AZ TRAIL RACE
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 45s
Overall Rank = 64/179
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke around 4:45 and had some coffee, banana, & some peanut butter toast. Grabbed a protein shake & a few Gatorade's for the ride out there. Left the house around 605. I knew would take about an hour to get out there
Event warmup:

Pick up my timing chip,bib, and goody bag. It was cold out so I just went back to my car and restedin the warmth of the heater. Smaller race, so no lines for the bathroom. Got out of my car about a quarter till & headed over the bathroom. Did some light stretching under a heater before the race started
Run
  • 2h 01m 45s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off well. The first 2 miles a relatively flat. After the first mile the crowd thinned out and I was able to run my race. After that we started climbing. I did well on the climbs but did have to walk a few times up some steeper sections. Still keeping pace where I wanted to be. At about mile five, some folks started to pass me. The final climb was tough, but made it to the top. The downhill was another adventure. I was doing well but some people are so much faster than me at running downhill on trails. I'm better than I was, and my footing is more sure, but it was still a few almost falls here and there. That always scares the shit out of me. I hate snagging a toe on a rock
What would you do differently?:

I have been running a lot of trails, but I should probably run more elevation to get used to this
Post race
Warm down:

Was able to pass a few people right before the end, and I was happy with my performance. Just missed my goal of two hours. Got my medal and some more water & a few things to eat.
Decided to not hang out to long, I stuck and needed a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Didn't spend enough time on uphill elevation trail running

Event comments:

Pretty happy with my results. This is similar to the half marathon I had done on the same trail two years prior. My average pace then was 11 minutes/mile. Huge improvement in pace

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:45 | 12.6 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/27
Overall: 64/179
Performance: Good
Somehow, I deleted all the information from my GPS watch before I could download it. Idiot!
Course: Mix of sand rock trail up through Mesquite Canyon. Almost the same course I did when I did the half marathon back in March 2011
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes