BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-06-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
"Edit: Come on down, I need some sod laid!"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
omg, pass the Advil...

2013-06-04 10:23 AM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Baton Rouge
Since you're going to be in the "area" I need some mulch put down :-) tis a taper week for me, have a duo on Sun. hoping I don't crash and burn on the 2nd run like I did in my last duo a few weeks ago. That run was just HOT!!! Never had a chance to acclimate to the heat and it knocked me from 1st female overall to 2nd :-(. I've had a few hot runs the last two weeks but I'm still not used to the heat yet. Crossing my fingers for "cool", low humidity weather on race day!
2013-06-04 11:49 AM
in reply to: tygr_tri

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
you'll do great! Lessons learned from last time will help huge, I'm sure. I'll send some cooler weather down... we're back to 60* and sunny for another day or so.
2013-06-04 3:09 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
I'll be in your shoes post this race, not having another race for a while and not really knowing what training plan to get on or when. I'll probably put together some abridged training plan since I'm not coming into the race with zero base. Whatever plan I use I intend to add more running to it. I don't think I have a solid run base and just kinda get by. I'll FINALLY do a tri in July, unless I happen to find one to do at the end of this month.

I got invited to participate in the USAT Duathlon National Championship in Oct. and I plan to go out to Tuscon and participate in that, seems kinda COOL! Also seems like it's a long way away! I don't have an "A" race, so I may make this it. This was supposed to be the year of the tri for me but it seems like the dus are where it's been for me thus far.
2013-06-04 3:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Taper week!! Rest up and hit it hard! I drink lots of Gatorade the day before to make sure my sugar and hydration levels are up. Beat the heat!
2013-06-04 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
"I got invited to participate in the USAT Duathlon National Championship in Oct."

YEEEEEAHHHHHHH!! Superstar!!!!! You totally rock. Congrats.

Re: training plan, I switched to the 16-week Sprint plan-Run focus to improve my run leg, and I'm working Month 3 for now until my next race July 7, and then back to Month 3 and 4 to get me to my A race Sept 1.

2013-06-04 10:14 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Taper week!! Rest up and hit it hard! I drink lots of Gatorade the day before to make sure my sugar and hydration levels are up. Beat the heat!

Great advice!!! I never thought about cramming the Gatorade to get the sugar and hydration up.
2013-06-06 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Originally posted by tygr_tri

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Great advice!!! I never thought about cramming the Gatorade to get the sugar and hydration up.

I pee so much the day before a race it's not even funny. I do the tee-tee dance while standing in line for packet pickup, lol. A Sprint, not so much, but anything longer, you bet! When I ran my first 1/2 Marry a few years ago I was cramping after the race and it took a couple of days to recover from the soreness. My diet was in check, I hydrated during the race, etc. Four weeks later and some more reading on hydration/nutrition I put the Gatorade (or any reputable sports drink) theory to the test. This time I felt great at the finish with a new PR, went shopping with my wife and daughter, and very little soreness the next day. There wasn't enough conditioning during those four weeks to make a difference in performance.

Before my marathon earlier this year I drank 2 liters of Gatorade two days before and 3-4 liters of Gatorade one day before, plus some water and my ceremonial pre-race day beer but that's another topic. I also ate the same small meals I'd been eating over the course of the training plan, just scaled back on total calories due to the taper, decreased work load

This is WELL worth the $10-15:

Nutrition Periodization for Endurance Athletes: Taking Traditional Sports Nutrition to the Next Level
http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Periodization-Endurance-Athletes-Tr...
2013-06-09 11:05 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
No cramping!!! First race all season I can say that! You can best believe I'm adding Gatorade to my race week pans from now on. I was/am good about hydrating in general but never thought about also hydrating with Gatorade or powerade for that matter. The race itself, tough hilly course, run was on a hilly levee and the bike took me across the Mississippi River bridge and back! Unfortunately my 2nd run was again my nemesis and sucked!! :-( gotta figure out what's going on there because all of my bricks to date have been fine, my data doesn't lie! Ended up 4th in my AG/ 28/98 female OA. Not bad for the tough course but should have been better had my 2nd run been on par with my training. On to the next one!
2013-06-10 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Great breakthrough!! Well done on the race, and super result!
2013-06-10 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Congrats! Sounds like a great race, well done!

I'm chomping at the bits! Haven't raced in four months and I'm really regretting the dropped tri a while back. This is my last month of building before my bike race. Yawl are keeping me motivated!!

2013-06-11 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Don't regret the missed race... use it as a tool to light your fire even MORE for your upcoming race!! You're going to smoke all them cowboys!

Knocked 30 secs off a well-documented route at lunch today. That felt good. I'm a bit behind on training for Peterborough next month... life has gotten in the way of SB, but the R has stayed on course. I'm not b concerned about the B, being my best leg of the three... but do have to try to catch up on the S which totally destroyed my last race. Hoping to get out to OWS twice before the 7th and try to knock some of the panic off my race. Its totally irrational, so i think just getting out in calmer waters a couple of times will at the very least build some confidence.

Lots of distractions this week. Sammi has her first race on Saturday! She can take things a bit too seriously at times, so I just hope she comes through it with a smile on her face. We're practicing biking lots, as she's most anxious with that, but the kid can outrun me without trying, (she's 5... FIVE!!), so the run will not be an issue for her. I can't wait to cheer her on :D
2013-06-11 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Oh and forgive me just a bit while I pseudo-brag... A good friend from work came out to my race a couple of weeks back and brought her daughter and said boyfriend - they have a blossoming media company - with the thought of inspiring them to look outside the box for media and marketing opportunities. Little did I know, they were filming! The made me a movie :D Its not too often that as adults, we get this kind of record when starting a new activity. I'm pretty excited to use it as a "before" and in a couple year's time, have an "after" so see where triathlon and healthy eating have gotten me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UdzOiKfMY4&feature=youtu.be

Apparently chubby girls CAN run! I'm calling it "enhanced bio-feedback". LOL. I kid, i'm not THAT self-depricating, but i certainly don't fit the mold of the average athlete on the course. A work in progress...
2013-06-12 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
How cool is that! And what a beautiful day that was. My son is a photography major but I can't get him out of the bed that early on race day, lol.

"build some confidence" - That's the ticket!!! And, there's only one way to do it!
2013-06-18 3:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Gosh, things have been busy, and it's everything BUT SBR it seems. Ahhh, two weeks until race #2. The way training is going, i think i'll go in with the mindset to make it an extended training day and zero expectations for improvement over race #1 (except maybe not freaking out in the water). Speaking of training, Sammi tried HER first tri and is already talking about next year's. She just started swimming lessons this year, and so with a lifejacket was SUPER slow in the water (just like mom!) but i didn't touch her, so she did all by herself. She did awesome shivering her way through T1 and onto the bike (which has also been a major stress for her) and got through it just fine. Then she powered past like 5 kids on the run. i was running with her almost all out and BARELY made it to the finish before her. Hmmm. 5 years old and already outrunning me. But proud of her and her determination! She'll teach me a thing or two i'm sure.

(race pic.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
race pic.JPG (38KB - 27 downloads)
2013-06-19 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Very cool!

And, I hear you on the busy part. Me too!

Stick to it and keep making those deposits into the SBR bank so you can cash it in on race day. I'm about six weeks out on my Tour De Goatneck race so I'm trying to load up. Not easy with real life getting in the way. And just when there's a window the weather turns on me, lol.

2013-06-23 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Ok, my hat is totally off to you southerners... went for a 5K run today... humidex is 100*F. Have never felt so close to death as I did today. This week coming is our first string of consecutively hot days... good adaptation for summer races but O.M.G. I have much to learn about hot weather running. I just walked a whole heck of a lot and prayed for shade. There was nothing else to do!

2 weeks until race #2. Looks like the weather is supposed to be stupid hot and humid this week and then cool for the following one. I will go hard this week with the hopes that the cool off will mean swift feet!

hope all are well!
2013-06-25 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Not just for when you're running! Stay hydrated all the time. Get some salt tabs and pop one 15-20 minutes before your run and every 20-30 minutes during your runs. Get a water bottle you can hold while running and take sips. I've even driven around and stashed water bottles along my route. Just go back and pick up the empties.

Get a cap to wear like Halo or Head Sweats brand, maybe even with a neck cover built in. Evaporation keeps you cool. Invest in some lite running clothes that dry fast.

You're coming out of winter so it will seem hotter. Adaptation! That's what we're doing, making our bodies adapt to the physical work of triathlon. Work you're way into it. Take small bites. Listen to your body. By mid summer it will be no big deal.

We're at 80*F (26.6 C) with 75% humidity at 6 am pushing 97*F during the day. Finally, SUMMER is ON!!
2013-06-26 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
And..

I have another BT friend in Canada. She attempted her first 70.3 last weekend and it didn't go well. The heat was more than she could handle and bonked on the run with bad cramps. She said she wasn't alone. Be careful out there!
2013-06-26 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I feel for her. Sat/Sun were horrible weather. My (headsweats!) hat went off to anyone who was racing in Welland!
Check the hydration. i've always been able to get away with substandard hydration, but clearly I won't be able to with more dedicated training this summer. Advice taken! Thx. One week to go!!
2013-06-27 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by pilot_e

Gosh, things have been busy, and it's everything BUT SBR it seems. Ahhh, two weeks until race #2. The way training is going, i think i'll go in with the mindset to make it an extended training day and zero expectations for improvement over race #1 (except maybe not freaking out in the water). Speaking of training, Sammi tried HER first tri and is already talking about next year's. She just started swimming lessons this year, and so with a lifejacket was SUPER slow in the water (just like mom!) but i didn't touch her, so she did all by herself. She did awesome shivering her way through T1 and onto the bike (which has also been a major stress for her) and got through it just fine. Then she powered past like 5 kids on the run. i was running with her almost all out and BARELY made it to the finish before her. Hmmm. 5 years old and already outrunning me. But proud of her and her determination! She'll teach me a thing or two i'm sure.

OMG that is the cutest thing I have seen she is awesome! My daughter is 3 and we want to teach her to swim soon....

Sorry I haven't posted much, about to sign up for July 20 sprint....I'm not ready, but I am going to do it anyway...

Will post more soon.

2013-06-27 1:37 PM
in reply to: neuronet

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Glad you popped on! Heck yeah, go for the sprint!
2013-06-27 6:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Originally posted by pilot_e

I feel for her. Sat/Sun were horrible weather. My (headsweats!) hat went off to anyone who was racing in Welland!
Check the hydration. i've always been able to get away with substandard hydration, but clearly I won't be able to with more dedicated training this summer. Advice taken! Thx. One week to go!!

Here's my fuel for today:

Goal: 3.5 hours cycling. HR Z2-3 first two hours, Z3-4 last hour.
Temp 101°F; RealFeel® 106°; humidity 28%; beautiful blue Texas sky!!

Heck of a lot of sunscreen. Water and rest after I mowed the lawn. Gatorade this morning. Good breakfast but leftover pizza for lunch. Yeah, I know

On the bike:
48 oz water
24 oz Gatorade
5 salt tabs
3 GU Gels

Off the bike:
24 oz water (drank too fast, blah)
24 oz Gatorade
24 oz Whey protein drink
1 salt cap
1 Tribulus cap - Give me a break, I'm 47 years old!!
FOOD - anything I can pull out of the refrig and cram in my mouth, heated or not!!!

15 minutes stretching and some yoga. While I eat ;o)

Actual: HR Z3-4 all the time with spikes into Z5 and even Z6. Needs to be lower!!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2013-06-27 6:05 PM
2013-06-28 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Dude, you are a MACHINE. Wowsers... i don't even think i drink that much in a week! Good to see. Well done in the heat! 28% humidity... geez, we only get that in the dead of winter! today is 96% here.
2013-06-28 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
pilot_e's daughter inspired me to do my planned July 20 triathlon. It is the Triangle Tri, 750m swim, 17.5 bike (ouch), and 5k. I will be able to finish it, the key is preparing enough to not die in the middle.

One important background bit: in winter 2011 I was in a bad bike accident, broke both arms, three ribs, and a bone in my hand (flipped over handlebars) and I haven't really been the same on my bike since. I prefer to ride on rollers, and am scared to go as fast as I used to. I haven't done a tri since the accident (before that I did about 5 tris).

So I see this as an important step in breaking through my fears.....

Plan is to do a 5k, 12 mile bike, and to go the site for a 750m swim (on different days, not a brick workout ).

See how I feel, and then regroup from there.

I have been excercising all this year, but just not as high volume as I'd like. E.g., this morning I swam 200m I run 20 minutes at a time, and typically swim just 15 minutes or so.

Time to ramp it up, so next year I can actually be in tri shape!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18