General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3disciplines
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 59s
Overall Rank = 103/157
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, didn't eat, nor did I want to. My friend Greg and my wife Leslie competed in this event as well. Greg met up with us at 6:00am and we headed to Belle Isle. Note: My parents attended this event as spectators. In 10 years of Marathoning and more recently triathloning, this is the first event any family member has attended. I enjoyed that quite a bit.
Event warmup:

Not much of one. There was a mile bike ride from T1 to T2 so that can be considered a mini warmup I guess.
Swim
  • 46m 6s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

All I can say is I swam better in this race than I have in most others, and it still took me 46 minutes. The current was a bear to contend with and I am certain the course was longer than 1500 Meters. Nothing confirmed in that area though. It was certifiably the most tiring swim I have done to date. There was a point where I was watching the weeds to make sure I was making progress... I took three strokes and was looking at the same weed. Anyway, I appreciate it for it's difficulty. During the run, I was running with a female triathlon swimming coach and we were talking about the swim. She told me this swim timed longer for her than her Ironman split. At that point I knew for sure that I could not measure this race to any other for the sake of comparing times.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Just be prepared better mentally for a difficult swim. That aside, I am still going to solicit the services of a swimming coach
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

This was a little longer than St. Anthony's. The only real comparison I have when getting out of a wetsuit in an oly distance tri. I did it at Gulf Coast, but circumstances were much different. I was slower than I would like. I never felt like I was in a hurry and that needs to change.

Develope a sense of urgency in transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 24s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Good solid ride for me. Nothing to really complain about. I enjoyed it. Counting the laps was a piece of cake. Riders were responsible for counting how many laps they did. The oly tri required 4 laps. Easiest bike course I've done to date. Guy thanked me at the end for pacing him.. he then took off like a bat out of hell on the run. No chance of him pacing me.

uuummm.. nothing. Get better on the bike. Ride more. Do more time trials. All too often I am on conservative rides which are great for long distance triathlons, but do little for Olympic and shorter distance triathlons.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Still a little longer than I would have liked. I choose the wrong row twice while looking for my spot. Terrible. I could have done T2 in ~1 if I didn't screw that one up.

Remember where my transition spot is, mark it better. I forgot my USMC transition towel so my usual marker was not there. Also, this was a second transition location. I kind of went to the area where my swim spot was in T1. Anyway, lack of mental alertness on my part.
Run
  • 1h 00m 5s
  • 6.56 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I really enjoyed this run. I talked to a few athletes along the way, was encouraged, and did some encouraging myself. That is my favorite part of Triathlon, all the interaction between participants. My buddys support team was out on the course. It being a two loop course, I received a lot of support from them.. that was a first for me, and very neat.

Get faster. If I improve my bike, my run will improve as well. I can get faster. My 10k time should be sub 50. This run should have been around 54, 55 min at the most.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal, ate some food, met up with my parents, wife, and friend plus his family. I was a bit dizzy at the end which made me anxious. I think one begets the other and it's a viscious circle. I'll figure it out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The Prime rib and potatoes sticking to my ribs from the previous nights dinner? It was my parents 45th wedding anniversary dinner. Well worth the sacrafice.. if you can even call it that.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this for a first time event. It's my birthplace and for me, there were no issues that would prevent me from coming back. Can it get better? Sure. Great race Jersey and medal and a low price for admission. The swim was a monster that I won't soon forget. Makes it all the more memorable though.

Last updated: 2006-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:06 | 1500 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/30
Overall: 121/157
Performance: Average
Suit: All3sports tri top and shorts
Course: I'm borrowing this course description from another BT'er as it describes it perfectly. It was in the shape of a Martini Glass with the bottom beach as the base, entering the water going up the stem, splitting two bouys, then prodeeding to the right side up the glass. Turn left, swim along the top of the glass, turn left again, drop back down the glass, back to the stem, split the two bouys again, then back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:24 | 23 miles | 20.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/30
Overall: 73/157
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops around Belle Isle. Very slight elevation changes. The view of the city was excellent..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:05 | 06.56 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/30
Overall: 94/157
Performance: Average
Course: Great little two loop run course. The first part was on interior island roads, the second was on an interior island trail. The trail part was excellent and much appreciated. The run was 6.56 miles as oppoosed to 6.21. That was confirmed on the results.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-27 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-06-27 5:22 PM
in reply to: #467725

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Wow - sounds like a killer swim! I like the description of the swim course, very easy to picture. I can't imagine doing a 4 loop bike course (I have a short attention span), but it sounds like it worked fine for you. Good race overall - it's always fun to have family there to cheer you on too!
2006-06-27 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice report Ron. I take it that the course was unusual because of the river, currents, etc.? Great experience. It continues this year's theme for you which is 'can I finish before drowning' (St. Anthony's, Belle Isle,) What's next? The Columbia River or Niagara Falls?

Seriously though, sounds like a cool race with a few twists. I think your time is good and the performance solid.

Congrats! See you @ WPL!

2006-06-28 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Awesome job on what sounds like a tough race, Ron.  Congrats on coming through and finishing strong.

Bike jersey sounds cool - wish more races gave away those instead of t-shirts.  Very cool that your parents came out to watch as well.

You'll kick the next race and have a great time doing so.  Can't believe that you forgot so much stuff whilst packing.  It's like you need someone to tell you everything that you need to bring/remember.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motor City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed