General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Savageman 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-16 9:58 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

Subject: RE: Savageman 2013
This is a course that favors the lighter participant. With it being a long course championship event for the Mid-Atlantic Region, good luck in trying to stay "middle of the pack" if you are a mere mortal.

2013-08-17 6:44 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

New user
South Central PA
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Another thing about this race is that everyone talks about the difficulty of the bike course, but the run course is no joke either.

This will be my first Savageman, so I went out yesterday to practice the bike course and the first loop of the run course. The bike course was the most beautiful and scenic ride I've ever done, but also the most brutal. I didn't have any problem with "the wall", but I did have a clear shot the entire time without other bikers in my path. When I saw killer miller coming up on my left - I said to myself "this is going to be painful". That was the hardest portion for me as I was out of my saddle for almost the entire hill(just thankful that I could keep the pedals going around). If I would have had a cog bigger than my 28, I would have been in it. A tough little hill that I wasn't expecting came about 3.5 miles after killer miller. I don't know the name of it (yet), but it was quite steep. I recommend anyone doing this course for the first time to be extremely careful on some of the descents. Some of those turns are very dangerous if you don't have your speed under control. It didn't help that a dump truck thought he owned the whole road during one of those descending turns yesterday. I doubt they'll be on the roads during the race(since it's on a Sunday).

After riding back to my car, I changed into running gear and headed out on that wicked run course. The campground hills weren't too bad, but the firetower road killed me. Firetower road is pretty smooth (for a gravel forest road), but there are many designed rain runoff sections on your way up and of course back down. I'm pretty certain I'll be walking portions of that during race day so my HR doesn't blow through the roof.

It's easy to see why there are so many smiles on race pictures at the finish line - everyone is happy that they were just able to survive such a wicked beast of a course.
2013-08-17 4:26 PM
in reply to: Kenny-A

That was Maynardier Ridge after Killer Miller. It's like a little tap on the forehead that knocks out a heavyweight boxer who has been pummeled for 15 rounds. If your spirit hasn't been totally broken at the top of Maynardier Ridge you can move on home from there. It's still 13 miles to go and no climbs of any substance and a good bit of gradual descending. Those with energy in the tanks can make up some good time there on those who have lost the impetus.
2013-09-13 5:58 AM
in reply to: knyost

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
Leaving today to drive down. A little anxious and a lot excited for this challenge.
2013-09-13 7:01 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

New user
South Central PA
Originally posted by maverickbassets

Leaving today to drive down. A little anxious and a lot excited for this challenge.

Have a good race and hope you earn your brick! Weather looks great with a chilly bike ride. I'll get out there tomorrow morning so I can see the Olympic race finishing.
2013-09-13 7:48 AM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Originally posted by maverickbassets

I only live about an hour away, so I will just drive over tomorrow. I am a bit nervous, too. I had the bike shop put a 28t on my bike, and I have been running up every hill I can, including the steep one on my morning walk with the dog (she loves sprinting up that thing).

Have you seen the weather forecast? It will be nice for the run, but the swim and bike are going to be cold. I am thinking arm warmers and long fingered gloves for the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Savageman 2013 Rss Feed  

of 2