General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New with question Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-02 1:37 PM

Subject: New with question

Hi. I am planning on doing my frist sprint triathlon in Aug of this year. I'm 46 yo female, married and have 2 kids ages 25 and 15. My family is very supportive. I work in EMS and have a very demanding work schedule, 24 hour shifts, 2 to 3 days a week with long drives to work at times. I also need to lose about 50lbs. I have been doing the Run Your Butt Off program for the last few weeks after being sedentary for the past few months. I have only competed in two races, a local 5K several years ago and the Warrior Dash last April. My only biking and swimming experience is recreational. My question is, with 8 months to prepare, is it possible to get ready with a 3 to 4 day aweek training schedule?  Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks, Tamara

2013-01-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4558220

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: New with question

Welcome! Definitely, that is totally do-able :-)

Check out some of the training programs offered here on BT, I think you will find something that would fit into a 3 or 4 days you have off each week. If it works for you, doubling up on some of the workouts is a good experience, too.

Have fun!

2013-01-16 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Denver

Yes, it's definitely doable to be ready in 8 months, welcome to the madness!  I had no swimming background either when I started so my one piece of advice, and something I wish I'd done, is to see if you can find a beginning swimming class to get you started.  Even if you can get down to the other end just fine on your own now, swimming is so technique dependent that a little extra effort now will go far for you down the line and help you get up to speed much faster and easier.  Good luck!

2013-01-18 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
I was in your shoes last year, however I had 8 weeks to train. Yes you can do it! But as others have start swimming. You can bike at any pace yo want, run/ walk any pace, but swimming is a different story. Get in the water and swim, especially if you don't have much experience n the water. Open water swimming is quite different than pool swimming, so try and get in some open water swims once you are comfortable swimming for length of time. Congrats on your choice to do the sprint, it's addictive, for sure. Just make sure to read a lot of the posts here. You will learn a lot. Cheers!
2013-01-20 12:00 AM

User image

Welcome to BT! 8 months of training is plenty of time, even with a demanding work schedule, to get ready for a triathlon.. look through the various plans and find one that is focused on your weaker elements and you will be fine.  Family support is great and makes it much easier to get out there and train.  Good luck.
2013-01-20 9:19 AM

Regular
Alberta, Canada
So doable!

Here is my first tri story!

So about three years ago I had gotten pretty big 250lbs

I started training in Judo it was great got down to a fairly lean 220 ish when I tore my ACL and MCL, needless to say I gained some wieght back to around 230-240.

I graduated university got a fairly sedentary job working 14 hrs a day, so began eating and drinking lots ( I mean lots)

So spring came and I just happened to stand on a scale! 265!

I started jogging, said to my friend who was an avid runner we should do a 5K, the next week I ran 5k on a training run! called him up said we need to do a 10k 5 was too easy!

I started reading about triathlon in Menshealth and ended up here.

And with the great support from
BT I buckled down and in about 2.5 months I went from 265 - to 235 and completed a sprint triathlon! Still haven't done that 10k though!

Stick with it, logg your work outs and use a calorie tracking app I have been using "lose it" it's great!

Good luck on training and your goal, and remember to have fun!

2013-01-20 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
8 months is plenty of time to be ready to finish a sprint triathlon.  The mixture of training also staves off injury and is a great way to lose weight.  I'd been a runner for years before I started triathlons about 3 years ago.  It was at that point that I managed to lose the final 10 lbs of "baby weight" that I'd gained after our daughter was born (I was such a nice husband, I decided to gain the baby weight for my wife, ha!). One thing I would recommend is that as your event approaches, do 1-2 "bricks" or combined workouts consisting of a bike/ run.  It doesn't need to be the full distance but a 10 mile ride, followed by a one mile run should do the trick.  The first time I tried one, it was harder than I thought it would be. However, after a couple of brick workouts, it was much easier in a race situation.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New with question Rss Feed