let's see some pictures.

2013-05-26 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Great job Jurga! Happy to hear you did so well, especially with out a wet suit!

You can head north from Boston and come swim with my tri club , our pond is warmer than what you swam in!
2013-05-27 1:05 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
I'll try to post some. Took the new bike pout yesterday for what wags going to be a 20 mile ride, 60 miles later I'm rolling in home. Just need to make a minor adjustment on the aero bars and I'll be good to go.
2013-06-01 7:08 AM

I know I haven't been on here very much. I've been super busy with work and family stuff. I have my very first Tri next weekend. Nothing big its 500m swim in a pool, 12 mi bike and 5k run. They call it the Tune Up Triathlon. The pool part is a little weird, they have four swimmers per lane that are supposed to be about the same speed. I'm really slow on the swim so I expect a later start time.

I'm a little nervous but looking forward to it!
2013-06-04 3:04 PM
in reply to: Bluewrx

User image

Regular
North Carolina
How did it go?
2013-06-05 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by Bluewrx

I know I haven't been on here very much. I've been super busy with work and family stuff. I have my very first Tri next weekend. Nothing big its 500m swim in a pool, 12 mi bike and 5k run. They call it the Tune Up Triathlon. The pool part is a little weird, they have four swimmers per lane that are supposed to be about the same speed. I'm really slow on the swim so I expect a later start time.

Have fun and make sure that you give us an update and remember nobody wins on the swim leg.

2013-06-06 7:39 AM

Originally posted by Bull

How did it go?

It the day after tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.
2013-06-06 7:41 AM

Originally posted by Bluewrx

Have fun and make sure that you give us an update and remember nobody wins on the swim leg.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Good advice. Hopefully I'll make up time on the bike that I lose in the swim.
2013-06-08 8:18 AM

Simsbury, CT
Hello everyone. I have not posted much since IMTX. My training is way down but still keeping active - Mostly running. I normally play soccer on Sundays but in prep for the IM, I did not play at all over the Spring for fear of getting hurt. Well, I played last Sunday and I ended up being more sore than after the IM!!! While I have the endurance to go the full game, my speed is gone. Definitely a very different way to use muscles when doing endurance vs speed activities. This past Thursday I did a Sprint and while I did not feel great, I did get PR for that particular race which I did 4-5 times last year. for the rest of the racing season I have 1 Olympic, 4-6 more sprints and a marathon in October. I was toying with the idea of doing a half IM in August but I am not sure I can get there mentally right now. Will see how the olympic goes and will go from there. How is everyone's training races coming alone? Have a great weekend.

2013-06-08 5:50 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm back to BT too, after all traveling and catching up on things at home and at work. This week my training consisted of 3 bricks and 2 swim workouts. Next week I would like to try OWS, water should be warm enough by now, but I'm concerned about "lake authorities" who think I am in grave danger and need to be pulled out of water, lifeguards in particular go berserk when I leave roped off beach area. One time I had park ranger following me in the car and telling me through loudspeaker to return to the shore.But that was in the past when I was swimming just for my own pleasure. Now I have a training schedule and don't want to miss workout only because someone feels people should not swim across the lake. How do you deal with that?
Bluewrx, Bull - how did your races go, and ,Bull, you owe us your bike pictures
Armando, your racing schedule is really crammed. Pardon my ignorant asking, but why race every other week?
2013-06-08 10:21 PM

Well, I finally got my first race under my belt even though I had a massive chest cold. I had been looking forward to it for such a long time that I just couldn't pass it up.

Swim - This was a pool swim with four to a lane which was unique to say the least. I swam a decent pace for 500M and finished it in just under 12 minutes which included the run to T1 since that was where the mat was.

T1 - The parking lost had a bunch of small gravel in it so I needed to spend extra time washing my feet before I put the socks on. I still haven't tried biking without socks. Overall it took about 1:38 to get out on and onto the bike.

Bike - I was able to pass 30 or so riders on the bike and only got passed once. It was a 2 lap course and on the second lap the wind really picked up and seemed to be either a headwind or crosswind most of the time. Finished in 42:06 which was 59th out of 178. Top 33% so I'm happy with that.

T2 - Think it went pretty well but had to go back for sunscreen which probably added 20 sec or so. Finished in 1:32

Run - I ran the pace I expected, it was windy and finished it in 30:07. I need to work harder on getting faster on the run. I ranked 118 on this part.

Overall all I had a great time and finished in 1:26:56. In my age group (45-49) I finished 14th out of 27 and overall 82 out of 178.

I'll take that!

2013-06-09 8:38 PM

Great job Bluewrx! Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon! I wish you many tri's in the future. The swim looks really weird: How did you start swim 4 in one lane? All together or one after another? How did you avoid collision with swimmer going in opposite direction?
What are your other races this season?
2013-06-11 2:35 PM

Simsbury, CT
Originally posted by tukutuku

Great job Bluewrx! Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon! I wish you many tri's in the future. The swim looks really weird: How did you start swim 4 in one lane? All together or one after another? How did you avoid collision with swimmer going in opposite direction?
What are your other races this season?

Agree, Congrats on the finish!
2013-06-11 2:46 PM

Simsbury, CT
Originally posted by tukutuku

• ..... Armando, your racing schedule is really crammed. Pardon my ignorant asking, but why race every other week?

• I started doing sprint tri's last year. The race series that I found is run by a local guy with great support from a LBS. The series consist of 5 sprints, 1 every other week and then an Olympic somewhere on a weekend. I plan on doing all the 5 sprints for several reasons: They are on Thrusdays at 6:20PM and not to far from work, I am usually back home by 8-8:30, it attracts serious and newbies, and most important, it is a fun race.

This year I will be doing another sprint that includes ocean swim. It will be held in the CT shores and it should be a different experience from the series I mentioned above. It will be my first tri with an ocean swim.

Lastly, the Olympic I will be doing on 7/14 is local on a small lake with clear, pristine water. It is a challenging local race with some hills. I am looking forward to seeing how I do on a little longer than sprints distance that does not take all day to complete. Good news is that I am only pre-registered for 2 races. How I feel at the time will dictate how many I actually do.

How about you, what does your race schedule look like?

2013-06-11 8:32 PM

Armando, you must be living in a very tri friendly place were people do triathlons on the way home from work. No wonder you are racing 10 times more than me. I'm getting ready to my peak race this season - Cincinnati Oly on 07/21 ( swim will be in Ohio river - anything but pristine ) After that I would like improve my snail pace, focus on running and complete half marathon in Sept or Oct (I still haven't chosen) and there is also a 10mi trail race early in November that caught my imagination.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22