General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-08-14 10:08 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Dedicated Ketosis Thread
I am in ketosis, I eat Cherries, and berries; Raspberries, Strawberries, and very little Blueberries (more sugar then the others). I also eat a few nuts, nothing "sugary". I keep my carbs below 50g, and try to limit even the milk sugars. I have abandoned drinking milk with meals, and will drink 1% if I do. I will also eat a lot of veggies, but you have to look at the GI as with the fruit for them, I eat Cucumber, and peppers. It takes some getting used to, but I feel great and have a seamlessly endless supply of energy. I am rarely hungry and I don’t get the rush and crash.

2013-08-16 12:24 AM
in reply to: manfarr1974

User image

Elite
Originally posted by manfarr1974
Originally posted by jobaxas

For the Vinnie Tortorich fans.  I had a phone consult with him today.  The man is funny and wise.

He got me to rethink my training - keep it simple Jo.  Don't add intensity, Z2 is your friend, train in that zone and you will go faster by going slower.

Spoke some about nutrition and how to fuel on this very low carb regime.  I'm terified of giving up the Gu and the Gatorade etc. on race day and long runs.

But he says trust it.  Do what you would do normally - get up have your eggs and some cheese, have your coffee with thick cream and then go.  Nutrition during the race - Ucan, whey protein and some coconut oil will do it. (sounds like azz!)

Told me what I already knew - I can lose another 30lbs.  So onto that!

Just email him via his website if you want a consult (there is a cost)

I'm a big Vinnie fan - I went NSNG in Sept - lost 32 lbs to date, I think I have evened out...I do not do ketosis though - I eat lots of berries and don't want to cut back on them I am training for IMLP and I do trickle sugar in training as he suggests...It has worked incredibly well for me...it does take time for the body to adjust, but I have been going long on macadamia nuts and coconut oil and water and salt stick. I trickle sugar (as Vinnie has suggested) with Amrita bar, it has worked for me, and I only use it for training on long stuff.... my energy is much more even now going long instead of crashy like it was GU or Gatorade ... Personally the Ucan didn't work for me but it works for seemingly everyone else, but I have learned I do better on real food! You will have to try stuff and see what works for you. With Z2 - yup, it's true...stick with it you will get faster....but I have found dosing myself with some occasional speed combined with heavy Z2 work has helped me to get faster. Vinnie might disagree with my thoughts on that, but again, this is what has worked for me. Mandy

Hey Mandy - congrats on your IM finish - heard your interview on VT - you rockstar!

Jo

2013-08-16 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
PA
I'm in ketosis too. I don't bring it up because I once read a thread where it got bashed pretty badly. I started the year training for my first marathon but I hurt my back and had to stop running for a while. I still have sciatic pain but rather than not do any exercise, I started lifting and training my son for football. I'm now doing 5x5 workouts along with the diet.

I'm down from 235 to 215 and I seemed to have paused on weight loss. However, I a little puzzled because for the first time in my life, I have become stronger as I have lost weight. My bench has gone from 300 to 340 and my last max was 360. I want to continue to lift and on off days, add more cardio to help expedite the fat loss. I feel as though I could potentially get down to the 190 area but my next goal is 200.

Hunting season in PA is coming up so for my diet, I have been clearing the freezer of venison (venison sausage and eggs for breakfast) and fish fillets for dinner. For lunch, I've been eating a lot of chicken or tuna salad on a salad.

2013-08-18 11:11 PM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

Elite

Originally posted by baldridges Hey Ketosis peeps . . . I just did a great interview with Vinnie Tortorich on my podcast today. Please check it out (the address is in my signature line: plant, run, family). Thanks!

Heard you on the VT podcast today - loved it.  Good work!

2013-08-26 7:47 AM
in reply to: #4574544

So I was away from the Keto diet for a few months, but back to and doing a little more research and convinced I could actually do it long term.. My biggest problem is finding easy to fix balanced delicious meals to fix. Today I found at least something! I simply made some Tuna Salad.. Tuna with a little olive oil mayo, onion.. Then get a leaf of romaine, spread a little avocado and a heaping spoonful of the tuna salad to make a sort of tuna salad tamale. I'm going to make a chicken salad version, and I'm pretty sure I could eat this every day..

I also bought some smoked salmon spread.. I might try this on scrambled eggs tomorrow..
2013-08-26 10:00 PM

User image

Regular
Texas
Thanks!

2013-09-04 5:12 AM
in reply to: baldridges

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Hey everyone, my name is mike and im going to try to jump back into low carb training. I've been living "low carb" for 10-12 years. For the most part I stay under 50g/day but I have been getting sloppier the last 2yrs, Im a type1 and did a full iron both years...I cut my insulin usage but I was still using it as an excuse to slip more carbs into my diet.
Anyway, thought Id try to join in the conversation in hopes that it will hold me a little more accountable!
2013-09-11 5:37 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

East Syracuse, New York
7-8 days in...only showing a trace of ketones
2013-09-17 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I am 6 weeks in, the first 3 weeks I wasn't super strict, and still lost about 10lbs (water weight). Still haven't lost a whole lot more the last three weeks that I've been more strict, but I'm feeling better.

Best of all, I put on my jeans today and they FIT! These are the jeans that were pretty loose before I got pregnant. I could 'fit' in them about 6-8 weeks after my son was born, but they were pretty tight and not comfortable to wear for a while. And I haven't worn these since, probably, April or May, when they were still tight (as in, suck it in and do some deep knee bends to loosen them up, and then they still aren't super comfortable). Today, they slid right on, I buttoned and zipped them right up and if I sucked it in, I could take them off without unbuttoning them.

So happy right now.

I'm trying to be in ketosis, and got the sticks, but I don't seem to be able to get into ketosis. I'm registering between trace and small, though last night I was nearly in moderate. But when I woke up this morning I was back to trace. I'm not sure what's going on, but since I'm feeling good and loosing weight, I'm not going to stress about it.
2013-09-17 2:02 PM
in reply to: gnome

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Originally posted by gnome

I am 6 weeks in, the first 3 weeks I wasn't super strict, and still lost about 10lbs (water weight). Still haven't lost a whole lot more the last three weeks that I've been more strict, but I'm feeling better.

Best of all, I put on my jeans today and they FIT! These are the jeans that were pretty loose before I got pregnant. I could 'fit' in them about 6-8 weeks after my son was born, but they were pretty tight and not comfortable to wear for a while. And I haven't worn these since, probably, April or May, when they were still tight (as in, suck it in and do some deep knee bends to loosen them up, and then they still aren't super comfortable). Today, they slid right on, I buttoned and zipped them right up and if I sucked it in, I could take them off without unbuttoning them.

So happy right now.

I'm trying to be in ketosis, and got the sticks, but I don't seem to be able to get into ketosis. I'm registering between trace and small, though last night I was nearly in moderate. But when I woke up this morning I was back to trace. I'm not sure what's going on, but since I'm feeling good and loosing weight, I'm not going to stress about it.

That's the cool thing about low carbing....your body reshapes itself even if the scale doesn't always show it. I wouldn't worry about the keto sticks, if you are drinking a fair share of water, they're not going to work because you are diluting your urine...if results are there, don't sweat it! In your case, things are working so save your money and forget the keto sticks.
2013-09-18 7:58 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Im 15 days in. Swear to god the only carbs i've had are a salad for lunch everyday. Only showing a trace of ketones, sometimes not even that.

I did the atkins thing and read (parts of) his book about 7-8yrs ago...do any of you know if insulin can hamper ketosis? Seems like there was something in his book about keeping insulin levels down. The reason I ask is Im a type1 diabetic on an insulin pump and the constant trickle of insulin into my body is the only reason I can think of that im not in ketosis.

I dont really want to lose weight but would like to burn fat for fuel as it helps with the whole balancing/juggling act of taking in carbs and insulin while training and "racing"...ill keep at it...i think i must be burning fat by now...but its frustrating not to see the pretty colors on my keto sticks : )

2013-09-23 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
It took me about 2.5-3 weeks to start seeing colors after I went super-strict. I guess mileage may vary. Keep it up! Also, the amount of water you're drinking (or not) will have an effect. I can't answer about the insulin pump, but it sounds reasonable.
2013-09-28 5:34 AM
in reply to: gnome

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Ahhh I think the hydration may have been part of it. I usually drink tons of water, I ran into a situation where I didnt have access for several hours and voila...dark purple
2013-10-01 12:57 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hey friends - been reading up on this thread with interest. Like some of the early posters, I am fascinated by nutrition and the different diet/lifestyles out there. I've lost weight on low-carb before but got sick of meat and swung the other direction in favor of a vegetarian/sometimes-vegan lifestyle for probably 8 years. In February I did an 8-week Paleo challenge - it was difficult to start eating meat again, but I've found if I stick to high quality meats I feel much better (mentally).

I also have Celiac Disease so gluten has always been absent from my diet.

My boyfriend started low-carb a few weeks ago (immediately lost 8 pounds in the first week - whoa!) and has mentioned the keto strips so I think he's reading about the Ketosis stuff. I told him after my 20-miler I would do it with him; I'm looking to lose around 10 lbs. In the first 2 weeks I've lost 4 lbs - yay!

Here is my first question:
Do you allow sugar substitutes like Splenda, Stevia, Truvia, etc.? I ask because I see that products like Splenda are no carb, but wondering if feeding the sweet tooth is a good idea at all on this type of diet? Each of us will be different but what has your experience been? 

Second question:
Do you allow sugars/carbs for long training days or racing? Will that negate any progress or is is necessary for long distances? 

Thanks guys - I really like this thread!

2013-10-01 4:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Originally posted by lisac957

Do you allow sugar substitutes like Splenda, Stevia, Truvia, etc.? I ask because I see that products like Splenda are no carb, but wondering if feeding the sweet tooth is a good idea at all on this type of diet? Each of us will be different but what has your experience been? 

Second question:
Do you allow sugars/carbs for long training days or racing? Will that negate any progress or is is necessary for long distances? 

1. I do use sugar substitutes at times. I follow Jonny Bowden and read his book Living Low Carb....he's okay with sugar substitutes right now but if research shows negative things in the future; I'm sure he'll change his tune on them. Typically, I'll only use sugar substitutes at night when I have a scoop of vanilla whey with whipped cream cheese; I'll add Cherry flavored SF coffee syrup for flavor. (cherry cheesecake taste to me...YUMMY!)

2. I'm still dealing with this and don't have a really good answer yet. I know you can do a cycled keto diet where you carb load once a week and then go back to low carb. My wife found another option...you have oatmeal about an hour before you workout to help fuel your workout...then back to low carb. There has been a mention of the book Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain...that's something I may want to read for another option. I've also spoken to someone (who's posted in this forum) that stayed low carb and finished IMLP. She used a product called Amrita Bars to fuel her....they do have carbs but its all natural from dates, dried fruits etc. I've used the bar once and it worked well for me. Hope you can sift through my random thoughts and find something that works for you!

Edited by medeiros13 2013-10-01 4:28 PM
2013-10-01 5:27 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Hey friends - been reading up on this thread with interest. Like some of the early posters, I am fascinated by nutrition and the different diet/lifestyles out there. I've lost weight on low-carb before but got sick of meat and swung the other direction in favor of a vegetarian/sometimes-vegan lifestyle for probably 8 years. In February I did an 8-week Paleo challenge - it was difficult to start eating meat again, but I've found if I stick to high quality meats I feel much better (mentally).

My boyfriend started low-carb a few weeks ago (immediately lost 8 pounds in the first week - whoa!) and has mentioned the keto strips so I think he's reading about the Ketosis stuff. I told him after my 20-miler I would do it with him; I'm looking to lose around 10 lbs. In the first 2 weeks I've lost 4 lbs - yay!

Second question:

I get most of my info on Ketosis from Peter Attia. He has been using himself as a test subject for years and accumulated lots of data. The video in the following link is worth listening to, but for your question, he starts answering at around 20 minutes.

http://eatingacademy.com/personal/my-quantified-self-part-i

1- I still drink a diet cola on occasion and make my own jam with Xylitol. I`ve had no problems with them. Make sure they have no Glycemic effect.

2- According to Peter, the longer you train while burning fat, the more your body adapts to it and the longer you can go before using the Glycogen in your system, bonus for Triathletes. This is what happened to P. Attia when he tested himself, but like he says, everyone is different. I know in my case, that I don`t have as much energy to keep going if I ate carbs.

2013-10-02 5:27 AM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Peter Attia is another good resource...haven't listened to him for awhile. I believe he's a proponent of MCT oil to help you fuel.
2013-10-03 9:27 PM

User image

Elite

Second question:

First question

No i don't - purely because they trick my brain and i think i've had something sweet which makes me want more sweet stuff which i deny myself then feel like i'm deprived.  So i just steer clear.  Plus i have no idea what some of those chemicals may do to me.  I try to eat 'clean' unprocessed food where possible.

Second question

It's a hard one to get used to.  I use UCAN as my fuel/race nutrition - it's a modified starch easily absorbed no GI  issues.  It doesn't give you that super boost that a Gu or a Gel does.  If you need that boost then 'trickle' some sugar - basically a little bite of a chomp or a sip of a gu - that's it.  It gives you enough to get up that hill.

Becoming fat adapted takes time - can be a long time depending on how stuffed your metabolism is after a lifetime of dieting (that's me not you!)

Good luck!

2013-10-07 12:16 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
1:

Yes, I do sparingly. I know there is mixed results as to it insulin effect, but I am fine. I guess you think of sucralose as being something your body doesn’t break down, if my reading and college organic chemistry serve me well, is that it’s a chlorinated sugar molecule, and you lack the enzyme to break the bond. Thus it just gets flushed out as waste. I believe the MCT oil is also a good energy source as you can burn it but lack the ability to store it. I try to limit the amount of chemicals and labs made stuff in my diet, and also try to focus on wild fish (watch for heavy metals and industrial chemicals) and game. I have replace milk with cream, it’s a little different to see a few oz’s of heavy cream in a glass next to my toddlers 2% milk. I believe this is the diet we are supposed to be at evolutionary speaking, and I think the added reliance on grains and Franken foods is a very bad way to go, I know it’s a little hypocritical as I will use lab made sugars. At least it’s not antibiotic or hormone pumped up meat, or a GMO piece of produce or grain.

2:

I drink water, and maybe a wad of peanut/almond butter or some nuts in needed on a long ride/run, I will carry a gel or two just in case, I don’t want to be In the middle of nowhere unable to move.
2013-10-09 12:21 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Veteran
Hi Guys,

I've been on a Ketogenic Diet for a year now. It did wonders to my Diabetes T1 control and also got some performance benefits. I wrote a blog post about based on my experience of former pro athlete and triathlon coach:

http://www.ironguides.net/triathlon-on-a-low-carb-high-fat-diet/

Hope it helps, we are onto some great things here.

Vinnie
2013-10-10 4:14 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Champion
PA
Originally posted by medeiros13
Originally posted by lisac957 Here is my first question:

Second question:

1. I do use sugar substitutes at times. I follow Jonny Bowden and read his book Living Low Carb....he's okay with sugar substitutes right now but if research shows negative things in the future; I'm sure he'll change his tune on them. Typically, I'll only use sugar substitutes at night when I have a scoop of vanilla whey with whipped cream cheese; I'll add Cherry flavored SF coffee syrup for flavor. (cherry cheesecake taste to me...YUMMY!) 2. I'm still dealing with this and don't have a really good answer yet. I know you can do a cycled keto diet where you carb load once a week and then go back to low carb. My wife found another option...you have oatmeal about an hour before you workout to help fuel your workout...then back to low carb. There has been a mention of the book Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain...that's something I may want to read for another option. I've also spoken to someone (who's posted in this forum) that stayed low carb and finished IMLP. She used a product called Amrita Bars to fuel her....they do have carbs but its all natural from dates, dried fruits etc. I've used the bar once and it worked well for me. Hope you can sift through my random thoughts and find something that works for you!

I have been on a keto diet for several months and the results have been fantastic.  My strength has climbed and while I initially lost a lot weight (20lbs), I stopped losing weight and continued to gain muscle / strength.  I'm now stuck at 215 but my last bench was 360lbs.  Because I stopped losing weight, I got even more strict on my diet and my strength started declining and I was always sore.  I believe I was not getting enough calories or protein.

I've made two changes.  I'm now doing the cyclical keto and I decreased my weights 10% and started my workouts over to give my body time to heal. I do 5x5 workouts so that's what I mean by starting over.  My bench was 5 sets of 300 for 5 reps each. I backed that down to 270 and I am back to adding 5lbs more per workout.  

I no longer weigh myself.  I am now just going off of my waist size and ab appearance to steer my diet.  I do struggle with jeans because a 34 waist means I can put my fist inside the waist band but now they are tight on my quads.  I got an epidural for my sciatic nerve pain and now I'm able to do squats.  I am now up to 250lbs and I believe I'll be at 300 rather quickly.  My butt and quads are growing rapidly now. 

I love the diet but there can be no one formula because we all train differently.

I do use Splenda in my coffee but that's it.  On a trip to Milwaukee I cut down on my coffee intake and I dropped weight that week. I have read that mentally, substitutes can trigger something to make your body release insulin as it would when you eat sugars.  I am not clear as to whether or not that was true or not. 

2013-10-11 5:27 AM
in reply to: vinnieds

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Originally posted by vinnieds

Hi Guys,

I've been on a Ketogenic Diet for a year now. It did wonders to my Diabetes T1 control and also got some performance benefits. I wrote a blog post about based on my experience of former pro athlete and triathlon coach:

http://www.ironguides.net/triathlon-on-a-low-carb-high-fat-diet/

Hope it helps, we are onto some great things here.

Vinnie

Hey Vinnie, wanted to say thank you for your blog and all the information you put out there. A few years ago, when I switched from being a "casual jogger" to doing more long distance training I was looking for information on training with type1 diabetes. I found your blog and it was probably the best source of information I found anywhere on the web. Great for all people training in ketosis not just diabetics. Very well done, great information...thank you!
2013-10-18 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Just wanted to share an experience. I ran Chicago Marathon on Sunday, and started eating carbs 2 days before and continued 1 day after - so total of 4 days. I'm talking pizza, nachos, grilled cheese, oatmeal, noodles, cupcakes. Yum. I was really nervous about what it would do to my body since I've had a VERY minimal amount of carbs for ~4 weeks. My weight went up a few pounds after the race (but it usually does) and now I'm down a pound since last Friday. 

I know I can't eat carbs 4 days out of every week but it was comforting knowing that I could fuel myself with what I needed for the marathon and hop right back on the train.

SIDE QUESTION: My sister (Type 1 Diabetic, crazy smart and vigilant about carbs) informed me that wine does not have very many carbs in it (sure enough, my beloved Pinot Noir has less than 5g per 5oz serving), and when she drinks wine she does not compensate ANY insulin for it at all.

Do you guys drink wine on occasion, or just stay away from alcohol all together?

Edited by lisac957 2013-10-18 4:37 PM
2013-10-19 5:32 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
I dont drink at all, but thats because I when i was in my 20's I liked to drink until peeing on the hood of a cop car sounded like a good idea lol.
My wife and I did the atkins thing 10 yrs ago and she drank bacardi and diet coke...0 carbs and it didnt seem to effect her diet at all. So it seemed like it came down to just the carbs...the alcohol didnt seem to mess with the chemistry at all.
2013-10-31 1:32 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Sorry that I'm late to the party...  I decided to give this a try after finally saying "enough is enough" this last weekend.

SO day 4 of my induction phase and I have a few questions.

I seem to be ok during the day, but at night?  I seem to want something in my stomach and protein does NOT do the trick.  I just gut it out, but does that change?  It's hard to sleep with these cravings.

Does low blood sugar/glucose cause training issues?  Fainting/dizziness?

Here's what's crazy.  I was holding steady at 254-255 for weeks, no matter what I did.  But jumped on the scale this morning after 3 days and down 7-8 lbs?  Maybe dehydration, maybe other factors.  ( I haven't been starving myself, but calories are also down about 1000 per day than previously).  Is that normal?

Do I have to fear excessive muscle loss?

Anything else I need to keep an eye out for?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  

of 15