General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfest videos Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-10 2:29 PM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"
Subject: Sufferfest videos

Looking for info on the sufferfest videos, their web sit doesn't provide a detailed description.

Is it a visual only video or do you need a computerized trainer?

If it is visual only, then wouldn't be similar just watching a bike race video and add music?

Some of the video descriptions sound pretty intense, what level of ability do you need to be at to keep up?

Thanks

2013-01-10 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4572501

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Sufferfest videos
peby - 2013-01-10 2:29 PM

Looking for info on the sufferfest videos, their web sit doesn't provide a detailed description.

If it is visual only, then wouldn't be similar just watching a bike race video and add music?

Some of the video descriptions sound pretty intense, what level of ability do you need to be at to keep up?

Thanks

Their website is  pretty descriptive including a  break down of the intervals and rest periods in each video. I just looked at the description for "Revolver" Which I do not own and found this:

Workout Details:

• 4:00 warm-up
  • 1:30 of tempo riding
  • 2:00 of higher-speed tempo, with video from the Madison at the UCI Track World Cup
  • Then the main event – 15x 1:00 intervals, with 1 minute rest in-between each interval, for a total of 30 minutes of intervals.
    • The ‘on’ intervals are not for the faint of heart. They should be done at 9/10 or 10/10 on the RPE (recommended perceived exertion scale). They feature footage from the UCI Track World Cup (Madison, Keirin, Kilometer), the UCI Cyclocross World Cup and the UCI World Road Championships (both U23 and Elite Women).
    • The ‘off’ intervals features some beautiful footage descending the Col du Soler, from Cyclefilm.com.
  • 4:00 warm-down featuring the final Ks of the Col du Soler descent.

What you will find is either s structured interval workout synced with the videos, on screen prompts, and audio cues or a race simulation video with a premise and once again on screen prompts and sounds to match various scenarios. Sufferfest uses a 10 pt RPE scale that you could easily transfer to HR or power if you wanted to.

2013-01-10 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa
peby - 2013-01-10 3:29 PM

Thanks

As pointed out above, the description for each video is pretty comprehensive. It's a visual video and you don't need a computerized trainer. I do them using TrainerRoad because that allows me to use virtual power to know exactly what the target is for each effort.

This is nothing like watching bike racing, the videos have clear instructions about what to do, there are climbs, time trialing, attacks, tempo riding, they are demanding and truly entertaining (if you enjoy suffering).

As long as you are in decent shape you can do these videos, especially because everything is relative. The video will have an RPE cue for each segment, and if you use TrainerRoad, the efforts will be related to your FTP, so it will be tailored to your level of fitness.

2013-01-10 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just bought all 12 a few days ago and have tried Angels, Revolver and Downward Spiral.

The various videos are designed for different efforts such as cadence, climbing, TT, etc. The videos give you a suggested tempo and, as mentioned above, a difficulty based on a 1-10 scale. You are responsible for the effort you give based on that information.  The videos cue the intervals and recovery, and an occasional unexpected break-away. Since the effort is based on your perception you will improve/go harder as you use the videos more. I did Downward Spiral this morning and my legs collapsed when I got off the bike Laughing, but I'm sure I have a LOT of improvement to go.

2013-01-10 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4572551

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

You are responsible for the effort you give based on that information.  

For me personally, this is the single greatest reason to also use Trainer Road in tandem with the Sufferfest videos.  I'm sure it varies by individual, but I frequently second guess my effort.  Sometimes I'm "not feeling it" so my "10" today may be less than my "10" yesterday.  

With Trainer Road, once you've set your FTP, the program tells you if you're not producing at the level you should be.  This is extremely helpful for me.  So, when I'm doing a Sufferfest video and there is an attack and I'm required to suddenly sprint as hard (level 10 effort) as I can I have a tangible threshold to meet (at minimum).  This is extremely valuable to me and I feel I'm getting so much more out of my workouts.

2013-01-11 11:05 AM

User image

You don't need a computerized trainer, but having a bike computer with a cadence sensor helps.  Everything else is RPE.  The videos are tough.  I have Angels and Downward Spiral, and they are probably twice as hard as the Carmichaels training videos that I am used to.

2013-01-11 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey
I use these videos  with my Computrainer and sync the erg files so that my CT increases the load along with the video. They are by far the best I have used.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfest videos Rss Feed