BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-04-27 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4716458

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
knighton - 2013-04-27 6:02 AM

cadnams - 2013-04-26 2:06 AM Hey all, I've hit a small obstacle in my training, it's called life! My wife and I have agreed that nine training sessions a week is just too much. So, I have locked away six per week, excluding the odd shorter session I will be able to squeeze in at lunch time. At least now I have set times for my training so I can nail down a plan that suits. Now for my questions (yep, there are two): Do you think it's feasible to attempt a 70.3 on six training sessions a week...? My goal would only be to finish, don't care about time. The race would be next March, so I have time on my side. My lead up would include an Olympic distance in November, three sprints tris over the next 10 weeks, another Olympic in February, then the 70.3 a month later. I really want to do it, but only if I have a realistic chance of finishing. What do you think? My second question would be, what should a training program look like if only training in each discipline twice a week? Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure this aim is a bit too tough, but I'm keen to have a crack at it. Cheers, Chrispy

Chrispy,

I read an article about "minimalist training" that goes against the norm of high volume training.  Of course I have no idea whether it works or not, but according to the author, he's only spending 10 hours a week training and he's doing 9:30 IMs.  So I guess it's certainly is possible.

Here?s a link to the article:  ?

http://robbwolf.com/2012/09/21/10-ways-ironman-triathletes-avoid-chronic-cardio-self-destruction/

Thanks heaps, I will definitely have a read. there's always more than one way to do things...

2013-04-27 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4715953

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

That's definitely enough training time. You can even start incorporating bricks on Saturday or Sunday. From what I remember your swim is pretty strong, so you can probably get away with that one swim a week on Wed nights. (Again, depending on how strong your swim is). One option for the weekends might be to brick on Saturday, then alternate each week on Sunday with a long ride or long run. That way you aren't burning your legs out doing a long run every week.

I think your training plan looks fine, and I think you'll have no problem finishing a HIM in March if you stick to it! Go for it!!!

EDIT: I was typing this before I read your last post above.

That's awesome, thanks a lot Sarah.

I think the weekend idea is a really good one. I think bricks are great and I would happily take some weekends off without a really long run. I am finding my long runs are really beating me up. I did 10 miles yesterday and the thought of a long ride today is not that appealingly (because my joints are sore, not so much because of tired muscles).

OK, so it looks like I have the training time to get one done. I reckon completing an HIM is an awesome achievement and I'm in awe of those people who have done it (not sure how anyone can call it a middle distance event...!) I'd like to add my name to that list one day.

Cheers,
Chrispy

2013-04-27 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4716924

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

How long can you work out at lunch and what can you do? Run?

Here is a link to the plan I started with for my two HIM's. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar5EpJvYM2b1dEs0VjFhZlR... . I moved things around as my schedule dictated but tried to get the volume in. I didn't do much strength training and typically did 1-2 swim workouts per week instead of three. I think one swim, 3 rides and 3 runs should do it with a few bricks on the weekends. A fourth ride or second swim would even be better. The race time is a roughly 3:2:1 ratio with regards to time in each discipline ride:run:swim (give or take) so your training hours should be roughly the same.

If you can get 30 - 45 minute runs in at lunch two days a week with a long run on the weekend and three rides during the week with a long ride on the weekend plus your long swim Wednesday night you'd be at 7 workouts and would be able to squeeze in a least one rest day. Notice how the plan build for three weeks then cuts back every fourth week. That's important to let your body heal.

I know that's 8 workouts, not 6 but I'm not counting the lunch runs :-).

Thanks Mike.

I will definitely take your advice. I am sure I can get the swim race distance done with once swim per week, so I will start with that and see how my running and riding are coming along. Running is my my really weak link, and my riding just needs to become more efficient to conserve as much energy/strength as possible for the run. I reckon three rides and three runs sounds good, with my long swim mid week. I am sure I can squeeze in one lunch time run each week at this stage. Maybe closer to the time I will try and incorporate a second swim as well, even if only for a few weeks leading up to the race.

I also want to incorporate Sarah's weekend idea and see if that works for me. I really like the sound of it.

Cool, now I think I have enough info to finish my training plan (after I've studied yours...)

Thanks very much everyone.

Cheers,
Chrispy

2013-04-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran

Another one down! My main goal for my sprint today was to beat my time from last year and I did by 5:20 so I'm calling it a success.  My bike training must be paying off because that's where my biggest gain came from, though I still have lots of room for improvement.  I forgot how hilly that course was...some of the hills, I crushed, some, not so much My worst is the run, also somewhat hilly, I really tried to keep moving but overall I was a bit disappointed with that leg.  Pool was slower than it should be, but it's a saline pool, and I know this will sound weird and saline is suppose to be easier, but it just feels different to me and I can't get into a rhythm. 

Anyway my stats this race compared to last:

2013/2012

Swim - 6:15 / 6:23

T1 - 1:18 / 1:37

Bike - 42:10 / 47:33

T2 - 1:16 / 1:28

Run - 25:59 / 26:32

Here's the race report if you're interested:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=486061 

I decided to register as an Athena again because that's what I did last year.  I came fourth this year (out of seven) and last year I was last of 8

2013-04-28 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4717834

User image

Master
St. Louis
Ybeal - 2013-04-28 12:19 PM

Another one down! My main goal for my sprint today was to beat my time from last year and I did by 5:20 so I'm calling it a success.  My bike training must be paying off because that's where my biggest gain came from, though I still have lots of room for improvement.  I forgot how hilly that course was...some of the hills, I crushed, some, not so much My worst is the run, also somewhat hilly, I really tried to keep moving but overall I was a bit disappointed with that leg.  Pool was slower than it should be, but it's a saline pool, and I know this will sound weird and saline is suppose to be easier, but it just feels different to me and I can't get into a rhythm. 

2013/2012

I decided to register as an Athena again because that's what I did last year.  I came fourth this year (out of seven) and last year I was last of 8

Woohoo! Awesome job! Very nice improvement over last year too.
2013-04-28 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4717924

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

X2. That's a great improvement! Nice work

2013-04-28 6:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

2013/2012

Wow!! Yvonne that is so great!!! Congrats!!

I had a good race. I'll do a report and post about it tomorrow...I'm tired.

2013-04-28 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran

All Righty, First race down and I'm HAPPY!  Shaved off about 5 minutes from last year and I WAS NOT LAST!

Finished 314 out of 324.  Swim went better than I expected, bike was ok, run was real tough.  Legs were gone by the time on got off the bike.  Though I tried to save some for the run.  I messed up T1, had my shoes on the bike, but they fell off when I tried to run with the bike.  Had to stop and put them on, then get on bike. 

This is something  I can build on.  I reset my training program to get ready for the NJ State Triathlon on July 20th. 

Race report below.  Thank for reading.

For anyone that has seen the SyFy show Firefly: 

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

https://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=486112

2013-04-28 7:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Ybeal - 2013-04-28 1:19 PM

2013/2012

Yvonne, awesome job.  We both shaved off 5 minutes today.  Virtual high FIVE!

Tom

2013-04-28 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4718170

User image

Master
St. Louis
TomsTri-ing - 2013-04-28 7:22 PM

All Righty, First race down and I'm HAPPY!  Shaved off about 5 minutes from last year and I WAS NOT LAST!

Finished 314 out of 324.  Swim went better than I expected, bike was ok, run was real tough.  Legs were gone by the time on got off the bike.  Though I tried to save some for the run.  I messed up T1, had my shoes on the bike, but they fell off when I tried to run with the bike.  Had to stop and put them on, then get on bike. 

This is something  I can build on.  I reset my training program to get ready for the NJ State Triathlon on July 20th. 

Awesome job! Very nice improvement and so happy you are pumped about it.
2013-04-29 4:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

2013/2012

Great Race! The bike is my favorite-but I am not sure i can say it is my strength yet.  Do you use clip-less pedals? Your transitions times are super.  Glad you met your goal!!!

2013-04-29 4:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Great race! And congrats on beating your time form last year- plus it would have been by more than 5 minutes if your shoes had not malfunctioned in T1. Good for you for continuing to improve! and Yes, I remember Firefly!!

2013-04-29 5:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

My first Sprint is a month away and I am very excited but also scared to death!! I am registered as a first-timer but I am #49 out of 400+ racers.

I am gaining more and more confidence in my swim, but worried about the MASS swim. I am fairly competitive, but have no desire to be kicked in the face. I wanted to start swimming 3 times a week instead of 2 this week but the pool is 30+miles away, the only time to go is before work (2 miles from home) but It is just about impossible to get back in time to get son to school (2 miles from home) on time. Pool does not open until 6:30am so 30 minutes is the limit for now. There are no coaches or masters programs in the area but i have been watching a lot of videos on the Swimsmooth site to try and improve my stroke. I hope to do an open water practice at the race site in a few weeks. (the race swim is 1/3 mile). Also we jump off of a side pier off a HUGE pier WAY out in the water which i know swim wise will be easier than wading out BUT I KNOW what HUGE fish (sharks) are out there!!!! I'm trying to think of it as motivation to swim fast!! 

I love the bike- it is my favorite of the three sports. Did a great 20 mile ride Saturday. The race bike is 18 miles. I am not sure how hilly the course is except there is a huge one coming out of t1 and t2. anyway my practice ride is VERY hilly. Funny I never noticed how hilly it was here until I started biking and running. I do not have clipless petals and wont be able to get them until after this race.

I love the 'idea' of being a runner. Every first mile (after 1/4 to 1/2 mile warm up walk) my legs are tight and heavy and I am struggling to breathe and seriously questing why I EVER signed up to do a race and then after about a mile or so something clicks in and it goes pretty well. One thing after reading some forums here I have slowed down quite a bit. my 5k was around 10 minutes a mile but I have been running around 3.6 miles at around 11.20 minutes a mile- which is a more comfortable pace. (Yes, I am a turtle). NO BM aspirations here at all but I would love to do a 10K next year.

I would love to have 10 lbs gone by race time. Honestly more for race times than vanity, well health also. I have been working really hard and finally see some movement on the scale this week. But I do build muscle pretty easily- as in biking = quadzilla. I also have been reading how important core work & strength training is and would love to fit that in.

Sorry for rambling but you guys are the only tri people i know for the most  part. Thanks for all of the inspiration. I would love for some one to look at my logs and tell me if I am on the right tack at all... I know you cant see back very far on these logs you may see more HERE on Runkeeper but I don't log my swims with runkeeper. I really need a better place to log my workouts.  no Garman :-(  

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-04-29 5:35 AM
2013-04-29 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Nice job, Tom!! 5 minutes is a lot of time for a sprint, especially since you haven't been able to train much with your traveling. Keep it up!!

2013-04-29 9:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

My first sprint went well. RR if interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=486195

I was 5th OA female and 2nd OA MASTERS!!!! Yes...MASTERS!! I didn't even realize I was competing in the masters division until they called my name in the awards ceremony. They go by your age as of 12/31/13. So, I'm still in my 30s (for a few more months) and am considered a masters athlete. I'm obviously still trying to deal with this!! Maybe if I had known going in I would be handling this better.

2013-04-29 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4718698

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Sarah73 - 2013-04-29 9:06 AM

My first sprint went well. RR if interested: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=486195

I was 5th OA female and 2nd OA MASTERS!!!! Yes...MASTERS!! I didn't even realize I was competing in the masters division until they called my name in the awards ceremony. They go by your age as of 12/31/13. So, I'm still in my 30s (for a few more months) and am considered a masters athlete. I'm obviously still trying to deal with this!! Maybe if I had known going in I would be handling this better.

What a great race!!! Your numbers are awesome!

Best part: that you stopped in the middle of a race to help a little girl. Shows true character!!

Your 30's are the stuff dreams are made of- wait till 47. I loved my 30's and early 40's. After 45 things began to become more of a challenge- luckily I'v never been one to back down from a challenge!!

Edited because I NEVER see typos until after I submit :-(

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-04-29 9:20 AM

2013-04-29 4:58 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2013-04-29 9:06 AM

Awesome race ma'am :-). I use to hate when I turned 40 and people started calling me sir more often, or maybe I was just more conscious of it.
2013-04-29 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
TomsTri-ing - 2013-04-28 8:22 PM

LOL virtual Hi-5 back at ya!

Great Job, feels good to see some improvement doesn't it? Way to go!

2013-04-29 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2013-04-29 10:06 AM

Ohhh.....you placed! You go Girl!!! Great race report, so sweet of you to help that little girl, I'm sure her parents were panicking on shore somewhere with her! Makes my heart hurt just thinking about it as my daughters do triathlons too...

Can't believe you complained about that run! I'd kill for that time!

2013-04-29 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4718424

User image

Veteran
Meljoypip - 2013-04-29 6:19 AM

My first Sprint is a month away and I am very excited but also scared to death!! I am registered as a first-timer but I am #49 out of 400+ racers.

I am gaining more and more confidence in my swim, but worried about the MASS swim. I am fairly competitive, but have no desire to be kicked in the face. I wanted to start swimming 3 times a week instead of 2 this week but the pool is 30+miles away, the only time to go is before work (2 miles from home) but It is just about impossible to get back in time to get son to school (2 miles from home) on time. Pool does not open until 6:30am so 30 minutes is the limit for now. There are no coaches or masters programs in the area but i have been watching a lot of videos on the Swimsmooth site to try and improve my stroke. I hope to do an open water practice at the race site in a few weeks. (the race swim is 1/3 mile). Also we jump off of a side pier off a HUGE pier WAY out in the water which i know swim wise will be easier than wading out BUT I KNOW what HUGE fish (sharks) are out there!!!! I'm trying to think of it as motivation to swim fast!! 

I love the bike- it is my favorite of the three sports. Did a great 20 mile ride Saturday. The race bike is 18 miles. I am not sure how hilly the course is except there is a huge one coming out of t1 and t2. anyway my practice ride is VERY hilly. Funny I never noticed how hilly it was here until I started biking and running. I do not have clipless petals and wont be able to get them until after this race.

I love the 'idea' of being a runner. Every first mile (after 1/4 to 1/2 mile warm up walk) my legs are tight and heavy and I am struggling to breathe and seriously questing why I EVER signed up to do a race and then after about a mile or so something clicks in and it goes pretty well. One thing after reading some forums here I have slowed down quite a bit. my 5k was around 10 minutes a mile but I have been running around 3.6 miles at around 11.20 minutes a mile- which is a more comfortable pace. (Yes, I am a turtle). NO BM aspirations here at all but I would love to do a 10K next year.

I would love to have 10 lbs gone by race time. Honestly more for race times than vanity, well health also. I have been working really hard and finally see some movement on the scale this week. But I do build muscle pretty easily- as in biking = quadzilla. I also have been reading how important core work & strength training is and would love to fit that in.

Sorry for rambling but you guys are the only tri people i know for the most  part. Thanks for all of the inspiration. I would love for some one to look at my logs and tell me if I am on the right tack at all... I know you cant see back very far on these logs you may see more HERE on Runkeeper but I don't log my swims with runkeeper. I really need a better place to log my workouts.  no Garman :-(  

Mel, don't get freaked out....you're putting the time in, you're prepared, and by the time it rolls around you'll be even more so!

Practicing on hills will always help you in a race so keep at it.  I won't comment on your logs since I'm not qualified just remember that everything you're doing is a heck of a lot more than most people are doing!

2013-04-30 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Mel,

I'll go over your training logs today or tomorrow. I just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten about you, I just haven't had the chance yet!

2013-04-30 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks for the nice words about my race. Yvonne, I didn't mean to sound upset about my run, I was actually really happy with my time.  And Mike....ugh - I'm used to being called ma'am now, since I've been living in the south. It's not that I'm turning forty that bothers me (well maybe a bit), because I feel great and I'm in better shape now than I was when I turned 30. It's just the whole aging up thing, and entering the 'masters' division. Oh well, it's just a number!

2013-04-30 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4720334

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Sarah73 - 2013-04-30 7:52 AM

Mel,

I'll go over your training logs today or tomorrow. I just wanted you to know I haven't forgotten about you, I just haven't had the chance yet!

Thank you so much I really appreciate it!!  I posted my training plans for May in the blog section

2013-04-30 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarah73 - 2013-04-29 10:06 AM

Sarah - NICE!  What a great surprise for you.  Congrats to our fearless leader! Subtract 2 minutes for saving the girl!!!

Wait until you hit 53, I still can't believe I'm doing this.  I was thinking about my age, my heart defect, and my defibrillator.  Lets keep our legs going!! 

Edited by TomsTri-ing 2013-04-30 7:34 PM
2013-05-01 5:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Sorry guys I've been AWOL.  Derby Festival Half Marathon was Saturday and I did great!  1:57:09.  Not a PR but a very respectable time!  I have a race report up...but right now it only has my times in it.  Later today I'll post more detail and will catch up on the last few days of posts I've missed.  Ran the race Saturday AM in Louisville...then jumped in the car and rushed home to Indy to get my 17 y/o off to the prom. 

I am wiped...still.  I think I need to take a few weeks to work out for the fun of it and not for a training log.  I'm burning out.  Sigh.

More later!

Jax

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30