General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Power Meter with Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-11 4:35 PM

New user

Subject: Using Power Meter with Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plans

Hi, 

I just read through Don Fink's Be Iron Fit 2nd addition and want to start using his Competitor Plan. However I also have a quarq power meter I want to train with. His plans use Heart Rate for zones for cycling. Has anyone adapted his cycling workouts to use FTP Power Zones? Can I just substitute Power Zone for Heart Rate Zone?

Thanks in advance,
Joe 

2013-01-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4574488

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Using Power Meter with Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plans

I haven't used his plans yet but pretty sure they are easily converted between HR and Power. Power is a better tool IMO since HR can fluctuate depending on too many variables. I found this on Joe Friels blog...talks about setting up a FTP and then using that value to set your zones. Just follow the Zones from there on out and you should be good to go! Good luck!

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-settin...
2013-01-14 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4575263

User image

New user

I'll bump this thread out of curiosity. I am also planning on using Don Fink's competitive plan this year for IMAZ and will be doing some training on the CycleOps. Would love to know if anyone has taken a thoughtful approach to converting the HR workout zones to power zones.

2013-01-14 2:26 PM

Veteran
I used his competitive plan for my IM last month and enjoyed it. I didn't use a power meter, but I think it would be pretty easy to convert your FTP to his heart rate zones. I know people have done it. Sorry I don't have a link
2013-01-14 4:02 PM

User image

Elite

My .02:

IMO - I wouldn't substitute heart rate for watts.  Reason being - they're two different things.  I'm not saying you should nix power altogether - use both if you want to still monitor wattage.

I've trained with and without power, and have used Fink's competitor IM program.  After years of trial, I sold my power meter (as many people do).  My best results come from RPE training.  Second best results come from heart rate.  And in last, watts.  My fastest Ironman - RPE.  My slowest - watts.  You get the idea...  Perhaps not the most popular conclusion around these parts but thats the way it is for me.  With power, I was too concerned about pushing a certain amount of watts because I knew what I was capable of, and I knew what wattage I should be able to maintain comfortably.

In short - your body knows how you're feeling.  RPE and heart rate takes this into consideration.  Your quarq doesn't.

Edited by steveseer 2013-01-14 4:04 PM
2013-01-15 1:28 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
here is another good article, which has a good table that lists both HR and power zones, along with a RPE scale.
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-level...

I believe all are important. Power is constant, HR has high variability and unless conditions are perfect, can change on a daily/hour basis. HR is great to see what is going on with your body though, if over trained or recovered properly by taking consistent readings in the morning and while training. Plus they are relatively inexpensive and easy to use.
RPE is important because in the end, it's how you feel. There are some days where I feel (RPE) that I'm pushing hard but my watts are lower than normal and HR is elevated/depressed.
AND, if your HR monitor/power meter/bike computer bites the dust the day of your race (like mine did) all you have is RPE and it can be a very helpful tool!
If you can train with all three and then make comparisons at where your watts are to a corresponding HR and RPE, then you have that much more information to analyze your training.
I train on CycleOps bikes with Power Meters and go by my FTP training wattage. I also make note of corresponding HR averages so when I bike outside or at another cycle class, I know where approximately I'm supposted to be. All my technology crapped out on me my last race so all I had was RPE, and I PRd.

My .02...convert your watt values from a FTP test to the corresponding zones and then use these zones with the Fink program. Very simplistic and maybe not as accurate, but at least you have somewhere to start. That's what I'm going to do.

2013-01-21 9:53 AM

Veteran
I would look at a different plan that focuses on power. Endurance nation is awesome if you can swing it.
2013-02-08 6:43 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I have two thougths on this:

1) You spent the money on a power meter and signed up for an Ironman. Why not hire a power certified coach? It doesn't seem logical to me to spend all of that money and then put your training in the hands of a book.

2) If you don't want (or can't afford) to hire a coach then buy Training and Racing with a Power Meter and learn how to calibrate your efforts in wattage vs HR and use the book as a guide.

Good luck!

2013-02-10 8:04 PM

User image

Regular

I don't have a power meter and really no plans to purchase one either. I ride based upon cadence and HR and it seems to work really well for me.

2013-02-11 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4616709

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
spie34 - 2013-02-10 9:04 PM

I don't have a power meter and really no plans to purchase one either. I ride based upon cadence and HR and it seems to work really well for me.

That's great if you are content with leaving ~10-15% of bike fitness on the table. I am sure that the other folks in your age group appreciate it

2013-02-13 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4617560

User image

Elite
Rocket Man - 2013-02-11 1:14 PM

That's great if you are content with leaving ~10-15% of bike fitness on the table. I am sure that the other folks in your age group appreciate it

Wow - as a level 2 coach I'd expect you not to throw out numbers like 10 - 15%.  Perhaps your "~" means we can bring that closer to zero.  Chrissie Wellington can win Kona with nearly the best bike split of the day...and no power meter.  She must be ~10-15% better than the other women?  I think not.

I'm not saying power can't help bike fitness.  But 10-15% is excessive, especially when HR and/or RPE are used properly.

2013-02-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4620815

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
steveseer - 2013-02-13 1:04 PM

Wow - as a level 2 coach I'd expect you not to throw out numbers like 10 - 15%.  Perhaps your "~" means we can bring that closer to zero.  Chrissie Wellington can win Kona with nearly the best bike split of the day...and no power meter.  She must be ~10-15% better than the other women?  I think not.

I'm not saying power can't help bike fitness.  But 10-15% is excessive, especially when HR and/or RPE are used properly.

Steve you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

First of all Chrissie is a freak athlete and completely irrelevant to the average age grouper. She is so supremely talented that she could ride a Huffy with a banana seat and still win comfortably.

I stand by what I say about gains made with a power meter vs HR/RPE. An athlete will make the biggest gains by doing interval training. Shorter intervals to improve/raise VO2 Max and LT/AT/FTP and longer aerobic intervals to increase efficiency at sub-threshold levels. It is virtually impossible to get the same gains out of these intervals using HR/RPE due to the fact that both are influenced by outside factors that skew the data. Using RPE you might feel like you are working just as hard on the 3rd or 4th interval as you were the first one when in reality your 10-20 watts less in power output. Using HR as a metric isn't as precise either due to the fact that by the 3rd or 4th interval the HR isn't recovering as quickly due to accumulated fatigue, dehydration, and cardiac drift. Throw in some heat and humidity and your last interval that feels "just as hard" and has a higher HR number might be as much as 15-20% below the power output for the first interval. Where I come from that isn't efficient training and in the end the athlete is leaving fitness on the table.

Power isn't the only way to fitness, but it is the most exact.

2014-12-29 2:44 AM
in reply to: Rocket Man

User image

, Texas
Originally posted by Rocket Man

steveseer - 2013-02-13 1:04 PM

Steve you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on this.

First of all Chrissie is a freak athlete and completely irrelevant to the average age grouper. She is so supremely talented that she could ride a Huffy with a banana seat and still win comfortably.

I stand by what I say about gains made with a power meter vs HR/RPE. An athlete will make the biggest gains by doing interval training. Shorter intervals to improve/raise VO2 Max and LT/AT/FTP and longer aerobic intervals to increase efficiency at sub-threshold levels. It is virtually impossible to get the same gains out of these intervals using HR/RPE due to the fact that both are influenced by outside factors that skew the data. Using RPE you might feel like you are working just as hard on the 3rd or 4th interval as you were the first one when in reality your 10-20 watts less in power output. Using HR as a metric isn't as precise either due to the fact that by the 3rd or 4th interval the HR isn't recovering as quickly due to accumulated fatigue, dehydration, and cardiac drift. Throw in some heat and humidity and your last interval that feels "just as hard" and has a higher HR number might be as much as 15-20% below the power output for the first interval. Where I come from that isn't efficient training and in the end the athlete is leaving fitness on the table.

Power isn't the only way to fitness, but it is the most exact.

Rocket Man,
I'm trying to understand Power vs RPE/HR. You said
Using HR as a metric isn't as precise either due to the fact that by the 3rd or 4th interval the HR isn't recovering as quickly due to accumulated fatigue, dehydration, and cardiac drift. Throw in some heat and humidity and your last interval that feels "just as hard" and has a higher HR number might be as much as 15-20% below the power output for the first interval.

So, by the 4th interval my HR is elevated but my watts are 15-20% < my 1st interval? If I raise my power output to match my 1st interval, what would happen to my HR?

And yes, I realize this is an old thread. If anyone know what the time limit is to reply to threads, please enlighten me.
2014-12-29 8:01 AM
in reply to: Miguel Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

What he is saying is that watt produced during the first interval will almost certainly have a lower heart rate than the same watt produced later in the workout for the reasons he mentioned.

Let's say for example that you're doing 4x8' intervals at 250 watts.  Your HR is likely to increase from interval to interval... while the power remains the same.  The first interval might average 150 bpm while the fourth interval might average 165 bpm.  Or it could be 150 vs 160 or 150 vs 157 or whatever.  Your HR will rise over the duration of the workout given the same effort.  It's just physiology.

He is saying that if you're just pacing off HR and keeping a steady HR that the power will likely be lower in the later stages of the workout.  Using my hypothetical example above... let's say you're trying to keep your HR at 150.  That first interval might be spot on 250 watts.  The fourth interval done at 150 HR will be at a lower power.  Maybe it's 225 or 230 or 235 or 240.  It will be lower.

I think that's all he was trying to say.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using Power Meter with Don Fink's Be Iron Fit Plans Rss Feed