Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-10-31 6:28 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Dedicated Ketosis Thread
Originally posted by Kido

Sorry that I'm late to the party...  I decided to give this a try after finally saying "enough is enough" this last weekend.

SO day 4 of my induction phase and I have a few questions.

I seem to be ok during the day, but at night?  I seem to want something in my stomach and protein does NOT do the trick.  I just gut it out, but does that change?  It's hard to sleep with these cravings.

Does low blood sugar/glucose cause training issues?  Fainting/dizziness?

Here's what's crazy.  I was holding steady at 254-255 for weeks, no matter what I did.  But jumped on the scale this morning after 3 days and down 7-8 lbs?  Maybe dehydration, maybe other factors.  ( I haven't been starving myself, but calories are also down about 1000 per day than previously).  Is that normal?

Do I have to fear excessive muscle loss?

Anything else I need to keep an eye out for?

Make sure you're getting enough fat - fat is the body's preferred fuel.

So night time, try some berries with heavy cream or creme fraiche. If not maybe some cheese. Your blood sugar shouldn't be low enough to cause any faintness or dizzy spells because you're not getting the highs and crashes.

You will feel a bit cr*p for the first week - it's known as the keto flu. But you'll turn a corner and feel great!

2013-11-01 8:53 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Veteran
A few things that I found helped me through the first bit were added salt and sweet potato. I was getting crampy muscles and felt a bit weak.

I think the salt helped with the crampy. (removing processed foods really lowered my salt intake)

The sweet potato added bulk and carbs so I was able to ease the drop in carbs gradually.
2013-11-01 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

It's hard to sleep with these cravings.

Here's what's crazy.  I was holding steady at 254-255 for weeks, no matter what I did.  But jumped on the scale this morning after 3 days and down 7-8 lbs?  Maybe dehydration, maybe other factors.  ( I haven't been starving myself, but calories are also down about 1000 per day than previously).  Is that normal?

The cravings generally go away after 2 weeks, but mentally craving carbs takes a few months. It is a strong addiction. Those 3 days, you mostly lost water, but retaining water is a big problem when eating carbs and responsible for most of the inflammation problems overweight people deal with.

Keep drinking water and make sure you are not thirsty and you'll be fine.

You will actually lose less muscle mass with low carbs eating, because if you keep your insulin low, your fat storage is now fully available and your body will not go into starvation mode as it does on low fat diet.

To keep hunger at bay, increase fat intake, especially saturated.

If you still believe that saturated fat is bad for you, get a blood work after 6 months. You'll be surprised by the results.

Don't forget to increase your salt intake, as your blood pressure will go down.
2013-11-01 5:07 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by jobaxas

Sorry that I'm late to the party...  I decided to give this a try after finally saying "enough is enough" this last weekend.

SO day 4 of my induction phase and I have a few questions.

I seem to be ok during the day, but at night?  I seem to want something in my stomach and protein does NOT do the trick.  I just gut it out, but does that change?  It's hard to sleep with these cravings.

Make sure you're getting enough fat - fat is the body's preferred fuel. So night time, try some berries with heavy cream or creme fraiche. If not maybe some cheese. Your blood sugar shouldn't be low enough to cause any faintness or dizzy spells because you're not getting the highs and crashes. You will feel a bit cr*p for the first week - it's known as the keto flu. But you'll turn a corner and feel great!

Good to know.  I'm feeling off right now.  Though it was stress (and very well could be) but this on top of that feels like I'm coming down with something 24/7 but I'm not.

2013-11-01 5:11 PM
in reply to: outlandluc

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by outlandluc
Originally posted by Kido It's hard to sleep with these cravings.

The cravings generally go away after 2 weeks, but mentally craving carbs takes a few months. It is a strong addiction. Those 3 days, you mostly lost water, but retaining water is a big problem when eating carbs and responsible for most of the inflammation problems overweight people deal with. Keep drinking water and make sure you are not thirsty and you'll be fine. You will actually lose less muscle mass with low carbs eating, because if you keep your insulin low, your fat storage is now fully available and your body will not go into starvation mode as it does on low fat diet. To keep hunger at bay, increase fat intake, especially saturated. If you still believe that saturated fat is bad for you, get a blood work after 6 months. You'll be surprised by the results. Don't forget to increase your salt intake, as your blood pressure will go down.

Thanks,  It was cool to add a pat of butter to my FRIED fish last night!  (well, lightly fried in olive oil)  Butter is the ONE thing I have missed for YEARS in my regular diet sticking to better forms of oils.

2013-11-03 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by outlandluc
Originally posted by Kido It's hard to sleep with these cravings.

The cravings generally go away after 2 weeks, but mentally craving carbs takes a few months. It is a strong addiction. Those 3 days, you mostly lost water, but retaining water is a big problem when eating carbs and responsible for most of the inflammation problems overweight people deal with. Keep drinking water and make sure you are not thirsty and you'll be fine. You will actually lose less muscle mass with low carbs eating, because if you keep your insulin low, your fat storage is now fully available and your body will not go into starvation mode as it does on low fat diet. To keep hunger at bay, increase fat intake, especially saturated. If you still believe that saturated fat is bad for you, get a blood work after 6 months. You'll be surprised by the results. Don't forget to increase your salt intake, as your blood pressure will go down.

Thanks,  It was cool to add a pat of butter to my FRIED fish last night!  (well, lightly fried in olive oil)  Butter is the ONE thing I have missed for YEARS in my regular diet sticking to better forms of oils.

Regardless of whether you decide to stay low carb or not.... definitely take a close look at what has been considered "better forms of oils."

The industrialized vegetable oils that have been pushed on us for decades now, are being shown to be the exact OPPOSITE of what we should be eating. David Gillespie's book Toxic Oil covers this in depth, but from the paleo/ancestral health people to the low carbers, I think I have a general handle on oils to eat and those to avoid:

EAT - fruit oils: avocado, coconut, olive
butter, lard, tallow, duck fat (pastured/grass fed for all of these is strongly preferred)

AVOID - "vegetable oils" : (really grains) ---- corn, soy, canola,

margarine is just satanic

2013-11-03 6:03 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
2014-01-29 2:27 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey.

Haven't made it through the whole thread. Not sure if you guys are still active. Sometimes I think this website is too big, I didn't even know there was a nutritional cafe.

Anyways, came to Ketosis to fix my disgusting addiction to carbs. Has worked. On day 10. Still attempting to find a way to work the diet into my lifestyle. Managed less than 40 net carbs mon-fri last week. But I am lifting heavy and swimming so I decided to go with the cyclical diet and carb up on the weekend.

My lifts are still going down. But so is my weight. I have decided to have a glass of milk in the morning pre workout to just give me a little jump and some post workout carbs floating in my system. Not sure if that will help.

I really wish I discovered this while I was running 70 miles a week. Would have been interesting to try. I have learned tons about my body in the past 10 days and what it takes to function. All very surprising.

If anyone has some advise on making the diet work while lifting heavy it would be appreciated. My other problem is just life at home on the weekends. My wife is supportive but I have a 5 and 3 year old. We eat healthy at home, not a lot of bread, tons of veggies, lean meats (my problem comes more from snacking and what I eat during the week at work). I don't really want them seeing me put butter in my coffee. Ha. Interesting eating the weekend past as I was trying to carb up but really had no stomach for breads or treats until late Sunday afternoon.

So the tentative plan is to experiment with preworkout carbs (probably a glass of milk, maybe add some fruit) to try to keep myself in ketosis and just eat regular with the family on Saturday morning to Sunday evening.
2014-01-29 3:28 PM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Hey Darren, glad you found this thread.
No heavy lifting experience here so I'll let others tackle that. But... butter in your coffee? Do tell

I've been buying sugar free flavored creamers - if you're okay with artificial sweeteners they are delicious. But heck, even the regular stuff only has 5g carbs per serving. Sounds better than butter

Have you thought about integrating sweet potatoes instead of breads or other traditional starches? Those will provide some long-lasting, slow-release energy on your higher-carb days...

2014-01-30 12:50 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by lisac957

Hey Darren, glad you found this thread.
No heavy lifting experience here so I'll let others tackle that. But... butter in your coffee? Do tell

I've been buying sugar free flavored creamers - if you're okay with artificial sweeteners they are delicious. But heck, even the regular stuff only has 5g carbs per serving. Sounds better than butter

Have you thought about integrating sweet potatoes instead of breads or other traditional starches? Those will provide some long-lasting, slow-release energy on your higher-carb days...

I'm sorry, are you people to up to date on the concept of bullet proof coffee.

from the article "Yes, butter. All the benefits of healthy milk fat with none of the damaging denatured casein proteins found in cream." HA

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-...

Actually, I don't use butter. I use two tablespoons whipping cream and a tablespoon of coconut oil. 200 calories of fat in one tasty drink. I also don't blend, or use actual Bulletproof coffee. No way I can make my macros without it. I am not sure how you can even spare 5 grams of carbs to waste in a drink without risking going over. Again, I am still figuring it out. My carbs are still less than 40 or even 30 some days so the idea of 5 carbs in a drink is sacrilege to me and my righteous attitude.

Not sure about the sweet potato. I will experiment. Had another glass of milk before working out today and still right in ketosis. I do miss fruits and veggies for the vitamins. A couple slices of sweet potato would be good. I am made to believe that it is important to stay in ketosis.

Do you test to make sure you are still in ketosis?

2014-01-30 1:20 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Aaah the bulletproof coffee thing... I hear people talk about it but never knew what it was. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I never did keto testing or actually counted carbs (sorry if that makes me a fraud) but I did lose 15 pounds (went from 140lb to 125lb) in the last half of 2013 with simply "low carb." Meats, cheeses, veggies, nuts - general rule of no grains or fruit. Atkins bars/treats and sugar-free products were fine for me but I know some people stay away. The super strict thing is not my style so I guess 5g of carbs was no biggie to me - it was/is usually my breakfast. 

You said you miss veggies... why are you not eating veggies? Anything in the "leaf" group (think spinach) or "flower" group (broccoli, asparagus, mushroom) are no/low carb. I know "fruit" vegetables like peppers (4.3g carbs in 1 cup) and tomatoes (6g carbs for 1 cup cherry tomatoes) start to add up, but at a very low rate.

2014-01-31 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec

Not sure about the sweet potato. I will experiment. Had another glass of milk before working out today and still right in ketosis. I do miss fruits and veggies for the vitamins. A couple slices of sweet potato would be good. I am made to believe that it is important to stay in ketosis.

Do you test to make sure you are still in ketosis?

If you worry about vitamins, keep in mind that half a cup of raw sweet peppers will give you 100% of your Vitamin C daily needs as well as 25% of your Vitamin A. I like mine salted, which help increase my sodium intake and only gives me 2 g of carbs. Also remember that by keeping your carbs low (especially sugar) all the vitamins you get from meat is being absorb instead of ending up in your bladder.
2014-01-31 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by lisac957

Aaah the bulletproof coffee thing... I hear people talk about it but never knew what it was. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I never did keto testing or actually counted carbs (sorry if that makes me a fraud) but I did lose 15 pounds (went from 140lb to 125lb) in the last half of 2013 with simply "low carb." Meats, cheeses, veggies, nuts - general rule of no grains or fruit. Atkins bars/treats and sugar-free products were fine for me but I know some people stay away. The super strict thing is not my style so I guess 5g of carbs was no biggie to me - it was/is usually my breakfast. 

You said you miss veggies... why are you not eating veggies? Anything in the "leaf" group (think spinach) or "flower" group (broccoli, asparagus, mushroom) are no/low carb. I know "fruit" vegetables like peppers (4.3g carbs in 1 cup) and tomatoes (6g carbs for 1 cup cherry tomatoes) start to add up, but at a very low rate.

Nah, didn't mean to suggest you are a fraud HA. Certainly if it is working I wouldn't worry. I do eat Romane, Kale, spinich and celerey in my smoothy in the morning. Those have very few net carbs. I also have a little bit of tomato in it. I do eat a small serving of whatever veggies my wife makes for dinner.

I miss bananas and apples mainly I suppose. Those always felt super healthy to eat. Unfortunately I ate them in abundance.

The pepper idea is a good one. I do find just with cheese, egg and cream consumption as well as trying to eat a bit with the family at dinner, my carbs edge to 40 grams pretty fast.

I am not sold on this for the rest of my life, just until I get my carb cravings under control, but who knows. It is so liberating to learn that it is in fact easier to cut out all carbs than cut out most carbs.
2014-02-07 2:10 AM

Veteran
Lost, Florida
I started this on Tuesday and today I have the biggest headache. I usually don't get headaches, so I wonder if it's the lack of carbs.
2014-02-07 9:07 AM
in reply to: sfm15

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by sfm15 I started this on Tuesday and today I have the biggest headache. I usually don't get headaches, so I wonder if it's the lack of carbs.

Very common. It should pass.

2014-02-26 11:49 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I need to get back into ketosis. I am the only one in the house who eats this way, my wife and kids eat whatever they want, I think most people are in similar situations. I am good until diner for breakfast, I will do Coffee with 1oz of heavy cream, this keeps me full until lunch,

My lunch is usually some high fat meat, salami or the end of my venison sausage stash, with some sliced cheese a few oz’s, and ½ cup 4% fat cottage cheese, with ½ green olives and maybe small piece of fresh fruit.

I will also have a snack of a handful of nuts in the afternoon, and I make baked custard (eggs, cream, vanilla, and a scant amount of Splenda (I need to get some xylitol).

The issue is with dinner, as I can eat around food, but it’s hard to do that when feeding the others who could care less what they eat, and making two meals is very hard to do. What do you others do? I am sure I am fat adapted, and feel fairly good, I know I am consuming under 100g’s of carbs and without precise measuring would guess in the 70’s-80’s. I would like to get to under 50 again.

2014-02-26 12:01 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by GotBackup

The issue is with dinner, as I can eat around food, but it’s hard to do that when feeding the others who could care less what they eat, and making two meals is very hard to do. What do you others do?  

I grew up having to eat a "special diet" when none of my family members had to (diagnosed with Celiac as a baby). My mom would often have items for me, and items for the rest of the family. Since it was not a choice for me, it was just a given - but I don't see why you can't do that yourself. 

Many dinner meals are made up of meat, veggie, starch. Make all three but don't eat the starch? I did this over the holidays when my boyfriend's mother would make dinner every night. Tacos? Eat the meat, cheese and veggies but skip the tortilla. Salmon/veggies/potato? Just skip the potato. It's not always that easy, but if you can suggest some meal plans where you can simply pass on the starch it would be a good place to start.

2014-02-26 1:32 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

I need to get back into ketosis. I am the only one in the house who eats this way, my wife and kids eat whatever they want, I think most people are in similar situations. I am good until diner for breakfast, I will do Coffee with 1oz of heavy cream, this keeps me full until lunch,

My lunch is usually some high fat meat, salami or the end of my venison sausage stash, with some sliced cheese a few oz’s, and ½ cup 4% fat cottage cheese, with ½ green olives and maybe small piece of fresh fruit.

I will also have a snack of a handful of nuts in the afternoon, and I make baked custard (eggs, cream, vanilla, and a scant amount of Splenda (I need to get some xylitol).

The issue is with dinner, as I can eat around food, but it’s hard to do that when feeding the others who could care less what they eat, and making two meals is very hard to do. What do you others do? I am sure I am fat adapted, and feel fairly good, I know I am consuming under 100g’s of carbs and without precise measuring would guess in the 70’s-80’s. I would like to get to under 50 again.

I have very few carbs during the day. Eggs and cheese and canned salmon and cream. Keeps me going pretty good. For dinner, my wife cooks great. Usually some fish or beef or pork or chicken. Sometimes it is in a bbq sauce or something carb loaded, I just scrape it off. My kids are 5 and 2 so I try to be cool because the last thing they need to see is dad being picky. So I will have some of whatever veggie my wife put together. Really, even half of cup of veggies is no biggie. I will have a small small small amount of rice or potato just so the kids see. Again a little bit doesn't hurt. Then I fill my plate with spinach. The key is to eat that spinach, then eat some more. If I don't then that one little potato turns to all the potatoes. Then maybe some cheese or fatty sausage (or scotch) if I feel I am short on calories, which I often am.

If she made something vegetarian I just have a small bit then another can of salmon with the spinach. Its not exciting but it is surprisingly fulfilling.

I am lucky. If we lived off take away or frozen food I don't know if I could handle it. Too much tasty, odds 10/10 for binge.

Oh also tea. If people are going to town on the food. I try for some tea. Sometimes that helps.
2014-02-26 3:21 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by BigDH

Sometimes it is in a bbq sauce or something carb loaded, I just scrape it off. My kids are 5 and 2 so I try to be cool because the last thing they need to see is dad being picky. So I will have some of whatever veggie my wife put together. Really, even half of cup of veggies is no biggie.

Good call there I as well have a 5 and 2 years old, the little one will eat anything edible or not, but the older one is the picky eater unless its crap, she is a crapaterian, but I can get her to eat healthy alternatives like fresh walleye, over fish sticks, but I will not impose my "views" or eating habits on them. I have a few cans of tuna and salmon to add to whatever or eat plain. I think however that carbs are the villains and should be labeled as such, the facts backed up with good science points to that. I think the only problem with fat is its name, and that's the tough sell with the wife, and much of the population that have been miss informed from bad policy and as we know the talking heads are reluctant to admit mistakes.
2014-02-28 1:04 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary

Originally posted by BigDH

Sometimes it is in a bbq sauce or something carb loaded, I just scrape it off. My kids are 5 and 2 so I try to be cool because the last thing they need to see is dad being picky. So I will have some of whatever veggie my wife put together. Really, even half of cup of veggies is no biggie.

Good call there I as well have a 5 and 2 years old, the little one will eat anything edible or not, but the older one is the picky eater unless its crap, she is a crapaterian, but I can get her to eat healthy alternatives like fresh walleye, over fish sticks, but I will not impose my "views" or eating habits on them. I have a few cans of tuna and salmon to add to whatever or eat plain. I think however that carbs are the villains and should be labeled as such, the facts backed up with good science points to that. I think the only problem with fat is its name, and that's the tough sell with the wife, and much of the population that have been miss informed from bad policy and as we know the talking heads are reluctant to admit mistakes.

The biggest step for me has been throwing out food. My whole life I have been the garbage disposal. A couple scoops of potatos left, Darren will finish it, kids haven't finished their meal, Darren will finish it, this cheese looks like it is going bad, Darren will finish it. I can still eat cheese though.

Anyways, I throw tons of food out now. Although, not looking forward to this weekend. My kid is having a birthday party and I know there will be tons of left over pizza. Groan. Just got to give it away to the parents.
2014-03-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4574544

Hello:

Like others, I really, really, really need to get back to low carb eating. I felt wonderful all last year and trained low carb for my first Ironman. Wheels totally fell off between Sept to today. Today is day one of complete fasting for two to three days to kick start myself back to ketosis. It's been an extremely rough period healthwise since September. But I have turned a corner am ready to begin anew.

The fasting period is going to be very difficult. Lots of tea and water. Looking forward to the initial water weight loss and inflammation reduction.

Low carb is the way to go. So excited to be back!

2014-03-19 8:44 AM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all,
Have been on other low carb threads, nice to find this one.

Hey Jay!

Have been low carb for 42 days. Finally was moderate on ketosis strips. Have lost 10 lbs (down 43 total from my highest). Eating "healthy" got me most of the way, have been stuck for a few years. Honestly did expect to lose more. Have been pretty strict about staying between 20-24 grams carb/day and have lowered cals from 1300 down to 950-1050. I know everyone says not to count cals, but seems like the law of physics - if I am burning about 1400 cals I can't take in more than that and lose weight regardless of what I eat.

This has been great! I never would have been able to stick to such low cals when I was eating carbs. My eating was so out of control.

When I'm hungry at night I melt a tsp of coconut oil (refined to avoid coconut taste - have read it doesn't affect benefits) and mix it with a 5 cal. diet drink - Splash or Ocean Spray - yummy.

I have not found artificial sweeteners a problem. Even eat a Quest Bar each day for the fiber (23 gms carb with 18 being fiber) . Tastes like a candy bar and doesn't give me any cravings. Seems body doesn't get "tricked".

Have started to run on treadmill (up to 12 mins.) and 30 mins on stationary bike. Training for sprint was going to start April 1, but I am pretty dedicated to this weight loss - I've been fat for so long. I really want to cross that finish line strong, leading the back of the packers, instead to just surviving. So will put it off longer if it is a choice between diet and training.

Am concerned about working out - have been doing some moderate lifting, just to maintain muscle. My distances are pretty short so I'm thinking that I can do most of my training in ketosis. At least while I have at least 15#s of fat to burn.

Mitzi
2014-03-19 8:46 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Does it make sense that a lunch out, Vietnamese seafood with mixed veggies - obviously no rice or noodles, minimal sauce threw me out of mod ketosis? Two days later in mild almost moderate again. Could it fluctuate daily?

The drinking lots of water diluting pee for strips makes sense in general, doesn't account for that day.

Mitzi
2014-03-20 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Going back and reading this thread.

Jay,
believe you asked about supplements. Concerned about health I take Amazing Grass Green Superfood. Only one of many brands, but it is dried grasses, spirulina, chlorella, maca and enzymes. Serving is one scoop, but I turn that into 15 capsules (buy empty ones at food co-op) and take them throughout the day - esp. if I am having a snack devoid of veggies. Do a moderately high multi, a cal-mag, Gluc/chondrotin/vit D, and a potassium for my restless legs which used to keep my hubbie up at night.

Having an odd experience of losing my appetite - had 848 cals. yesterday, just couldn't get even a salad down at dinner. Getting carb phobic which I'm not totally adverse to as I'm losing weight, lost 13 and about 10-11 lbs from goal weight (which is still over what stupid BMI says I should weight, but I know I'm short and muscular so table is definitely off).

Am concerned about putting off training, but don't want to ruin this successful streak - as this is the only thing that has worked for me. Am also concerned about my ability to maintain healthy eating and weight when I move to a maintenance diet - adding oatmeal, fruit, veggies and beans.

Hope everyone is having a good food day!
Mitzi

2014-03-24 7:09 AM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Hey mitzi, id be careful about not eating enough and shutting your metabolism down...850 cals/day while training doesnt sound like enough to me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  

of 15