BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2013-07-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: sundevil87

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed
Originally posted by sundevil87

Originally posted by jmac5032

Nice Thom. I saw the Boulder Ironman announcement as well although I dont think it will be in my plans.

I had a good time over at Tri Boulder. Finished my first Oly. My race report is up.

Jeff,

Read your report - super effort. I think you've got this tri thing down. Great numbers. Oddly, perhaps, your transition numbers stand out most to me considering it was your first tri. You are obviously a well conditioned and talented athlete, so the the event numbers are impressive, no doubt, but to get the transition numbers you did on your first time out is excellent.

Hopefully, we'll get a chance to meet at the 70.3. I'll be hanging around after the race. I racing in my Army trisuit - gold and black.

Thom

Thanks for the compliment Thom. I was ready to hit the podium but fell short on the run a bit. I was probably the only guy racing in mountain bike shoes on the bike though! Oddly enough they may have helped me with my flying dismounts since I dont have to pull my feet out early. I may just keep racing that way. I also use those elastic laces on my running shoes which help immensly. Learned that the hard way from the first time as I watched people pass me in transition while I was still bent over tying my shoes.

Jeff

2013-07-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: jmac5032

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

Thom, I am also glad Old Stage is not on the 70.3 course. It looks tough! How did it go with the 35 mph speed limit enforcement on the decent? Also how was the self-seeding process for the swim? Are people seeding based on an all-out 100 yard time or race pace 100 yard time? Mine are very different as I can suspect most people's would be.

I will look for you at Boulder 70.3. I race in a Rocky Mountain Tri Club kit. Its mostly blue with some yellow and black.

The decent was fast - they actually had a cop with a radar gun. I was on the brakes pretty hard. There was a fairly bad accident so the speed limit was a good thing otherwise it might have been worse.

I like the new swim start. I had clear water almost the whole swim. Was able to get into a nice three stroke breath rhythm and had my best sighting ever. At the Sprint it was set up by 100 times - for the Oly it was expected finish time. Either way works for me. Perhaps the expected finish time eliminates the question you posed. At the Sprint I got in the shoot based on my expected race pace time.

Thom
2013-07-28 8:46 AM

Hey,
Sorry for not posting earlier. Summer is always a busy time, but this summer with all the training and new job it has been particularly crazy. I thoroughly enjoyed Cincinnati Oly triathlon. My time was roughly about what I expected ( my goal was finish under 3h 5 min, ended up with 3h 9 min) , but other people were so much faster, so I finished with the last 10 . This was my first swim in the river and the speed was unbelievable thanks to a strong current, I finished my mile in 16:16. Bike was another story, heavy recreational bike is not the best choice for racing oly distance on rolling hills. Somewhere in the middle of the course I've got a very irritating back pain and could not think of anything else just how to get off the bike. And on the run portion I bonked, ended up slowly trotting from aid station to aid station, had no energy left to focus and pick up the pace even a little bit. Probably I should take a page from Thom's book about nutrition because half bagel and cup of Gatorade were clearly not enough to carry me through the race, I felt famished by the end of bike leg and was really looking forward to Gatorade at 3 mi of the run, the only place where it was offered.
Anyway it was good experience. Oly distance is so different from the sprint, and I feel challenged to do better next time. So now I'm in the market for new bike and also looking for new race to sign.
Enjoy the summer. Who is racing next?
Jurga
2013-08-01 5:19 AM
in reply to: tukutuku

Simsbury, CT

Hi Jurga, 

nice job on the Oly.  Based on the your nutrition and bike setup, I think your time was very fair!  On the one I did a few weeks ago, I did 2:59 and I had nutrition and I had my tri bike.  It was just first and sounds as though you might be hooked.   Be on the lookout for $$$ flying out from the back account now Cool.

I ended up eliminating 4 of the sprints I was planning on doing after the IM which really took a toll on me.  I am doing the Niantic, CT sprint on Saturday and that will be my last Tri for the year for me.  I then have a Ragnar at the end of September and the Hartford Marathon in October.   After that, I am going to get into bike spinning and swim mode hoping to build a good solid base on both sports as a foundation for IM Lake Placid next July.  I hesitated quite a bit about signing up but it will give me a goal for next year.  

Armando

2013-08-06 11:41 AM
in reply to: Armandova

User image

Denver, CO
I had a great race over at Boulder 70.3. They did a really nice job putting on this race. Despite the conditions on the run being no less than brutal, I had a good time.

Thom- I didnt get a chance to find you so sorry about that. We left fairly quickyl after the race as I had some family with me. I was wiped out after that one!

My race report is up.
2013-08-08 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado

I had a great race over at Boulder 70.3. They did a really nice job putting on this race. Despite the conditions on the run being no less than brutal, I had a good time.

Thom- I didnt get a chance to find you so sorry about that. We left fairly quickyl after the race as I had some family with me. I was wiped out after that one!

My race report is up.

Jeff,

No problem. I had a horrible race. In fact, I ended up bonking on mile 4.5 of the run and had to drop out. I went to the Med Tent and checked myself in. I had a blood pressure of 73/48 or close to it. I took three bags of IV fluid and only bumped my BP up to 90ish / 50 ish. They almost sent me to the hospital. In going over what happened with my old coach (who I have retained again for my upcoming HITS Palm Springs full distance race in December) it may have been a case of hyponatremia - too much liquid, not enough electrolyte.

This was a first for me - not finishing a race. I was completely bummed as I was on a pretty good pace to finish at 5:30 which is what my goal was.

Oh well, there is always next time. I learned a lot from this race.

Thom

2013-08-11 9:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO
Originally posted by sundevil87

My race report is up.

Jeff,

No problem. I had a horrible race. In fact, I ended up bonking on mile 4.5 of the run and had to drop out. I went to the Med Tent and checked myself in. I had a blood pressure of 73/48 or close to it. I took three bags of IV fluid and only bumped my BP up to 90ish / 50 ish. They almost sent me to the hospital. In going over what happened with my old coach (who I have retained again for my upcoming HITS Palm Springs full distance race in December) it may have been a case of hyponatremia - too much liquid, not enough electrolyte.

This was a first for me - not finishing a race. I was completely bummed as I was on a pretty good pace to finish at 5:30 which is what my goal was.

Oh well, there is always next time. I learned a lot from this race.

Thom

Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear about it. Were you drinking straight water too much? I saw a lot of people having trouble especially as I began my second lap and some people were just starting the run. I even passed a few guys that really looked fast too. I don't know maybe they blew up on the bike. On that first uphill after you leave the res. it looked like a death march!

I actually took 2 salt tablets on the bike which I think helped me. I know nothing new on race day but I wanted to be sure I was prepared for the hot weather.

Edited by jmac5032 2013-08-11 9:16 AM
2013-08-13 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi Everyone, Hope all is well with all of you!

Thom, sorry to hear about your race, but like you said there is always next time! I have a feeling I am in for the same results, albeit much slower, I have been so busy this summer that I really have not had time to train much and I have a 70.3 coming up in a few weeks. I was all set to just throw in the towel, but several people in my Tri club suggested that I just go for a swim that day, if I feel like it after go for a bike ride, if I make it through that go out for a run and just don't worry about how fast and if I decide I'm done oh well, so that is how I am going to approach it. It stinks that I have to go this route, but didn't have much choice this summer with my work schedule.
Hopefully next year will be better??

2013-08-16 7:53 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Hi Everyone, Hope all is well with all of you!

Thom, sorry to hear about your race, but like you said there is always next time! I have a feeling I am in for the same results, albeit much slower, I have been so busy this summer that I really have not had time to train much and I have a 70.3 coming up in a few weeks. I was all set to just throw in the towel, but several people in my Tri club suggested that I just go for a swim that day, if I feel like it after go for a bike ride, if I make it through that go out for a run and just don't worry about how fast and if I decide I'm done oh well, so that is how I am going to approach it. It stinks that I have to go this route, but didn't have much choice this summer with my work schedule.
Hopefully next year will be better??

Hey Dan,

Yep - totally sucked. I'm past it now ... sort of.

I have retained a coach for HITS Palm Springs. I am determined to finish in 12 hours - or better if I can. I know that I am a good enough athlete to put up that kind of result. I'm lacking the training discipline needed. But, I've landed a new job that will have me working at home about 1/2 the time, which should provide me flexibility to do the work.

Good luck to you Dan. I like the approach that your teammates provided. I think I will keep that in my back pocket.

Thom
2013-08-16 8:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Hey all,

I wanted to gauge your interest for continuing this group next season. What I thought was that we could put it up as an open group when they call for new mentorship groups later this year. With a number of experienced triathletes here, we could all kind of co-mentor. I know things have been kind of slow over the past few months, but there was a lot of good discussion early on and a smidge here and there as the season progressed.

For me, I've enjoyed the group and would be glad to keep in touch next year.

Thom
2013-08-18 8:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I definitely would like to keep in touch. It seems our group sort of dwindled to just a few but that is ok with me. I think I would enjoy sharing knowledge with some newbies next year.

2013-08-19 6:55 PM

Somehow it is sad seeing this group wrapping up, I used to come here for advice, motivation, sometimes to vent out, and you guys have been really understanding. So lick your injuries, take care of personal and professional lives, and get training back on track. Let's meet here next year.
So long,
Jurga
2013-08-27 3:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I would love to continue the group! I know we have dwindled some over the summer, but it would be great to keep it going into the off season.

anybody racing this weekend?

Doing a sprint with my Tri club Monday and then our annual lobster bake on the beach! then the following week is where I Tri to make it through my half that I am completely unprepared for!
On that note, what would be the recommendation on tapering, I have not been in the water for 3 weeks, hoping to get 2-3 swims in this week, last week I ran twice and so far this week have had 2 rides of 20 miles each . My plan is to get as many workouts as I can this week, do my club sprint Monday and then just some easy runs, bike and swim to stay loose after that?

Wish me luck
2013-08-27 8:08 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Dan,

Good luck on the upcoming races. I would honestly not even worry about a taper. A taper is really for when you have been putting in lots of volume sustained over several weeks and its time to drop down to allow your body to recover. Swimming really shouldn't take much out of you so I think you are fine swimming with your plans. In fact, if you haven't been in the water for 3 weeks, I would swim as much as you can, just don't kill yourself with massive interval sets. Just try and get your "feel" back. At this point you are unlikely to gain any fitness leading up to your HIM so I would say yeah, just keep at it and stay loose with your workouts.

Jeff
2013-08-27 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thanks Jeff, that is what I was thinking on the taper. Just going to go out and do what I can and move on, not much I can do about it at this point. It's still better than sitting on the couch.

Dan
2013-09-01 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Sounds great. I'll set the group up at the beginning of the year.

In the meantime, we can still keep in touch. I'm still racing. I have two Ragnars coming up (Colorado this weekend and Vegas in November). I'm also racing the HITS Palm Springs full distance race in December. I'd like to find a half before December just to make sure I'm ok after the Boulder debacle.

To that end, I re-engaged my coach (he coaches with D3 - who provide many of the training plans on BT). I'm back on track again and looking forward to a good race with a PB. Because I'm back with my coach, I'm using Training peaks as my prime logging tool. I'll try to post my workouts here as well.

Thom

2013-09-03 11:07 AM

User image

Denver, CO
Good luck in your next few races Thom.

This year's season is officially over for me since Ironman Boulder 70.3. I have decided to focus on cycling with more intense workouts but shorter rides. I am using the winter cycling BT plan which should get me through to the first of the year or so. Swimming is off until then and I will try and run a couple times per week. I am still dealing with a slight plantar issue that I pretty much trained through all year so I need to rest/ strengthen it. I want to work that out before I begin training for next year.

Next years goals will be to focus on more races in the Sprint and Olympic distances but with my season finishing in June or July. I thought it through carefully and I wont be racing any half irons. The training volume just got to be too much and it definately impacted my marriage. My wife agrees to the shorter races with a little less training volume and finishing in June or July for the season.
2013-09-08 8:49 PM

Simsbury, CT

Thom,

I have enjoyed the group so I am in for next year.   Not sure I mentioned it before but I got in for Lake Placid so I will definitely need to rely on the positive energy of the group.  

a

2013-09-08 8:58 PM

Simsbury, CT

Thom,

you have a busy racing schedule.  I have 1 Ragnar and 1 marathon left.  Then I am switching to all biking and some swimming.  I will keep coming back to keep tabs on your progress here. 

Dan,

Please post results of your 1/2. 

2013-09-10 5:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Well I actually finished my half and felt pretty good considering my lack of training. Total time was 6:20:01, swim was about where I expected 39:37, slow T1 due to a 250m hill climb coming out of the pond. Bike was 3:07:58, faster than what i was planning on, I was looking at more of a 15mph pace to make sure I had something left for the run, but ended up at about 17.9, just riding my old road bike with aero bars, I really need to get a tri bike! Another slow transition 3:28, trying to walk of a cramp from the bike dismount, at least I didn't fall when the hamstring locked up swinging my leg over the saddle . Then I hit my week part the run, 2:24 over what I thought was a very hilly course, but at my size I don't go up hills all that great! I went with my plan of run / walk as needed my legs felt pretty good after the first few miles, but my feet hurt which is the reason i walked most of the time, but overall I was very happy with my performance and look forward to doing another, hopefully with some consistent training under my belt and definitely a couple of belt holes smaller!

I guess I am officially a half Pumkinman? it was the Pumpkinman half

2013-09-10 9:23 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Nice job Dan. Way to go

2013-09-11 5:50 AM

Simsbury, CT

Dan, 

I am glad to see you go for it.  Your times were not bad at all considering the training vs work conflicts you had.   Double the time and more consistent training and you are looking at a full under 13hrs.   Nice work. 

Armando

2013-09-12 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thanks Jeff and Armondo!

Armondo, I like the way you think, however I think you are being pretty optimistic in thinking I can do a full in 13hrs

Hopefully I can get one or 2 Halfs in next year and then I want to volunteer for IMLT next year and see if I can get a lot for 2015?
2013-09-22 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Super. I'll look to keep the group up when the next season opens.

We had a great Ragnar Colorado. Our team finished the 192 miles in 28 hours, 47 minutes and 11 seconds - good enough for 29th place overall at at a team average pace of 9 min/mi.

Training is ongoing for HITS. Did a 73 mile bike ride today (4 hours 18 minutes). It was outdoors over some tough spots (read hills). I was pretty smoked when it was done. Still plenty of time before December.

I got a t-shirt from a friend at my retirement ceremony - it said "There is no offseason." I like it. For me this year this is certainly the case.

Thom
2013-09-22 8:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Congrats Dan. If you are overall pretty happy then that is what's important. That is what I love about this sport - especially for us age groupers. We compete against ourselves first - then the others around us second. Finishing and feeling good about it is what it is about. Build off this race and look toward next year's race schedule.

Thom

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Well I actually finished my half and felt pretty good considering my lack of training. Total time was 6:20:01, swim was about where I expected 39:37, slow T1 due to a 250m hill climb coming out of the pond. Bike was 3:07:58, faster than what i was planning on, I was looking at more of a 15mph pace to make sure I had something left for the run, but ended up at about 17.9, just riding my old road bike with aero bars, I really need to get a tri bike! Another slow transition 3:28, trying to walk of a cramp from the bike dismount, at least I didn't fall when the hamstring locked up swinging my leg over the saddle . Then I hit my week part the run, 2:24 over what I thought was a very hilly course, but at my size I don't go up hills all that great! I went with my plan of run / walk as needed my legs felt pretty good after the first few miles, but my feet hurt which is the reason i walked most of the time, but overall I was very happy with my performance and look forward to doing another, hopefully with some consistent training under my belt and definitely a couple of belt holes smaller!

I guess I am officially a half Pumkinman? it was the Pumpkinman half

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22