General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Rae #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Rae #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Long Branch, New Jersey
United States
Sandy Hookers Triathlon Club’s
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 10m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, ate a bagel and had half a bottle of gatorade. Filled up my bike tires, loaded up my car and drove the 45 minutes to the race. Signed in for the race and set up my tranisition area. There were no race numbers or assigned spots in the TA, so I followed others.
Event warmup:

No real event warm-up, just a sprint about 15 minutes prior to the pre-race meeting to the port-o-johns, which were a half mile away. Someone was really thinking when they put them that far away.....
Swim
  • 8h 47m 5s
  • 547 yards
  • 1h 36m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

First OWS in my life and it started in the Altantic Ocean, I couldn't have picked a worse place. The only saving grace is that I was not the only newbie out there and the water was relatively calm. At the gun, I ran down the beach and immediately dove over a wave and off I went. The first few minutes felt great, I was swimming as if I was in the pool, but then I lifted my head to sight and all went down hill. I realized that what felt like a far distance was really no where, I was far off course and I couldn't put my head back into the water. I was out of breath and the water was too cold for my face. I started to do some side stroke (never practiced that ever) too catch my breath. I turned it into breast stroke eventually. Finally, when I was back in the sync with myself, I went back to free style and it wasn't bad. I just had to relax and remember there are two other events after the swim. I got to the buoy which was very crowded with the ladies in the heat in front of mine. I got my foot caught on the buoy rope ( I guess I was just too close). After the turn I decided to put my head down and just head back into shore with a smooth relaxed swim. After a while I looked up to sight and saw a ton of swimmers coming right at me. Crap I veered of course, I did my best to swim out of their way and get back on course. I noticed I was close to shore and just needed another minute or so of strong swimming. However, that's when the lady in front of me appeared. I tried to swim around her to the left and she veered left, I tried to go right and she veered right. I finally decided I was just going to catch the next wave in and stand up and run in. Plan worked out okay, yet the water had a strong undertoe and was tough to get out of.
What would you do differently?:

Pracive OWS in the Atlantic Ocean more. I think the cold water temperature freaked me out. Didn't have any problems with the people in the water or anything of that nature. Swim until my hands touch bottom, will make getting out easier.
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

T1 was nothing liked I expected. Some people were standing around talking and others were rushing to get ready. I took the time to get out of my wetsuit with no big hitches, cleaned my feet off of the sand, put my socks, shoes, helmet, glasses on and was good to go. Glasses were fogged up so I cleaned them on a towel.

I don't plan on wearing socks again for the ride so that will save some time. Otherwise, I thought this transition went as smooth as possible.
Bike
  • 31m 33s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was flat with a mix of road surfaces. I was told prior that the streets were not closed and we were required to stop at all red lights and stop signs. Fortunately, I either caught all the green lights or there was a cop who waved us through the red lights, so I never had to stop. At the start of the bike my glasses fogged up again, so I ditched them on the side of the raod. I was suprised at my speed on the bike with an average of 20 MPH. There was a small wind, but never really bothered me. Midway through race, it rained pretty hard on us. My socks were soaked and I don't think I'll wear them for the bike leg again. The road surfaces went from extremely smooth to very rough, it was hard to stay in aero along the hard surfaces, but they were mostly short.

Not much, this was my favorite part. Maybe not wear socks. I was flying and passing people so I don't think I could have done much better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

T2 was quick. Racked my bike, took my helmet off and changed shoes, and left. Running sneakers were soaked from the rain we had while biking and I left them out and uncovered so they were soaked inside.

Cover sneakers so they don't get wet during the rain. Change of socks, since my feet were soaked from bike.
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was fun. Left transition area with a group of people and we all made some small jokes before we lost each other. My pace was fast in the beginning but I felt good so I went with it. HR was only in the 160's, which is low for me while running at 5K pace. At the first turnaround point I decided I needed a bathroom but didn't remember seeing one. Damn too much prerace fluids. Ran passed the TA and grabbed a cup of water at the water station, but still no bathroom. However a few minutes up the boardwalk I found a public bathroom I could use. Felt weaird veering off the road to use it but I knew it would be worth if for the rest of the run. Finished with bathroom and started to run again, legs took a while getting used to running (again) but once they were back up I felt great. The only annoying part was that I had to pass all the people I just passed. Got insight of the finish line and started sprinting. I had too much left in me. I could have gone faster on the run or the bike, definetly not the swim though.

Not have to goto the bathroom. Maybe step up the pace becuase I had to much left in me.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Some strecthing and some walking around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience, not really knowing an Open water swim.

Event comments:

This is a great race for first timers or for a good brick workout. There are no times, you are required to keep your own, however this year they did have a finishing clock but there were no chips for split times. I highly recommend this race for anyone new to the sport or looking for a good workout.

Last updated: 2006-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
08:47:05 | 547 yards | 1h 36m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Exterra Wetsuit
Course: Out to buoy on left side and back on right side. Race director said it looked like the buoys weren't placed right, so maybe the swim was short.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:33 | 10 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a big rectangle. Rode north out of transition for a few miles, then west for a bit, then south for a few miles, then east, and then north until tranistion area.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:01 | 03 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Run south on boardwalk for .6 miles, then turn around, run back north on the boardwalk to transition area. Pass tranistion area and continue north on board walk for .9 miles, turnaround and run back to transition area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-06-27 3:21 PM

User image

Regular
New Jersey
Subject: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Rae #2

2006-06-27 8:26 PM
in reply to: #467742

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Rae #2
Great job. Especially for your first race. Good luck in your next one!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Long Branch Sprint Triathlon Series - Rae #2 Rss Feed