BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-06-28 2:38 PM
in reply to: neuronet

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
Awesome, you can do it! Sounds like you're taking the right approach of just getting out there and working through each stage, not trying to set any land-speed records. I can understand your hesitancy on the bike... that sounds like a very traumatic accident. If I were in your position, I would leave my watch at home and make my goal to complete each leg feeling good about the effort. You have the advantage of experience here having competed 5 races already but with time gone by since you've last raced, you can look at the experience with fresh eyes and a different focus

As for Sammi... she was nervous about the bike too, having had some "major" crashes since we raised her training wheels up, but once the whistle blew, she seemed to forget about it all, and just stayed in the moment... once she got on the track to run, the engine opened up and she flew down the homestretch! Was a major hurdle in her regaining her confidence too!

2013-06-30 1:18 PM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I DID IT I DID IT!!!! Finally got out to a small lake without any pressure or crowds or anything, and FINALLY proved to myself that I can, in fact, swim in open water. It took me about 5 minutes to get in and get over the cold shock and get moving, but I just started with a little head-up breaststroke and gradually dunked further and further as I went, concentrating on breathing and staying relaxed. Then I "took the plunge" and tried to do a little "face in front crawl" (oooooh, SOOOO brave, Erica!!!!) and after a few sputtery strokes, got it together and just swam. Worked on sighting, worked on different breathing patterns, worked on concentrating on the feeling on my face (cold!) and ended up putting down a broken-up 500m or so. I am SO pleased that happened. I feel a renewed sense of hope for the race next week. I have a feeling losing a breath due to oversplash is what's starting the panic cycle, but up to now, i've never had the proof that all things being calm, am ok in the water. so with that behind me, I'm going to do some visualization between now and next sunday on getting swamped and hit, and just continuing on. I CAN DO THIS! Redemption is MINE!!!
2013-06-30 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Ouch, neuronet! I'm sorry to hear that but glad you're getting back into it. I remember when I first got my bike. My heart rate would go up when I was going down hill. Scared!

*Happy Dance* for the new OWS!
2013-06-30 8:22 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
I missed a ride this weekend. My son surprised me with a late Father's Day/birthday skydive trip! That was fantastic!!
2013-07-01 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
GAH! Why would you jump out of a perfectly good airplane?!?!?! :D
Sounds thrilling!!!!!!!!! Totally worth a missed ride. I'm sure your heartrate was up in Z10,000 or something
2013-07-01 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by pilot_e

Awesome, you can do it! Sounds like you're taking the right approach of just getting out there and working through each stage, not trying to set any land-speed records. I can understand your hesitancy on the bike... that sounds like a very traumatic accident. If I were in your position, I would leave my watch at home and make my goal to complete each leg feeling good about the effort. You have the advantage of experience here having competed 5 races already but with time gone by since you've last raced, you can look at the experience with fresh eyes and a different focus

As for Sammi... she was nervous about the bike too, having had some "major" crashes since we raised her training wheels up, but once the whistle blew, she seemed to forget about it all, and just stayed in the moment... once she got on the track to run, the engine opened up and she flew down the homestretch! Was a major hurdle in her regaining her confidence too!

Thanks for the support, it really helps. Just got back from Boston visiting family, the most exercise I did this weekend was lifting ice cream to my face. Time to get back in the swing after a weekend of traveling.

This week I plan to do each event individually, as I said, starting with run tomorrow.

2013-07-01 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Need to remember that it is ok to walk the whole race. Even walking the swim and bike is possible. I can swim so slowly it is basically not even exercise. I can bike so slowly that it doesn't feel like work (exception: up tough hills, which the 17.5 mile course will have if memory serves).

I can do this, I don't need to injure myself or be stupid, I just need to get out there and DO IT!!!
2013-07-01 4:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Originally posted by neuronet

Need to remember that it is ok to walk the whole race. Even walking the swim and bike is possible. I can swim so slowly it is basically not even exercise. I can bike so slowly that it doesn't feel like work (exception: up tough hills, which the 17.5 mile course will have if memory serves).

I can do this, I don't need to injure myself or be stupid, I just need to get out there and DO IT!!!

Well said!!

I think my HR was only Z9....lol

Edit: I put in a work ticket to see why we're not getting email notifications when someone post on this thread. I hate "checking" it all the time. Notifications are much easier!!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2013-07-01 4:05 PM
2013-07-03 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou
Edit: I put in a work ticket to see why we're not getting email notifications when someone post on this thread. I hate "checking" it all the time. Notifications are much easier!!

Great catch, this would be very helpful to have...
2013-07-03 1:04 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
Hey guys! Sorry I been MIA but I'm still around! Heat acclimation can be brutal! I just throw all of my 'goals' out of the window and just listen to my body and realize that for a little while I'll be slower than normal and it's ok.
2013-07-04 8:24 AM
in reply to: tygr_tri

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
No worries. It's amazing how much slower one has to go to keep the same heart rate in the heat!

2013-07-04 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
So you're saying i should add a buffer onto my 'I'll be here at this time" times for my spectators on Sunday, then?
Forecast: 86*F, Humidex 100*
But dammit, I'll be able to put my face in the water this time... savour the small victories, people!
2013-07-06 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Stick to you're plan but know that you may need to deviate from it. I watch my HR and pace during a race and that's all. When my HR isn't able to hold the pace I want I slow down till it does. I'll admit I push it further than I should at times but heck, it's a race!
2013-07-09 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!! What a great race!!!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Saved from the weather... humidity was about 85-90%, but a cloud cover kept the temperatures feeling much more reasonable. Temps ended up being low 80s, with humidity making it feel like low 90s. Dripping wet at the end, as nothing was able to dry on the bike or run.

I swam!!! I swam like a swimmer!! Was a bit disappionted that I wasn't much faster swimming properly than panicking in a wetsuit in freezing water, but mentally, I'm really to progress which was my goal for that leg. Took 6 minutes off my bike leg and 3 minutes off my run leg. Hydration with e-Load made SUCH a difference going into the run. The course was physically rough... harsh rough country roads with lots of hazards, and mostly on-grass cross country running, with a brush right past the finish line with almost a whole KM to go... and the volunteers are all "you're there... can you hear the finish line??"... not realizing HOW much farther I had to still go. Jerks

Lessons learned... #1: if travelling to a destination, don't leave your bike in the car on a hot day. Pulled my bike out of the car at the venue with a blown back tire. The heat in the car the previous day blew out the tube. Fortuantely as I was panicking at the car not being able to blow up my back wheel, the kind folks at the next car offered me a tube (which I politely turned down... my stupidity shoudln't cost them their backup) and then they assured me that there would be SOMEONE there who could help out. So we found the bike vendor and was able to purchase a new tube and they put it in for me. Lesson #2. Learn to change your own darn tire. Lesson #3. prior to racing, check BOTH tires... I didn't do this. My husband noticed after the race that on my front tire, the tube was sticking out THROUGH the tire... a blowout just waiting to happen. Oh, and my headset was loose enough to turn by hand. Yeah... rough country roads, going downhill at almost 50km/h and my front tire just moments from blowing. THAT could have been bad. omg.. needless to say, we bought another tire at the race and i will be having my bike inspected this week before I go riding again. I'll be honest... did say a quick thanks to God for keeping things in one piece, and have learned lessons... so many lessons...

So I'm still on a total high from Sunday's performance and cannot wait to see what even more training over the next two months will bring me for my A-race on Sept 1! I should also mention... over the last month, I've been doing a Whole30 cleanse, getting the sugar out of my system and teaching my body to fuel the way its supposed to...Honestly, training was BRUTAL and I missed many workouts due to life getting in the way. But I've dropped 13 lbs in that time, and will be continuing with a low-sugar diet. i feel fanstastic, have learned how to eat again, and the results were pretty stunning here. Recovery was quicker... performance was stronger. With more consistent training over the next two months, I think I can be pretty proud of what I've acccomplished this year.

Below is some silliness just after I got to run through the hose :D

Thanks guys!!

Edited by pilot_e 2013-07-09 9:02 AM

(IMG_4002-crop-chop.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_4002-crop-chop.jpg (199KB - 26 downloads)
2013-07-09 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Fantastic! You ROCK! Sorry so late in checking the threads. I've been slammed at work, home, etc., etc...

That's what keeps you coming back
2013-07-12 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Rocked it! Great job, great lessons. Thanks for the update!

2013-07-14 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Big toe is either broken or bruised. Having trouble with the pressure of a shoe and making the darn thing bend so I can, you know, WALK. Damn kids chairs. :S Will take it easy on the running this week and focus on some swimming and putting my bike back together.
2013-07-15 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by pilot_e

Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. Big toe is either broken or bruised. Having trouble with the pressure of a shoe and making the darn thing bend so I can, you know, WALK. Damn kids chairs. :S Will take it easy on the running this week and focus on some swimming and putting my bike back together.

Sorry to hear that

Just remember:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE
2013-07-15 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Totally need that :D
Thanks!
2013-07-16 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Booo, hurt toes!

It's be in the 70's with rain for the last three days. Where am I? This ain't July in Texas!
2013-07-16 6:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
It's up here. 90's all week. You can have it back ANYTIME.
Looks like just a big bruise. Swelling is down enough for me to see the tendons over the top of my toe now. YAY! Just a short break (pardon the pun)

2013-07-17 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hot here in North Carolina, super-humid, super-hot. The run leg of tris is always brutal here in NC in the summer, I just live for the people with the water cups! (But I can't complain to someone from Arizona )

My first triathlon in almost three years is Saturday. I raced this one back in 2007, I believe, in my first tri ever, so I am coming full circle. 750m lake, 17.5 m bike, 5k. I don't plan to do it fast, but I do plan to finish in 2-2/5 hours (yes, that is very slow, feel free to make fun =)).,

I am very excited, as I have been through so much since my last triathlon: knee, achilles, back issues, and injuries from bike accident. Knock on wood, all are pretty well under control, so I am excited to be racing again! can't wait for that adrenaline at the starting line waiting for the starting gun.

Biggest change since last triathlon: I'm a daddy. My daughter turns 3 tomorrow! Having a baby makes training a lot more of a challenge, but she is worth it. My long-term goal is to do a half-iron, and this sprint is the first stepping stone.

Can't wait until my little girl is old enough to go running with me. Now she is very interested in getting one of those strollers you put behind your bike so she can come on bike rides. Has anyone here used those, and any recommendations (other than do not attach it to my tri bike, but to a more safe street bike )?

Edited by neuronet 2013-07-17 10:10 AM
2013-07-17 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Originally posted by neuronet

My first triathlon in almost three years is Saturday. I raced this one back in 2007, I believe, in my first tri ever, so I am coming full circle. 750m lake, 17.5 m bike, 5k. I don't plan to do it fast, but I do plan to finish in 2-2/5 hours (yes, that is very slow, feel free to make fun =)).,

Can't wait until my little girl is old enough to go running with me. Now she is very interested in getting one of those strollers you put behind your bike so she can come on bike rides. Has anyone here used those, and any recommendations (other than do not attach it to my tri bike, but to a more safe street bike )?

Good luck, man! Let us know how it goes.

I've never used strollers but we have some people in the neighborhood that have them. My kids were older when I started running. Both of them went with me a couple of times then wised up, lol.
2013-07-19 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
HAVE A FANTASTIC RACE!!!!! Can't wait to hear how it went :D Enjoy the atmosphere and the excitement.

I've met up with another nearby BTer and we're going to try a new OWS on Sunday together. Then its vacation week, so i'll do what I can, but not going to beat myself up over if. Looks like this heat wave is over by the end of today, thankfully! This has been UNREAL. then after this week, meeting a swim coach to start deconstructing my horribly slow stroke. Looking forward to some guidance.

have a great weekend, folks!
2013-07-19 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Just tentatively placed Memorial Herman Ironman 70.3 on my calendar for April of 2014. It's really hard not looking at a 70.3 this year but moving my son into college for his Freshman year has us all a little hesitant to commit to anything in the fall. The race is in Galveston which is right on the Texas gulf coast. (We love it there!) So, flat and fast unless the wind picks up and slams you. The OWS is in the gulf behind a wave break on the ocean side and with large concrete steps, almost the full distance of the swim, coming out of the water for spectators on the land side. The list of pro triathletes that attend this race is huge. Maybe I'll see some finish when I come out of the water for T1, lol.

That's cool hooking up with a BT'er. I've yet to find anyone around here doing triathlons and, most importantly, is on my schedule.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2013-07-19 6:28 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18