BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-01-10 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: Hashers and Mashers - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Immediately

GROUP FOCUS: This will be an all around group. It doesn't matter what distance you focus on, or how long you've been training/competing.

NAME: Sarah73 (Sarah is my real name

STORY: I started running when I was four years old, and then went on to compete in almost every sport available throughout elementary and high school (track, cross country, basketball, volleyball, field hockey, swimming, softball, soccer, and tennis). I went to college on a tennis scholarship, and, unfortunately, upon graduating, put down my racket and running shoes, and spent the next 10 years buried in my studies. I completed medical school and my medical residency in psychiatry, and two years after having twin girls decided I would do a marathon. I have now done 4 marathons, about 10 half marathons, a handful of sprints, an oly, and one HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to my husband of 11 years, and we have 6 year old twin daughters. I work as a psychiatrist part time at a free medical clinic, while my DH works more than full time as an interventional cardiologist. We do all of our races together, but with our busy schedules we aren't able to train together.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a lone trainer, which works pretty well for me, since I am a fairly motivated person. Currently I am training for New Orleans HIM in April and Louisville IM in August. I'm sure there will be some sprints and olys mixed in there, as well.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: In 2012 I did a few sprints, one oly, and the Austin HIM.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have been pretty fortunate with weight issues, and weight loss has not been an issue for me in my trainining. However, I do have quite a bit of professional experience treating patients with weight issues (both for overeating and undereating).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am pretty new to triathlons, but I tend to immerse myself in whatever I am doing, and learn everything possible. I think I can offer ultra-beginners some insight into what to expect from their first few races, but I think my real strength lies in my ability to motivate people. Because of my background, I focus greatly on the mental aspect of training and racing, which I believe is one of the most important, and often overlooked, tools. I think one of the other things that might make me a good mentor is that I am very goofy. I am not afraid to ask any question, and I really encourage everyone to ask whatever is on their mind. I am always the one at the races doing something ridiculous, or asking the most obvious questions, but I am also the first one to laught at myself and have a great time. I think I learned this from my time with the Hash House Harriers in college. This is really supposed to be fun!

Edited by Sarah73 2013-01-30 9:56 AM

2013-01-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

Hi Sarah,

I'm IN!

Name: TomsTri-ing ( Tom Lakatos)

Story: Beginning my second year of Tri's.  Completed 3 tri's, 1 duo, and barely got out of the water in one.  Otherwise, what a great year.  I was born with a congential heart defect and had open heart surgery way back in the last century, 1966. Currently have my second defibrillator (battery backup) and working on my bucket list.  I cycled a lot in my 20's and never liked running, not a bad swimmer, just out of shape.  Now it is just keeping up what I developed and strengthing going forward.

FAMILY STATUS: Single/Divorced, still talk to the EW (Ex Wife), our son will be 25 in May.  He has battled his weight most of his life.  Since I started training last year I like to think I have been a positive influence.  He joing Weight Watchers a few months ago and has lost over 40 lbs.  Otherwise, looking for a special someone while my dog keeps me company.

CURRENT TRAINING: Hired a coach this year, upgraded to GOLD, and seems to be working out.  I signed up for a HM in early April, (what was thinking - Dave did this to me) so lots more running for someone that hated running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: HM on 4/7, 8K on 4/21, then repeat my first TRI on 4/28. Sprint on 7/20, Oly in late June - maybe.

WEIGHT LOSS: Started at 220 last year, currently floating (pun intended) around 197.  Trying to concentrate on meats and veggys by way of my coach.

May The Legs Be With You!

2013-01-17 8:49 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Immediately (co-mentoring with Sarah)

NAME: Mike

STORY: 46 years old - jogged and mountain biked sporadically over the years but never really focused on anything besides trying not to gain too much weight. Slowly gained weight until I hit about 185 pounds in 2008 (I'm 5' 7"). Early 2009 a friend of mine convinced me that if I can run 5 miles, I could build up to a half marathon. I decided to go for it and ran my first half marathon in April 2009. Once I did that I decided to make a second attempt at doing a triathlon. My first attempt was a couple years earlier and I gave up after going to the pool twice and not being able to swim more than a lap or two. Figured if I started in April I could learn to swim in a couple months and do a Sprint tri in July or August.  Swimming did not come easily to me (it was quite humbling and humiliating actually). It took going to the pool 2-3x per week for six months until it finally clicked. Once it did, I bought a bike and did my first sprint tri in May 2010.  Since then I've done several Sprint tris, a few Olympic tris and a couple 70.3's. This year was going to be my first full Ironman, but changes at work have required a lot more travel and hours so I may have to put my IM dreams on hold for a while. I've blogged my journey at blog.ransick.org.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 24+ years, 2 kids - 21 yo daughter & 15 yo son

CURRENT TRAINING:  I've been doing a lot of running and love running on the single track trails at the university.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:

May Madness Sprint (Effingham, IL) - 5 minute PR.

Gateway Olympic (Carlyle, IL)

Cohassett Sprint (Cohassett, MA) - race-cation visiting my sis

Door County 70.3 (Egg Harbor, WI) - first sanctioned HIM

RnR St. Louis half marathon (St. Louis, MO) - 5 minute PR

Patrick's 12 hour run (SIUE, Edwardsville, IL) - I ran four hours and 18 miles - 3 mile PR

WEIGHTLOSS: I started out doing endurance sports weighing about 185. I'm now about 157 and would like to shed a little more but don't want to give up beer :-)

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:  I like helping people acheive their goals and sharing my experience. I've learned that this is more than a three discipline sport, it's more like six. Swim, bike, run, rest, fuel, and mental. I'm also a student of the sport, so I've done and do a lot of reading and should be able to answer some questions and help research answers to ones I don't know.

2013-01-17 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4583296

User image

Master
St. Louis
TomsTri-ing - 2013-01-17 4:21 PM

Hi Sarah,

I'm IN!

Name: TomsTri-ing ( Tom Lakatos)

Story: Beginning my second year of Tri's.  Completed 3 tri's, 1 duo, and barely got out of the water in one.  Otherwise, what a great year.  I was born with a congential heart defect and had open heart surgery way back in the last century, 1966. Currently have my second defibrillator (battery backup) and working on my bucket list.  I cycled a lot in my 20's and never liked running, not a bad swimmer, just out of shape.  Now it is just keeping up what I developed and strengthing going forward.

FAMILY STATUS: Single/Divorced, still talk to the EW (Ex Wife), our son will be 25 in May.  He has battled his weight most of his life.  Since I started training last year I like to think I have been a positive influence.  He joing Weight Watchers a few months ago and has lost over 40 lbs.  Otherwise, looking for a special someone while my dog keeps me company.

CURRENT TRAINING: Hired a coach this year, upgraded to GOLD, and seems to be working out.  I signed up for a HM in early April, (what was thinking - Dave did this to me) so lots more running for someone that hated running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: HM on 4/7, 8K on 4/21, then repeat my first TRI on 4/28. Sprint on 7/20, Oly in late June - maybe.

WEIGHT LOSS: Started at 220 last year, currently floating (pun intended) around 197.  Trying to concentrate on meats and veggys by way of my coach.

May The Legs Be With You!

Hey Tom!
2013-01-17 9:47 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Sarah and Mike will be outstanding mentors!!!  

Anyone out there lurking needs to get in here! 

Just wondering if there will be any viking hijinx or not??

2013-01-17 10:15 PM
in reply to: #4583648

User image

Veteran

Hey Mike,

Good to see you as a mentor.  Looking forward to another go at it.

2013-01-17 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
I'm in too. So glad to see you peeps. I will try to repost my bio this weekend for any newcomers.

For anyone else interested in joining this is an awesome group! Sarah and Mike will be great mentors.

Shelly
2013-01-17 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Shellllllllleeeeeeeeeeee   Nice to see you and Tom, Mike and Sarah here.  

2013-01-18 4:22 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
OK, I'm in! How could I say no with that much enthusiasm.

NAME: Chris Adnams (cadnams)

STORY:

I'm 39. Pre having children I was into sports and adventure activities, like most Aussie guys. Skiing, surfing, skydiving, pretty much anything that started with the letter "s" (as long as it was outside). I hate being locked up indoors. But I have no proper athletic background..

About seven years ago I did a series of six super short tri's. They were so short I didn't need to do any real training for them. But that was it. Then kids came along and most of my physical activity went out the window. I tried to motivate myself to do that same small tri series last year. I signed up for the whole series but never actually entered a race. Then about six weeks ago I decided to get off the couch and start exercising. I found myself exercising every day and decided to sign up for my first proper sprint triathlon. The race was last weekend and I had a blast! Absolutely Loved it. But I was surpsrised how fit and fast everyone was. I guess I figured there would be more newbies in the race. Anyway, now I am keen to do some focused training and work my way up to an Oly. Would love to do a HIM at some point in the future, but i'll just take one goal at a time.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two toddlers (2 and 4).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Trying to get into some structured "training" rather than just exercising each day. Would be very keen to get some advice on how to make the most of my training time.

2012 RACES: None

2013 RACES: Just did my first sprint tri. Aiming to do two or three more local tri's this season while I start improving my fitness base.

WEIGHTLOSS: Dropped about 12 lbs since I started exercising and I'm down to 175 lbs (I'm a touch under 6'0" tall).. Not aiming to lose any more but I suspect couple more lbs will come off with ongoing training.  Weight loss is not a focus for me.

GOALS: Complete an Oly! (and get faster at the sprints). Not sure if I should be aiming for a specific event at this stage. Maybe I should have a firm date to aim for...?
2013-01-18 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

So good to see everyone!!

Tom - Good job on the weight loss. I didn't know you had lost that much weight last year...and keeping it off!! Kudos!!

Shelly - You have to get your bio up! You are always the inspiration to the group. Whenever I feel tired, and complain that it's too hard, I just go back, read your bio, and then feel like a whimp! It puts everything in perspective!

Mike - Thank you, thank you for co-mentoring with me. I need all the help I can get...in more ways than one

Dave - Thank you for coming. I knew you couldn't stay away!! Dave was my (and most of us here) mentor last year, and HE WAS (IS) AWESOME!! I know he will be stopping by frequently, and his input is soooooo valuable to all of us! How can I refrain from the Viking motif, it's in my blood!!

Chris - So good to see you here!! Now we're an international group...that sounds so chic!! My only connection to Australia is that I have moved on from watching every netflix episode of Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead, to Lost...that's sort of a connection, right? Oh yeah, and Amanda. She was a girl in my grade school from Australia who was pretty, and smart, and funny, and the only girl in my class who could beat me in a running race. I hated her!! I'm over it...really!

2013-01-18 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4583851

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

cadnams - 2013-01-18 4:22 AM OK, I'm in! How could I say no with that much enthusiasm.

Welcome, Chris!! I think you are going to fit it great here!! This is a great group of people and I know there are more to come!!

NAME: Chris Adnams (cadnams) STORY: I'm 39. Pre having children I was into sports and adventure activities, like most Aussie guys. Skiing, surfing, skydiving, pretty much anything that started with the letter "s" (as long as it was outside).

I have a feeling that you are a good swimmer. Being from Australia and all! Definitely my worst discipline of the three. My experience with open water swimming as a child was limited to Lake Michigan and the fjords of Norway (Viking reference), which was really more of trying to survive the cold and make it back to shore before drowning. That's pretty much what I still do during triathlons!! Unfortunately I will not be able to give technical swimming advice, but we have enough swimmers around to help, if needed.

I hate being locked up indoors. But I have no proper athletic background.. About seven years ago I did a series of six super short tri's. They were so short I didn't need to do any real training for them. But that was it. Then kids came along and most of my physical activity went out the window.

Kids ruin everything, don't they!! Kidding!

I tried to motivate myself to do that same small tri series last year. I signed up for the whole series but never actually entered a race. Then about six weeks ago I decided to get off the couch and start exercising. I found myself exercising every day and decided to sign up for my first proper sprint triathlon. The race was last weekend and I had a blast! Absolutely Loved it. But I was surpsrised how fit and fast everyone was. I guess I figured there would be more newbies in the race. Anyway, now I am keen to do some focused training and work my way up to an Oly. Would love to do a HIM at some point in the future, but i'll just take one goal at a time. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two toddlers (2 and 4). CURRENT TRAINING:  Trying to get into some structured "training" rather than just exercising each day. Would be very keen to get some advice on how to make the most of my training time.

There are some free programs on BT for specific race training that are very helpful. Also make sure your training log is viewable to the group, and that you are logging all of your workouts. Not only will it help us be able to suggest training tips, but I also post the stats on a weekly basis for the group (a little competition keeps everyone from slacking a bit).

2012 RACES: None 2013 RACES: Just did my first sprint tri. Aiming to do two or three more local tri's this season while I start improving my fitness base. WEIGHTLOSS: Dropped about 12 lbs since I started exercising and I'm down to 175 lbs (I'm a touch under 6'0" tall).. Not aiming to lose any more but I suspect couple more lbs will come off with ongoing training.  Weight loss is not a focus for me. GOALS: Complete an Oly! (and get faster at the sprints). Not sure if I should be aiming for a specific event at this stage. Maybe I should have a firm date to aim for...?

Some people are able to train without motivation (pending races). I, on the other hand, need a specific race in order to get my butt up and moving! I think you might find it more compelling to train if you go ahead and sign up for a specific race. You will be able to work your way up to an Olympic no problem. Go ahead and spend the money, and it will make you more likely to do it. Another trick of mine is to tell people about the race. Then I feel more accountable. 

One more thing to consider. I don't know if your wife is into triathlons, but this sport is very time consuming, especially if you are going to try to lengthen your races (half and full ironmans). With young kids and a wife, it can really put a strain on your relationship. You are better off addressing it from the beginning, and finding a way together, to make it work. It will be much more enjoyable for both of you in the long run.  

2013-01-18 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4583851

User image

Veteran

cadnams - 2013-01-18 5:22 AM OK, I'm in! How could I say no with that much enthusiasm. NAME: Chris Adnams (cadnams) STORY: I'm 39. Pre having children I was into sports and adventure activities, like most Aussie guys. Skiing, surfing, skydiving, pretty much anything that started with the letter "s" (as long as it was outside). I hate being locked up indoors. But I have no proper athletic background.. About seven years ago I did a series of six super short tri's. They were so short I didn't need to do any real training for them. But that was it. Then kids came along and most of my physical activity went out the window. I tried to motivate myself to do that same small tri series last year. I signed up for the whole series but never actually entered a race. Then about six weeks ago I decided to get off the couch and start exercising. I found myself exercising every day and decided to sign up for my first proper sprint triathlon. The race was last weekend and I had a blast! Absolutely Loved it. But I was surpsrised how fit and fast everyone was. I guess I figured there would be more newbies in the race. Anyway, now I am keen to do some focused training and work my way up to an Oly. Would love to do a HIM at some point in the future, but i'll just take one goal at a time. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two toddlers (2 and 4). CURRENT TRAINING:  Trying to get into some structured "training" rather than just exercising each day. Would be very keen to get some advice on how to make the most of my training time. 2012 RACES: None 2013 RACES: Just did my first sprint tri. Aiming to do two or three more local tri's this season while I start improving my fitness base. WEIGHTLOSS: Dropped about 12 lbs since I started exercising and I'm down to 175 lbs (I'm a touch under 6'0" tall).. Not aiming to lose any more but I suspect couple more lbs will come off with ongoing training.  Weight loss is not a focus for me. GOALS: Complete an Oly! (and get faster at the sprints). Not sure if I should be aiming for a specific event at this stage. Maybe I should have a firm date to aim for...?

Welcome Chris,

I can't even imagine trying a TRI in Aussie heat right now.  Hope you are somewhat cooler than the interior. 

Tom

2013-01-18 6:51 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome Chris!

Welcome back Shelly!
2013-01-19 1:53 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Sarah. Great advice, I might even follow it (ha ha)!

I had a look at the BT training programs. I think I'll try one just need to work out which one. Some of the detailed ones look quite complicated!

Thankfully I am pretty self motivated once I get an idea in my head, although I really would like to have a target race locked in. I've had a look around and it seems that not many dates have been locked in for next season. We are in the middle of our season right now and I won't be ready before this season ends. I'll keep looking...

Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...?

Cheers,
Chris

2013-01-19 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi gang!  I'm here and I'm in!   

I'll try to get around to posting my story sometime today or tomorrow.  Just finished a brick.  1100y swim and 45 min on the trainer.  Up and running!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Jax

2013-01-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4585704

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-01-19 1:53 AM

Thanks Sarah. Great advice, I might even follow it (ha ha)!

I had a look at the BT training programs. I think I'll try one just need to work out which one. Some of the detailed ones look quite complicated!

Thankfully I am pretty self motivated once I get an idea in my head, although I really would like to have a target race locked in. I've had a look around and it seems that not many dates have been locked in for next season. We are in the middle of our season right now and I won't be ready before this season ends. I'll keep looking...

Here's my first question for the group. When swimming I pretty much just jump in the pool and swim laps. I don't really vary it, and I don't do speed work or anything like that. Should be approaching it differently...?

Cheers,
Chris

I'm one of the least qualified people to advise on swimming, but here it goes. Many people do sets of different distances with rest In between each set, the shorter the set, the faster you swim but pay attention to your form. Many people also do drills to improve form. Links to some common ones are below. Nothing wrong with doing long continuous swims if you are short on time or want to have confidence you can swim long. It should be the least number of swim workouts though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRCfeJNJkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_XRiy-ILyc

Some of these drills are really hard and you will feel uncoordinated. I'm curious what advice the fish in the group will give.

2013-01-19 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4585812

User image

Master
St. Louis
DaDooRunRun - 2013-01-19 8:25 AM

Hi gang!  I'm here and I'm in!   

I'll try to get around to posting my story sometime today or tomorrow.  Just finished a brick.  1100y swim and 45 min on the trainer.  Up and running!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Jax

Welcome! Glad you are with us!
2013-01-19 6:36 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Had a nice trail run in shorts today. Temps in the 60's. Tomorrow will be in the 30's for another trail run. What does everyone else have on tap for tomorrow?
2013-01-19 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4586339

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

ransick - 2013-01-19 6:36 PM Had a nice trail run in shorts today. Temps in the 60's. Tomorrow will be in the 30's for another trail run. What does everyone else have on tap for tomorrow?

I do need to run tomorrow!   I feel the need for Speeeeed! 

2013-01-19 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Sooo awesome that Mike/Sarah started the Hashers/Mashers group.    New peeps really need to get in here while they can. 

And thanks for providing a new forum for all of us Magical Mys-tri tour groupees.     You all are "The Awesome!"

Here is my bio

Nice to meet y'all    No I'm not from the south.  I just like saying y'all

This is kinda long so go ahead and grab a coffee  if you have some time to kill.   Or just skim through.

NAME:  (Oriolepwr) Dave

FAMILY STATUS:  Married  with two daughters ages 12 and 10  (so proud both swim/run and have done a couple of Triathlons!  YAY)

WEIGHTLOSS:   Lost a bunch of weight in the past  but I do like to drink beer.  maybe too much?  Am food logging EVERY thing I eat and drink in 2013 on  Myfitnesspal.com

STORY:   20 years ago I was a Cat 2 cyclist.  Had a bad crash.  tried to get back into race shape, but mentally did not have it.   Hung up my race bike and stopped ALL training.  My days of being athletic were over.  Or so I thought.   14 years of sedentary life left me in bad shape.

My DW finally was able to convince me to see the doctor.   High blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, High cholesterol among other things.  So I began to sulk.    Then one day I was just watching my two wonderful and very young daughters eat as poorly as I had been.   I decided stuff had to change.  

I changed my diet,  decided since I was a good runner when I was younger, I could just run 2 miles every day and the girls could see me do it. And get inspired.  I never saw either of my own parents run a single step.  I could not "DO as I say, not as I do" as a role model.   Because that does not work too well.    So each day I'd run.    BUT that was not good enough for me.  I had to run faster and faster to try and beat my time.  And I got faster.  and faster.   So I began to think.  hmmm maybe I should run a 5K  So I did!  it was soo much fun I ran a 5K the next 12 weekends in a row.   

I got my health back, and was able to get off all medication. 

Eventually though, I got injured, and joined the local gym and started swimming a mile each day to try and maintain my hard earned fitness.   One day I go past the spin room.  got on a bike for first time in 15 years    Spin was FUN! so added that to the mix.       Took my old race bike down, overhauled it and entered a Duathlon.   wow that was fun!  so since I had been swimming and all.  I then moved on to TRIATHLON! 

And in over the last 6 years have raced over 100 events of various distances  running/cycling/Triathlon. 

PAST RACES  Tri's  IM-Moo, Muncie, Steelhead, Racine, Door,  Branson, Kansas 70.3's,  Marathons,  Chicago 4X,  Dallas 2X, NYC, Disney A bunch of  other stuff.

2013 RACES:  Dialing things down.  Want to do a couple of local Oly's, Chicago Marathon  and will add a few more events along the way if time/$$/work/life  allows.    Am trying to focus more on Running and losing weight thru better diet and food logging.   It's "possible" I will add a substantial Tri to this list.   Never know.  But will really depend on how stuff progresses over the coming months. 

Misc:

Co-Mentored the infamous Magical Mys-Tri Tour mentor group last year, and also am a Spin instructor. 

I'm also in swim Guru and all around good guy  Matt Gimartin's mentor group.    My role there is to just basically be a nuisance to all.  I can provide nuisanceness here as well :-)

I have lots of experience doing mostly the wrong things.   I will happily share them, along with some genuine helpful knowledge about what might hopefully help you to maximize your Tri experience. 

I will support you, and hope you will do same for me.  Humor is a great way to get through good times and bad.

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-01-19 7:22 PM
2013-01-19 7:12 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA

Hi, everyone.  I'd like to join this group.

Name: Tom (ladlehaus)

Story: I ran my first tri in 2010 as a way to get back into shape. When I announced my intentions to run a tri, my then six-year-old daughter told me that she would beat me in a race, and my wife said that I needed more life insurance then. Three years later and thirty pounds lighter, I've completed a few races a year and trained enough for my wife to think I'm nuts. I was signed up for IM Lake Placid, but dropped out because my wife was due the week before the race. Now, I'm getting over a knee injury from Thanksgiving that derailed marathon training. My goal this year is to stay healthy and injury free and train more consistently than ever before. My A race this year is the Rev 3 Cedar Point 140.6.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kids. My son is ten, my daughter nine, and my baby girl is 7 months.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very little. The past fall, I ran exclusively preparing for the Mickey Mouse Marathon. It had gone very well until injuring my knee at Thanksgiving. Planning on using Don Fink's IM plan this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Local sprints. Pittsburgh Tri-Oly. Rev3 Cedar Point.

WEIGHT LOSS: In my ideal world, I'd like to lose another 40 pounds or so. In order to do that, I've really go to stop eating so much pizza.

2013-01-19 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4586387

User image

Master
St. Louis
ladlehaus - 2013-01-19 7:12 PM

Hi, everyone.  I'd like to join this group.

Name: Tom (ladlehaus)

Story: I ran my first tri in 2010 as a way to get back into shape. When I announced my intentions to run a tri, my then six-year-old daughter told me that she would beat me in a race, and my wife said that I needed more life insurance then. Three years later and thirty pounds lighter, I've completed a few races a year and trained enough for my wife to think I'm nuts. I was signed up for IM Lake Placid, but dropped out because my wife was due the week before the race. Now, I'm getting over a knee injury from Thanksgiving that derailed marathon training. My goal this year is to stay healthy and injury free and train more consistently than ever before. My A race this year is the Rev 3 Cedar Point 140.6.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three kids. My son is ten, my daughter nine, and my baby girl is 7 months.

CURRENT TRAINING: Very little. The past fall, I ran exclusively preparing for the Mickey Mouse Marathon. It had gone very well until injuring my knee at Thanksgiving. Planning on using Don Fink's IM plan this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Local sprints. Pittsburgh Tri-Oly. Rev3 Cedar Point.

WEIGHT LOSS: In my ideal world, I'd like to lose another 40 pounds or so. In order to do that, I've really go to stop eating so much pizza.

Welcome Tom! Steeler fan by chance? My folks are from the area so I was indoctrinated early :-).
2013-01-20 9:53 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
What's on tap for everyone today? I'm planning on hitting some single track for some running after church.
2013-01-20 1:34 PM

User image

Shreveport
I'd like to join if it's not too late!Name: ChrisStory: I've been a runner for a few years now. Ive done quite a few 5 and 10ks but nothing much longer. I currently spend a lot of time lifting weights as I enjoy strength training. I've been contemplating doing triathlons for many years now, but life just seems to get in the way. In early 2001, I began seriously training for the tri season but ended up having a colon resection and was disgnosed with Crohns. Anyway, many years later, I'm gonna try it again!Family Status: Married with 4 kids. 16yo daughter, 13 yo daughter, and twin sons-13 months.Training: I primarily like training alone. I am beginning a masters swiming program in February for the instruction and until then will spend time strength training and running.Planned races: I'd like to do 4 races this year, but since I've never done one, I'm gonna focus on completing my first one!

Edited by knighton 2013-01-20 1:36 PM
2013-01-20 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4586895

User image

Master
St. Louis
knighton - 2013-01-20 1:34 PM

I'd like to join if it's not too late!Name: ChrisStory: I've been a runner for a few years now. Ive done quite a few 5 and 10ks but nothing much longer. I currently spend a lot of time lifting weights as I enjoy strength training. I've been contemplating doing triathlons for many years now, but life just seems to get in the way. In early 2001, I began seriously training for the tri season but ended up having a colon resection and was disgnosed with Crohns. Anyway, many years later, I'm gonna try it again!Family Status: Married with 4 kids. 16yo daughter, 13 yo daughter, and twin sons-13 months.Training: I primarily like training alone. I am beginning a masters swiming program in February for the instruction and until then will spend time strength training and running.Planned races: I'd like to do 4 races this year, but since I've never done one, I'm gonna focus on completing my first one!

Not too late at all. Welcome Chris! Any burning questions?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30