of 15

2013-06-19 7:52 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Subject: RE: Dedicated Ketosis Thread
Originally posted by jobaxas

For the Vinnie Tortorich fans.  I had a phone consult with him today.  The man is funny and wise.

He got me to rethink my training - keep it simple Jo.  Don't add intensity, Z2 is your friend, train in that zone and you will go faster by going slower.

Spoke some about nutrition and how to fuel on this very low carb regime.  I'm terified of giving up the Gu and the Gatorade etc. on race day and long runs.

But he says trust it.  Do what you would do normally - get up have your eggs and some cheese, have your coffee with thick cream and then go.  Nutrition during the race - Ucan, whey protein and some coconut oil will do it. (sounds like azz!)

Told me what I already knew - I can lose another 30lbs.  So onto that!

Just email him via his website if you want a consult (there is a cost)

I'm a big Vinnie fan - I went NSNG in Sept - lost 32 lbs to date, I think I have evened out...I do not do ketosis though - I eat lots of berries and don't want to cut back on them

I am training for IMLP and I do trickle sugar in training as he suggests...It has worked incredibly well for me...it does take time for the body to adjust, but I have been going long on macadamia nuts and coconut oil and water and salt stick. I trickle sugar (as Vinnie has suggested) with Amrita bar, it has worked for me, and I only use it for training on long stuff.... my energy is much more even now going long instead of crashy like it was GU or Gatorade ...

Personally the Ucan didn't work for me but it works for seemingly everyone else, but I have learned I do better on real food! You will have to try stuff and see what works for you.

With Z2 - yup, it's true...stick with it you will get faster....but I have found dosing myself with some occasional speed combined with heavy Z2 work has helped me to get faster. Vinnie might disagree with my thoughts on that, but again, this is what has worked for me.

Mandy

2013-06-19 8:34 PM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I haven't been back to this thread for a long time, with reason. Since Easter Sunday I have been off the wagon so to speak, and I haven't really wanted to talk about that reality with anyone. About 10days before my HIM, I was on the phone with Vinnie talking about it. We talked about getting through the race without re-adjusting much, then re-assessing after. Well, I'm 10days past Eagleman and putting myself back together. Vinnie's recommendation was that a guy like me, with a serious on/off switch might not benefit from ketosis as a model because going in and out is not great. This is true, but I am beginning to think the 12step abstinence model is my only real hope, and combining that with a ketogenic diet, I was seeing my best results. The reasons for my crash are very hard to nail down. I'm in a years-long struggle against my own self-sabotage and fear of success.

I'm back on the NSNG train and plan to stay on it.

2013-06-19 10:15 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Elite
Originally posted by TheClaaaw I haven't been back to this thread for a long time, with reason. Since Easter Sunday I have been off the wagon so to speak, and I haven't really wanted to talk about that reality with anyone. About 10days before my HIM, I was on the phone with Vinnie talking about it. We talked about getting through the race without re-adjusting much, then re-assessing after. Well, I'm 10days past Eagleman and putting myself back together. Vinnie's recommendation was that a guy like me, with a serious on/off switch might not benefit from ketosis as a model because going in and out is not great. This is true, but I am beginning to think the 12step abstinence model is my only real hope, and combining that with a ketogenic diet, I was seeing my best results. The reasons for my crash are very hard to nail down. I'm in a years-long struggle against my own self-sabotage and fear of success.

Absolutely hear that one.

Vinnie is just a good guy trying to do good.  That is all.

2013-06-19 10:17 PM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Elite
Originally posted by manfarr1974

For the Vinnie Tortorich fans.  I had a phone consult with him today.  The man is funny and wise.

He got me to rethink my training - keep it simple Jo.  Don't add intensity, Z2 is your friend, train in that zone and you will go faster by going slower.

Spoke some about nutrition and how to fuel on this very low carb regime.  I'm terified of giving up the Gu and the Gatorade etc. on race day and long runs.

But he says trust it.  Do what you would do normally - get up have your eggs and some cheese, have your coffee with thick cream and then go.  Nutrition during the race - Ucan, whey protein and some coconut oil will do it. (sounds like azz!)

I'm a big Vinnie fan - I went NSNG in Sept - lost 32 lbs to date, I think I have evened out...I do not do ketosis though - I eat lots of berries and don't want to cut back on them I am training for IMLP and I do trickle sugar in training as he suggests...It has worked incredibly well for me...it does take time for the body to adjust, but I have been going long on macadamia nuts and coconut oil and water and salt stick. I trickle sugar (as Vinnie has suggested) with Amrita bar, it has worked for me, and I only use it for training on long stuff.... my energy is much more even now going long instead of crashy like it was GU or Gatorade ... Personally the Ucan didn't work for me but it works for seemingly everyone else, but I have learned I do better on real food! You will have to try stuff and see what works for you. With Z2 - yup, it's true...stick with it you will get faster....but I have found dosing myself with some occasional speed combined with heavy Z2 work has helped me to get faster. Vinnie might disagree with my thoughts on that, but again, this is what has worked for me. Mandy

I'm training for three HIM and then a full in March - the three 70.3's are B races, let's keep the big one as an A race - I have no ambition, i want to finish, yeah be nice if I beat last year's HIM time of 7.40 sub 7 is a realistic target.

He said Z2 will help me achieve that.

I also got told the same thing from Macca and his coach - if you don't have the engine don't fine tune it with Z3 etc, just fix the engine first in Z2.  Intensity for me will come down the track.

2013-06-20 4:04 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Originally posted by manfarr1974

I'm a big Vinnie fan - I went NSNG in Sept - lost 32 lbs to date, I think I have evened out...I do not do ketosis though - I eat lots of berries and don't want to cut back on them I am training for IMLP and I do trickle sugar in training as he suggests...It has worked incredibly well for me...it does take time for the body to adjust, but I have been going long on macadamia nuts and coconut oil and water and salt stick. I trickle sugar (as Vinnie has suggested) with Amrita bar, it has worked for me, and I only use it for training on long stuff.... my energy is much more even now going long instead of crashy like it was GU or Gatorade ... Personally the Ucan didn't work for me but it works for seemingly everyone else, but I have learned I do better on real food! You will have to try stuff and see what works for you. With Z2 - yup, it's true...stick with it you will get faster....but I have found dosing myself with some occasional speed combined with heavy Z2 work has helped me to get faster. Vinnie might disagree with my thoughts on that, but again, this is what has worked for me. Mandy

I'm training for three HIM and then a full in March - the three 70.3's are B races, let's keep the big one as an A race - I have no ambition, i want to finish, yeah be nice if I beat last year's HIM time of 7.40 sub 7 is a realistic target.

He said Z2 will help me achieve that.

I also got told the same thing from Macca and his coach - if you don't have the engine don't fine tune it with Z3 etc, just fix the engine first in Z2.  Intensity for me will come down the track.

Yes, it totally will! I didn't mean to sound like I disagree w/Vinnie because I don't.... I have done Z2 work for a long time - in this cycle, I did Z2 for about 6-8 mos before I did ANY speed work...and before that, I have done almost exclusively Z2 training....so I built the engine, which you totally need to do before even thinking of fine tuning w/speed.

I love Macca too - I assume you've picked up his podcast? Good stuff there!

Anyway, it sounds like you are totally on track with a great plan to meet your goals!!! Good luck!
2013-06-20 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

I haven't been back to this thread for a long time, with reason. Since Easter Sunday I have been off the wagon so to speak, and I haven't really wanted to talk about that reality with anyone. About 10days before my HIM, I was on the phone with Vinnie talking about it. We talked about getting through the race without re-adjusting much, then re-assessing after. Well, I'm 10days past Eagleman and putting myself back together. Vinnie's recommendation was that a guy like me, with a serious on/off switch might not benefit from ketosis as a model because going in and out is not great. This is true, but I am beginning to think the 12step abstinence model is my only real hope, and combining that with a ketogenic diet, I was seeing my best results. The reasons for my crash are very hard to nail down. I'm in a years-long struggle against my own self-sabotage and fear of success.

The most important thing I learned this last year as I managed not to gain any weight back, was to "forgive myself". You have nothing to feel guilty about. You are trying to vanquish one of the worse addiction possible.

One of the trick I now use, is what Vinnie keeps mentioning, put the life into living. I used to think I was done eating all those foods I used to love, which increased the pressure to eat them. Now I know I will enjoy them on occasions, so they are not as tempting.

I can't seem to go to the movie lately and resist the popcorn. I was out with my wife for a meal and a movie the other day. She chose a Restaurant where I can arranged a low carbs meal. I then go and order a Club sandwich with fries. She looked at me all confused, and I said "We both know I won't resist popcorn tonight, I might as well put life into living".

I then spend the next morning telling myself I will have another Club sandwich one day, so I'm ok returning to low carbs.

Keep returning to Low carbs, and don't look at a high carbs meal as failure. It is too much pressure, follow Vinnie and see it as putting life into living.

On another note for those interested, I discovered a great food to bring on long rides. Simple small chunk of cheese cooked in a microwave. I cut them in size 1 by 1 inches, 1/2 an inch thick. I cook about 15 at the same time in a plate for 1 minute 30 seconds. They turn into very thin crispy chips. Very light and easy to carry in a ziploc bag. If you keep them out of the sun, they stay crispy . I chewed about 50 on my last ride with a few pistachios and felt great.

2013-06-28 3:06 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
I'm sure most readers of this thread to whom this will be of interest will already know.... But Fitness Confidential was released on kindle today for a limied ime at $4.99. It goes to 9.99 on Monday.

The word ketosis appears nowhere in the book, but the principles of NSNG and endurance sports are topics we care about here. Check it out. For those who find the Angriest Trainer podcast too vulgar (and let's be honest, lately they're getting into that territory more often) the book pulls no punches but has fewer speedbumps for the easily offended. BTW you dn't need a kindle to buy and read kindle books, i have one, but primarily read my kindle library on iPad. You can get it for Pc or mobile devices too.

2013-07-05 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hi Guys,

Another Vinnie here!;-) Not Tortorich but thought you would enjoy learning more about Ketogenic Dieting and triathlon training on a podcast that I did with Endurance Planet. I've been on it for about 8 months now and also got diabetes type 1, with testing my blood glucose levels 12-15 was just another way to get fully convinced this is the way to go, while Keto isn't necessarely optimal for all athletes, lower carb is a no brainer imo.

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/sports-nutrition-special-former-pro-...

Vinnie
2013-07-08 9:35 AM
in reply to: vinnieds

New user

Hi, I stay at around 30g of carbs per day following Dr. Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. The problem comes when training, my blood sugars drop quickly during the swim especially. So, the last tri I did, I started with a higher blood sugar 170, plus more carbs in my system to cover the exercise and ate more in T1 and T2 to keep me in a safe range. So how can I stay in ketosis if I have to keep eating a ton of carbs to keep me from a hypoglycemic event?
2013-07-09 8:55 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by TheClaaaw I'm sure most readers of this thread to whom this will be of interest will already know.... But Fitness Confidential was released on kindle today for a limied ime at $4.99. It goes to 9.99 on Monday.

The word ketosis appears nowhere in the book, but the principles of NSNG and endurance sports are topics we care about here. Check it out. For those who find the Angriest Trainer podcast too vulgar (and let's be honest, lately they're getting into that territory more often) the book pulls no punches but has fewer speedbumps for the easily offended. BTW you dn't need a kindle to buy and read kindle books, i have one, but primarily read my kindle library on iPad. You can get it for Pc or mobile devices too.

That's why I listen LOL!

Fitness Confidential read - loved it.  Will re-read when I get the real book.  It was tough on the iphone!  Guy makes sense.  He is so giving of his knowledge, I like that.  yeah he has a warped crude humor which makes me love him more.

2013-07-10 9:58 AM
in reply to: vinnieds

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by vinnieds

Hi Guys,

Another Vinnie here!;-) Not Tortorich but thought you would enjoy learning more about Ketogenic Dieting and triathlon training on a podcast that I did with Endurance Planet. I've been on it for about 8 months now and also got diabetes type 1, with testing my blood glucose levels 12-15 was just another way to get fully convinced this is the way to go, while Keto isn't necessarely optimal for all athletes, lower carb is a no brainer imo.

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/sports-nutrition-special-former-pro-...

Vinnie

I will check that out today! I am so glad to see more people coming out publicly about low-carb for endurance. At first it can feel like you're listening to one or two conspiracy-minded nutjobs since anyone can have a website or podcast. But when you see the mounting evidence, and the growing numbers of people, there is clearly something there.

2013-07-10 6:45 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by TheClaaaw
Originally posted by vinnieds Hi Guys, Another Vinnie here!;-) Not Tortorich but thought you would enjoy learning more about Ketogenic Dieting and triathlon training on a podcast that I did with Endurance Planet. I've been on it for about 8 months now and also got diabetes type 1, with testing my blood glucose levels 12-15 was just another way to get fully convinced this is the way to go, while Keto isn't necessarely optimal for all athletes, lower carb is a no brainer imo. http://www.enduranceplanet.com/sports-nutrition-special-former-pro-... Vinnie

I will check that out today! I am so glad to see more people coming out publicly about low-carb for endurance. At first it can feel like you're listening to one or two conspiracy-minded nutjobs since anyone can have a website or podcast. But when you see the mounting evidence, and the growing numbers of people, there is clearly something there.

Guess who was their guest on yesterday's podcast....

2013-07-11 2:06 AM

User image

Regular
Texas
Hey Ketosis peeps . . .
I just did a great interview with Vinnie Tortorich on my podcast today. Please check it out (the address is in my signature line: plant, run, family).

Thanks!
2013-07-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

Elite

Originally posted by baldridges Hey Ketosis peeps . . . I just did a great interview with Vinnie Tortorich on my podcast today. Please check it out (the address is in my signature line: plant, run, family). Thanks!

Can't get enough of the guy, thanks for the heads up!

2013-07-12 9:25 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I am seriously considering going Keto, I have some questions.

Any good books, with “meals” and acceptable food lists. I have found a bunch online, but am more considered about low GI foods and appropriate fats. Protein is not going to be an issue; I just recently was able to end simvastatin for cholesterol and want to be conscious of it.

Training in Keto, I have read that it is ideal for muscle building, I am curious about endurance training. I am still working on getting my mileage up for an early Sept HIM, I have the swim down, and almost to the 13mi run base, and the biking is the unknown. I have a deadline of 8/7/13 to decide if I will be ready. My concern is that I will be cannibalizing muscle when I leave Z2 for training.

I am not planning to go Keto indefinitely, but maybe cycling it and working a weight program over the winter, while in Keto. What duration of time should I look to stay in Keto for? 8-12 weeks?
2013-07-17 10:06 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Regular
Texas
Originally posted by GotBackup
My concern is that I will be cannibalizing muscle when I leave Z2 for training.

I am not planning to go Keto indefinitely, but maybe cycling it and working a weight program over the winter, while in Keto. What duration of time should I look to stay in Keto for? 8-12 weeks?

From what I understand (and I am certainly not an authority on this, just done some research), I think keto is going to be most beneficial for zone 2 training/racing (i.e. longer distances). Once you push up higher into zones 3-4, especially after you pass your lactate threshold, you will have to be in very deep ketosis to keep burning fat as opposed to glycogen, since that is primary what your muscles will look for at higher performance outputs. Saying that, it can be done.

I think length wise, the longer the better. Keto is not something to mess around with as it is very hard on your body to come in and out of it. Once you are in, I think staying in for as long as possible is the best thing you can do.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the training! I am training for a 70.3 in September as well.

2013-07-29 11:15 PM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Hi all,

I've been reading a bit about ketosis and paleo, and am interested in making a switch. I'm about 100lbs overweight (or more) and have tried just about everything to lose weight to no effect. I have pretty much continuously gained weight slowly since puberty, with no ability to lose significant amounts.

Before I got pregnant (last year) I was running 3x/week and biking 2-3x/week, eating 'clean' (or as clean as possible, including whole grains, etc) and in 10 months lost a total of 10 pounds. I haven't been able to get below 220 for 4 years. My allergies are horrible, and no matter how much I run (very very very slowly) I can't get my asthma under control. I talked to my doctor about it, and her only recommendation was to 'continue eating low fat and exercise more.' I'm considering going to an endocrinologist, as thyroid problems run in my family, and while my thyroid numbers are fairly normal, I'm concerned that there are other issues that aren't normally checked for in standard blood tests.

I'm not sure if anyone on here can answer this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm still breastfeeding my son, and was wondering if anyone knew if switching to ketosis will affect my breastmilk. Also, with an eye to the future, will this affect any future pregnancies?

Thanks for all the great info! I'm interested in the podcasts,and hope they can answer some questions or at least point me in the right direction.
2013-07-29 11:47 PM
in reply to: gnome

User image

Elite
Originally posted by gnome Hi all, I've been reading a bit about ketosis and paleo, and am interested in making a switch. I'm about 100lbs overweight (or more) and have tried just about everything to lose weight to no effect. I have pretty much continuously gained weight slowly since puberty, with no ability to lose significant amounts. Before I got pregnant (last year) I was running 3x/week and biking 2-3x/week, eating 'clean' (or as clean as possible, including whole grains, etc) and in 10 months lost a total of 10 pounds. I haven't been able to get below 220 for 4 years. My allergies are horrible, and no matter how much I run (very very very slowly) I can't get my asthma under control. I talked to my doctor about it, and her only recommendation was to 'continue eating low fat and exercise more.' I'm considering going to an endocrinologist, as thyroid problems run in my family, and while my thyroid numbers are fairly normal, I'm concerned that there are other issues that aren't normally checked for in standard blood tests. I'm not sure if anyone on here can answer this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm still breastfeeding my son, and was wondering if anyone knew if switching to ketosis will affect my breastmilk. Also, with an eye to the future, will this affect any future pregnancies? Thanks for all the great info! I'm interested in the podcasts,and hope they can answer some questions or at least point me in the right direction.
2013-07-29 11:53 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gnome Hi all, I've been reading a bit about ketosis and paleo, and am interested in making a switch. I'm about 100lbs overweight (or more) and have tried just about everything to lose weight to no effect. I have pretty much continuously gained weight slowly since puberty, with no ability to lose significant amounts. Before I got pregnant (last year) I was running 3x/week and biking 2-3x/week, eating 'clean' (or as clean as possible, including whole grains, etc) and in 10 months lost a total of 10 pounds. I haven't been able to get below 220 for 4 years. My allergies are horrible, and no matter how much I run (very very very slowly) I can't get my asthma under control. I talked to my doctor about it, and her only recommendation was to 'continue eating low fat and exercise more.' I'm considering going to an endocrinologist, as thyroid problems run in my family, and while my thyroid numbers are fairly normal, I'm concerned that there are other issues that aren't normally checked for in standard blood tests. I'm not sure if anyone on here can answer this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm still breastfeeding my son, and was wondering if anyone knew if switching to ketosis will affect my breastmilk. Also, with an eye to the future, will this affect any future pregnancies? Thanks for all the great info! I'm interested in the podcasts,and hope they can answer some questions or at least point me in the right direction.

Okay as a starting point start reading.  I would highly recommend the new Atkins book and website.  I would start listening to podcasts - Vinnie Tortorich is my choice but there are others.  With Vinnie there's a lot of fun around the serious stuff, but try episode 46 for the science behind the No Sugar No Grains stuff.  Podcast 53 The Andrea Anders interview for a real idea of what you can and can't eat.

And that's it - it's simple.  The first few days to one week are a bit of a struggle - reaching for the sugar coz you feel so lethargic.  But stick with it.

Anyway - good luck and let us know how you go.

Oh regarding breastfeeding I will ask Vinnie.

2013-07-30 8:46 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Originally posted by gnome

Hi all,

I've been reading a bit about ketosis and paleo, and am interested in making a switch. I'm about 100lbs overweight (or more) and have tried just about everything to lose weight to no effect. I have pretty much continuously gained weight slowly since puberty, with no ability to lose significant amounts.

This part of of your post describes me until November 2011, when I finished reading Gary Taubes' books. As I mentioned in many of the posts in this thread, I went on to loose over 100 lbs while feeling no physical hunger.

The important thing is, I've kept if off. I did a sprint in 2012 and my first Oly this summer, planning on HIM next year.

Can't help you with breastfeeding, but if you think of it, our ancestors breastfed their children on a diet of fat and proteins for hundreds of thousands of years. I also never heard of Inuits having problems breastfeeding.

Now, even though I've written many times in this thread, I don't live in Ketosis. I have done it for a few months at a time, and it feels great and it works.

I live my life as a low carber. My goal is to eat food with the lowest possible glycemic index. It is how I lost the weight and kept if off.

I follow Vinnie's advice and put life into living. If I go out I enjoy my meal, even a few extra carbs. If I go to the movies, I enjoy popcorn.

I would be more restrictive if i was in weight loss mode, but i am in maintenance mode and know my insulin resistance level. I can still enjoy a few carbs without bad consequences. I do have to make sure I stay away from some foods. Those foods we all know we can't control and always send us into binges. I have not had added sugar in 3 years, and my last chip was last October.

My wife actually took a picture of me eating my last chip, great memory :-) But I prefer the new memories I'm now making.

Edited by outlandluc 2013-07-30 8:48 AM
2013-07-31 2:59 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Another question for the masses...

I had my gallbladder out several years ago. Now, any time I eat a meal that is very greasy, I spend the next few hours in and out of the bathroom. I know that the liver can adjust the amount of bile it puts out depending on how much fat you generally eat (go over that, and that's when there are issues). Is this something I'm going to have to live with till my liver adjusts to the new levels of fat I'm eating? Has anyone had gallbladder problems or heard of someone with gallbladder issues having problems with this way of eating? Or am I wrong in equating 'grease' with 'fat'?

Another question is about certain grains. Unless you are going 'no-carb', are ones like quinoa OK to eat as part of your carb allowance? Is quinoa better than other grains?

My husband and I are slowly working our way through what carbs are left in the house. Finishing up the potatoes tonight and I have some pasta that needs to go.

2013-07-31 8:18 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gnome Another question for the masses... I had my gallbladder out several years ago. Now, any time I eat a meal that is very greasy, I spend the next few hours in and out of the bathroom. I know that the liver can adjust the amount of bile it puts out depending on how much fat you generally eat (go over that, and that's when there are issues). Is this something I'm going to have to live with till my liver adjusts to the new levels of fat I'm eating? Has anyone had gallbladder problems or heard of someone with gallbladder issues having problems with this way of eating? Or am I wrong in equating 'grease' with 'fat'? Another question is about certain grains. Unless you are going 'no-carb', are ones like quinoa OK to eat as part of your carb allowance? Is quinoa better than other grains? My husband and I are slowly working our way through what carbs are left in the house. Finishing up the potatoes tonight and I have some pasta that needs to go.
Okay if you're going strictly no grains then that's no Quinoa either.

Once your body has adapted to this new way of eating (can take a while depends on the person) then occasional rice or oatmeal is fine.  Even an icecream every now and again - 'put the life into living' (Vinnie Tortorich)

I had my gall bladder removed 7 years ago - my only issue is occasionally avocado or shrimp make my blood pressure drop a bit - weird.  I have no problem processing fat.

I would try it - it could be the combination of fat and carbs that gives you problems.

2013-08-12 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
A few questions about fruits while on a keto diet. I've read some places that say berries and cherries are good. Others say no. Anyone help?

Also, what did you all eat as snacks while you were in the early stages. I don't want ot eat too many fruits, but I'm not sure what else to go for.

Thanks!
2013-08-12 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
A quick search and I found this website for you

http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html

Personally, I stay away from fruit. I'm very content with sour cream, whey, and splenda mixed together into a batter. It tastes like a cheesecake to me. I also like string cheese or a serving of nuts for a snack as well. Atkins got huge attention awhile back when he mentioned pork rinds...I've had those as well....they fit in the low carb category but not the best tasting thing out there. I'm sure there are plenty of other options but what I listed are my go to items.
2013-08-12 6:54 PM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by gnome A few questions about fruits while on a keto diet. I've read some places that say berries and cherries are good. Others say no. Anyone help? Also, what did you all eat as snacks while you were in the early stages. I don't want ot eat too many fruits, but I'm not sure what else to go for. Thanks!

Okay - there are two ways to approach this.

Either go headlong into dietary ketosis and stay there - no fruit really.

If you eat berries and nuts etc you will be borderline ketosis and still lose weight.  Episode 168 of Vinnie Tortorich he explains this.

Up to you.

I am not strict enough so i'm not in ketosis.  Atkins diets you go hardcore the first couple of weeks then re-introduce fruit.

Berries are lower GI.  If you're going the fruit, eat with heavy cream to get the fat in there.  Negates the sugar spike.  I like to eat cheese with my apple and I have strawberries with cream every day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  

of 15